Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,768 members, 7,855,270 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 05:20 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (854) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4490224 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (851) (852) (853) (854) (855) (856) (857) ... (3690) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 6:34pm On Jan 31, 2018
Nbg4real:
cc: spyder88
Hajj mafuta
Egunmogoji and co.
you would need a bitumen based coat. I don't have an idea of any brand but I'm sure there would be some around.
No paint can entirely prevent a decking against constant exposure to water. Epoxy based paint could have worked but it weakens eventually on exposure to sunlight (ultraviolet rays).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 6:40pm On Jan 31, 2018
true2home:

This happened in State of Maryland, Greenbelt to be precise. That city is notorious for backing tenant. It was funny at first for me too because I was thinking the case was a simple one. After three months, I realized what am in for.

I didn't want the money at all. I wanted her to leave but the lawyer said that the court will not even entertain that. The first thing in this town is to file for Non payment, then progress forward from there. The thing drove me to think of crazy stuff to do, but I no want go jail for stupid and racist people.

Lots of drama grin cheesy But why must landlord file non-payment first?. Can't he just file eviction?. Non-payment is complicated. Once i notice certain tenant behavior is not conforming, I don't bother about money. I just want to let them go. When did yours happen?. You know you could have kept the house now if bank didnt file for foreclosure. I was 100% out of cash too and bills mounted. It was crazy but I survived the storm cheesy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by true2home(m): 6:44pm On Jan 31, 2018
Honestly, why don't people just tile the deck and incorporate a drain pipe to drain the overflow off the deck asap. The water will not have time to percolate through the tiled surface. I will be doing one soon for my old man's hangout deck

gbadexy:

you would need a bitumen based coat. I don't have an idea of any brand but I'm sure there would be some around.
No paint can entirely prevent a decking against constant exposure to water. Epoxy based paint could have worked but it weakens eventually on exposure to sunlight (ultraviolet rays).

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:52pm On Jan 31, 2018
true2home:
Honestly, why don't people just tile the deck and incorporate a drain pipe to drain the overflow off the deck asap. The water will not have time to percolate through the tiled surface. I will be doing one soon for my old man's hangout deck

Your suggestion is the best compared to using bitumen felt/coats.
After decking, inform your tiler to use water sealant mixture when laying the tiles. Make sure you do a gentle slope towards where you want it to drain out.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by true2home(m): 7:01pm On Jan 31, 2018
Here, you can not evict tenant when they have a lease that is not expired yet. So you just got to deal with it. In my case, she breach the contract by not paying rent as due, lie about her employment status. She connive with HR; I later found out is her friend to confirm her employment. But it was all a lie. She even told the judge that she is on Worker comp and it was her friend that said she is fully employed; not her. Judge just laugh and continue like that wasn't relevant in the case. I was so mad that day, Na God no let me throw my folder at the judge self!

Empiree:
Lots of drama grin cheesy But why must landlord file non-payment first?. Can't he just file eviction?. Non-payment is complicated. Once i notice certain tenant behavior is not conforming, I don't bother about money. I just want to let them go. When did yours happen?. You know you could have kept the house now if bank didnt file for foreclosure. I was 100% out of cash too and bills mounted. It was crazy but I survived the storm cheesy

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:14pm On Jan 31, 2018
true2home:
Here, you can not evict tenant when they have a lease that is not expired yet. So you just got to deal with it. In my case, she breach the contract by not paying rent as due, lie about her employment status. She connive with HR; I later found out is her friend to confirm her employment. But it was all a lie. She even told the judge that she is on Worker comp and it was her friend that said she is fully employed; not her. Judge just laugh and continue like that wasn't relevant in the case. I was so mad that day, Na God no let me throw my folder at the judge self!

This is bad. This judge was inconsiderate. There may be judges like that here but law doesn't really gives tenants field day like that. A landlord may evict tenant even within period of the lease but should have valid excuse like if tenant is engaging in unlawful activities like drugs (you need evidence) or you need your apartment for family member, etc. People move in and out in NY all the time.

