Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,193 members, 7,839,062 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (585) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4451513 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (582) (583) (584) (585) (586) (587) (588) ... (3681) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 5:55am On Jan 18, 2017
allCopacetic:
For those sitting on the fence about going green. Take the Leap. As long as its done right, the benefits are .....

Recently, I stopped by at a newly built fuel station in my vicinity on my way out. while waiting in line, I casually glance at a sign post on my right and I read an inscription that instantly grabs my attention…..”Solar Service Station” I immediately read the line again to be sure I was reading right. My first impulse was to look up and assess the kind of roof they managed to mount their panels on , and see if it was true.
Lo and behold, the roof covering was made completely out of solar panels……neatly arranged, neatly secured and neatly connected. I was so impressed. A gas station,.. supplier of PMS, DPK,AGO taking the initiative to go green. Lol, What an amusing Irony. 'When those who have fossil fuel in abundant supply are opting for green energy....it tells a story

See pictures below and read the rest of the story here

https://www.nairaland.com/3565944/solar-service-stations....how-common-these

The future truely is green

August 2016, I saw two Total filling stations in PHC installing off-grid solar power on their roofs. One was at 1st Artillery while the other was around Ikwerre road. I asked a staff and he told me the plan was to gradually go solar for all filling stations.
People don't know Total is also one of the biggest solar energy providers in Nigeria. They did my setup.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:01am On Jan 18, 2017
Chekitaut:
Breaking NEWS: Local Iron rod price hit N200,000/ton which way Nigeria

Not only iron rods, cement has been going up and up in the past weeks.

Which way Nigeria?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 6:14am On Jan 18, 2017
EgunMogaji:

So what happens to the mostly liquid matter inside the 3rd tank? And what does this "flow" denote?

I ask these questions because I need to do a septic system for my garage apartment. What I was planning to do has been poopooed as "abule style" and not modern by my little Bro wink

The flow to first compartment is the shyte and water initially with only the water exiting the last stage as treated water. The principle is just to give more residence (settling) time to the mix to allow natural separation by decantation (the solid shyte at bottom and water at the top). As long as too much chemicals like bleach, antiseptic soaps, etc are not being flushed with the shyte, natural bacteria will thrive in and greatly reduce the solid using available oxygen in air to Hydrogen-Sulphide and methane gas as by products. That's why you need to properly vent the tanks firstly to put oxygen for the bacterial and release the CH4 and h2s.

The scum gets to the second tank during initial use as the levels starts to build from zero level to the height of the baffle/ opening to the second tank. At that point only the scum has reached this level and starts overflowing into the 2nd tank.

The 3rd tank should drain the treated (separated) shyte water into the environment via soak-away. For loose soil it will be filled with rocks to avoid the soil back-flowing and filling the soak-away. The more scum or solid shyte that gets to the soak-away will reduce the permeability (ability to soak away) of the system

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:50am On Jan 18, 2017
44chux:

The flow to first compartment is the shyte and water initially with only the water exiting the last stage as treated water. The principle is just to give more residence (settling) time to the mix to allow natural separation by decantation (the solid shyte at bottom and water at the top). As long as too much chemicals like bleach, antiseptic soaps, etc are not being flushed with the shyte, natural bacteria will thrive in and greatly reduce the solid using available oxygen in air to Hydrogen-Sulphide and methane gas as by products. That's why you need to properly vent the tanks firstly to put oxygen for the bacterial and release the CH4 and h2s.

The scum gets to the second tank during initial use as the levels starts to build from zero level to the height of the baffle/ opening to the second tank. At that point only the scum has reached this level and starts overflowing into the 2nd tank.

The 3rd tank should drain the treated (separated) shyte water into the environment via soak-away. For loose soil it will be filled with rocks to avoid the soil back-flowing and filling the soak-away. The more scum or solid shyte that gets to the soak-away will reduce the permeability (ability to soak away) of the system

Okay, so both the traditional method and this demonstrated method eventually "soaks away into the earth.

The assumption, is that the system you demonstrated would have removed much shyte before the soaking away process starts?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 7:54am On Jan 18, 2017
mufutau55:

@Diordaves, I like this concept very well. Very well thought-out. I will read this yours more in-depth.
Thanks for this innovative ideas. This will be very useful in a big apartment dwellings.

But I have some plastic type made in China which details are sent to me... but they are for smaller use.
I will display them here soon.

Hajji M.

Thanks the able one. We need to move away from current concept which is damaging to public health and in some cases also damaging to the ground water and foundation of the building. Channelling soakaway water to the soil with holes in the block work at foundation level or just below the foundation level as we do means in most cases the foundation is always wet,
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 8:04am On Jan 18, 2017
EgunMogaji:

So what happens to the mostly liquid matter inside the 3rd tank? And what does this "flow" denote?

