Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,069 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:19 AM

I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! (2693 Views)

"My Enemies Will Be Sick And Die" - Fayose As He Celebrates Ekiti Women (Photos) / Buhari, Alhassan, Adamu, Jibril Are Sick - SGF / Buhari Is Sick, Has Meniere Disease (Ear Infection) - Premium Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by Sweetlemon(f): 7:18pm On Aug 27, 2015
Yeah you heard me right.
I am tired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When news of appointments breaks out, the first thing people will do is check the state of origin. Really? So track record is no longer important? Mr Fowler that was a Southerner was he not later shown to have fake certificates? And please don't give me that crap about competent people being in other tribes cos we all know for fact most people would prefer him to employ incompetent people from their regions rather than competent people from the North. And yes even some so called APC supporters too! Some Yorubas would also be feeling left out because they don't have "enough" appointments. Then when governance goes back to being business as usual with the same stories of missing hard currencies every week, we start crying for our sorry selves. Of the new list of appointments, there are 6 of them in number. fine 3 or 4 of them are Northerners but there are 3 Christians there plus one 0r two SSners. One name looks middlebeltan too. I checked this Col. Hameed's record and he is squeaky clean. But no he's not good enough for some people because he's a Northerner?
For Christ's sake ask your distracted selves these questions:

1. There has been even distribution of electricity for a while now, did he give orders for more to go to the North? Is there more stable electricity in North than in the south?
2. The clean up in sectors so far, does it in the long run affect only Northerners? If the EFCC, Customs, pensions, NNPC etc are functioning properly does it not mean better for us as a whole? When last did you queue for fuel?
3. Buhari just ordered clean up of ogoni areas, let's not forget we just had an ND son there for the past five years!

I could go on and on about certain structures Buhari has put in place for Nigerians as a whole. Things that will benefit YOU and ME. Ordinary, everyday Nigerians. Not appointments. Biko was your father or uncle jostling to make the list? So why are you so concerned about any other thing about the list apart from track record If he appoints all from SW, if he makes the appointments equal among all regions will a single kobo get into your pocket Will it affect your personal lives in anyway whatsoever? Dammit mehn! Damn this shiit!
I really don't know when and how manage Nigeria moved from having two Muslim Presidential candidates without anyone batting an eyelash to all this religious and ethnic melodramas.

Honestly I'm so tired now. Maybe I should just relocate to the USA or something. Nigerians really get what they deserve. I'm just happy that Buhari doesn't seem moved by unnecessary outcries and may God grant him the strength to be able to remain resilient and focused on his mission.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 27, 2015
Sweetlemon

You are wrong.

I am a rational supporter of Buhari and a voice in the movement from the clueless government of Jonathan to this new administration.

Although it is too early to call but we don't have institutions yet that can foster professionalism and you can't deny that people appointed heads of Parastatals or MDAs would definitely swing things to their nearest people. They aren't God, they are human and there is an undeniable fact that they would be bias to an extent more reason there needs to be equity.
No wonder we have many illiterates filling in positions in our various ministries. My LI back in the North while I served could not utter a complete sentence in English but he was appointed a federal employee while millions of suitably qualified candidates languish in the labour market down south.

Provided this. Nigerians voted him to evenly distribute things and foster unity and from the little I have seen it has been swinging in favour of mostly the 3 Northern Regions except for the FIRS and NNPC bosses which went to the west and south south and you can see they are terribly qualified for the position and their track record showed they had delivered in the past.

However MOST of the other appointments which favoured the northern region has not shown that competence that we all seek.
Please tell me what the SGF did as Governor of Kaduna state when he was there 1996 to 1998 that was life changing for the people of KD that made him merit this?

The new SGF, Comptroller General of customs, NIS boss are just average Nigerians and they have not shown any sterling qualities in the past positions they held to have truly shown they merited these positions. It can be argued they were selected based on where they are from and not what they have done.

