Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,600 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (247) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (783058 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by biikeys(m): 2:53pm On Feb 22, 2016
DeeTus:
Bank statement is required for an interview.
http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-typefandm.asp

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by biikeys(m): 3:06pm On Feb 22, 2016
pepe4reps:

I mean is it necessary for me to have TOEFL or GRE when going to embassy as a doc supporting my student visa in as much as it wasn't required by d school DAT gave me d admission.thanks

It's entirely up to you. You may/may not be asked.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 4:24pm On Feb 22, 2016
biikeys:

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-typefandm.asp
Hahahaha. Hey man, did you check the link before asking me to do so? Tell me, what does "financial documents" represent?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 4:38pm On Feb 22, 2016
pepe4reps:

I mean is it necessary for me to have TOEFL or GRE when going to embassy as a doc supporting my student visa in as much as it wasn't required by d school DAT gave me d admission.thanks
Please try to take at least one standardized test in order to show the VO that you're "down to earth" with regard to your studies and that may also be your "saving grace" during the interview.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by biikeys(m): 6:32pm On Feb 22, 2016
DeeTus:
Hahahaha. Hey man, did you check the link before asking me to do so? Tell me, what does "financial documents" represent?

and you don't see that under supporting documents smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 6:47pm On Feb 22, 2016
biikeys:

and you don't see that under supporting documents smiley
Hahaha. You probably have taken that stuff. The stuff Trump takes before talking in public. Addiction is bad!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by rogerdavid: 6:53pm On Feb 22, 2016
imperiouxx:

I dont understand you

Imperiouxx I sent you a pm.
Pls reply when you can.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 8:22pm On Feb 22, 2016
Please anyone here in Mississippi? Also where can I check prices of flight tickets? Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mekurexx: 9:19pm On Feb 22, 2016
Wakanow, Expedia
Fortissimo:
Please anyone here in Mississippi? Also where can I check prices of flight tickets? Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by wine4dguy: 10:05pm On Feb 22, 2016
rogerdavid:

Great analysis Stolid!
Naija and Honesty, two big enemies! Sometimes I am forced to think that we will never move this country forward if we keep wanting cheap things at any cost.
I must say that, before I joined this thread I was reluctant to give out information that I considered sensitive about myself..... But I decided to read through some of the previous posts and found valuable info that showed logical consistency and were experientially relevant.....

What I am saying in essence is that I appreciate every contribution on this thread (I mean everything posted by everyone) and I am not reluctant to ask any question that I consider pressing on my mind because I can trust people here.

So I wonder why wine4guy will choose to be dishonest when dealing with people who are willing to help him/her.

Additionally, this is for people like me still seeking admission and visa:
Honestly I am thrilled at how people who already have started their studies give regular meaning contributions to this thread without being paid by anyone or having nothing to gain from an anxious applicant who need vital info

Don't be too hard on yourself
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 10:42pm On Feb 22, 2016
Mekurexx:
Wakanow, Expedia

Thanks a lot. Any light on mississippi? No one seems to have much good to say about that state.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 11:39pm On Feb 22, 2016
Fortissimo:

Thanks a lot. Any light on mississippi? No one seems to have much good to say about that state.
Reach bbdd
He is in olemiss.
Good luck.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 11:43pm On Feb 22, 2016
sirRiddy:

Reach bbdd
He is in olemiss.
Good luck.

Thanks a lot man. Hope you're doing good.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by oganlalasokun: 11:44pm On Feb 22, 2016
Pls how best can someone send money to the US from Nigeria, and at what likely rate pls ?
Thank u
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 12:00am On Feb 23, 2016
bbdd how r u finding MS? I know cost of living is good sha. Did you have any other options?what made you choose it? Would you be so kind as to tell me the good, bad and ugly? Especially from the perspective of an ambitious international student.

Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bbdd: 12:29am On Feb 23, 2016
Fortissimo:
bbdd how r u finding MS? I know cost of living is good sha. Did you have any other options?what made you choose it? Would you be so kind as to tell me the good, bad and ugly? Especially from the perspective of an ambitious international student.

Thank you.

Pm me
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 12:38am On Feb 23, 2016
bbdd:

Pm me

Done.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 1:23am On Feb 23, 2016
bbdd:

Pm me

bbdd, I hope you're set to leave Mississippi after your studies?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by aadeyi: 1:38am On Feb 23, 2016
oganlalasokun:
Pls how best can someone send money to the US from Nigeria, and at what likely rate pls ?
Thank u

Dm me. Can help you with that
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bbdd: 1:41am On Feb 23, 2016
imperiouxx:

bbdd, I hope you're set to leave Mississippi after your studies?

