Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,280 members, 7,839,385 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (584) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4452187 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (581) (582) (583) (584) (585) (586) (587) ... (3681) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 12:07am On Jan 18, 2017
I totally understand. Naija is so crazy right now....

EgunMogaji:

Thank you, Sir.

I'm trying to slow down because I'm not really ready for home but I need to roof the main house. Those quotes are making me weak in the knees cheesy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 12:26am On Jan 18, 2017
lastpage:

Wiring! Wiring!! Wiring!!!

Plumbing is bigger in size, heavy, difficult to move and cannot be easily sold

Wiring is smaller in size, more expensive per unit size/weight, you need a lot of it, can be easily moved and if you are stubborn like me and decide to even "put marks" on your cables, it can be stripped and you wont even recognise it if placed in front of you and the internal copper can be melted (and re-used) to completely disguise it! grin

Take the advice as given earlier: Buy your wire NOW and store it where it is safe (where you live now or with trusted people in occupied residence)
Dont do any wiring until you have put-in Iron Doors on ALL External Exits!
Having a "high" Fence and a Gate is a further deterrence, especially in secluded areas.

Finally, wiring would cost you more to replace, as the price keeps rising on a weekly basis, at a faster pace compared to Toilet fittings.

Lastpage!
Thanks a bunch. Well said
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 12:34am On Jan 18, 2017
lastpage:

Wiring! Wiring!! Wiring!!!

Plumbing is bigger in size, heavy, difficult to move and cannot be easily sold

Wiring is smaller in size, more expensive per unit size/weight, you need a lot of it, can be easily moved and if you are stubborn like me and decide to even "put marks" on your cables, it can be stripped and you wont even recognise it if placed in front of you and the internal copper can be melted (and re-used) to completely disguise it! grin

Take the advice as given earlier: Buy your wire NOW and store it where it is safe (where you live now or with trusted people in occupied residence)
Dont do any wiring until you have put-in Iron Doors on ALL External Exits!
Having a "high" Fence and a Gate is a further deterrence, especially in secluded areas.

Finally, wiring would cost you more to replace, as the price keeps rising on a weekly basis, at a faster pace compared to Toilet fittings.

Lastpage!

I have been a victim of stealing of wires at my site with most recent being last month. Wires were pulled out of the wall on a weekend. I was so angry because this could have been prevented if the gate and little space in the fence were not left opened for months. Complete cabling for 11 AC Units were pulled out of the wall. Wires/cables are not cheap at the moment. I had to cough out 550,000 Naira to buy some wires and store in a safe place till we start the wiring again.

In another news, I had to get police involved on one hopeless lying nairaland window fabricator. I paid this nairalander 70% of 1.9 million Naira to make EBM windows for me since first week of November and promised to deliver by Novemeber 27 or so. Since then, this man took 1.2 Million Naira deposit and has been dribbling us since November. I got police involved and they harassed him and asked him to sign undertaken to deliver within two weeks. In fact, they sent me video of the nairalander while he was in police gulag. grin grin

This house could have been completed if this nairalander had respected the agreement to deliver my windows by end of November. Now we put everything on hold because we cannot continue to work without windows.

Police are your friends. If anybody defrauds you, report to the police and they act if you have a case.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 12:39am On Jan 18, 2017
^^

Lucky you. But i dont understand what you meant by "I was so angry because this could have been prevented if the gate and little space in the fence left opened for months."

You mean the gate was left opened for months?. How is that?. Arent you supposed to lock it or you are not currently in nija?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:40am On Jan 18, 2017
Sceptic Tank and Soakaway Pit: Getting the Perspective right

Lets revisit the Sceptic tank and soakaway system as built in Nigeria; the traditional sceptic tank and soakaway system as designed and delivered in Nigeria is not working both as a safe store and treatment of waste. The current Sceptic tank and soakaway system in Nigeria is very damaging to the environment and the ground water.