For non-payment however, it is ENTRAPMENT for landlords. A smart landlord should not take the rent if he really wants tenant out for reason best known to you. Judge or court may or may not tell you not to take rent in nonpayment suit. If you take payment even for a month, your non-payment lawsuit is automatically dismissed. If tenant is professional, he might just take you for a ride by not paying again and endless bs continues. Thats game that i dont play.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 7:21pm On Jan 31, 2018
Empiree:
Speaking about following tenant to bankruptcy court, how do you go about this?. I would imagine state law protects garnishment of their tax (return) needless to say filing bankruptcy. I don't think this ever happened in NY. Usually landlords let go of money owe to them or caught it in half but tenant must move.

If a tenant still live in you house and file bankruptcy
The day the bankruptcy and back you can't collect
The day after he/she file bankruptcy is now a new debt (e.g tenant live in ur house for three month May 1st file,
Bankruptcy, U can't collect any debt before May 1st but after May second u can collect)
U can't file future debt in bankruptcy
File tenant fail to pay u after he/she file bankruptcy
Bankruptcy Court is a Federal Court
Go to bankruptcy Court there form u will file out
The Federal court will rule on you motion
The Judge will likely rule for you to take the case to District court after the bankrupt case has finish in the federal court
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:24pm On Jan 31, 2018
GoodFaith:

If a tenant still live in you house and file bankruptcy
The day the bankruptcy and back you can't collect
The day after he/she file bankruptcy is now a new debt (e.g tenant live in ur house for three month May 1st file,
Bankruptcy, U can't collect any debt before May 1st but after May second u can collect)
U can't file future debt in bankruptcy
File tenant fail to pay u after he/she file bankruptcy
Bankruptcy Court is a Federal Court
Go to bankruptcy Court there form u will file out
The Federal court will rule on you motion
The Judge will likely rule for you to take the case to District court after the bankrupt case has finish in the federal court

Really, i dont think i have the energy to go through this. The worst case scenario is, i let go rent but the SOB MUST move
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 7:29pm On Jan 31, 2018
Empiree:
Really, i dont think i have the energy to go through this. The worst case scenario is, i let go rent but the SOB MUST move
I have a lady the own my $1700
Move out, I told her I was going to collect
Luckily for me she change her job and sent me her new job
I called her new job few day ago to ensure she still work there
I am going to go to small claim court on her
She will see the bailiff at her job
I play dirty
As soon as I get the judgement
I will go after her salary , it might be too late this year to go after her state tax
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 7:33pm On Jan 31, 2018
true2home:

Dude u are not charity
she still have to pay her rent or move out
It is a business or u live in a welfare country

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:39pm On Jan 31, 2018
GoodFaith:

I have a lady the own my $1700
Move out, I told her I was going to collect
Luckily for me she change her job and sent me her new job
I called her new job few day ago to ensure she still work there
I am going to go small claim court on her
She will see the bailiff at her job
I play dirty
she deserved it. I dont blame you. I am just too lenient and can't afford taking off work or wasting my time on them. A lady and mother owe me 1600X4. She has habit of not returning my calls or texts. Took her to court but my silly attny compromised just bcus she told her that she doesn't have money which is a lie. She did pay 4th month before we went to court but after we returned from court, she called her bank to reverse her check. I made huge mistake when my attny told me to forgive the rent bcuz she said she has no money. I just let it slide. This was 2013 and they moved. But the crazy one that lived 11 months free(2010) took me to small claim despite living rent free. Judge threw out her case.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jan 31, 2018
I've been rooting around Ghana real estate.

They need to be feared. They appear to be head and shoulder above and we have a lot of catching up to do. They don't just have a few houses that are exemplary, but thousands as far as I can see over a small area.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 8:17pm On Jan 31, 2018
Empiree:
she deserved it. I dont blame you. I am just too lenient and can't afford taking off work or wasting my time on them. A lady and mother owe me 1600X4. She has habit of not returning my calls or texts. Took her to court but my silly attny compromised just bcus she told her that she doesn't have money which is a lie. She did pay 4th month before we went to court but after we returned from court, she called her bank to reverse her check. I made huge mistake when my attny told me to forgive the rent bcuz she said she has no money. I just let it slide. This was 2013 and they moved. But the crazy one that lived 11 months free(2010) took me to small claim despite living rent free. Judge threw out her case.
How can somebody live in ur house for 11 months in US
I will catch a case
Dude a lady gave me a bad check
Called the police on her
One of the reason I love my schedule only work four days of the week
If I have to go to court I can take few hours off
One of the reason I am not trying to change position

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 8:27pm On Jan 31, 2018
EgunMogaji:
I've been rooting around Ghana real estate.

