Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,915 members, 7,863,187 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 12:44 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (850) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4506449 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (847) (848) (849) (850) (851) (852) (853) ... (3696) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bigrovar(m): 11:00am On Jan 29, 2018
bigrovar:
Hi guys. This is a bit of a long one:

So I have been away (hustling and stuff) and decided to build a low budget functional house for my family and stop the house rent which is becoming a drain. I decided to build on a 50 by 50 plot of land. A basic 2 bedroom bungalow.

I did very basic floor plan (see attached) to allow for enough space for rooms and a packing space which can take 2 cars. I used this tool http://www.sweethome3d.com/ for my floor plan.

Due to my busy schedule, I left the supervision with my brother since he had experience in construction. He hired the technicians and hands for the project while I provided money.

They took the project to lintel level when I came back to inspect it. Unfortunately I was very unhappy with what I saw. Here are my concerns

1) Against my instruction, my brother still went on to mix 9 inches with 6 inches for the outter walls. I told him to use 9 inches for the outter walls of the house all through and reserve the 6inches for the house. This was not done instead 9 inches blocks was used up to window level and 6 inches used to lintel level. I fear that this might affect the structural integrity of the house in future, since the house was designed not to have pillers and DPC was not used in the 3 course foundation.

2) I halted the roofing of the house because the carpenter recommended I use head course which is a casting done round the house 2 courses after the lintel. Is this really necessary?

My brother said the style of laying 6inch blocks on 9inch was fine since I wont be doing parapet and the soil was dry and good and " people do it alot without issues" but am not sold.

Is they any remedy to this before roofing? please gurus in the house. I would appreciate your take. I have attached pictures of the property in its current state.

Hi guys. here is an update on my kobo kobo two bedroom flat. Last time I was here. I needed opinion on how advisable it is to mix 9 inch blocks (to form the base of a bungalow from foundation to window level) with 6inch blocks from window level to lintel. Thanks to all who gave their feedback. The house has moved on since my last post and lots of progress has been made. If all goes to plan I hope to move in within the coming month.

The major problem I am having now is with the tiling. After the flooring and tiling of the house was completed. I noticed some problems with the tiles. some form of discoloration of the joint where two tiles meet. This problem affected the 2 bedroom, living room and kitchen tiles. Non of the bathroom tiles was affected. I initially thought the problem was as a result of bad filling after tile were installed. so I called another tiler to redu the filling. However a day later. I started noticing the same decolonization happening.

I was informed that it might be moisture from the ground.. however if that is the case, why wasn't any of the birthroom floor or even the balcony affected?.. The land is very dry even when we dug the septic tank, we didn't meet water (and that was during the raining season) The flooring and tiling were all done doing the dry season.

I have attached an image that show case the problem.

The first image was after the tiling job was finished (Job was finished sometimes in November, picture was taking mid December

The second image was after the previous filling job was removed and the tiles refilled (using a mixture of white cement and cement)

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 11:00am On Jan 29, 2018
It did look like 2000 liters to me and you rarely get bigger than that.

I device a way to buying 1500 liters cos most of them will sell you 1200 liters for 1500 liters. I first ask for 1200 then ask for 1500.

EgunMogaji:

Thanks but the seller said it’s 2,000 liters.

I wish the manufacturers stamp the size on the thing.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 12:02pm On Jan 29, 2018
Just completed foundation before DPC for 6 flat for someone ie 3 up and 3 down (two 2 bed and four room and parlour self contained) and its

860 blocks (3 coach-bought 1000 160 left)
15 tonnes granite
30 tonnes sharp sand
70 bags of cement remains 4
18 16mm iron for 27 short pillars
10 12mm iron for basket
8 8mm iron for rings
1 bag of nails
1 roll binding wire
setting out
water tank
Carpenter supplied wood with short pillar for 10k( would cost about 18k if i bought my wood)
We dont have to buy laterite but spent about 150k pulling down a structure. and we dont have to buy or rent most small equipments another say 15k

It did cost me about 1m but i think you should be able to get it done for about 1.5m including laterite and supervision and running around of your contractor.