Again we seem to be sacrificing merit on the alter of mediocrity and ethnic jingoism. 4 years would soon pass and we would pass a referendum on their performance. Buhari should remember the power of the Social Media. We can do and undo and once people set you in a colour. It is very hard to wash away.

11 Likes

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by lurther: 7:22pm On Aug 27, 2015
Lol! Migrate very fast...... we need well thinking nigerians that can move Nigeria forward....

Awwwwwww....... Shame no gree them oooo.

Passingshot, omenka, Gbawe, Midolian... you all can also migrate as well because the yorubas have been left out. Hahahahahaha.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by agarawu23(m): 7:23pm On Aug 27, 2015
Sweetlemon:
Yeah you heard me right.

When news of appointments break out, the fist thing people will do is check the state of origin. Really? So track record is no longer important? Mr Fowler that was a Southerner was he not later shown to have fake certificates? And please don't give me that crap about competent people being in other tribes cos we all know for fact most people would prefer him to employ incompetent people from their regions rather than competent people from the North. And yes even some so called APC supporters too! Some Yorubas would also be feeling left out because they don't have "enough" appointments. Then when governance goes back to being business as usual with the same stories of missing hard currencies every week, we start crying for our sorry selves. Of the new list of appointments, there are 5 of them in number. fine 3 or 4 of them are Northerners but there are 3 Christians there plus one SSner. One name looks middlebeltan too. I checked this Col. Hameed's record and he is squeaky clean. But no he's not good enough for some people because he's a Northerner?

1. There has been even distribution of electricity for a while now, did he give orders for more to go to the North? Is there more stable electricity in North than in the south?
2. The clean up in sectors so far, does it in the long run affect only Northerners? If the EFCC, Customs, pensions, NNPC etc are functioning properly does it not mean better for us as a whole? When last did you queue for fuel?
3. Buhari just ordered clean up of ogoni areas, let's not forget we just had an ND son there for the past five years!

I could go on and on about certain structures Buhari has put in place for Nigerians as a whole. Things that will benefit YOU and ME. Ordinary, everyday Nigerians. Not appointments. Biko was your father or uncle jostling to make the list? So why are you so concerned about any other thing about the list apart from track record If he appoints all from SW, if he makes the appointments equal among all regions will a single kobo get into your pocket Will it affect your personal lives in anyway whatsoever? Dammit mehn! Damn this shiit!
I really don't know when and how manage Nigeria moved from having two Muslim Presidential candidates without anyone batting an eyelash to all this religious and ethnic melodramas.

Honestly I'm so tired now. Maybe I should just relocate to the USA or something. Nigerians really get what they deserve. I'm just happy that Buhari doesn't seem moved by unnecessary outcries and may God grant him the strength to be able to remain resilient and focused on his mission.
pack your bags and move to any neighboring countries, it's visa free(you don't need a visa)

1 Like

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by jmoore(m): 7:24pm On Aug 27, 2015
Relocate na grin

1 Like

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by Duru1(m): 7:26pm On Aug 27, 2015
Sweetlemon:
Yeah you heard me right.

When news of appointments break out, the fist thing people will do is check the state of origin. Really? So track record is no longer important? Mr Fowler that was a Southerner was he not later shown to have fake certificates? And please don't give me that crap about competent people being in other tribes cos we all know for fact most people would prefer him to employ incompetent people from their regions rather than competent people from the North. And yes even some so called APC supporters too! Some Yorubas would also be feeling left out because they don't have "enough" appointments. Then when governance goes back to being business as usual with the same stories of missing hard currencies every week, we start crying for our sorry selves. Of the new list of appointments, there are 5 of them in number. fine 3 or 4 of them are Northerners but there are 3 Christians there plus one SSner. One name looks middlebeltan too. I checked this Col. Hameed's record and he is squeaky clean. But no he's not good enough for some people because he's a Northerner?

What track record is associated with zoo called Nigeria? The act of appointment is by itself tribal and to suggest otherwise by a so-called Nigerian is hypocrisy at best.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by Sweetguy25: 7:28pm On Aug 27, 2015
You're either a hypocrite or you're ignorant of the socio-political environment of Nigeria.