They need to be feared. They appear to be head and shoulder above and we have a lot of catching up to do. They don't just have a few houses that are exemplary, but thousands as far as I can see over a small area.
Really
Guess u are not throwing shade
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 8:36pm On Jan 31, 2018
GoodFaith:

How can somebody live in ur house for 11 months in US
I will catch a case
Dude a lady gave me a bad check
Called the police on her
One of the reason I love my schedule only work four days of the week
If I have to go to court I can take few hours off
One of the reason I am not trying to change position

Deadbeat tenants dare not mess with you. Actually, i am a changed person now compared to those yrs. I dont leave stone unturned now. But i still can't afford to go to bankruptcy length. I deal with sec8 in most cases now even before self. Just got better than before.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 8:49pm On Jan 31, 2018
Empiree:
Deadbeat tenants dare not mess with you. Actually, i am a changed person now compared to those yrs. I dont leave stone unturned now. But i still can't afford to go to bankruptcy length. I deal with sec8 in most cases now even before self. Just got better than before.
I am giving up a lot for this investments
So I treat it like any other business with no BS

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 9:13pm On Jan 31, 2018
true2home:

That here is the most efficient and time proven solution. That's the same principle bathrooms in storey buildings are designed and they don't allow water to leak underneath.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:37pm On Jan 31, 2018
Melahou:

I have been given an estimate but I feel it's way too high so I need a second opinion so as to make a decision...
A rough estimate is not a bad idea
Contact this builder segzy14
He may be of help
He has couple of informative threads on estimate
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:41pm On Jan 31, 2018
Nbg4real:
Good morning house, please some one should recommends good waterproof material for my tank area (deck), price and where to buy it. the concrete has already been done but the tank is yet to be install
Is the deck attached to your building?
U ought to have use water proof mixture during casting of the concrete
U can use felt since u have already cast the deck.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:45pm On Jan 31, 2018
gbadexy:

What about these water proof cement we use on slab for soakaway, can it prevent such?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:47pm On Jan 31, 2018
true2home:

U are so on point sir
Tiling is very effective when it comes to preventing water from going through

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 9:57pm On Jan 31, 2018
Rubbiish:

What about these water proof cement we use on slab for soakaway, can it prevent such?
I highly doubt it sir. its not going to be effective against constant contact with water.
Assuming the water is able to drain off quickly, it may work, but decking are flat and level. Besides, the soakaway is sealed and there is no way to see if the water is totally repelled.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 10:07pm On Jan 31, 2018
gbadexy:

I highly doubt it sir. its not going to be effective against constant contact with water.
Assuming the water is able to drain off quickly, it may work, but decking are flat and level. Besides, the soakaway is sealed and there is no way to see if the water is totally repelled
@bold very true sir
But i honestlty think tiling such area will do the magic.
Though bitumen is what is mostly use for such purpose
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 10:23pm On Jan 31, 2018
Rubbiish:

@bold very true sir
But i honestlty think tiling such area will do the magic.
Though bitumen is what is mostly use for such purpose
Definitely sir,if it could work in bathroom, then it can work on decking.
The slippery surface when wet and possibility of erecting a structure on the decking coupled with cost may be the deciding factor preventing the use.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 12:31am On Feb 01, 2018
fash78:
Hello house. I am not sure if this question has been asked before and answered. What is a fair percentage of the rent a lawyer or property manager is entitled to? I am renting a unit for 1M and a lawyer I want to hire to manage the property is asking for 10% of that. Is that what is the going rate in Lagos? I welcome contributions from the house.

And what "special thing" is he gonna do, when shyte happnes, apart from file the necessary court papers that na lawyer can do, and take you through the court process, especially in this Lagos?

