Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (150) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (786783 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Emmasmith2016: 7:57pm On Dec 16, 2015
glossybayor:
you are demn fortunate my broda, see what I'm talking about? Grace of God!!! I can boldly tell u dat 95% of people who did wot u did wud be denied der visa, u were denied a visa on Monday 14-12-15 dat was 2days ago, u went back today 16-12-15 and ur visa was approved. Seriously na God cos I can tell u dat 95% of people who have done dat never get it. Dey wud say ur too desperate, or u are intended immigrant. US Visa get as e be, na only God. Especially dos white wizards, be lik say dem dey read minds. grin grin

No be small thing my brother.....na God...na to just get faith.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by kingpowerunited: 9:29pm On Dec 16, 2015
So below is my transcript as promised. Please once you are at the embassy, pay attention to every announcement. Arrange your documents as advised to avoid being sent back to the beginning of the queue as this might affect your mood and confidence. [Never let those hustlers outside staple your passport to your confirmation print out]Ensure you have your 1-20, GTBank payment slip, interview conformation slip, SEVIS fee receipt and your DS160 Confirmation page.

So inside the interview hall [after waiting for the VOs to arrive and take their seats] people were arranged in lines of threes. Guys please don’t be intimidated. The VOs are professionals. Don’t think “Oh I’ve read that the Chinese looking guy is mean and does not give visas.” What all the VOs really want is to make sure you have put in some thought towards your decision to study in America. The VO’s are pros, they don’t know you and can’t make any judgments apart from what you fill and the interview. Keep calm. Don’t try to impress. The guy in front of me messed up big time, the look on the VO’s face was like “Gerrarahere mehn” and signaled me to come up. Here’s how it went

ME: Good morning sir [I greeted first, try and make it a conversation, it helps you relax]

VO: Good morning [sounding friendly, I was the only one who was first to greet any of the VOs]

ME: So how are you this morning then?

VO: I’m fine thank you, and you? [he looked up at me with interest, I nor send]

ME: Yeah I’m fine too, thanks. [I passed my documents across. He begins to think this one knows what to do. He returns my passport photo]

VO: Have you applied for a US visa before?

ME: Oh yes sir, I did last year.

VO: What was it that you applied for a visa for?

ME: I applied for a B1/B2 visa to attend an annual conference at Laguna Niguel in California. It was the Kairos Global Summit [I am a fellow] but my application was rejected [I didn’t wait for him to ask me whether it was rejected or not]

VO: Are you single or are you married?

ME: Single, very single

VO: So why are you going to study Theology in America?

ME: So okay I’m a preacher sir, I have preached in more than three countries around the world [he didn’t want to hear further after ‘I am a preacher’ so waves me to stop]

VO: What will this degree do for you in Nigeria?

ME: Well most importantly it will get me ordination at my church. A degree in theology is a core requirement for ordination. Though I am a minister, I am not an ordained pastor, then also my school upon graduation will give me an international license as a traveling minister of the Gospel [he cuts me]

VO: Did you apply to other colleges?

ME: Yeah, [I named them, and told him I stopped one of the application halfway]

VO: Do you want to tell me how you found out about this school?

ME: It’s affiliated to our church sir [he needed no further explanation, nods]

VO: What’s the name of the company you work for?

ME: I’m sorry sir I didn’t hear you clearly [I heard him clearly; I almost said the name a bit wrongly, like place one word in front of the other. I told him I worked as a minister at my church. So I just bought time with the “I didn’t hear you clearly”]

VO: When did you finish high school?

ME: In 2004 sir.

VO: [thinks that’s kinda way back] So what have you been doing since that time?

ME: [Gosh, I started rapping] Well I worked for an Indian company as an I.T consultant till 2010 then I moved to the UK to work as a Christian Missionary. I did one year there and was asked to return back to work there as they were impressed by my service. I completed the second year and was asked to…[signals me to stop with the hand, like ‘e don do, you’ve been quite busy’ while he is looking at my passports, containing four UK visas –three temporary work visas and one General Visitor Visa –two Kenyan Visas, one Uganda visa, one Russian student visa]

VO: Can you tell me the subjects/courses you will be taking in your first semester?

ME: First five books of the Bible, the Ministry of Jesus, Acts of the Apostles [all rubbish, I didn’t plan for that but nearly all the student visa people were asked this, so work on that]

VO: Who’s sponsoring you?

ME: My church is graciously sponsoring me, but it’s not a full ride [if you get a full scholarship, a full ride is more commonly used in America] so my brother is putting some money in and I have saved up as well.

VO: Okay I’m going to issue you a visa. Here’s your I-20

I spoke generally fast, but articulately. I was in charge of the interview. For every question he signaled me with the hand to stop because I had a lot to say. I spoke in a quintessentially British accent with every day British words. Please I say again do not fake accent because it made a lot of people stupid. Speak intelligently and at a normal pace. If you are a slow speaker, don’t increase your pace…speak as you would to a friend but never waste the VO’s time, he has a lot to interview for the day.