A Septic Tank is a form of holding chamber utilising a form of internal construction to slow down the flow through the tank unit. The outlet from the septic tank leads to a soakaway system below the ground surface. Sewage enters via the inlet T pipe and discharges to the lower of the tank. Gravity pulls the solids in the sewage to the base and via anaerobic biological action, a scum layer can form on the surface. Effluent (with a very low solids content ) leaves via the outlet T pipe. This can then enter a second or third chamber and then lead to a soakaway drainage system.The basic principle is to remove as much of the solids content from the final effluent as possible.

It is clear that the way we construct sceptic/soakaway in Nigeria doesn't meet or conform to the above requirement. This call for change.

There are chiefly two Sceptic Tank systems leading to a Soakaway: the single chamber and the two chambers. In Nigeria we adopt the single chamber system albeit half measuredly. Please see photos below. You will notice the plumbing works to process the waste for onward transmission to the Soakaway. But we build Sceptic tank just as a storage tank underground WITHOUT plumbing work to treat the waste. When the sceptic tank is full, we evacuate it and dump the waste in the nearest lagoon or river with total disregard for public health. So we contract typhoid fever here and there and we wonder how and why.

SINGLE CHAMBER SCEPTIC TANK

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 12:46am On Jan 18, 2017
Empiree:
^^

Lucky you. But i dont understand what you meant by "I was so angry because this could have been prevented if the gate and little space in the fence left opened for months."

You mean the gate was left opened for months?. How is that?. Arent you supposed to lock it or you are not currently in nija?

When we did the fence and gate, there was a space of about 8 feet left opened beside the gate to enable easy passing on temporary basis. I expected the little space to be sealed within two weeks after the completion of the fence and gate. The contractor is a nairalander too. I warned him about that little space because I paid for it to be completely closed but he ignored my warnings for months. To my surprise, the contractor never did anything to the space beside the gate. It was through that space the thieves gained entry into the property and pulled cables out of the wall. There were other things stolen too and not only cables.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:54am On Jan 18, 2017
So note to the new entrants into home building, especially from abroad.

Reading this last two pages alone should teach you that you are stepping into a land-mined area. Not unpassable, but one must have a road map.

Those that have gone before us have shared or are sharing scars and wounds of war. It's best not to ignore them or assume one is immune.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:55am On Jan 18, 2017
Two Chambers Sceptic Tank leading to a Soakaway system

A septic tank receives all of the wastewater from the house, including toilet, laundry, bathroom and kitchen waste. The main purpose of a septic tank is to separate the solid material and allow the sludge formed to undergo a process known as anaerobic digestion. This has the effect of reducing the sludge volume and therefore the frequency of septic tank emptying by vacuum tanker.

The effluent from a septic tank is disposed of to a soakaway. This should not be allowed to be discharge to a ditch or stream. Such a discharge is a public health risk as done in Nigeria.

The components of a septic tank soakaway system are the septic tank, which in traditionally built systems can be one or two chambers, and the underground soakaway network.

Anaerobic digestion takes place within the septic tank whereby anaerobic micro-organisms develop and partially degrade the receiving wastewater. Within the septic tank solids settle to the floor of the tank and materials such as tissue float to the top of the liquids and form a scum layer.

Within traditionally built tanks there are normally ‘T’ pipes located on the inlet and outlet. The purpose of ‘T’ pipes is to prevent floating material and settled solids from passing through the septic tank and into the soakaway network. Please see photos below.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 1:15am On Jan 18, 2017
FastShipping:

When we did the fence and gate, there was a space of about 8 feet left opened beside the gate to enable easy passing on temporary basis. I expected the little space to be sealed within two weeks after the completion of the fence and gate. The contractor is a nairalander too. I warned him about that little space because I paid for it to be completely closed but he ignored my warnings for months. To my surprise, the contractor never did anything to the space beside the gate. It was through that space the thieves gained entry into the property and pulled cables out of the wall. There were other things stolen too and not only cables.

You made my day!

