Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,229 members, 7,846,071 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (857) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4465031 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (854) (855) (856) (857) (858) (859) (860) ... (3686) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 8:29pm On Feb 02, 2018
bereiweris:

I’m building my house in parallel with another friend and I know the extent of the savings I had.
Tnx so much for this idea. Bt d major problem here is in d filling.he is also saying I should do a soakaway 1st with a quotation of 300k so that would go a long way in helping with d filling
Is the 300k for only digging of soakaway?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:30pm On Feb 02, 2018
bereiweris:

I’m building my house in parallel with another friend and I know the extent of the savings I had.
Tnx so much for this idea. Bt d major problem here is in d filling.he is also saying I should do a soakaway 1st with a quotation of 300k so that would go a long way in helping with d filling

I used over 300 tons of filing shocked

I did dig my soakaway at some point but that didn't even tickle my needs.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 9:12pm On Feb 02, 2018
Rubbiish:

Is the 300k for only digging of soakaway?
Nope for all including workmanship
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 9:14pm On Feb 02, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I used over 300 tons of filing shocked

I did dig my soakaway at some point but that didn't even tickle my needs.
I really wish not to pay house rent again bt I never even go anywhere fear don catch me grin. Would find out d price for laterite & if it's cheaper would 4go d soakaway for now & continue with d building. Tnx for ur advice I really appreciate
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:37pm On Feb 02, 2018
bereiweris:

What kind of soakaway is that for such amount and how many trips/tonnes of filling sand were you told to fill up your foundation?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:40pm On Feb 02, 2018
bereiweris:

I really wish not to pay house rent again bt I never even go anywhere fear don catch me grin. Would find out d price for laterite & if it's cheaper would 4go d soakaway for now & continue with d building. Tnx for ur advice I really appreciate

No worries, these discussions is why this thread was started.

One thing to also ponder is what to do with the laterite that you'll dig from the soakaway if you happen to do it later than sooner.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nwaorlu: 10:30pm On Feb 02, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I’ll look up my receipt when I get out of bed.

I used Nigerian tile throughout my project.

Nice

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 11:02pm On Feb 02, 2018
bereiweris:

I am sensing a contradiction here or maybe it is because l dont have enough information?

Contractor wants you to dig a soakaway and use the dug-out sand, to fill uour foundation (Cost is 300K, to be paid/spent now).
From the above, l will reckon that your type of soil is the "Red, solid clay" type of soil (for you to be able to use it for filling purposes)..

If my assumption above is also true, then it will be correct for me to say you are building on very solid ground (as against a swamp or water-logged soil).
If l am correct with that second assumption, l will then wonder why you need such a very high foundation, as to make digging a soakaway, so as to use it excavated soil, for filling the foundation..... in such a very urgent tone? shocked shocked

- How many boards is y`our foundation? (I board is approx 1ft).
- If ground is solid, you would not be needing a raft, except you are building a very high/multi-storey, which l dont think is the case.
-If your land is not in a very low-lying valley, you would not need more than three coursework of blocks, filled with a good mix of watery motar and then do a german floor to cap it all.
Cest fini, foundation is done.

So, filling a 3-course of block foundation, with whatever was excavated when digging the foundation, all you need is just a few trucks of Laterite
What l am implying is that due to the scarcity and alternative demand for your funds, digging foundation NOW, is not a priority!
I would rather you use that money to do a borehole (with change left to buy 50bags of cement), which will save you a lot of money from purchasing water to be used for your build
.... except you have a river close-by! grin )

Bottom line, buy a few tippers of Laterite to fill your foundation, use the money for a borehole and you can dig your foundation later (sand from it can be used to fill your compound and landscape it, so it is not a waste).

Its all about setting prioroties and your priority as the Client who is dishing out the scarce money, does and may not always align with that of the person collecting/being paid to do the job! undecided undecided
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:36am On Feb 03, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I’ll look up my receipt when I get out of bed.