11 Likes

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by cjrane: 7:32pm On Aug 27, 2015
Sweetlemon:
Yeah you heard me right.

[size=18pt]
DUDE,
STOP PRETENDING !!!
DELUSION IS A PSYCHIATRIC PROBLEM.
[/size]

21 Likes

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by EasternLion: 7:32pm On Aug 27, 2015
Hahahahahahaha.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by cheruv: 7:36pm On Aug 27, 2015
This OP has problems angry
Has she been fvcked lately? undecided

9 Likes

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by Agbaletu: 7:39pm On Aug 27, 2015
I am very sure deep down OP's heart she is not happy but trying to pretend. This is an anomaly every southerner should condemn. Are there no incorruptible southerners? We should call a spade a spade...Buhari is out to show southerners pepper.
OP, i can help you process your visa without paying me 1 kobo.

7 Likes

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 7:40pm On Aug 27, 2015
I cannot continue to sacrifice the future of my children at the altar of Nigeria-go-better, while dullard criminals at the helm of nigeria's affairs have assured the best future for their children whether Nigeria dies or lives. notice how their ilk have cornered leadership positions on the basis of "connection" alone? I am truly tired of Nigeria. The root of our problems are deep-seated and I have little faith that Buhari will succeed where leaders before him have failed woefully.. i have neither the strength to fight for a better Nigeria nor the faith to live for Nigeria anymore. I must CHOP my own grin grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by colossus2: 7:42pm On Aug 27, 2015
You hit the nail on the head with the Mjölnir

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by blueButtocks: 7:46pm On Aug 27, 2015
I challenge any Niger Deltan or Igbo to produce a list of 'clean' politicians from your region.
Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by omenka(m): 7:46pm On Aug 27, 2015
My dear Sweetlemon, it is a big shame honestly. The elevation of mundane sentiments to such heights as to be the major determinants of who gets what became the norm under that useless ex president- it is the only legacy he left behind after his nearly six years of utter misrule.

He has fractured the Nigerian psyche along such lines as ethnicity, religion and region so much so that even supposed educated fellows have now joined the bandwagon of celebration of mediocrity just as long as "their brother" is the mediocre.

All I do is ignore those nuances whenever I can and try to persuade those who care to listen that these faultlines are being accentuated and even in some cases created by politicians who leverage on them to consolidate their power.

I have never had a doubt in my mind Baba means well for this nation and no amount of blackmail by those who swore Baba would fail and would never see anything good in any action he takes would change that belief.

They can wail for all I care- it is not like they have anything else to do with their lives.

6 Likes

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by Sweetlemon(f): 8:17pm On Aug 27, 2015
omenka:
My dear Sweetlemon, it is a big shame honestly. The elevation of mundane sentiments to such heights as to be the major determinants of who gets what became the norm under that useless ex president- it is the only legacy he left behind after his nearly six years of utter misrule.

He has fractured the Nigerian psyche along such lines as ethnicity, religion and region so much so that even supposed educated fellows have now joined the bandwagon of celebration of mediocrity just as long as "their brother" is the mediocre.

All I do is ignore those nuances whenever I can and try to persuade those who care to listen that these faultlines are being accentuated and even in some cases created by politicians who leverage on them to consolidate their power.

I have never had a doubt in my mind Baba means well for this nation and no amount of blackmail by those who swore Baba would fail and would never see anything good in any action he takes would change that belief.

They can wail for all I care- it is not like they have anything else to do with their lives.

Honey, you are simply wonderful! No wonder you are from the middlebelt. Beautiful people with people souls.
I wish I had your kind of faith bro. But I just need to bow out and just siddon look perhaps from the USA now cos I AM TIRED of people who do not have the faintest idea what they really want and what it takes to get what they want. Even when Buhari does something well, these people will pull it down with their own hands.
I just cant deal no more! I just kent!