For every Contractor that thinks he can play smart with other people's "sweat", putting them behind bars is the bottom line and there is no better way to do it than to first get the Police authorities involved (even if you will still take laws into your own hand later but that covers all the "basics". grin )

Is he a "recommended" Nairaland Contractor? Does he have a trail of such behaviour?
Please be more circumspect with these nairaland Contractors, better to be duped by someone you negotiated yourself than by some "packaged" Nairaland Contractor

We need to pay more attention to these things as we are discussing them here..... if possible, let us spend money on securing expensive materials first, fence the land and gate it (especially if secluded) but the bottom line is "never give the thief something that would interest him or worth his effort".
keep all "expensive and handy" valuables out of "site" ... sorry, l mean "sight"! grin grin

Lastpage!

On the other hand, would you consider giving your jobs to one or two Contractors here to "contract out directly" (so they can supervise and ensure delivery when you are indisposed)? it will cost you their supervision fees but it will save you some grief because l think some are just waiting to prey on those who build from abroad.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:22am On Jan 18, 2017
Building a Two Chambers Sceptic Tank and Soakaway pit: the right approach

This was executed in Delta State. We firstly depict the architectural plan drawing which was modified; so the Soakaway include instead of perforated walls as done in Nigeria, I included a soak pit of about 3 meters filled with granite at the bottom of Soakaway. You will also notice the plumbing work to treat the waste in the sceptic tank before transmission to the second chambers and then finally to the Soakaway. The end result is that the sludge is left behind and the waste water treated by the bacteria before being soaked away for further treatment by the soil.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 1:26am On Jan 18, 2017
lastpage:

You made my day!

For every Contractor that thinks he can play smart with other people's "sweat", putting them behind bars is the bottom line and there is no better way to do it than to first get the Police authorities involved (even if you will still take laws into your own hand later but that covers all the "basics". grin )

Is he a "recommended" Nairaland Contractor? Does he have a trail of such behaviour?
Please be more circumspect with these nairaland Contractors, better to be duped by someone you negotiated yourself than by some "packaged" Nairaland Contractor

We need to pay more attention to these things as we are discussing them here..... if possible, let us spend money on securing expensive materials first, fence the land and gate it (especially if secluded) but the bottom line is "never give the thief something that would interest him or worth his effort".
keep all "expensive and handy" valuables out of "site" ... sorry, l mean "sight"! grin grin

Lastpage!

On the other hand, would you consider giving your jobs to one or two Contractors here to "contract out directly" (so they can supervise and ensure delivery when you are indisposed)? it will cost you their supervision fees but it will save you some grief because l think some are just waiting to prey on those who build from abroad.

My contractor seems okay. My problem with him is being slow for my liking grin

No one recommended my contractor to me. I was just looking for an architect/contractor and had to interview three and I decided to go with this particular one. Normally I don't keep contractors around me when they continue to make flagrant actions. I just decided to stick with this contractor to the end. I wouldn't mind recommending him to anyone because I know he can get the job done but mistakes are bound to happen and he has made few. No one is above mistake. The few nairalanders that worked for me in the past were fired because they always think they know better than me in what I want in a house and ended up doing sh1t that I didn't approve of.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 1:28am On Jan 18, 2017
diordaves:
Two Chambers Sceptic Tank leading to a Soakaway system

A septic tank receives all of the wastewater from the house, including toilet, laundry, bathroom and kitchen waste. The main purpose of a septic tank is to separate the solid material and allow the sludge formed to undergo a process known as anaerobic digestion. This has the effect of reducing the sludge volume and therefore the frequency of septic tank emptying by vacuum tanker.

The effluent from a septic tank is disposed of to a soakaway. This should not be allowed to be discharge to a ditch or stream. Such a discharge is a public health risk as done in Nigeria.

The components of a septic tank soakaway system are the septic tank, which in traditionally built systems can be one or two chambers, and the underground soakaway network.

Anaerobic digestion takes place within the septic tank whereby anaerobic micro-organisms develop and partially degrade the receiving wastewater. Within the septic tank solids settle to the floor of the tank and materials such as tissue float to the top of the liquids and form a scum layer.

