Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,804 members, 7,841,121 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (852) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4456576 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (849) (850) (851) (852) (853) (854) (855) ... (3682) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 4:29pm On Jan 30, 2018
Empiree:
the building in question is located in downtown on Woodward. It is not smart of you to put all your money in one basket. C'mon now, that's not a good business strategy. I don't do that. You gotta spread. But then, can you afford new houses?
U don't really get my story.
The house was new and the new house was for sale very cheap
I din't want to deal in D town and I stayed out of D town
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fash78(m): 4:30pm On Jan 30, 2018
Hello house. I am not sure if this question has been asked before and answered. What is a fair percentage of the rent a lawyer or property manager is entitled to? I am renting a unit for 1M and a lawyer I want to hire to manage the property is asking for 10% of that. Is that what is the going rate in Lagos? I welcome contributions from the house.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 4:53pm On Jan 30, 2018
GoodFaith:

If you have invested $1m in estate in MI six year ago today ur $1m is about $5m
that's right. grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 4:56pm On Jan 30, 2018
GoodFaith:

How do u know I put my money in one basket, U can't fail with estate?
With the prices year back

It was like ford motor stock was $1.75
yes, I understand business do fail sometimes. But my RE is at the micro stage. I don't deal at the higher level. I wanna eat my bread and butter slowly and quietly shocked

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:05pm On Jan 30, 2018
GoodFaith:

U don't really get my story.
The house was new and the new house was for sale very cheap
I din't want to deal in D town and I stayed out of D town
why you don't want to deal in DT?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 5:12pm On Jan 30, 2018
Empiree:
why you don't want to deal in DT?
Getting people to pay rent in DT is a federal case
So all dealing was in Southfield, Bloomfield,
Thing are going too expense in Southfield moving into Redford
i am getting ready to do one deal in DT but I am holding off
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:12pm On Jan 30, 2018
fash78:
Hello house. I am not sure if this question has been asked before and answered. What is a fair percentage of the rent a lawyer or property manager is entitled to? I am renting a unit for 1M and a lawyer I want to hire to manage the property is asking for 10% of that. Is that what is the going rate in Lagos? I welcome contributions from the house.
Man, San ida mewa re grin

Pay the 10% tithe cheesy

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:14pm On Jan 30, 2018
GoodFaith:

Getting people to pay rent in DT is a federal case
So all dealing was in Southfield, Bloomfield,
Thing are going too expense in Southfield moving into Redford
so what's your position, are you RE investor or tenant?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 5:14pm On Jan 30, 2018
The Key word is negotiation
The most is 10% and First month rent
U can ask for Half month rent and 7%
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 5:16pm On Jan 30, 2018
Empiree:
so what's your position, are you RE investor or tenant?
Investor - last 7 years
I have put my all to it
It has started to pay off
I will tell u, I am cash break
just keep moving stuff crazy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:18pm On Jan 30, 2018
GoodFaith:

Investor - last 7 years
I have put my all to it
It has started to pay off
now your are talking. I thought you complaining to me cheesy

E ma je mula yin ló o cheesy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 5:21pm On Jan 30, 2018
Empiree:
now your are talking. I thought you complaining to me cheesy

E ma je mula yin ló o cheesy
dude it is hell to trying to do all the deals together and doing cash
Like i told u , I am cash break
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OtunbaLeXuS(m): 5:54pm On Jan 30, 2018
Good evening wonderful people,

Pls I need someone who is conversant with Ogun State (Ifo axis) town planning code, to tell me the minimum set back for sides of a building plan in Ogun for Town planning approvals.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 6:08pm On Jan 30, 2018
fash78:

If He is managing your properties that is collecting rent on your behalf from your tenants if you are not in the country a small percentage of the rents payable should be paid to him as comics ion or fees but not as high as 10%

But if he is to do the agreement for tennats for your apartments he will be paid legal fees which is 5% and that should not come from your pocket , if he insist tell him to Bleep off and get credible estate agents and valuers to assist you they do even charge more than 5% from he tenants in most cases.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 6:13pm On Jan 30, 2018
bigrovar:

Hi guys. here is an update on my kobo kobo two bedroom flat. Last time I was here. I needed opinion on how advisable it is to mix 9 inch blocks (to form the base of a bungalow from foundation to window level) with 6inch blocks from window level to lintel. Thanks to all who gave their feedback. The house has moved on since my last post and lots of progress has been made. If all goes to plan I hope to move in within the coming month.