2 Likes

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by Nobody: 8:18pm On Aug 27, 2015
omenka....People need to talk.

Yes the earlier appointments were just normal but further appointment have shown a trend.

If these people were very competent and from the best of the best. I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow. But they are just ordinary. They have not delivered or done anything sterling worth mentioning for the nation in their past positions.

So tell me how do they deserve these positions?

No one is talking about ethnicity now. It is all about competence. What makes the new appointees more competent than any other person? Their tribe?

Just do your research and tell me one thing the new SGF or other appointees have done that's out of place that another better candidate can't be found from somewhere else to balance things up?

Maybe when you answer that I would drop my wailing or whatever you call it. We need to always set our leaders aright when they seem to be failing and constructively critic them and not just rubber stamping their every move. They are humans and would make mistakes but we can always help them to avoid further mistakes by pointing out to them the previous ones. That's what a good Nigerian would do.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by FreeGlobe(f): 8:20pm On Aug 27, 2015
Because competency can only be found in the northern part of Nigeria and there is no federal character law in Nigeria sweetlemon

6 Likes

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by CyberWolf: 8:28pm On Aug 27, 2015
And you have to create a thread about it? smh angry

1 Like

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by drss(m): 8:31pm On Aug 27, 2015
omenka:

Hahahaha! You don't see nothing wrong in Buhari's actions right? Continue living in the sand. By the time you wake up one morning and discover that ur children and grand children cannot secure employment in Nigeria, dont come here and cry us the ocean.
#proudly 5 percent. smiley
Biafra loding - 99%

6 Likes

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by atlwireles: 8:32pm On Aug 27, 2015
cjrane:

[size=18pt]
DUDE,
STOP PRETENDING !!!
DELUSION IS A PSYCHIATRIC PROBLEM.
[/size]

grin grin grin grin grin the pandemonium of she/males on NL.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by Sweetguy25: 8:33pm On Aug 27, 2015
When Nzeogwu and his group attempted to execute the first military coup, they believed the act was for the greater Nigerian good. They initially planned to assassinate political leaders from all regions. However, they assassinated leaders from the west and north but failed to assassinate those from the east. The northerners who were the most aggrieved percieved the coup to be an act of war against them in the north. The northerners retaliated and killed thousands of easterners in the north while the easterners resultantly attempted to secede. The attempt by the easterners to secede met a miltary oppossition which eventually led to one of the most gruesome wars in African history that dragged on for three years.

Now, before the northerners retaliated by killing easterners, they didn't think of the coup as a Nigerian affair. And this false perception was on of the the issues that led to the civil war.

90 percent of Nigerians harbour tribal sentiments. Buhari is a tribal bigot as evidenced below

A former Chief Press Secretary to the late Governor, Chief Kehinde Olaosebikan, yesterday said in Abuja that a conflict between Yoruba and Hausa-Fulani would have thrown the country into another war.

He told our correspondent that a former Head of State, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, had led a combative delegation of Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) to meet Adesina in 2000 in his office.
According to him, “Precisely on the 13th of October, 2000, former military Head of State, General Muhammadu Buhari, in company with former Military administrator of Lagos State, General Buba Marwa, had led a heavy team of Arewa Consultative Forum in a combative mood to the office of the governor in protest against the alleged killings of over 69 Fulani cattle herders in Saki Area of the state.
“General Buhari whose arrival to the Secretariat complex was preceded by scores of lorry loads of Hausa men and boys said pointedly at the executive council chambers of Oyo State that his team came to meet the governor to seek reasons why the people of Saki should not be dealt with for killing Fulani herdsmen. He did not stop at that, Gen Buhari accused Governor Lam Adesina of complicity in the killings and using his position as governor to pervert justice.
He quoted the former Head of State as accusing the former governor of shielding the culprits. According to the General, they therefore wanted immediate stoppage of the killings, justice and compensation for the mass killings of the Fulanis or vengeance across the country. Olaosebikan added: “As weighty, indicting and provocative as the General’s allegations were against the governor, Alhaji Lam Adesina remained unperturbed as he only fired back with his own well- coordinated arsenals in form of refined strategy, robust explanations and effective engagements.
“Lam Adesina identified all the points raised by the General and simply asked the heads of the organisations directly involved to respond.”
He quoted Lam Adesina as saying: “ Before I thank you for this visit, you have come to tell me something, I also want to tell you something and that something is to make an appeal. General Buhari has been a former Head of State, Brigadier Marwa has governed Lagos for some time and with credibility… so you are national leaders of this country. Even though, by accident of birth, you are from the North, so you can be born anywhere, may be next time when I am coming to the world I will be born in the North or the South South.’

