Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,150 members, 7,849,582 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 03:47 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (860) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4474844 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (857) (858) (859) (860) (861) (862) (863) ... (3688) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Raincache: 2:42pm On Feb 05, 2018
Imagine having spent so much in acquiring your dream home and after a few months, rain season hits; water starts pooling around your home, until one day you find your basement flooded. After the cleanup, there is just some paintwork needed to be done. But next year, there's more than only paintwork. And the year after that you are wishing it was only the paintwork because the bills are making a serious dent in your wallet.

As good as the rain water is if not channeled well, its not a friend of your building. It can decrease your property's lifespan, reduce your propertys valuation,damage exteriors,causes Foundation Damage, Flooded Basements and Garden Erosion.

With our American Aluminum Rain Gutter( Roof Gutter, Water Collector), you don't need to panic when the rain starts. Your building will be safe from any Rain induced damage for a minimum of 20 years. Visit our website www.raincache.ng for more information or call 08136526631, 08158942188.
A STITCH IN TIME SAVES 9

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 2:43pm On Feb 05, 2018
There is no proof of a basket being used there.
The actual engineering plan for the soakaway will put to rest this discuss.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 3:04pm On Feb 05, 2018
diordaves:

You can build cars without tyres, you can build soakaway without columns. In fact, you can do anything in anyway you like. But the question remains: Is that the proper and best way? Cutting corners in the Nigerian building sector has so eaten deep into the system that an abnormality like columns without square footing (basket) is now viewed by folks like you as normal. It's sad though.

Look, all columns should have a square footing which we call basket in Nigeria. As Egunm.ogaji has said, the expected load should determine the size of the square footing. See pix attached, that's for a small project for signpost with basket.
it is still possible erect baskets after columns are already built?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 3:51pm On Feb 05, 2018
bixton:
There is no proof of a basket being used there.
The actual engineering plan for the soakaway will put to rest this discuss.
You will never learn!!!! undecided
Haba!!!!
Column is column, same principle applies to all type of column construction.
I honestly sorry for your clients if u are a building professional.
This is faceless forum & there is nothing to be ashamed of here
Any vertical stand must have a base, including water tank stand, it maybe small, but there must be a base. If truly u have been building bungalows columns without baskets then i honestly sorry for your clients. It isn't a must to use columns for soakaway & bungalows, but if u want to use it, then do it well. I was expecting u to acknowledge your error & move on after a poster pointed it out, but here u are trying to defend something wrong, the more u try, the more u exhibit your ignorance about construction works. The only difference between duplex columns & that of bungalows is that the basket of one is wider than the other, but they both require baskets. If u have been building columns for bungalows without baskets, know now it is wrong.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 3:53pm On Feb 05, 2018
Empiree:
it is still possible erect baskets after columns are already built?
No!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 4:03pm On Feb 05, 2018
snakebeat:

You will never learn!!!! undecided
Haba!!!!
Column is column, same principle applies to all type of column construction.
I honestly sorry for your clients if u are a building professional.
This is faceless forum & there is nothing to be ashamed of here
Any vertical stand must have a base, including water tank stand, it maybe small, but there must be a base. If truly u have been building bungalows columns without baskets then i honestly sorry for your clients. It isn't a must to use columns for soakaway & bungalows, but if u want to use it, then do it well. I was expecting u to acknowledge your error & move on after a poster pointed it out, but here u are trying to defend something wrong, the more u try, the more u exhibit your ignorance about construction works. The only difference between duplex columns & that of bungalows is that the basket of one is wider than the other, but they both require baskets. If u have been building columns for bungalows without baskets, know now it is wrong.

I will assume you're an Engineer or some sort.
Kindly put up the design plan for soakaway done to back up your fact.
That is how I want to learn so I can properly inform my clients the reason why I would want to start using baskets for soakaway construction.

If you want to quench my ignorance put up the design plan made for a soakaway as you have always done for your clients.
Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 4:18pm On Feb 05, 2018
bixton:

I will assume you're an Engineer or some sort.
Kindly put up the design plan for soakaway done to back up your fact.
That is how I want to learn so I can properly inform my clients the reason why I would want to start using baskets for soakaway construction.