The major problem I am having now is with the tiling. After the flooring and tiling of the house was completed. I noticed some problems with the tiles. some form of discoloration of the joint where two tiles meet. This problem affected the 2 bedroom, living room and kitchen tiles. Non of the bathroom tiles was affected. I initially thought the problem was as a result of bad filling after tile were installed. so I called another tiler to redu the filling. However a day later. I started noticing the same decolonization happening.

I was informed that it might be moisture from the ground.. however if that is the case, why wasn't any of the birthroom floor or even the balcony affected?.. The land is very dry even when we dug the septic tank, we didn't meet water (and that was during the raining season) The flooring and tiling were all done doing the dry season.

I have attached an image that show case the problem.

The first image was after the tiling job was finished (Job was finished sometimes in November, picture was taking mid December

The second image was after the previous filling job was removed and the tiles refilled (using a mixture of white cement and cement)

Did u do german floor sir?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 6:17pm On Jan 30, 2018
Melahou:
Please Engineer and building in the house...
what is the likely estimate for the under listed for a 4 bed room bungalow and 2 single room and parlor and a gate house.

Location is awoyaya.

1. Pegging of the foundation
2.Digging and Blinding
3.Welding work for the raft and pillars
4.Bricklayer & casting of the raft
5.Carpenter to box the raft
Sir for this, u will need to first get architectural drawings to get a reasonable quote.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 6:29pm On Jan 30, 2018
GoodFaith:

dude it is hell to trying to do all the deals together and doing cash
Like i told u , I am cash break
I understand. Nothing comes easy. But then, if you complain, let me tell you about David investor in Atlanta. The dude is a silent millionaire. I met him in Georgia to purchase a small vacation home. He is nigerian from OYO. He owns hundreds of thousands of properties and lost counts. He drove me around Georgia to show me. He even had shares at a franchise hotel called super8 where i slept. I thought he was joking or lying until i woke up the following morning from my hotel room he paid for. The workers there are caribbean and white people. They started greeting him "yes sir". "morning sir". Thats when i realised i just met a "big guy". But he is somewhat simple looking fellow cheesy . I dont want to exaggerate but i will give you minimum descriptions of his properties along highway in Dekalb county. While we were driving by semi-highway, on both sides of the highway are buildings that belong to him. He kept saying "look, these are my houses, and these ones and all through". He was going 25MPH. I was like Lord, how do you cope with tenants?. This is too much. You definitely need to hire superintendents and standardize your business. He just looked at me and said nothing. He actually does everything from his home. Pretty much home business. You know, usually folks do RE on the side while they go to regular job?. So i asked him how he goes to to work with all these burdens?. He said this is his full time job. The guy changes his wardrobe every 6 months according to him and give to salvation army. And also lost $700k in a deal at the time i visited him.

Apart from these building along highway, he took me to the inside different counties (suburb) to show me his other properties for sale. Believe me, he has keys on them locked down with alarms. Matter of fact, some tenants were outside at the time we were driving on the highway and waved to him. After we got to the last house he showed me, i asked him again about coping with those houses especially the ones on highway?. He said he is tired (too much money) cheesy and some tenants are living for free for yrs bcus he can't keep track like he used to. If prospective buyers want to see the house, he doesn't need to go with them. He simply gives them code to unlock and he changes the code afterward. He said he only pick me up to show me around bcus i am from out of state. He doesn't do that for no one. So govt has offered to step in bcus those houses along highway are close to the airport. Govt wants to develop the area and build hotels and airport facilities. They are offering him cash. He said he was still thinking whether to accept the offer or not and they gave him time.