Draw up your own Rent Agreement (there are samples everywhere and you can get a copy of the Tenancy Act of lagos State, to guide you) and tighten-it up properly, in line with the Tenancy Act.

If Tenant then defualts, then get a good Lawyer of a fee on that tenant.
All the steps are now clearly spelt out and no one (landlord or tenant), can do any 'magic', except if you want to play dirty like use 'unknown soldiers' to resolve the issue.

Why should a Lawyer think he is entitled to a flat rate of 10% of my money, imagine l sold a land for #35M and he wants 10% of that (I know Lawyers will be fuming now grin ) in a Nigeria/Lagos where Judges can be bribed and you can get away with anything, if you know the right people?

What do l know sef.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 12:52am On Feb 01, 2018
Nbg4real:
Good morning house, please some one should recommends good waterproof material for my tank area (deck), price and where to buy it. the concrete has already been done but the tank is yet to be install

Why dont you put a float-switch instead?
It cuts-off the water supply once it reaches a certain level (stops your pumpimg machine by cutting-off its power supply and restarting it automatically as well, once water level gets low).
That way, you wont even get water on your deckings.

That is what l usually do and nver regret it for once.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 12:56am On Feb 01, 2018
true2home:

This happened in State of Maryland, Greenbelt to be precise. That city is notorious for backing tenant. It was funny at first for me too because I was thinking the case was a simple one. After three months, I realized what am in for.

I didn't want the money at all. I wanted her to leave but the lawyer said that the court will not even entertain that. The first thing in this town is to file for Non payment, then progress forward from there. The thing drove me to think of crazy stuff to do, but I no want go jail for stupid and racist people.

Now you nailed it!
At least in Nigeria, you wont have to contend with the "Donal trump" mentality. undecided undecided
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Waladade4luv(m): 1:30am On Feb 01, 2018
molding blocks ursef and buying d amount of blocks u need for a house project, pls which is advisable considering durability and finnacial implications, pls i need sincere opinion of house members

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:43am On Feb 01, 2018
Waladade4luv:
molding blocks ursef and buying d amount of blocks u need for a house project, pls which is advisable considering durability and finnacial implications, pls i need sincere opinion of house members

Making your own blocks, properly and with the right mixture will be cheaper.

The key is making sure that they are following best practises.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:30am On Feb 01, 2018
Daboomb:

Why dont you put a float-switch instead?
It cuts-off the water supply once it reaches a certain level (stops your pumpimg machine by cutting-off its power supply and restarting it automatically as well, once water level gets low).
That way, you wont even get water on your deckings.

That is what l usually do and nver regret it for once.
Float switch works just fine but in the instance the assumed decking is part of the residential building, there will also be water due to rainfall except his building pattern will incorporate a roof over that section as well.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 7:23am On Feb 01, 2018
Buy the most quality steel in Nigeria Tiger now @N205,000/ton... order now while stock last. Best offer
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:28am On Feb 01, 2018
Daboomb:

And what "special thing" is he gonna do, when shyte happnes, apart from file the necessary court papers that na lawyer can do, and take you through the court process, especially in this Lagos?

Draw up your own Rent Agreement (there are samples everywhere and you can get a copy of the Tenancy Act of lagos State, to guide you) and tighten-it up properly, in line with the Tenancy Act.

If Tenant then defualts, then get a good Lawyer of a fee on that tenant.
All the steps are now clearly spelt out and no one (landlord or tenant), can do any 'magic', except if you want to play dirty like use 'unknown soldiers' to resolve the issue.

Why should a Lawyer think he is entitled to a flat rate of 10% of my money, imagine l sold a land for #35M and he wants 10% of that (I know Lawyers will be fuming now grin ) in a Nigeria/Lagos where Judges can be bribed and you can get away with anything, if you know the right people?

What do l know sef.

People just don't like paying rents, both in Nigeria and abroad. As a person who has so many tenants, I don't rely on my lawyers alone but also read up on laws as it applies here. I keep going back to reread this book each time I have a stubborn tenant wahala. I even fired my lawyers in one property yesterday and will manage the house by myself from this year.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (851) (852) (853) (854) (855) (856) (857) ... (3690) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: baaliyah(m), pawn89(m), 1Teethosin(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.