I used Nigerian tile throughout my project.
your house in the pics?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:20am On Feb 03, 2018
Empiree:
your house in the pics?
Yes, my apartment garage.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 6:51am On Feb 03, 2018
bixton:

What kind of soakaway is that for such amount and how many trips/tonnes of filling sand were you told to fill up your foundation?

I didn't ask for tons u know am a layman grin He was always stressing if u no do d soakaway 1st u go spend enough money for filling oh + u go waste d soakaway sand then

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 6:52am On Feb 03, 2018
EgunMogaji:

No worries, these discussions is why this thread was started.

One thing to also ponder is what to do with the laterite that you'll dig from the soakaway if you happen to do it later than sooner.

True. He is also saying same. That's y he is of d opinion I do it now
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 6:55am On Feb 03, 2018
Daboomb:

I am sensing a contradiction here or maybe it is because l dont have enough information?

Contractor wants you to dig a soakaway and use the dug-out sand, to fill uour foundation (Cost is 300K, to be paid/spent now).
From the above, l will reckon that your type of soil is the "Red, solid clay" type of soil (for you to be able to use it for filling purposes)..

If my assumption above is also true, then it will be correct for me to say you are building on very solid ground (as against a swamp or water-logged soil).
If l am correct with that second assumption, l will then wonder why you need such a very high foundation, as to make digging a soakaway, so as to use it excavated soil, for filling the foundation..... in such a very urgent tone? shocked shocked

- How many boards is y`our foundation? (I board is approx 1ft).
- If ground is solid, you would not be needing a raft, except you are building a very high/multi-storey, which l dont think is the case.
-If your land is not in a very low-lying valley, you would not need more than three coursework of blocks, filled with a good mix of watery motar and then do a german floor to cap it all.
Cest fini, foundation is done.

So, filling a 3-course of block foundation, with whatever was excavated when digging the foundation, all you need is just a few trucks of Laterite
What l am implying is that due to the scarcity and alternative demand for your funds, digging foundation NOW, is not a priority!
I would rather you use that money to do a borehole (with change left to buy 50bags of cement), which will save you a lot of money from purchasing water to be used for your build
.... except you have a river close-by! grin )

Bottom line, buy a few tippers of Laterite to fill your foundation, use the money for a borehole and you can dig your foundation later (sand from it can be used to fill your compound and landscape it, so it is not a waste).

Its all about setting prioroties and your priority as the Client who is dishing out the scarce money, does and may not always align with that of the person collecting/being paid to do the job! undecided undecided

Tnx for ur contribution. I ve a borehole already. We did 4 coach for d foundation & yes d ground is a solid ground. He said he used 4 coaches cuz of d road nearby which has not been done yet

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 8:22am On Feb 03, 2018
bereiweris:

Tnx for ur contribution. I ve a borehole already. We did 4 coach for d foundation & yes d ground is a solid ground. He said he used 4 coaches cuz of d road nearby which has not been done yet
It is a common practice to dig soakaway & use d sand for filling
Since u will eventually dig soakway
What u should do is to ask ur builder to break the 300k quote for d soakaway, do only the digging first & use the sand to fill. Thereafter u can start talking about setting of blocks.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:33am On Feb 03, 2018
bereiweris:

I didn't ask for tons u know am a layman grin He was always stressing if u no do d soakaway 1st u go spend enough money for filling oh + u go waste d soakaway sand then
Okay.
The amount you quoted as having to do a soakaway is way over board even if you want to do 2 of it and you're not likely to do the reinforced concrete sinking type since your terrain does not need it.
Check your pocket, re-strategize, plan ahead and proceed with the good works.
Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:45am On Feb 03, 2018
Rubbiish:

What u should do is to ask ur builder to break the 300k quote for d soakaway, do only the digging first & use the sand to fill. Thereafter u can start talking about setting of blocks.
There will be no need to dig the pit if he does not intend to set the blocks immediately. He cannot exceed 500 blocks for such purpose which is even high even if he wants to do the type with 3 partitions.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 8:55am On Feb 03, 2018
bixton:

There will be no need to dig the pit if he does not intend to set the blocks immediately. He cannot exceed 500 blocks for such purpose which is even high even if he wants to do the type with 3 partitions.
Why?
It isn't rainy yet & i have done it before
Pit can be covered with discarded planks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 8:58am On Feb 03, 2018
bixton:

Okay.
The amount you quoted as having to do a soakaway is way over board even if you want to do 2 of it and you're not likely to do the reinforced concrete sinking type since your terrain does not need it.
Good luck.
U need to first find out if op have granite & sand left on ground?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:11am On Feb 03, 2018
Rubbiish:

Even with that the op will not spend that amount.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 9:30am On Feb 03, 2018
EgunMogaji:

My Chief, how far on this Sir? https://www.nairaland.com/654013/building-houses-sale-vs-renting

I read through the thread. It is indeed very funny. Spyder880 in stock market? Now in realty. It seems that anywhere there is money to be made, Spyder shows up. That's the spirit my brother. Kudos!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 9:35am On Feb 03, 2018
PrinceLat:
Good day house, please where can I get this Damp roof admixture (sycallyte) being added to the capping concrete mix In this picture, I'm in Lagos and also an idea of the price, thanks.........@aventures I took it from one of thread
I bought it at LA Roche along oshodi -mile3 express way. It really served , the house has been occupy for past 4 years now and there is no issues of dampness.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:53am On Feb 03, 2018
bixton:

Even with that the op will not spend that amount.
E fit reach bros depending on his location
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:04am On Feb 03, 2018
bereiweris:

You don't have to do a soakaway pit at the start of the project. One, it's a health and safety risk as work is going on. Two it will fill up with water during the rainy seasons and stand the risk of collapse.

The problem seem what to do with the laterite from the soakaway if you did the soakaway later on right? Use it to fill the compound, you did four courses high foundation so you will fill the compound one way or another. You will not save much if you are relying on the laterite to fill your foundation and any cost savings may be wiped out by maintenance costs of the soakaway until the project is finished.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:18am On Feb 03, 2018
Rubbiish:

E fit reach bros depending on his location
The op is yet to say what manner of soakaway is to be done and the size.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 11:10am On Feb 03, 2018
bixton:

The op is yet to say what manner of soakaway is to be done and the size.

True
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 11:12am On Feb 03, 2018
Rubbiish:

Tnx sir this idea sounds nice. Bt won't d dug area collapse?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 11:13am On Feb 03, 2018
bixton:

Okay.
Good luck.

Tnx alot I think I will stylishly ask another person for a quote to also compare
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 11:15am On Feb 03, 2018
bixton:

My engineer said 300 blocks of 6" solid
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 11:17am On Feb 03, 2018
diordaves:

You don't have to do a soakaway pit at the start of the project. One, it's a health and safety risk as work is going on. Two it will fill up with water during the rainy seasons and stand the risk of collapse.

The problem seem what to do with the laterite from the soakaway if you did the soakaway later on right? Use it to fill the compound, you did four courses high foundation so you will fill the compound one way or another. You will not save much if you are relying on the laterite to fill your foundation and any cost savings may be wiped out by maintenance costs of the soakaway until the project is finished.
I don't really think the filling of compound depends on foundation height.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 11:17am On Feb 03, 2018
Rubbiish:

I still ve a single hassle tipper of sand & few 3/8 remaining
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 11:19am On Feb 03, 2018
bereiweris:

Tnx sir this idea sounds nice. Bt won't d dug area collapse?
As long as u can set ur block before the rain set in proper, u have nothing to worry about.
Just cover the pit & barricade it with blocks
But if u aren't sure of when to set, then forget abt it...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 11:20am On Feb 03, 2018
diordaves:

Tnx a million thinking in such directions 2

(1) (2) (3) ... (854) (855) (856) (857) (858) (859) (860) ... (3686) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kopell and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.