However, we never thought Buhari would carry his tribal biases and nepotism into Aso Rock. That is what Nigerians are currently complaining about.

3 Likes

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by Genius100: 8:34pm On Aug 27, 2015
Sweetlemon:
Yeah you heard me right.

When news of appointments breaks out, the first thing people will do is check the state of origin. Really? So track record is no longer important? Mr Fowler that was a Southerner was he not later shown to have fake certificates? And please don't give me that crap about competent people being in other tribes cos we all know for fact most people would prefer him to employ incompetent people from their regions rather than competent people from the North. And yes even some so called APC supporters too! Some Yorubas would also be feeling left out because they don't have "enough" appointments. Then when governance goes back to being business as usual with the same stories of missing hard currencies every week, we start crying for our sorry selves. Of the new list of appointments, there are 6 of them in number. fine 3 or 4 of them are Northerners but there are 3 Christians there plus one 0r two SSners. One name looks middlebeltan too. I checked this Col. Hameed's record and he is squeaky clean. But no he's not good enough for some people because he's a Northerner?

Stop getting worked up by clowns and mo-rons. They can shout on the internet all they want. Their wailing has no impact. The train of change is moving along...

1 Like

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by drss(m): 8:35pm On Aug 27, 2015
FreeGlobe:
Because competency can only be found in the northern part of Nigeria and there is no federal character law in Nigeria sweetlemon
Imagine! The whole of SW Corrupt!! Not one soul angelic enough for sgf. What a shame.
#proudly 5 percent.

6 Likes

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by omenka(m): 8:40pm On Aug 27, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Honey, you are simply wonderful! No wonder you are from the middlebelt. Beautiful people with people souls.
I wish I had your kind of faith bro. But I just need to bow out and just siddon look perhaps from the USA now cos I AM TIRED of people who do not have the faintest idea what they really want and what it takes to get what they want. Even when Buhari does something well, these people will pull it down with their own hands.
I just cant deal no more! I just kent!
Throwing in the towel now would mean succumbing to the baleful tantrums of these fickle minded goombahs.

Contrary to what they might assume, my faith in the president and his policies is fortified by their constant needless critical bombardment of his every action regardless of their propriety.

They've called me all manner of names pre and post election from a slave to a fool simply because I refuse to trudge along the same road to perdition with them. I grew a very thick skin to all their bullshiit long ago and would recommend you stay the course and grow one yourself. Some of these guys have lost their souls beyond every hope of redemption and would do anything to ensure they rob their misery off anyone they come in contact with, whether in real life or in the virtual world.

1 Like

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by TRUTHTOPOWER: 8:45pm On Aug 27, 2015
omenka:

omenka:
celebration of mediocrity just as long as "their brother" is the mediocre.
you have a laser tongue on issues! great post

1 Like

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by omenka(m): 8:46pm On Aug 27, 2015
drss:

Hahahaha! You don't see nothing wrong in Buhari's actions right? Continue living in the sand. By the time you wake up one morning and discover that ur children and grand children cannot secure employment in Nigeria, dont come here to cry us the ocean.
#proudly 5 percent. smiley
Biafra loding - 99%
My children and children's children won't look to secure employment- they will be employers.

It is high time some of you changed your orientation. And who says the realization of the biafra dream would translate into automatic employment??

Do you people even listen to yourselves when you talk at all??