[quote author=Usman4 post=64512067][/quote]

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 12:22pm On Jan 29, 2018
08055710963 and 08125383622 same person

writejhn27:
Please house can anybody recommend any good Carpenter he/she has used before that deliver well for roofing work. Thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 12:24pm On Jan 29, 2018
always ask for written confirmation of this and the breakdown

AngelicBeing:
This reminds me of what happened to me last year, I paid for a land in lagos, it cost 4.5million Naira , I asked them, hope there will be no hidden fees, they said No, to cut a long story short, after payment via my family member since I was not in Nigeria, the crackheads called my contact person in Nigeria that I have to pay extra 1, 700,000quid before allocation papers will be issued to me, l was furious, I wrote to the Special assistant to the Governor, with a detailed explanation of what happened, my letter caused a big problem in the organization because the Special assistant to the governor was angry at the way l was treated, l asked for a full refund or else I will fúçk all of them in different social media, the marketing department called me from Nigeria t to plead with me, l got my full refund back, I would have posted all the details here especially the conversation between me and the special adviser but some of the estate agents and managers are on Nairaland and I don't want to go beyond this based on the agreement l had with them before I got my refund , before you buy any land in all this estate, investigate properly and ask questions because many of them are dodgy and full of balonies grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jan 29, 2018
gabbytabby:
08055710963 and 08125383622 same person

Thanks. Pls can u give more details about him. Have he worked for you before or is he on nairaland. Sorry for the stress
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 1:07pm On Jan 29, 2018
He has worked for me on several occassions. Very good with material estimation also. always agree on how long for cos they might have more than one at a time and if they think one is not urgent........

I would suggest you have about 3 quotes and compare. Quality of work is good and he is reasonable only if you do too much bigman like you be money miss road then they might go bigly on you.

Not on Nairaland

writejhn27:

Thanks. Pls can u give more details about him. Have he worked for you before or is he on nairaland. Sorry for the stress

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jan 29, 2018
gabbytabby:
He has worked for me on several occassions. Very good with material estimation also. always agree on how long for cos they might have more than one at a time and if they think one is not urgent........

I would suggest you have about 3 quotes and compare. Quality of work is good and he is reasonable only if you do too much bigman like you be money miss road then they might go bigly on you.

Not on Nairaland

Thanks for the info mate. Much appreciated
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:29pm On Jan 29, 2018
gabbytabby:
Just completed foundation before DPC for 6 flat for someone ie 3 up and 3 down (two 2 bed and four room and parlour self contained) and its

15 tonnes granite
30 tonnes sharp sand
10 12mm iron for basket
8 8mm iron for rings
1 bag of nails
1 roll binding wire
setting out
water tank
Carpenter supplied wood with short pillar for 10k( would cost about 18k if i bought my wood)
We dont have to buy laterite but spent about 150k pulling down a structure. and we dont have to buy or rent most small equipments another say 15k

It did cost me about 1m but i think you should be able to get it done for about 1.5m including laterite and supervision and running around of your contractor.

Good, this is what I cal HANDS ON Approach!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 4:12pm On Jan 29, 2018
gabbytabby:
always ask for written confirmation of this and the breakdown

Noted and thanks although I asked and asked over the phone before I made the initial payment of 4.5million Naira, my family member was physically with them at the office, I spoke with some of the officials in the marketing department and they told me, I will not pay extra money and there is no hidden fees, after having that assurance from them, I instructed my family member to proceed with the transaction, but it is rather unfortunate that they messed up and I took them to the cleaners, I am so grateful to the Special advisers intervention because I heard some people had to wait 6months and above before they were refunded and the useless criminals in the marketing department deducted so much from all of them, l guess l was lucky because of my approach via the Special adviser and I got my money intact with apologies, lesson learnt, some of these estate agents are what I call the hands of Esau but the voice of Jacob, once you part with your money to them, that is when they will come with all manner of c..ock and bull stories grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 6:44pm On Jan 29, 2018
Saw this on Facebook. What do y'all think of the price shocked

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1638818706215370&id=100002617699721&ref=content_filter

I think it says 10bedrooms all ensuite with visitor's toilets

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 7:00pm On Jan 29, 2018
Empiree:
Saw this on Facebook. What do y'all think of the price shocked

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1638818706215370&id=100002617699721&ref=content_filter

I think it says 10bedrooms all ensuite with visitor's toilets
Hian, 100 million Naira for that house that looks like an asylum center, l didn't bother to open the link, except the house is close to the US white house, the Seat of government of either UK, France or it shares neighborhood with Hollywood stars before I will give it a thought or else I will pass tongue