That was it until i returned home. These properties range from 15k-100,000. The one i wanted to buy from him in another county was only 5k (3 bedrooms bungalow close to major city near Atlanta '96 took place. This was in 2013. And ofcourse, he got caught up with irs in the process cuz we went back and forth to his tax man's office. David has not been to nigeria since 1995. He has website he advertises his properties. Can you handle this?. His website is http://investorsdelight.com/?doing_wp_cron=1517332090.1303451061248779296875

I haven't talked to him since and i think he took my advice after i left, that he needs to forget what happened to him in nija and revisit home. A yr after, i noticed he has expanded his business in lagos. So in order not to exaggerate his houses on the highway, at the minimum at least his houses extend 1 mile long before we turned unto another street. Real estate is not easy but it is fun at the same time. You gain and you lose.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:53pm On Jan 30, 2018
fash78:
That rate is what is referred to as "by the books professional fee.
The higher the total amount on rental, the lower the percentage to collect by any lawyer/estate agent.
Every rate is negotiable.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 7:02pm On Jan 30, 2018
Empiree:
I understand. Nothing comes easy. But then, if you complain, let me tell you about David investor in Atlanta. The dude is a silent millionaire. I met him in Georgia to purchase a small vacation home. He is nigerian from OYO. He owns hundreds of thousands of properties and lost counts. He drove me around Georgia to show me. He even had shares at a franchise hotel called super8 where i slept. I thought he was joking or lying until i woke up the following morning from my hotel room he paid for. The workers there are caribbean and white people. They started greeting him "yes sir". "morning sir". Thats when i realised i just met a "big guy". But he is somewhat simple looking fellow cheesy . I dont want to exaggerate but i will give you minimum descriptions of his properties along highway in Dekalb county. While we were driving by semi-highway, on both sides of the highway are buildings that belong to him. He kept saying "look, these are my houses, and these ones and all through". He was going 25MPH. I was like Lord, how do you cope with tenants?. This is too much. You definitely need to hire superintendents and standardize your business. He just looked at me and said nothing. He actually does everything from his home. Pretty much home business. You know, usually folks do RE on the side while they go to regular job?. So i asked him how he goes to to work with all these burdens?. He said this is his full time job. The guy changes his wardrobe every 6 months according to him and give to salvation army. And also lost $700k in a deal at the time i visited him.

Apart from these building along highway, he took me to the inside different counties (suburb) to show me his other properties for sale. Believe me, he has keys on them locked down with alarms. Matter of fact, some tenants were outside at the time we were driving on the highway and waved to him. After we got to the last house he showed me, i asked him again about coping with those houses especially the ones on highway?. He said he is tired (too much money) cheesy and some tenants are living for free for yrs bcus he can't keep track like he used to. If prospective buyers want to see the house, he doesn't need to go with them. He simply gives them code to unlock and he changes the code afterward. He said he only pick me up to show me around bcus i am from out of state. He doesn't do that for no one. So govt has offered to step in bcus those houses along highway are close to the airport. Govt wants to develop the area and build hotels and airport facilities. They are offering him cash. He said he was still thinking whether to accept the offer or not and they gave him time.

That was it until i returned home. These properties range from 15k-100,000. The one i wanted to buy from him in another county was only 5k (3 bedrooms bungalow close to major city near Atlanta '96 took place. This was in 2013. And ofcourse, he got caught up with irs in the process cuz we went back and forth to his tax man's office. David has not been to nigeria since 1995. He has website he advertises his properties. Can you handle this?. His website is http://investorsdelight.com/?doing_wp_cron=1517332090.1303451061248779296875