Most importantly, here are the major questions that were asked generally while I was there:

Why do you want to study in America?
What will you do when you come back to Nigeria?
Why did you choose this school?
Can you tell me your academic plans or please tell me your first semester courses [please work on these questions].

Here are my suggestions. Type these questions on MS word, then answer them. Print it out and read it. Let it be so part of you that even when you are shaking, you can still speak the answers from the back of your head. People’s answers were too generic. Do further research, steal the show: for example if asked why did you chose America [and not Nigeria or any other country] you could answer like this [this was my personal answer though I was not asked]

“Every year, nearly 1 million students chose to study in America because of America’s commitment to excellence, quality of education respected globally and cultural diversity. With nearly one million people going to America to study, it makes it 30 percent of the world’s international student’s population going to America alone…..” [Try and speak with facts and figures. It makes you look smart and convinces the VO that you’ve put in your time and thought into your decision]

When you print your QandA out, you can have a member of family or friend interview you with these questions [and more] but ask them to ask you these questions randomly [in no particular order] so it keeps you away from the order of prepared answers.
Most people who were asked about what they will do with the degree from USA, they kept saying
“I will use the knowledge to work in my father’s company” while this works for some people, the truth is that your father does not need your masters degree just to work for his company, na your papa get am na. Try and find the relevance of your course in NIGERIA.
Once you are there, do not panic. Take sighs. People that are in front of you may all be getting rejections. E nor mean. Keep calm. Don’t listen to more than four people’s interviews. It might distract your mood. I listened to people’s interviews sha and inside the hall I was laughing and even saying choi! At some responses.

There’s nothing God cannot do. Pray, be confident. If you are the speaking in tongues type, speak in tongues inside your belle or small small for mouth[this is generally good whenever you face any obstacle. It builds confidence]

The key is: C-O-N-F-I-D-E-N-C-E, like I said in a previous post, be like a penalty kick taker. Once you are there, don’t change your mind. Stick to the arrangement. Go slay it. Here’s wishing you well. If you need me to interview you over on the phone, that’s fine..ask for my number.

I’m a writer and speaker . I don speak to thousands and have lived and worked in the UK, been to several other countries so I was overly confident. Don’t be carried away by other people’s interview. Don’t wish for any particular VO. Just remain focused. If you nor hear wetin VO talk, just kindly let him know you did not hear with “I’m sorry I didn’t hear that sir or ma’am” or “I beg your pardon I didn’t hear you very well” because this happened to me too. The VO had to increase the volume on his thingy on his desk.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Motoshor(m): 9:33pm On Dec 16, 2015
Hello Nairalanders, am new here and I would be glad if I can get help on how to go about applying for GA at ETSU. Comments dat can guide me will be appreciated.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by fregkay: 10:38pm On Dec 16, 2015
Greatful sir,would give you a call tomorrow.God bless!
kingpowerunited:

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by wiseman2392(m): 11:34pm On Dec 16, 2015
Motoshor:
Hello Nairalanders, am new here and I would be glad if I can get help on how to go about applying for GA at ETSU. Comments dat can guide me will be appreciated.
Slimmy05 is in the best position to assist you, get him and talk to him. He's kind and always helpful.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Daniel3366: 1:05am On Dec 17, 2015
@slimmy05 broda I sent you a mail
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by warriboy21(m): 1:35am On Dec 17, 2015
congrats ya all n pls try to get dollar cash at hand tru pta before coming here o..atm exchange rate is not smiling o. .i withdraw yesterday with gtb..240 shocked

also try get some warm clothes dat u will need for now , maybe two because der r so many cheap ones ere u can buy later..we r in the winter now..cold don show smiley

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 2:14am On Dec 17, 2015
warriboy21:
congrats ya all n pls try to get dollar cash at hand tru pta before coming here o..atm exchange rate is not smiling o. .i withdraw yesterday with gtb..240 shocked

also try get some warm clothes dat u will need for now , maybe two because der r so many cheap ones ere u can buy later..we r in the winter now..cold don show smiley
na to dey rock heap of clothes like masquerade!, how your finals go?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by warriboy21(m): 2:31am On Dec 17, 2015
amanze15:
na to dey rock heap of clothes like masquerade!, how your finals go?
i don finish o baba
now is movie time grin
by d time i start streaming en,i sure say comcast go come seize my decoder grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 2:56am On Dec 17, 2015
warriboy21:

i don finish o baba
now is movie time grin
by d time i start streaming en,i sure say comcast go come seize my decoder grin

you get mouth na cheesy bills go dey pile up for you for you na

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by coobboy(m): 3:49am On Dec 17, 2015
Cold no show my side angry angry angry angry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Motoshor(m): 6:45am On Dec 17, 2015
Thanks @ wiseman2392, I already sent him a mail. God bless you bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 7:36am On Dec 17, 2015
Motoshor:

He will reply you ASAP
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by afolabibalogun: 8:12am On Dec 17, 2015
My wife and kids went through JFK poe via Qatar airways, and the CBP was very soft with them..... They were stamped in for 6 months with no issue at the POE
However, she had issues with the immigration at DOHA claiming her passport didn't resemble her...... Very funny, but they sorted it
They are now sleeping sleeping sleeping, after about 15 hours in the air from Doha to NY
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by wiseman2392(m): 8:41am On Dec 17, 2015
Motoshor:
I am going to ETSU also in January, when are u travelling?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by wiseman2392(m): 9:43am On Dec 17, 2015
Good day everyone in the house, again I give thank to God and dis forum for my success during my interview. I have dropped my transcript, pls the next step is my preparation for travelling. I am going to ETSU, I would appreciate your information booking cheap ticket and destination. Thanks and I hope to hear from you as soon as possible.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by wiseman2392(m): 9:44am On Dec 17, 2015
@Walspring, I sent u a PM, kindly help me look into it. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mekurexx: 10:15am On Dec 17, 2015
Really nice stuff and very articulate transcript. @kingpowerunited Congrats!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by tosynbolade(m): 10:47am On Dec 17, 2015
wiseman2392:
Good day everyone in the house, again I give thank to God and dis forum for my success during my interview. I have dropped my transcript, pls the next step is my preparation for travelling. I am going to ETSU, I would appreciate your information booking cheap ticket and destination. Thanks and I hope to hear from you as soon as possible.

You should take a flight to JFK after which you can take a greyhound to Tennessee. It will be cheaper that way. I am also going to Johnson City by January.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by wiseman2392(m): 12:17pm On Dec 17, 2015
tosynbolade:

You should take a flight to JFK after which you can take a greyhound to Tennessee. It will be cheaper that way. I am also going to Johnson City by January.
Thank you very much.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 12:25pm On Dec 17, 2015
wiseman2392:
@Walspring, I sent u a PM, kindly help me look into it. Thanks.

I've replied
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by kaykad: 1:56pm On Dec 17, 2015
Hi House,

I already have a 2 yrs visiting US visa, is it possible that i change my status to student when i get there? i need your advice on what to do cos am already in the process of apply to a school for a student visa.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by wiseman2392(m): 2:22pm On Dec 17, 2015
Walspring:
I've replied
I saw it, thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by wiseman2392(m): 2:25pm On Dec 17, 2015
tosynbolade:

Kindly reply the PM I sent to you. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mikkyphaton: 2:26pm On Dec 17, 2015
warriboy21:

thanks boss. Pls keep updating us

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by afolabibalogun: 2:31pm On Dec 17, 2015
kaykad:
Hi House,

I already have a 2 yrs visiting US visa, is it possible that i change my status to student when i get there? i need your advice on what to do cos am already in the process of apply to a school for a student visa.
I will not advise u to attempt changing a status from b1b2 to f1 in the USA,,,,, I will suggest u come back to Naija and apply afresh for a student visa.
There is a likelyhood (95% rate)your request for a change of status be denied in the US while on a visiting visa

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mikkyphaton: 2:42pm On Dec 17, 2015
Thursday 17th of Dec. 6:30 am appointment. After waiting on the queue for about three hours to get interviewed. It looked like it was only the woman at window 1 that was interviewing non-immigrants student visas. Finally my visa was approved. I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this forum in one way or the other, from slimmy05, walspring, bigfrancis, deetus and others with their construction criticism and explicit dissemination of vital information that is very useful in acquiring the visa. I would drop my transcript this evening, kind of stressed up now. But one major thing I know is that prayer works, cos that's about the major thing I did and I was highly favoured by God. Thanks to everyone once again and to those who are still going for their interview later this month, just as others prayed for me, I also pray for you that your heart desires would be granted and you all would come here to give your own testimony. In Jesus name. Amen.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by wiseman2392(m): 3:12pm On Dec 17, 2015
Mikkyphaton:
Thursday 17th of Dec. 6:30 am appointment. After waiting on the queue for about three hours to get interviewed. It looked like it was only the woman at window 1 that was interviewing non-immigrants student visas. Finally my visa was approved. I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this forum in one way or the other, from slimmy05, walspring, bigfrancis, deetus and others with their construction criticism and explicit dissemination of vital information that is very useful in acquiring the visa. I would drop my transcript this evening, kind of stressed up now. But one major thing I know is that prayer works, cos that's about the major thing I did and I was highly favoured by God. Thanks to everyone once again and to those who are still going for their interview later this month, just as others prayed for me, I also pray for you that your heart desires would be granted and you all would come here to give your own testimony. In Jesus name. Amen.
Congratulations! God, make it visa approved galore
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mikkyphaton: 3:19pm On Dec 17, 2015
Amen oooo. Thanks for your contribution to this forum. Wiseman2392

(1) (2) (3) ... (147) (148) (149) (150) (151) (152) (153) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.