Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,720 members, 7,824,048 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (582) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4414823 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (579) (580) (581) (582) (583) (584) (585) ... (3671) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 7:25am On Jan 17, 2017
@EGUNMOGAJI , NICE BUILD...
the projection of the first floor, how may feet is it/
it appears to be more than 2ft which i though was the generally accepted distance without going into extensive engineering/calculations
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:30am On Jan 17, 2017
earthrealm:
@EGUNMOGAJI , NICE BUILD...
the projection of the first floor, how may feet is it/
it appears to be more than 2ft which i though was the generally accepted distance without going into extensive engineering/calculations

Oh please not my build o grin

I don't do storied buildings.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Qc1(m): 7:40am On Jan 17, 2017
mufutau55:

Oga Spyder you are very good. As you know not long ago I plastered my .kobo-kobo project
It is a 7 bedrooms duplex but not with spacious bedrooms, but with two large livingrooms,
security house and a generator house. So with OP project it should be about same size.
With my normal bricklayer after haggling, I paid labor for 550k plus bonus and materials is about 700k.
The plastering is for both interiors and exteriors. I don't have all the materials details handy.
The decks were not plastered because we used POP. Thanks.

Some other contractor/bricklayer wanted N850k for labor only... but I ran.

Note: This was before the latest cement increase. So factor that into the new cost.

Last question... I think you should always roof before you proceed to anything else like plastering, plumbing or electrical pipings.

Hajji M.

If you called that big mansion of yours "kobo-kobo", I wonder what you will call standard bungalow? grin grin grin

Ile to ju afin oba lo, eni de be lole so!(your house that is bigger than the King's palace, you have to see to believe!)

@ topic,

I spent about N1.2m when cement was about N2,100/bag. No sooner I finished the plastering the price went back to N1,450/bag. I almost wanted to sue Dangote for refund kia kia!

If I'm not mistaken, 3strikes paid the same.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:49am On Jan 17, 2017
mufutau55:

Oga Spyder you are very good. As you know not long ago I plastered my kobo-kobo project.
It is a 7 bedrooms duplex but not with spacious bedrooms, but with two large livingrooms,
security house and a generator house. So with OP project it should be about same size.
With my normal bricklayer after haggling, I paid labor for 550k plus bonus and materials is about 700k.
The plastering is for both interiors and exteriors. I don't have all the materials details handy.

Some other contractor/bricklayer wanted N850k for labor only... but I ran.

Note: This was before the latest cement increase. So factor that into the new cost.

Last question... I think you should always roof before you proceed to anything else like plastering, plumbing or electrical pipings.

Hajji M.
Oga Hajji M and kobo kobo project are like ! U know the rest grin grin
PS I like the Idea of roofing b4 any wiring or plastering .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:51am On Jan 17, 2017
Qc1:

If you called that big mansion of yours "kobo-kobo", I wonder what you will call standard bungalow? grin grin grin

Ile to ju afin oba lo, eni de be lole so!(your house that is bigger than the King's palace, you have to see to believe!)

@ topic,

I spent about N1.2m when cement was about N2,100/bag. No sooner I finished the plastering the price went back to N1,450/bag. I almost wanted to sue Dangote for refund kia kia!

U were luck Dangote for Sue you back now cos I bought cement N2500 in PH during my decking . .
Me and me elders still dey think wetin to do Dangote angry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Qc1(m): 7:57am On Jan 17, 2017
erico2k2:

U were luck Dangote for Sue you back now cos I bought cement N2500 in PH during my decking . .
Me and me elders still dey think wetin to do Dangote angry

Maybe you should wait till February, I heard cement price always go down around Lover's day.

Na true?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 8:18am On Jan 17, 2017
Qc1:

Maybe you should wait till February, I heard cement price always go down around Lover's day.

Na true?
ahah Lovers day ke, who that romance go help these times? Block and cement? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:31am On Jan 17, 2017
erico2k2:

Roof first and make sure the site is secure before wiring
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Qc1(m): 8:42am On Jan 17, 2017
erico2k2:

ahah Lovers day ke, who that romance go help these times? Block and cement? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by florest(m): 10:16am On Jan 17, 2017
[quote author=mufutau55 post=52670197]

Sorry.. I miss this.
1. I will advise you to continue using the 9inches blocks because of the size of structural columns (pillars) and beams that may already put into the building.
But you can use the 6inches in some areas for partitions. If you are trying to save on cost, 6inches won't save you much money.

2. Sorry this is not easy to estimate because no building is the same. Calculation of the blocks will need the plan with all the measurements
readable on it. If you know how many blocks was used on the ground floor, you could estimate on the top floors.

Hajji M.