With immediate alacrity. Lol
After school, everyone bounces to the north east.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 3:28am On Feb 23, 2016
bbdd:

With immediate alacrity. Lol
After school, everyone bounces to the north east.

lolz. I know, just asking. MS isn't promising after school except you live on can foods and join to group of most obese population in the US. Job prospect is less than normal. Crime in Jackson, the capital and the supposed largest city in MS is very high. I once visited Jackson for 5 days and the American friends there were wishing they are from another parts of the country.

However, be careful about where you're coming in north east. Cost of living is incomparable with what you're use to in MS.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cuteconnec: 4:14am On Feb 23, 2016
MsNas:

See, my brother.. please do not be vexed about what I have to say o. I am very sorry in advance. Seeing that you posted this, after you posted this awhile ago means you're indeed in a rut and you need a quick, fast fix.

But truth be told, you got yourself into this situation. You should not have left Nigeria with the intention of studying without at least first semester tuition or funding. That said, what has happened has happened. You need a way out.

1. Did you not know that the tuition at UNO was high? Why did you still chose to transfer to Omaha even after knowing that? That aside, the black/white population in a school should be the least of your problems. I know a female nairalander who went to school in Omaha. NE and graduated from there. You're there to learn and simply to learn. Ignore the racial distribution. You will get used to the cold. Layer up, bundle up and you'll be fine

2. Do you have any hopes of paying your fees at UNO before transferring next semester? This I say because UNO will not release your SEVIS record for transfer until all outstanding tuition is paid. Did you talk to your graduate adviser at UNO and explain your situation to him? He might be able to find you a GA after one semester, if not this one. Explore all your avenues before giving up, bro

3. There are plenty of schools who will give funding for your course. You're studying IT/IS, funding opportunities abound. Trick is to start applications now, but you have to decide if you're gonna be applying as a fresh graduate international student or wait until after one semester of study at UNO and have grades transfer. If your grades from Nigeria (undergraduate GPA, GRE and TOEFL) aren't that stellar, I will suggest you do your best this semester and at least bag a 4.0 so as to make your search for funding more easy and promising.

4. If you fall out of status, you either have to apply for reinstatement in the US or do a another entry by going to Mexico or Canada and reentering with your new school I-20. Both come with their own set of pros and cons...Choice is your to make. But I tell you, falling out of status is not easy as everything will just tire you.

5. Why are you transferring from MIS to EE? Do you have an EE background? That said, IT jobs are in abundance and it's easier to get sponsorship. But maybe I'm saying that cos I'm an IT person. Who knows?

Hi MsNas, i really appreciate your honesty, you are very correct and i take no offense. I took many risk and they somehow didn't favor me. Most things you said i already know and currently exploring alternatives.
My bachelors degree is EE, so yes i have EE background and it seems easier to get funding with EE, that is why am exploring switching to EE.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cuteconnec: 4:16am On Feb 23, 2016
OjaP:
cuteconnec:

To be honest with you, I think you are so lucky today (no fighting or blaming or people cursing you out) and something tells me that whatever info you get from here today would be so beneficial to you. As a matter of fact, all of the comments here are valid and I would advice you make good use of them. As it has been said by others, there's no magic to funding; just research well and have good credentials.

In addition to what others have said, here are my suggestions:

- Find a list of all the schools that offer your course at PhD level in the USA.

- Email the grad coordinators of each of them (even if they are up to 20,000). At least half would respond and quarter would be positive about funding

- Apply to all of the schools that think you may qualify for scholarships or would give funding (even if they are 100 in number).

- At least one out of the over 100 schools that you applied to would give funding.

This is your last chance and I think it's a risk worth taking. So, spend all of your remaining money in paying for the application fees for these schools. The guy that WON the LOTTO recently in California played with over $10,000.

Simply, not only do you have to play the lotto to even dream of winning, you have to put in more money and permutate well to increase your chances.

N:B - Your first email to each of these professors would give the first impression. You don't want to get it wrong at all.

Good luck!!!
Thanks for the advice. You make plenty sense!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cuteconnec: 4:26am On Feb 23, 2016
landuseact:

I believe i raised about 3 out of the five points you raised here and someone else addressed this issue. I wonder why he or she chose to bring this up again.