I ask these questions because I need to do a septic system for my garage apartment. What I was planning to do has been poopooed as "abule style" and not modern by my little Bro wink

That "flow" as you arrowed was supposed to go to the leach or drain field, Please see photo. But I don't have that much land so instead of the "flow" I incorporated a "soak pit" at the bottom of the soakaway filled with granite which is a very effective alternative to the "flow".

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 8:12am On Jan 18, 2017
mufutau55:
@Diordaves
Does the poo and regular kitchen/bathroom water flow from the same direction?
Or does the kitchen/bathroom water just directly to the third chamber, I didn't see any in-flow pipe... Thx.

Hajji M.

The poo water flow into the first chamber and the treated water is channelled to the second chamber. The kitchen and bath water flow into the soakaway. So from the second chamber, treated water of the poo is channelled into the soakaway for onward treatment by the natural soil. This is a very effective system. Apart from inspection or maintenance, the tanks may never need evacuation for a very very long time. This is the approved system in the UK and USA where houses are far off from the nation sewage system.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:14am On Jan 18, 2017
Empiree:
As in fence and gate??. How about those houses without compound?

Do window and door first...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 8:16am On Jan 18, 2017
Chekitaut:
Breaking NEWS: Local Iron rod price hit N200,000/ton which way Nigeria

In under one week I bought 12mm for N1,700, N1,900 and N2,000 all within one week o. Things are happening in Nigeria.......Zimbabwe come to mind
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by florest(m): 8:37am On Jan 18, 2017
mufutau55:

1. Make sure the sides of the windows on the outside is plastered rough or scratched if you intend to put window hoods.
But it's more better if the window hoods are done on the bare blocks for added strength.

2. YES.. no plastering needed if you are going to use POP, no need to plaster the under decking. It will not affect any smoothness because POP sheet will be laid to cover the decking anyway.. unless you just want to screed the under-decking and use cornice on the sides, then you should plaster it...

3. Mine was plastered all the way to the bottom, because it can be scratched on the bottom when laying the skirting for the tiles. I have done many other projects like this in the past and never a problem.

Note and Disclaimer: I am not a qualified professional builder, so all the advise given above is from previous experience only.

Hajji M.
you are on point on every thing you say there. Professional builders will say nothing short of sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 9:21am On Jan 18, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Okay, so both the traditional method and this demonstrated method eventually "soaks away into the earth.

The assumption, is that the system you demonstrated would have removed much shyte before the soaking away process starts?

100% correct.

The only difference is that the drain field would probable never ever clog due to handling of only treated fluid.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Qc1(m): 9:26am On Jan 18, 2017
FastShipping:

I have been a victim of stealing of wires at my site with most recent being last month. Wires were pulled out of the wall on a weekend. I was so angry because this could have been prevented if the gate and little space in the fence were not left opened for months. Complete cabling for 11 AC Units were pulled out of the wall. Wires/cables are not cheap at the moment. I had to cough out 550,000 Naira to buy some wires and store in a safe place till we start the wiring again.

In another news, I had to get police involved on one hopeless lying nairaland window fabricator. I paid this nairalander 70% of 1.9 million Naira to make EBM windows for me since first week of November and promised to deliver by Novemeber 27 or so. Since then, this man took 1.2 Million Naira deposit and has been dribbling us since November. I got police involved and they harassed him and asked him to sign undertaken to deliver within two weeks. In fact, they sent me video of the nairalander while he was in police gulag. grin grin

This house could have been completed if this nairalander had respected the agreement to deliver my windows by end of November. Now we put everything on hold because we cannot continue to work without windows.

Police are your friends. If anybody defrauds you, report to the police and they act if you have a case.

^^^

If I may, I will recommend a nairalander, muyeski for doors and windows. He's a complete gentle man with grate skills and technical customer/clients rep service too. I've posted his work on this thread before. I will go with this guy qualities any day anytime compared to those Turkey imported doors/windows.

During summer 2015 when I was doing the plastering, my electrician charged me amazing price for wiring the whole house that I couldn't even believe that wires were that cheap. However he didn't do any AC wiring because he insisted to wait for the tiling so that the can lay those wires on the floors(before tiling). Like you, I have 11 units too. My concerns now is what you just said, you paid N550k for those wires. My guy wanted just N80k for the same thing just 1.5 years ago. How can one be happy with this kind of price hike? angry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 9:41am On Jan 18, 2017
diordaves:

Thanks the able one. We need to move away from current concept which is damaging to public health and in some cases also damaging to the ground water and foundation of the building. Channelling soakaway water to the soil with holes in the block work at foundation level or just below the foundation level as we do means in most cases the foundation is always wet,

The concepts are one and same. Whether you perforate holes on the upper blocks or you leave the holes on the bottom, your drainage radius is similar except you perforate very close to surface whereby surrounding structure foundations interfere with the permeability and soil wetability.