I think using 6in. on the upper floor will reduce some weight on the structure if he is not thinking of shedding off some cost.
Between 2700 blocks to 3000 should be for the work
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubyventures: 11:14am On Jan 17, 2017
COLEMAN WIRES.
1. 1.5mm single 8,500

2. 2.5mm single 15.000

3. 10mm single 48,500

4. DSTC cable 1,400

5. 4mm single 20,500
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 11:42am On Jan 17, 2017
God dey o.
Na only house rep you come see give me, where Ghana must go/brown envelope will not reach my side grin.
By the way, you still dey ride your bike ? When you talk about your Bike, i remember sons of anarchy grin grin. Do they still have MC's like that in Cali abi SOA was just too fictional ?

EgunMogaji:

Well, we have three branches.

The Executive branch is led by POTUSON Hajj and VPOTUSON GAbbyTabby. Senate by Skimanksi, Spyder880, Aventures, etc etc. House of Representative by Mavverick, 3Strikes and co (those folks that are multi landlords).

I belong to the opposition party, you know the noisemakers and rebel rousers .

Welcome back.

I say if you haven't earned a righteous long ban then you've not arrived grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 11:44am On Jan 17, 2017
Anyone know the imported raw material used in the production of electrical cables ?

I thought they said we got Copper in abundance, abi my geography teachers no sabi wetin dem dey talk ?

Rubyventures:
COLEMAN WIRES.
1. 1.5mm single 8,500

2. 2.5mm single 15.000

3. 10mm single 48,500

4. DSTC cable 1,400

5. 4mm single 20,500
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 2:20pm On Jan 17, 2017
twinskenny:

Thank you, site must be well secured before wiring. A lot of stealing of wires and cables in most sites now. Cable is easily stolen and portable more than most other materials in any site.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kx: 3:12pm On Jan 17, 2017
mufutau55:

I think you should always roof before you proceed to anything else like plastering, plumbing or electrical pipings.

Hajji M.

Thanks @spyder880, @Mufutau55 and every every!

Surely the plan is to roof and proceed to electrical pipings and then plaster without door and window dressing for now.

Are you saying the decks (decking) needs no plastering if pop is to be done on the decks? would that result in smooth pop on rough decks if no cement plastering was done first and foremost??

More so, someone advised that the wall plaster should stop where the floor/walls tiles skirtle (pardon the spelling) start in order for the wall/floor skirtle to align perfectly with the plastered wall. What's your professional advise on all of the above please (pros and cons of the bolded).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:42pm On Jan 17, 2017
Kx:

Thanks @spyder880, @Mufutau55 and every every!

1. Surely the plan is to roof and proceed to electrical pipings and then plaster without door and window dressing for now.

2. Are you saying the decks (decking) needs no plastering if pop is to be done on the decks? would that result in smooth pop on rough decks if no cement plastering was done first and foremost??

3. More so, someone advised that the wall plaster should stop where the floor/walls tiles skirtle (pardon the spelling) start in order for the wall/floor skirtle to align perfectly with the plastered wall. What's your professional advise on all of the above please (pros and cons of the bolded).

1. Make sure the sides of the windows on the outside is plastered rough or scratched if you intend to put window hoods.
But it's more better if the window hoods are done on the bare blocks for added strength.

2. YES.. no plastering needed if you are going to use POP, no need to plaster the under decking. It will not affect any smoothness because POP sheet will be laid to cover the decking anyway.. unless you just want to screed the under-decking and use cornice on the sides, then you should plaster it...

3. Mine was plastered all the way to the bottom, because it can be scratched on the bottom when laying the skirting for the tiles. I have done many other projects like this in the past and never a problem.

Note and Disclaimer: I am not a qualified professional builder, so all the advise given above is from previous experience only.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kx: 5:25pm On Jan 17, 2017
mufutau55:

...."unless you just want to screed the under-decking and use cornice on the sides, then you should plaster it"
Hajji M.

That's the plan.
I appreciate your wealth of experience and your openness in sharing. Thanks a lot.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:40pm On Jan 17, 2017
Qc1:

I hate this. It can be very annoying. It is like bidding or buying on Ebay. The moment you buy a product for $100, the same EXACT product is displayed for half price.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:45pm On Jan 17, 2017
erico2k2:

Isn't the way it supposed to be?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:48pm On Jan 17, 2017
twinskenny:

As in fence and gate??. How about those houses without compound?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:53pm On Jan 17, 2017
erico2k2:

My brother... Na wah o. Go see Mansion for Lekki o... nah BQ I dey build. but we thank God. smiley

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:57pm On Jan 17, 2017
Empiree:
As in fence and gate??. How about those houses without compound?

NO. Not just fence.... Roof, windows & burglary, front and all exit doors.
My friend installed his wires today and by the time they got there the following morning to continue the work, nothing was left of the wires.. Imagine!