If you want to quench my ignorance put up the design plan made for a soakaway as you have always done for your clients.
Thank you.

Hahahahahaha
What do i stand to gain in all of this??
U that have been building coulmns for bungalows without baskets, na soakaway u go for need basket??
U can continue doing it your own way...
A word is enough for the wise...

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nbg4real: 4:23pm On Feb 05, 2018
Good evening all. is it possible to do the attached roofing with step tiles?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 4:23pm On Feb 05, 2018
snakebeat:

Hahahahahaha
What do i stand to gain in all of this??
U that have been building coulmns for bungalows without baskets, na soakaway u go for need basket??
U can continue doing it your own way...
A word is enough for the wise...

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 4:27pm On Feb 05, 2018
Mup4life:
The arguement up there was about the exclusion of baskets from the septic tank, if you can build bungalows without baskets you can definitely build septic tanks without it also.

I have not seen foundation of bungalows on a solid ground employ baskets for columns unless you have pics to prove otherwise.
@bold really??
Even bungalows grin
I just dey laugh....

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mup4life: 4:50pm On Feb 05, 2018
Rubbiish:

@bold really??
Even bungalows grin
I just dey laugh....
From delta where i come from it is not done, maybe in lagos because of the nature of their soil.

But how many persons can come out and say i built my 3bedroom flat with baskets as base for the columns?

If this is the norm i would like to see pics of this, as we have many building projects here on nairaland which i have been following and i have not seen anything of such.

You can pls post link to such bungalow foundation to clear my doubts.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:13pm On Feb 05, 2018
Mup4life:
The arguement up there was about the exclusion of baskets from the septic tank, if you can build bungalows without baskets you can definitely build septic tanks without it also.

I have not seen foundation of bungalows on a solid ground employ baskets for columns unless you have pics to prove otherwise.

You can't build a column without footing. For you to have a column it means you want to transfer load from maybe roof, beams or slab and when this load is transfered to column you need to spread this load to the supporting soil. The footing ( pad footing, raft, reinforced strip or pile ) will help you spread this load to the supporting soil. Without proper and uniform spreading load to supporting soil you experience punching (it is like pressing a sharp nail against wet mould, it will continue to sink into the ground).

People normally placed columns at edges of bungalow to carry the roof load and avoid over stressing of the partition loads, in this case the load carried by the column are the roof load, self weight of the beams and column and you will need a footing/pad/basket to carry it.

For septic tank or soak away, it is not compulsory to have column when it is being built on hard soil, when your block is strong, when the dimensions are not that large and when you can filled the holes with weak concrete but when the aforementioned conditions are not present and you decide to put a column you surely need to provide a basket/footing as the case may be.
Some soak away septic tank may end up exerting more loads on the column than the roof of a bungalow

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:16pm On Feb 05, 2018
Mup4life:
From delta where i come from it is not done, maybe in lagos because of the nature of their soil.

But how many persons can come out and say i built my 3bedroom flat with baskets as base for the columns?

If this is the norm i would like to see pics of this, as we have many building projects here on nairaland which i have been following and i have not seen anything of such.

I have built many bungalows with pad/basket base for the column/pillar

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:18pm On Feb 05, 2018
Mup4life:

Again, the two bungalows on my site have columns and with baskets.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:19pm On Feb 05, 2018
abdulwastecx:

I have built many bungalows with pad/basket base for the column/pillar

And you’ve shown us the proof on here many times.

If anyone wants to truly learn they can research for themselves on here.

It’s too early in 2018 to start spoon feeding adults grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:23pm On Feb 05, 2018
EgunMogaji:

And you’ve shown us the proof on here many times.

If anyone wants to truly learn they can research for themselves on here.

It’s too early in 2018 to start spoon feeding adults grin

Abi baba egun. I saw some of the finishing on that your bungalows, they are truly nice.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:24pm On Feb 05, 2018
abdulwastecx:

You can't build a column without footing. For you to have a column it means you want to transfer load from maybe roof, beams or slab and when this load is transfered to column you need to spread this load to the supporting soil. The footing ( pad footing, raft, reinforced strip or pile ) will help you spread this load to the supporting soil. Without proper and uniform spreading load to supporting soil you experience punching (it is like pressing a sharp nail against wet mould, it will continue to sink into the ground).