Where to perforate is mostly dictated by water table in the peak of the raining season
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 11:14am On Jan 18, 2017
diordaves:
More Deckingand Sceptic Tank sizes guide

There are two sceptic tanks: One at the back of the building and one at the front. They were both built to take parked cars. The measurement for both are same: 20ft long, 9ft deep and 5ft wide at a cost of 700k that is 350k for one.
Good job, how many sceptic tanks in total you have for these building
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:47am On Jan 18, 2017
florest:
you are on point on every thing you say there. Professional builders will say nothing short of sir.

Thank you sir.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:13pm On Jan 18, 2017
kopell:
Good job, how many sceptic tanks in total you have for these building

Two sceptic tanks of the same: one at the back of the building and one at the front. So three flats to a sceptic tank. It's a six flat project.

Note, each sceptic tank is made of two chambers and one soakaway unit. The game plan is never to evacuate the tanks but only maintenance.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 1:22pm On Jan 18, 2017
44chux:

August 2016, I saw two Total filling stations in PHC installing off-grid solar power on their roofs. One was at 1st Artillery while the other was around Ikwerre road. I asked a staff and he told me the plan was to gradually go solar for all filling stations.
People don't know Total is also one of the biggest solar energy providers in Nigeria. They did my setup.
That's interesting
Ohh yes...i recall the mention of " Total Solar " in our earlier exchange. Had no idea it was related to the ioc,
Total energy.
Installation must be world class. Must have cost an arm and a leg too.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 2:09pm On Jan 18, 2017
EgunMogaji:
So note to the new entrants into home building, especially from abroad.

Reading this last two pages alone should teach you that you are stepping into a land-mined area. Not unpassable, but one must have a road map.

Those that have gone before us have shared or are sharing scars and wounds of war. It's best not to ignore them or assume one is immune.
Im taking this seriously cos I soon be at that state anytime soon

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 2:33pm On Jan 18, 2017
diordaves:

That "flow" as you arrowed was supposed to go to the leach or drain field, Please see photo. But I don't have that much land so instead of the "flow" I incorporated a "soak pit" at the bottom of the soakaway filled with granite which is a very effective alternative to the "flow".

I don't think this alternative "soak-away" will be able to disposal off the effluent because of the following.
1. At that depth beneath the septic soak away tank, a percolation test cannot be carried out to determine the rate of discharge to surrounding soil.
2. the surrounding soil is too close to the perimeter of building foundation and most code specify a minimum distance between a soak-away system and building foundation perimeter of 15m (see BS 6297)
3. At that level the soak-away pit will fall below or be within 1m from the water table
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jan 18, 2017
abdulwastecx:

I don't think this alternative "soak-away" will be able to disposal off the effluent because of the following.
1. At that depth beneath the septic soak away tank, a percolation test cannot be carried out to determine the rate of discharge to surrounding soil.
2. the surrounding soil is too close to the perimeter of building foundation and most code specify a minimum distance between a soak-away system and building foundation perimeter of 15m (see BS 6297)
3. At that level the soak-away pit will fall below or be within 1m from the water table

Personally, I see this demonstrated system as a big hoopla.

Yes, we need better system that's ecological. This is not it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Baba1010: 2:55pm On Jan 18, 2017
Hi All,

Can you kindly review this design (3bd + 2 bd) and advise of possible changes/adjustment if any. (No measurements on this floor plan as its just a draft)

This is my first build *Diaspora things* smiley and I've learnt a lot from your updates over the time

cc: Hajj mufutau55 , EgunMogaji , abdulwastecx , lastpage , spyder880 etc

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jan 18, 2017
Baba1010:
Hi All,

Can you kindly review this design (3bd + 2 bd) and advise of possible changes/adjustment if any. (No measurements on this floor plan as its just a draft)

This is my first build *Diaspora things* smiley and I've learnt a lot from your updates over the time

Seems okay to me.

My only advice is to bite only what you can chew. Don't overbuild as prices of things on the ground are eye popping now.

Good luck on your project.