Within traditionally built tanks there are normally ‘T’ pipes located on the inlet and outlet. The purpose of ‘T’ pipes is to prevent floating material and settled solids from passing through the septic tank and into the soakaway network. Please see photos below.

Nice and informative.

Two Questions:

1.) What is the function of the BAFFLE?

In your last picture (where you have the Sludge in both sides of the Chambers), how did the Sludge get into the second chamber, thinking that it is solid waste that is supposed to rest at the bottom of the first Chamber?

Finally, most people have decided not to mix the Kitchen Sink water and bath water with the toilet water (Both dont go into the same Chamber/Septic tank) so that the Toilet Chamber does not get filled-up with liquid in no time while the Water from the Bath and Kitchen are "filtered" in a Man-Hole first, before being discharged "honourably" into the main Gutter as "pure-water"! shocked undecided

Thanks for sharing.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:31am On Jan 18, 2017
diordaves:
Building a Two Chambers Sceptic Tank and Soakaway pit: the right approach

This was executed in Delta State. We firstly depict the architectural plan drawing which was modified; so the Soakaway include instead of perforated walls as done in Nigeria, I included a soak pit of about 3 meters filled with granite at the bottom of Soakaway. You will also notice the plumbing work to treat the waste in the sceptic tank before transmission to the second chambers and then finally to the Soakaway. The end result is that the sludge is left behind and the waste water treated by the bacteria before being soaked away for further treatment by the soil.

Aren't you still flowing out to the leach field?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:32am On Jan 18, 2017
Beaming

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 1:37am On Jan 18, 2017
FastShipping:

My contractor seems okay. My problem with him is being slow for my liking grin

No one recommended my contractor to me. I was just looking for an architect/contractor and had to interview three and I decided to go with this particular one. Normally I don't keep contractors around me when they continue to make flagrant actions. I just decided to stick with this contractor to the end. I wouldn't mind recommending him to anyone because I know he can get the job done but mistakes are bound to happen and he has made few. No one is above mistake. The few nairalanders that worked for me in the past were fired because they always think they know better than me in what I want in a house and ended up doing sh1t that I didn't approve of.

Its good that you still repose confidence in him.
I agree that no one is above little-little mistakes like this (though it is an expensive one) but l am sure that he would take your words more seriously from now.

As for that one that took money and refused to do your Windows, he better learn not to mess around with you otherwise he would hit the next level of punitive action.
Thanks for showing us how we should treat an errant Contractor.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:37am On Jan 18, 2017
Five Coarse Setting After Beaming

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:42am On Jan 18, 2017
Plastering (Rendering)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:45am On Jan 18, 2017
More Plastering and Plumbing work

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:48am On Jan 18, 2017
3strikes:

who is the constituted Authority in this case?..........I don tell mine...I dont do court but they will comot with begging sef

Abi Tenant wan become "Constituted Authority" over Landlord/Landlady? Ask am how many blocks and cement finished the house?

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:49am On Jan 18, 2017
More Plumbing work

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:52am On Jan 18, 2017
Soak Pit filled with Granite and Decking

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:55am On Jan 18, 2017
Empiree:
I would prefer cutlass and hoe bcus my compound is bushy every 3 months. Make them cut cut and cut until we reach cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin

ROTFL! My kind of security... Ogun Orokin Special ni o.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:56am On Jan 18, 2017
More Deckingand Sceptic Tank sizes guide

There are two sceptic tanks: One at the back of the building and one at the front. They were both built to take parked cars. The measurement for both are same: 20ft long, 9ft deep and 5ft wide at a cost of 700k that is 350k for one.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:02am On Jan 18, 2017
FastShipping:

I have been a victim of stealing of wires at my site with most recent being last month. Wires were pulled out of the wall on a weekend. I was so angry because this could have been prevented if the gate and little space in the fence were not left opened for months. Complete cabling for 11 AC Units were pulled out of the wall. Wires/cables are not cheap at the moment. I had to cough out 550,000 Naira to buy some wires and store in a safe place till we start the wiring again.