People normally placed columns at edges of bungalow to carry the roof load and avoid over stressing of the partition loads, in this case the load carried by the column are the roof load, self weight of the beams and column and you will need a footing/pad/basket to carry it.

For septic tank or soak away, it is not compulsory to have column when it is being built on hard soil, when your block is strong, when the dimensions are not that large and when you can filled the holes with weak concrete but when the aforementioned conditions are not present and you decide to put a column you surely need to provide a basket/footing as the case may be.
Some soak away septic tank may end up exerting more loads on the column than the roof of a bungalow

I lied to the guy doing my soakaway that I’ll be parking a car on it so it was designed that way.

I can sleep comfortably knowing it will not collapse from ordinary foot traffic.

I also lied that the top of my safe room will have a water tank on top, it won’t.

So it was engineered strongly grin

I now have better understanding of why houses sometimes collapse in Nigeria.

Unless one makes his own blocks and properly, sorry is the name of the homeowner that trusts average Nigerian blocks to carry more than the weight of 10 to 12 coaches.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mup4life: 5:27pm On Feb 05, 2018
abdulwastecx:

Thnk you sir, good to hear from an expert.

Can i get pics of this foundations or links where i can see them? Thnks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:28pm On Feb 05, 2018
Mup4life:
Thnk you sir, good to hear from an expert.

Can i get pics of this foundations or links where i can see them? Thnks.

I will get some across
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:29pm On Feb 05, 2018
abdulwastecx:

Abi baba egun. I saw some of the finishing on that your bungalows, they are truly nice.

Thank you Sir, it’s not perfect but it’s just the guest quarters.

I thank you and the other pros in the house that share with us and guide us. Some of us do learn and appreciate what you do.

You and your partner have specifically showed us the proper way to do things and in great detail with calculations and all. There’s no excuse for anyone that has access to Nairaland to do things the wrong way unless intentionally.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 5:29pm On Feb 05, 2018
The main discuss is about using baskets/columns for soakaways.
Let's not try to deviate. Let the professional engineers put up their design plan for the soakaway they have done. You cannot neglect such in your building plans. That is the primary discuss now.

Using engineering facts to give reason for the wrong purpose is not good.
When one intends to consider using the cast slab of soakaway for car parking then he should use Y16 as columns instead of Y12, if you want me to take your view, hook line and sinker backing of load transfer and bearing walls.

Your use of basket/column for bungalows is not in contention at least those buildings carry concrete facial (parapet).
This is secondary.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:33pm On Feb 05, 2018
I decide what I discuss as long as I don’t violate Hajjs rule.

My soakaway has column and of course basket.

No parapet on my site, I consider them hideous.

PS: Not forcing my opinion down anyone throat. My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:34pm On Feb 05, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I lied to the guy doing my soakaway that I’ll be parking a car on it so it was designed that way.

I can sleep comfortably knowing it will not collapse from ordinary foot traffic.

I also lied that the top of my safe room will have a water tank on top, it won’t.

So it was engineered strongly grin

I now have better understanding of why houses sometimes collapse in Nigeria.

Unless one makes his own blocks and properly, sorry is the name of the homeowner that trusts average Nigerian blocks to carry more than the weight of 10 to 12 coaches.

I followed that your project sir, it was done perfectly. I hope other prospective home owners can also learn from that

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mup4life: 5:34pm On Feb 05, 2018
abdulwastecx:

I will get some across
Thnk you very much, this is not common practice where i come from.

My father's house has lasted close to three decades, no sign of sinking whatsoever standing firm and strong. But one cannot be too careful.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:38pm On Feb 05, 2018
Mup4life:
Thnk you very much, this is not common practice where i come from.

My father's house has lasted close to three decades, no sign of sinking whatsoever standing firm and strong. But one cannot be too careful.

Here is one

https://www.nairaland.com/2535814/construction-two-unit-semi-detached
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 5:46pm On Feb 05, 2018
abdulwastecx:

You try. Na Chinese hard you.

Well done.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 5:57pm On Feb 05, 2018
diordaves:

You try. Na Chinese hard you.