Bros your input were invaluable but i wanted other persons perspective which i got from this post. Many thanks..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cuteconnec: 5:12am On Feb 23, 2016
hardeorlah:
Now let me tell my story. it all started like this. my uncle called me 2013 to start my application to a US university that he is ready to carry all d expenses. I Neva answered him but he keep pressing on me to start the processing.
well I started application to schools I got admission and my visa was approved last year. when I called this man he changed his mind DAT he is not ready to sponsor again that there is no money. Well with faith my parent gather the money dey had and the money I saved n I got to the state January 2016 with no instate waiver. But immediately i got to school I started going to financial aid office and I got scholarship. I also met a Nigeria who introduced me to an African professor n through that professor I got a graduate research assistant job which I will start next week. It has just been God. its not easy to survive in this country.

cutconnec don't give up. keep on pressing God will see you through.

hardeolah, nice story, lucky you, which school did you go to?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bbdd: 5:17am On Feb 23, 2016
imperiouxx:

lolz. I know, just asking. MS isn't promising after school except you live on can foods and join to group of most obese population in the US. Job prospect is less than normal. Crime in Jackson, the capital and the supposed largest city in MS is very high. I once visited Jackson for 5 days and the American friends there were wishing they are from another parts of the country.

However, be careful about where you're coming in north east. Cost of living is incomparable wtith what you're use to in MS.

I've never been to Jackson. Lol. I'm actually closer to Memphis Tennessee than Jackson.
It's cheap here, I must say. The stipends go far here and that's very good for student life.

The thing is that there's a high African American population here and the difference between the quality of life of the two racial groups is very high. Sad but true

Well, I'll do my time and bounce. I actually like the state in some aspects though. Maybe it's growing on me.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cuteconnec: 5:25am On Feb 23, 2016
purplesummer:

To add to what OjaP has suggested, you can actually have most or all of your application fees waived before applying. Several schools offered me an application fee waiver either without or upon my asking. I had to email some of my choice schools for a waiver which they happily granted. From the pool, I chose 4 schools to which I applied.

My point is, you can ask each of the schools to which you intend to apply for an application fee waiver so you won't have to waste the money you don't even have.
I hope this helps...God be with you!

Dear purplesummer, thanks for your input. I sum, i have actually applied to up to 8 schools and none offers application fee waiver. May your kindly share the schools that offered you application fee waiver, maybe i can take a look at those schools? Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by AgreatMan: 7:01am On Feb 23, 2016
amanze15:
Bros mi, why you no try contact the school of international affairs for that school, they might come in handy. abi na questions about the city of urbana champagne you wan inquire ni?

Hello. I go like chuk head for geo-engineering program at MST, any advice with regards funding (hope say e neva late)? Abeg gist me na.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 7:25am On Feb 23, 2016
AgreatMan:

Hello. I go like chuk head for geo-engineering program at MST, any advice with regards funding (hope say e neva late)? Abeg gist me na.

e never late. funding basically depends with the professor you want to work with, most of them need a lot of convincing, and they want you to probably have a research (thesis) with them therein have you pick some classes to catch up with what are doing undecided you would have to contact them directly and ask them if they have any ongoing project at hand, while you tell them of your willingness to work with them. simple!!! cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dannybrown19: 9:04am On Feb 23, 2016
JoyPaulLaw:

What I'm trying to say is: Applying for BSN may not be easy in the USA as some schs require Nursing License and the tuition fee is a little higher than other courses.
Almost all the schools u list out there have a VERY EASY admission process.
Applying for bachelors degree in nursing is like applying for any other course. Their tuition fee is always the same even without a prior knowledge of it. When you graduate you get to write an exam to be a registered nurse in whatever state you wanna practice
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dannybrown19: 9:09am On Feb 23, 2016
JoyPaulLaw:

I really don't think its possible to study B.S Nursing in the USA. They do require some docs Nursing License. My sister is also applying to one of the Sch u out up there and I must confess dia admission process is easy.
if you studied in any gud nursing school back in naija, and you have your RN, you can apply for a two yr top up program to get a BSN.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dannybrown19: 9:12am On Feb 23, 2016
Abigalbee98:
hi every1,been lng I post here.... pls gurus in da ous...I will really appreciate u guys if u guys can help me wit dis.....pls if u knw u won't say a positive tin just passby don't even quote.......I research on dis schools
delta state uni,cleveland
southern Missouri state uni
Minnesota state uni
west Texas A&M state uni
Minot state uni
bemidji state uni
alcorn state uni
Arkansas state uni
Williams Carey uni
and c dat dey are affordable.....wot I really want u guys to do is to shaft d good 1's out....going for my bachelor degree in nursing
tanks in advance............ 1 house/1 luv
Minnesota state uni
Minot state university cheaper cuz of in-state tuition but cold

(1) (2) (3) ... (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.