In another news, I had to get police involved on one hopeless lying nairaland window fabricator. I paid this nairalander 70% of 1.9 million Naira to make EBM windows for me since first week of November and promised to deliver by Novemeber 27 or so. Since then, this man took 1.2 Million Naira deposit and has been dribbling us since November. I got police involved and they harassed him and asked him to sign undertaken to deliver within two weeks. In fact, they sent me video of the nairalander while he was in police gulag. grin grin

This house could have been completed if this nairalander had respected the agreement to deliver my windows by end of November. Now we put everything on hold because we cannot continue to work without windows.

Police are your friends. If anybody defrauds you, report to the police and they act if you have a case.

I be witness to all the wire purchases and the stealing events o. God save us.. Cements too stolen, not just cables o..
@Empiree, she you dey hear this now...

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:17am On Jan 18, 2017
diordaves:
More Deckingand Sceptic Tank sizes guide
There are two sceptic tanks: One at the back of the building and one at the front. They were both built to take parked cars. The measurement for both are same: 20ft long, 9ft deep and 5ft wide at a cost of 700k that is 350k for one.

@Diordaves, I like this concept very well. Very well thought-out. I will read this yours more in-depth.
Thanks for this innovative ideas. This will be very useful in a big apartment dwellings.

But I have some plastic type made in China which details are sent to me... but they are for smaller use.
I will display them here soon.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 2:29am On Jan 18, 2017
lastpage:

Nice and informative.

Two Questions:

1.) What is the function of the BAFFLE?

In your last picture (where you have the Sludge in both sides of the Chambers), how did the Sludge get into the second chamber, thinking that it is solid waste that is supposed to rest at the bottom of the first Chamber?

Finally, most people have decided not to mix the Kitchen Sink water and bath water with the toilet water (Both dont go into the same Chamber/Septic tank) so that the Toilet Chamber does not get filled-up with liquid in no time while the Water from the Bath and Kitchen are "filtered" in a Man-Hole first, before being discharged "honourably" into the main Gutter as "pure-water"! shocked undecided

Thanks for sharing.

Lastpage!

The baffle is just a separating wall mechanism to separate the three components of a sceptic tank: Solid (shyte), water and oil.

It is possible that some solid stuff might "escape" with the water to the second chamber if the first chamber is not settled.

The first and second chambers are the sceptic tanks for shyte and the soakaway is for kitchen and bath water. So the treatment mechanism is for ONLY partially treated water from the sceptic tank be channelled to the soakaway for further treatment by the soil. The sceptic tank/soakaway as depicted may not need evacuation for possibly more than 12 years. Mind you its a building of six flats.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 2:32am On Jan 18, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Aren't you still flowing out to the leach field?

I didn't adopt the leach field approach due to land constraints and fear of my foundation hence the "soak pit" approach.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:56am On Jan 18, 2017
diordaves:

I didn't adopt the leach field approach due to land constraints and fear of my foundation hence the "soak pit" approach.

So what happens to the mostly liquid matter inside the 3rd tank? And what does this "flow" denote?

I ask these questions because I need to do a septic system for my garage apartment. What I was planning to do has been poopooed as "abule style" and not modern by my little Bro wink

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:26am On Jan 18, 2017
@Diordaves
Does the poo and regular kitchen/bathroom water flow from the same direction?
Or does the kitchen/bathroom water just directly to the third chamber, I didn't see any in-flow pipe... Thx.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 3:28am On Jan 18, 2017
FastShipping:

You didnt have them pay the price for their silliness?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 3:30am On Jan 18, 2017
Lol
mufutau55:

ROTFL! My kind of security... Ogun Orokin Special ni o.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 5:35am On Jan 18, 2017
Breaking NEWS: Local Iron rod price hit N200,000/ton which way Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) ... (581) (582) (583) (584) (585) (586) (587) ... (3681) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kkonsults, akeneobi(m), MrBlock, Chriswazo(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.