Well done.

Oga? I no understand you o
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 6:01pm On Feb 05, 2018
abdulwastecx:

Oga? I no understand you o

You know book. If you fit speak Chinese join the book you know so, no barger can tell you nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:07pm On Feb 05, 2018
My site.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 11:03pm On Feb 05, 2018
If l may contribute:

Columns need a Basket, so as to reduce the 'punching-effect' (Pressure) of the Vertical force (Pressure = Force/Area) it is carrying.
This is a fact we should not even be arguing about.

Now, since the downward acting force is what the basket is "designed to reduce", you will all agree with me that if that Vertical Force is "negligible", we can as well do away with the Basket since it is designed to "spread that Force" acting downwards, which has now been said to be negligible..

This is why Bungalows of the olden days dont use columns, not to talk of adding a basket to the columns!
Those Bungalows have stood for almost a hundred years and all the rain and thunder of many decades has not collapsed them but we have newer building collapsing even before they are completed! grin

In essence, if the Vertical Force is negligible, you can do away with a column (as shown above) and by inference, do away with a basket.
Your house will still stand (and the obvious reason for that, is that, as they do in the olden days, you would have used "standard blocks and mortar-mix", to erect your house. Not th fake blocks of today).

So, using a basket, being for a reason, is not given.

And that brings me back to the origins of this current discussion: using basket in the columns of a Septic tank.
As l have pointed out above, it all depends on "how much vertical force" you envisage and therefore, have the intention of spreading.

With particular reference to my able builder, Abdulwastecx, if you are building a septic tank in some places, where the ground is unrepentantly very hard, the use of columns is an 'over-kill' and waste of money because in such places, l have seen such tanks built with just blocks (no columns at all) and they have stood there, doing their job for over fifty years now. No collapse!
Why?
Bceause such structure is carrying negligible wight and therefore the 'Vertical Force' (from Pressure = Force/Area) is also very negligible.
There is virtually nothing, in terms of "Force" to spread (which is the job of a basket! You wont spend moneyand effort, just to achieve nothing, would you?).

Thus, when someone says you can do a column without using a basket, the next question should be "what weight is that column carrying"? Is such weight/Force Negligible?

And l guess the man asking for "drawings" is thinking along that direction (Such drawing will show the 'Weight/Force' being carried, that necesitates the use of a column and hence, a basket).
Columns are not just for decoration, they are an engineering, structural functionality in a building though a lot of 'enthusiastic' builders just use "guesswork" to throw columns here and there, even where they are not necessary, not functional and a total waste. undecided

To say all columns must carry a basket without being specific on what it is acrrying in terms of 'vertical force' is like saying all cars must have a cooling airconditioner or HQ-Surround Sound! grin grin
if it has one, good for the occupant.
if it does not have one, it will still serve its purpose of just taking the occupant from point A, to point B (but inside this heat ehn, dem go confess their sins sharp-sharp grin ) if that is all that matters to them.

Let us not turn this into another bric-brac (as l see it going, if we dont stop now).

Both sides of the arguement are correct but they are both arguing on different things. No congruency at all

Anyway, wetin l know sef.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:32pm On Feb 05, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:47pm On Feb 05, 2018
Raincache:
Imagine having spent so much in acquiring your dream home and after a few months, rain season hits; water starts pooling around your home, until one day you find your basement flooded. After the cleanup, there is just some paintwork needed to be done. But next year, there's more than only paintwork. And the year after that you are wishing it was only the paintwork because the bills are making a serious dent in your wallet.

As good as the rain water is if not channeled well, its not a friend of your building. It can decrease your property's lifespan, reduce your propertys valuation,damage exteriors,causes Foundation Damage, Flooded Basements and Garden Erosion.

With our American Aluminum Rain Gutter( Roof Gutter, Water Collector), you don't need to panic when the rain starts. Your building will be safe from any Rain induced damage for a minimum of 20 years. Visit our website www.raincache.ng for more information or call 08136526631, 08158942188.
A STITCH IN TIME SAVES 9

How much is per feet installed?

Thanks.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (857) (858) (859) (860) (861) (862) (863) ... (3688) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.