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:05pm On Jan 29, 2018
AngelicBeing:
Hian, 100 million Naira for that house that looks like an asylum center, l didn't bother to open the link, except the house is close to the US white house, the Seat of government of either UK, France or it shares neighborhood with Hollywood stars before I will give it a thought or else I will pass tongue
lol it does have parking lot inside though
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jan 29, 2018
AngelicBeing:
Hian, 100 million Naira for that house that looks like an asylum center, l didn't bother to open the link, except the house is close to the US white house, the Seat of government of either UK, France or it shares neighborhood with Holyrood stars before I will give it a thought or else I will pass tongue

$286,000 grin

He’s smoking Chinese plastic weed.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 7:07pm On Jan 29, 2018
EgunMogaji:

$286,000 grin

Gbam, l concur, Chinese weed mix with Baraga cigarettes cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jan 29, 2018
I hate those mega estates and prefer petite ones like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FvFlzBWkJg

Ghana try no be small. They even have street view level maps angry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 7:12pm On Jan 29, 2018
Empiree:
lol it does have parking lot inside though
Even it has a parking space for 30 cars, I will pass, this is the kind of buildings Donald Trump calls shithole Hahaha, with 100million naira cash, l will called spyder880, Abdulwastecx, Adventures and some other competent guys on here and they will guide me properly on where to invest it in good locations grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:15pm On Jan 29, 2018
bigrovar:

Hi guys. here is an update on my kobo kobo two bedroom flat. Last time I was here. I needed opinion on how advisable it is to mix 9 inch blocks (to form the base of a bungalow from foundation to window level) with 6inch blocks from window level to lintel. Thanks to all who gave their feedback. The house has moved on since my last post and lots of progress has been made. If all goes to plan I hope to move in within the coming month.

The major problem I am having now is with the tiling. After the flooring and tiling of the house was completed. I noticed some problems with the tiles. some form of discoloration of the joint where two tiles meet. This problem affected the 2 bedroom, living room and kitchen tiles. Non of the bathroom tiles was affected. I initially thought the problem was as a result of bad filling after tile were installed. so I called another tiler to redu the filling. However a day later. I started noticing the same decolonization happening.

I was informed that it might be moisture from the ground.. however if that is the case, why wasn't any of the birthroom floor or even the balcony affected?.. The land is very dry even when we dug the septic tank, we didn't meet water (and that was during the raining season) The flooring and tiling were all done doing the dry season.

I have attached an image that show case the problem.

The first image was after the tiling job was finished (Job was finished sometimes in November, picture was taking mid December

The second image was after the previous filling job was removed and the tiles refilled (using a mixture of white cement and cement)

had similar issue solved with help of white or yellow cement..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 7:15pm On Jan 29, 2018
EgunMogaji:
I hate those mega estates and prefer petite ones like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FvFlzBWkJg

Ghana try no be small. They even have street view level maps angry
This is beautiful and the houses are well arranged with beautiful flowers but if I buy something like this, I will remove the flowers, I don't want reptiles as co_ tenants grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:18pm On Jan 29, 2018
AngelicBeing:
Even it has a parking space for 30 cars, I will pass, this is the kind of buildings Donald Trump calls shithole Hahaha, with 100million naira cash, l will called spyder880, Abdulwastecx, Adventures and some other competent guys on here and they will guide me properly on where to invest it in good locations grin
LOL

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:23pm On Jan 29, 2018
EgunMogaji:

$286,000 grin

Really, to be honest, with that structure like that in New York, it is considered multiple family house with garage like that and in gated compound definitely would cost btw 700k to $1m if the house is located in New York. Go to zillow or realtytrac, you will see non-brick houses that cost 500-800USD in New York. But i cant buy for that price in naija

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jan 29, 2018
AngelicBeing:
This is beautiful and the houses are well arranged with beautiful flowers but if I buy something like this, I will remove the flowers, I don't want reptiles as co_ tenants grin

This is what I want to be doing in my retirement in a few years in Western states.

But first I hope Uncle Spyder880 can take me in as an apprentice.