I haven't talked to him since and i think he took my advice after i left, that he needs to forget what happened to him in nija and revisit home. A yr after, i noticed he has expanded his business in lagos. So in order not to exaggerate his houses on the highway, at the minimum at least his houses extend 1 mile long before we turned unto another street. Real estate is not easy but it is fun at the same time. You gain and you lose.
U Understand
My last project I was putting in 70 hours a week that include my 40hours at my regular job
The cheapest of my property is $60k
You said it all "Real estate is not easy but it is fun at the same time."
tenants most pay me . I have followed tenant to bankrupt court
One of the reason I didn't do D town the court system is more in support of the tenants in D town
I can move a tenant out in 45 days the reason for asking for a month and half security deposit
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Usman4: 7:08pm On Jan 30, 2018
gabbytabby:
Just completed foundation before DPC for 6 flat for someone ie 3 up and 3 down (two 2 bed and four room and parlour self contained) and its

860 blocks (3 coach-bought 1000 160 left)
15 tonnes granite
30 tonnes sharp sand
70 bags of cement remains 4
18 16mm iron for 27 short pillars
10 12mm iron for basket
8 8mm iron for rings
1 bag of nails
1 roll binding wire
setting out
water tank
Carpenter supplied wood with short pillar for 10k( would cost about 18k if i bought my wood)
We dont have to buy laterite but spent about 150k pulling down a structure. and we dont have to buy or rent most small equipments another say 15k

It did cost me about 1m but i think you should be able to get it done for about 1.5m including laterite and supervision and running around of your contractor.

Thank you very much ma'am (Gabbytabby). Very useful information. I really appreciate you.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Melahou(m): 7:12pm On Jan 30, 2018
Rubbiish:

Sir for this, u will need to first get architectural drawings to get a reasonable quote.

I have the drawers
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:23pm On Jan 30, 2018
GoodFaith:

U Understand
My last project I was putting in 70 hours a week that include my 40hours at my regular job
One of the reason I didn't do D town the court system is more in support of the tenants in D town
I can move a tenant out in 45 days the reason for asking for a month and half security deposit
Take it easy with these hours ooo. That's a killer. Wait oo, this cities you mentioned earlier, aren't they in the DT?. Never heard of them. I dont live in DT. I only visit since 2013 after i dumped Atlanta. Now you gave me heads up about DT court system. But guess what?. I wont be pained. NYC court system is worst. They back tenant. It was bloomberg administration that enacted pro-tenant law. At the minimum, if everything goes smooth without either party play games, it takes 90days. You first go to lawyer to issue one month quit notice to tenant. If tenant move out, thats good news. If not, you then start court proceeding. Give at least two weeks before court date. After that, you and tenant go to court. If you win, which is another extra one month minimum. Believe me, court will give tenant one month to move. You see three months already gone. Right there judge or resolution room would tell tenant to come back to court if he cant move with convincing evidence why a month is not enough (which most of them do). So after one month, you better pay marshal the first time you go to court. If you wait till the end of his/her tenancy before you pay marshal, tenant will take advantage and live another 2 months. Marshal eviction is taking up to two months in NYC now. I had a tenant lived in my house 11 months rent free 7yrs ago. It was tough time for me.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 7:28pm On Jan 30, 2018
Empiree:
Take it easy with these hours ooo. That's a killer. Wait oo, this cities you mentioned earlier, aren't they in the DT?. Never heard of them. I dont live in DT. I only visit since 2013 after i dumped Atlanta. Now you gave me heads up about DT court system. But guess what?. I wont be pained. NYC court system is worst. They back tenant. It was bloomberg administration that enacted pro-tenant law. At the minimum, if everything goes smooth without either party play games, it takes 90days. You first go to lawyer to issue one month quit notice to tenant. If tenant move out, thats good news. If not, you then start court proceeding. Give at least two weeks before court date. After that, you and tenant go to court. If you win, which is another extra one month minimum. Believe me, court will give tenant one month to move. You see three months already gone. Right there judge or resolution room would tell tenant to come back to court if he cant move with convincing evidence why a month is not enough (which most of them do). So after one month, you better pay marshal the first time you go to court. If you wait till the end of his/her tenancy before you pay marshal, tenant will take advantage and live another 2 months. Marshal eviction is taking up to two months in NYC now. I had a tenant lived in my house 11 months rent free 7yrs ago. It was tough time for me.
Outside Detroit-
if u back to Detroit try to reach me
Outside Detroit-
Rent due on the 3rd
send out seven days notice
Tenant failed to pay before the seven days notice
file papers with the court- court schedule hear within two weeks
After court hearing you have 10 day to pay
if you fail to pay
file eviction notice within three days
U will see the court officer ready to move u out
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:32pm On Jan 30, 2018
GoodFaith:

U Understand
The way you said @bold got me laughing. Truly they MUST. It is very annoying when they start playing games. This happened in Brooklyn NY around the time i had issue with mine. The nigerian guy killed his tenant by stabbing her to death. He was frustrated bcus court system failed him. They kept extending the lady's stay in his house. He was sentenced i think to 25yrs. I didnt allow this thought to come over me at all. I was frustrated too.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:32pm On Jan 30, 2018
GoodFaith:

Out Detroit-
Cool, i wll.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jan 30, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 7:40pm On Jan 30, 2018
Empiree:
The way you said @bold got me laughing. Truly they MUST. It is very annoying when they start playing games. This happened in Brooklyn NY around the time i had issue with mine. The nigerian guy killed his tenant by stabbing her to death. He was frustrated bcus court system failed him. They kept extending the lady's stay in his house. He was sentenced i think to 25yrs. I didnt allow this thought to come over me at all. I was frustrated too.

I told u I follow a tenant to bankruptcy court
I don't play with my rent
I am bless to work four days a week , If I am not on call
So I have time to play the BS with tenants
Court system work in the areas I have my properties
The main reason I stayed out of Detroit
I put money in my properties
one of my kitchen
me and my handy man put the kitchen together

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 7:45pm On Jan 30, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I’ve heard that these are not your full prices.

Why do you omit the full prices that include surveys, etc

This is borderline false advertisement.

That's the truth. They will be coming up with charges you never knew existed.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:49pm On Jan 30, 2018
GoodFaith:

I told u I follow a tenant to bankruptcy court
I don't play with my rent
I am bless to work four days a week , If I am not on call
So I have time to play the BS with tenants
Court system work in the areas I have my properties
The main reason I stayed out of Detroit

Damn you must have seen hell the way you sound. That's what i do actually. Four (4) days a week so i can have time for their madness. Now let me ask you how you handle additional 'tenants' like family members or friends who crept in and stay permanently without formally informing you?. You really mean tenant to the point of bankrupting them. I wanted to make that move in 2010 against one but lawyer and broker told me to let it slide.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 7:50pm On Jan 30, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Thank you, Sir. I'll be looking forward to this.

Now we just need KolaShangOne to do an estate for us in Ibadan.

Nairalanders Estate, Ibadan branch.. grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:53pm On Jan 30, 2018
EgunMogaji:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHLaWw_PnQY
i was scared to watch at first knowing too well you wanted to throw something at my face grin cheesy Indeed, tax thing is hell. I think it is best to pay it off as soon as it is due instead of waiting 1 year or 2. Taxes piled up by then. And also not to overwork in the sense that one should not simply buy bunch of properties just bcus they are cheap. If possible hold on to just one for a while and manage it like that before moving forward. Otherwise, it may be too overwhelming.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jan 30, 2018
Empiree:
i was scared to watch at first knowing too well you wanted to throw something at my face grin cheesy Indeed, tax thing is hell. I think it is best to pay it off as soon as it is due instead of waiting 1 year or 2. Taxes piled up by then. And also not to overwork in the sense that one should not simply buy bunch of properties just bcus they are cheap. If possible hold on to just one for a while and manage it like that before moving forward. Otherwise, it may be too overwhelming.

May I ask you something?

Why do you think I would want to throw something at your face?

I don't do East Coast, if I did then I would most likely be doing what you are doing.

(1) (2) (3) ... (849) (850) (851) (852) (853) (854) (855) ... (3682) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: oduncojamaica(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.