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:59pm On Jan 17, 2017
spyder880:

Thank you, site must be well secured before wiring. A lot of stealing of wires and cables in most sites now. Cable is easily stolen and portable more than most other materials in any site.
You mean after electric wiring and piping are installed, robbers can still steal them?. How about fence and temporary wood gate, is that enough security?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 6:13pm On Jan 17, 2017
mufutau55:

NO. Not just fence.... Roof, windows & burglary, front and all exit doors.
My friend installed his wires today and by the time they got there the following morning to continue the work, nothing was left of the wires.. Imagine!

Hajji M.
I am lost though. Correct me if am wrong. Wiring and piping are in the wall and cemented. How is that possible to steal?.

Currently, mine is fenced and wood gated (temp) but no windows yet. I dont think windows and door are next. I just roofed 2 weeks ago. What do you think I should do now. Windows and doors or plumbing and electric wiring?.

I thought plumbing and electric should come first so i have ordered for quotations. The reason is you said earlier in this post or elsewhere when i sought advice about which should i do first. You said plumbing first before windows to avoid breaking windows. So i have to worry about GBEWIRI now?.

They can even break the windows to get what they want. Right now, my place is surrounded by bushes except for one side
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 6:21pm On Jan 17, 2017
Thanks to all those that mentioned the current prices for Geepee water tank. I appreciate!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 17, 2017
Empiree:
I am lost though. Correct me if am wrong. Wiring and piping are in the wall and cemented. How is that possible to steal?.

Currently, mine is fenced and wood gated (temp) but no windows yet. I dont think windows and door are next. I just roofed 2 weeks ago. What do you think I should do now. Windows and doors or plumbing and electric wiring?.

I thought plumbing and electric should come first so i have ordered for quotations. The reason is you said earlier in this post or elsewhere when i sought advice about which should i do first. You said plumbing first before windows to avoid breaking windows. So i have to worry about GBEWIRI now?.

They can even break the windows to get what they want. Right now, my place is surrounded by bushes except for one side

Don't underestimate the ingeniosity of our people at home due to hunger.

They will pull the wires out.

They've stolen casement windows that is already embedded in cement.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 6:23pm On Jan 17, 2017
mufutau55:

My brother... Na wah o. Go see Mansion for Lekki o... nah BQ I dey build. but we thank God. smiley

Hajji M.
Your house is more than a Boys - quarter, it is a mansion close to the white house in the US. It is also possible you have a bunker in your villa for storing dollars, pounds, Euros, Bit-coins, Japanese yen, Saudi riyals, with a remote control to your bunker and it is impenetrable & well fortified with electronic gadgets from Japan and also an escalator that takes you from your living room to your bunker, the same thing applies to Egunmogaji grin grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jan 17, 2017
mavverick:
God dey o.
Na only house rep you come see give me, where Ghana must go/brown envelope will not reach my side grin.
By the way, you still dey ride your bike ? When you talk about your Bike, i remember sons of anarchy grin grin. Do they still have MC's like that in Cali abi SOA was just too fictional ?

My bike dey for sabbatical, I haven't ridden Gertrude since September last year, but her services will be called up soon when I return to work in March.

Here in SoCal it's one badass bike after the other. Those bikes are real.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 6:26pm On Jan 17, 2017

LMAO @ the stolen embedded casement window. Hunger na bastard! meaning very soon dem fit they steal complete houses...as in move it from Lekki go Ikeja ......hahahahah...They are constituted thieves

EgunMogaji:

Don't underestimate the ingeniosity of our people at home due to hunger.

They will pull the wires out.

They've stolen casement windows that is already embedded in cement.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:35pm On Jan 17, 2017
Empiree:
You mean after electric wiring and piping are installed, robbers can still steal them?. How about fence and temporary wood gate, is that enough security?

Nothing can deter these crooks. Wires are costly so they sell the stolen cables high, this is enough incentive. Please make sure to keep a guard at the site the moment you choose to start the electrical wiring. And please fit the electrical lights, switches and sockets as soon as possible. This will slow them down even if they want to steal the wires.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:41pm On Jan 17, 2017
Empiree:

Wires are the easiest things to steal in a site. It's easier to pilfer than cement or any other thing. The value in the market is high and almost every worker can pull it out of the pipes on the walls. Even other workers not electricians can steal wires.

Leave the wires for last. Just before painting and electrical light fittings.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:54pm On Jan 17, 2017
AngelicBeing:
Your house is more than a Boys - quarter, it is a mansion close to the white house in the US. It is also possible you have a bunker in your villa for storing dollars, pounds, Euros, Bit-coins, Japanese yen, Saudi riyals, with a remote control to your bunker and it is impenetrable & well fortified with electronic gadgets from Japan and also an escalator that takes you from your living room to your bunker, the same thing applies to Egunmogaji grin grin

You never cease to amaze me... Thank you Sir.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (579) (580) (581) (582) (583) (584) (585) ... (3671) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Adedward(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.