How do apprentices get punished by Oga? Do they beat them with rolled up building plan or worse? grin

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 7:54pm On Jan 29, 2018
EgunMogaji:

This is what I want to be doing in my retirement in a few years in Western states.

But first I hope Uncle Spyder880 can take me in as an apprentice.

How do apprentices get punished by Oga? Do they beat them with rolled up building plan or worse? grin
Oh l see, great idea, I think building apprentices get punished either by carrying 3000 blocks on site alone, working from 6am to 6pm with 100 naira bread and pure water plus been paid 500 naira daily as punishment.. Lol, I am kidding though, let spyder880 explain better grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jan 29, 2018
Empiree:
Really, to be honest, with that structure like that in New York, it iw considered multiple family house with garage like that and in gated compound definittly would cost btw 700k to $1m if the house is located in New York. God to zillow or realty track, you will see non-brick houses that cost 500-800USD in New York. But i cant buy for that price in naija

There’s more to a house in the us than just the structure itself as you know.

1) sewer system
2) electricity
3) closeness to schools
4) closeness to shopping
5) other similar structures namesrby for valuation
6) fire department
7) Police
cool road network
9) insurance which will consider build quality
10) code enforcement

The list goes on and on.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 8:07pm On Jan 29, 2018
EgunMogaji:

There’s more to a house in the us than just the structure itself as you know.

1) sewer system
2) electricity
3) closeness to schools
4) closeness to shopping
5) other similar structures namesrby for valuation
6) fire department
7) Police
cool road network
9) insurance which will consider build quality
10) code enforcement

The list goes on and on.
true.... but here we talking about the building in itself. Let's just assume it is located in NY with everything you mentioned readily available.

Definitely would sell way higher than 286usd
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jan 29, 2018
Empiree:
true.... but here we talking about the building in itself. Let's just assume it is located in NY with everything you mentioned readily available.

Definitely would sell way higher than 286usd

There’s no way to evaluate a building outside of its area. In real estate we call it “comps”. Comparative value.

Anyways, it’s good. I hope he sells it and the buyer is happy.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 8:27pm On Jan 29, 2018
EgunMogaji:

There’s no way to evaluate a building outside of its area. In real estate we call it “comps”. Comparative value.

Anyways, it’s good. I hope he sells it and the buyer is happy.
true but I can't buy it in naija for that price tag. It should be a little less than #50m
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:36pm On Jan 29, 2018
gabbytabby:

15 tonnes granite
30 tonnes sharp sand
10 12mm iron for basket
8 8mm iron for rings
1 bag of nails
1 roll binding wire
setting out
water tank

Only 15tons of granite for footing & pillars for d foundation?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 9:39pm On Jan 29, 2018
Micky4rl:
I hate to mention names but in this case, the deed has been done. I also bought a plot of land in one of Adron's estate and it was only after I'd paid close to 2 million naira for the plot that they told me of the extra charges amounting to almost 1.25 million naira.

In all honesty, for the total amount paid I could have bought something just as good in Lagos with clear terms and conditions clearly laid out before money changes hands.

Very important lesson I learnt is not to take anything for face value and probe for the finer details before parting with my hard earned money.

Be careful out there brothers !!!
worst part of them is that they won't allocate your land until you are ready to build, their Infrastructure is very poor.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GallantGalaxy: 10:24pm On Jan 29, 2018
Blinding, footings and short pillars

Rubbiish:

Only 15tons of granite for footing & pillars for d foundation?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 10:58pm On Jan 29, 2018
Empiree:
Really, to be honest, with that structure like that in New York, it iw considered multiple family house with garage like that and in gated compound definittly would cost btw 700k to $1m if the house is located in New York. God to zillow or realty track, you will see non-brick houses that cost 500-800USD in New York. But i cant buy for that price in naija
When you said New York be specific, if New York City.The biggest City in USA, well I can say yes. Otherwise, there are many beautiful counties in New York State that are very affordable.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 11:48pm On Jan 29, 2018
kopell:
When you said New York be specific, if New York City.The biggest City in USA, well I can say yes. Otherwise, there are many beautiful counties in New York State that are very affordable.
yes, NYC.

I notice the building is what we considered 4 family house in New York

(1) (2) (3) ... (847) (848) (849) (850) (851) (852) (853) ... (3696) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Philipok, Dam5reey(m), FEGEITOK, OFunke24 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.