1 Like

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by drss(m): 8:53pm On Aug 27, 2015
omenka:
My children and children's children won't look to secure employment- they will be employers.

It is high time some of you changed your orientation. And who says the realization of the biafra dream would translate into automatic employment??

Do you people even listen to yourselves when you talk at all??
Why are u talking like a stranger? You of all peolpe should know that South Easterners are industrious hard working people. Igbos are business minded by default. Creating job opportunities in Biafra land won't be a problem. Who knows, my pikin will employ ur pikin in his aeroplane factory in Awka. grin
Long live Biafra! cheesy

7 Likes

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by omenka(m): 8:59pm On Aug 27, 2015
drss:

Why are u talking like a stranger? You of all peolpe should know that South Easterners are industrious hard working people. Igbos are business minded by default. Creating job opportunities in Biafra land won't be a problem. Who knows, my pikin will employ ur pikin in his aeroplane factory in Awka. grin
Long live Biafra! cheesy
k.

1 Like

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by ejirede: 9:00pm On Aug 27, 2015
blueButtocks:
I challenge any Niger Deltan or Igbo to produce a list of 'clean' politicians from your region.
yeah! You can chalenge them for that but you wont challenge them for the oil that is coming from there land,hypocrite! So Buhari doesnt know that there is no credible and incoruptible persons from the whole southern Nigeria when he was romancing with some politicians from the region and also canvassing for there votes ?
Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by mars123(m): 9:11pm On Aug 27, 2015
Sweetlemon:
Yeah you heard me right.

p.w botha said, "GIVE A BLACK MAN A GUN,AND THEY WILL KILL THEMSELVES" this statement has proven to be very true even in a supposedly great country like ours...some people will die before they realize that north,south,east,west is just a boundary created by scientists. I don't even care what people say anymore, i just want a better country for my unborn children. Im just so glad that my immediate family isn't made up of tribalists and religious bigots. it doesn't affect me in the slightest way.

1 Like

Re: I'm Sick And Tired Of Nigeria!!!!!!!!! by Meiji(m): 9:31pm On Aug 27, 2015
Let me make this little input here. I understand the OP's frustration with the apparently excessive focus on ethnicity/ethnic origins and the need to make competence and ability to deliver the watchword with regard to making appointments at all levels. I used to think that way too until I learned more about Nigeria - and now I've had a change of mind.

The truth is that in Nigeria as currently constituted, ethnicity and tribe MATTER, especially as they relate to federal appointments. There are two major reasons why we need some kind of ethnic/regional balancing in federal appointments: 1) Because Nigeria is not yet a nation in the true sense; and 2) Because the country is structured in such a way as to give Abuja excessive power. No 2) is particularly important because if a region tends to have access to power in Abuja they can influence federal contracts and projects to benefit their region. The people of the South East would, for instance, easily point to the fact that no government deemed it necessary to provide them with an international airport until Stella Oduah (a "daughter of the soil" ) became Aviation Minister.

Anyone who has studied Nigeria's political history will know that one common theme has been the mutual distrust among our different ethnic groups which has been occasioned by a fear of domination. Federal character is simply an attempt (albeit an imperfect one) to address/allay these fears.

For me one thing that needs to be done in order to address this issue is to devolve powers. Make Abuja weaker and the states stronger, let the states and local governments have greater say and control over their own affairs. Let it never be again that, for instance, a Tinapa project would be frustrated and left to rot because a Federal Government would refuse to dredge the Calabar river (dredging of rivers and control of ports are in the exclusive list).

If we successfully devolve powers, it may no longer matter if a president makes all appointments from his hometown. But if we continue to retain this "feeding-bottle federalism" structure with an all-powerful centre, then I'm sorry to say, federal character will have to stay on and ethnicity in federal appointments will remain a talking point.

My two cents.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Mathematics Of How Saraki Will Survive / Is It Not Foolish To Merge Power, Housing And Works Ministries? / 2019: Five Abia Assembly Lawmakers Defects To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.