PS: If it were my build, I would have both kitchens along the same wall. My concern is that cooking aromas in the main house might waft over to the smaller units living room. Might be inconsequential to most but those are the sorts of things that I look for in great architectural designs, the living arrangements. People live in living rooms and kitchens more than bedrooms.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 3:21pm On Jan 18, 2017
Qc1:

^^^

If I may, I will recommend a nairalander, muyeski for doors and windows. He's a complete gentle man with grate skills and technical customer/clients rep service too. I've posted his work on this thread before. I will go with this guy qualities any day anytime compared to those Turkey imported doors/windows.

During summer 2015 when I was doing the plastering, my electrician charged me amazing price for wiring the whole house that I couldn't even believe that wires were that cheap. However he didn't do any AC wiring because he insisted to wait for the tiling so that the can lay those wires on the floors(before tiling). Like you, I have 11 units too. My concerns now is what you just said, you paid N550k for those wires. My guy wanted just N80k for the same thing just 1.5 years ago. How can one be happy with this kind of price hike? angry

I was going to go for Muyeski to fabricate aluminium windows for me. In fact, I got a good quote from him and ready to pay him but I later decided to go for EBM and I don't think he does EBM so I went for a known EBM fabricator. As it turned out, the EBM fabricator on nairaland is a con man.

About wires, sadly they came back today that I must pay extra 95,000 Naira for the same wire I was quoted 550,000 Naira initially. Prices of wires changed by the time they got to market today. It is sad situation in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:30pm On Jan 18, 2017
diordaves:

Two sceptic tanks of the same: one at the back of the building and one at the front. So three flats to a sceptic tank. It's a six flat project.
Note, each sceptic tank is made of two chambers and one soakaway unit. The game plan is never to evacuate the tanks but only maintenance.

I like the concept... saved for future use... Do you have a good pic or specifications of those white pipes inside the tanks.
But too close to the house for my comfort o, I won't have it too close to the house. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 5:18pm On Jan 18, 2017
adanny01:

From what comes to m mind:
1. Plot survey
2. Topographic survey
3. Setting out
4. Excavation leveling
5. blinding leveling
6. ground floor leveling
7. suspended floors leveling
8. settlement monitoring

In between, there are several activities that are carried out by the surveyor. You will be surprised that the whole landscaping activity depends on the surveyor.

No, i am not Itsekiri.

Plot survey is used for boundary demarcation, right?

Please can you or anyone shed more light on the below:

4. Excavation leveling
5. blinding leveling
6. ground floor leveling
7. suspended floors leveling
8. settlement monitoring
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 5:28pm On Jan 18, 2017
Baba1010:
Hi All,

The design seems okay but, the IInd flat(right part) was poorly designed. The entrance door & the master bedroom for the right part can be problematic. The lobby seem too opened too. Why is the living room just visible to anyone in the lobby & technically from anyone in the bedroom? You should revisit the right side of ur design
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 6:08pm On Jan 18, 2017
Do you think it might be helpful for others to know who this person is, so at least reduce the likelihood of a repeat to your fellow brothers or sisters ?

FastShipping:

I was going to go for Muyeski to fabricate aluminium windows for me. In fact, I got a good quote from him and ready to pay him but I later decided to go for EBM and I don't think he does EBM so I went for a known EBM fabricator. As it turned out, the EBM fabricator on nairaland is a con man.

About wires, sadly they came back today that I must pay extra 95,000 Naira for the same wire I was quoted 550,000 Naira initially. Prices of wires changed by the time they got to market today. It is sad situation in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amanikondo: 6:45pm On Jan 18, 2017
House, for wiring, which is the best. Coleman or Kabelmetal? I want to stock up as suggested here. Topsy will be working on the project.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:17pm On Jan 18, 2017
amanikondo:
House, for wiring, which is the best. Coleman or Kabelmetal? I want to stock up as suggested here. Topsy will be working on the project.

The leading contenders of the same quality are: Nigerchin, Coleman and Kabelmetal. Not in any order o.
I will not hesitate buying any of them... as long as they are original genuine cables. That is why I only pickup from their factory.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by amanikondo: 7:34pm On Jan 18, 2017
mufutau55:

The leading contenders of the same quality are: Nigerchin, Coleman and Kabelmetal. Not in any order o.
I will not hesitate buying any of them... as long as they are original genuine cables. That is why I only pickup from their factory.

Hajji M.

Thanks Hajji.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 7:36pm On Jan 18, 2017
mavverick:
Do you think it might be helpful for others to know who this person is, so at least reduce the likelihood of a repeat to your fellow brothers or sisters ?

Palace Aluminium.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 8:14pm On Jan 18, 2017
Palserltd (Palace Aluminium)

FastShipping:

Palace Aluminium.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (582) (583) (584) (585) (586) (587) (588) ... (3681) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: psychologist(m), topsy23, Rany4all(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.