Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,758 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:46 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (266) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (783685 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mekurexx: 7:53pm On Mar 10, 2016
Its better to contact Program Coordinator or department head (if its for funding opportunities)- contacting a lecturer is OK too
monsieur2016:
Please guys, is it cool to contact a lecturer in the department you've been admitted into?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 8:08pm On Mar 10, 2016
nedum360:
Abeg, which Embassy is the best to apply for visa in naija. Issued a 214b in a foreign consulate and advised to go apply from Nigeria. Also, I was issued a 214b in Abuja in 2014 when I was going for an mph. The whole thing don dey tire me.

Cc : imperioux, Bigfrancis, Walspring, Zeezah, Slimmy and all the gurus in the house. Your input would be highly appreciated.

Its all about your choice, mission and dream
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 8:08pm On Mar 10, 2016
cuteconnec:

@ Walspring. I have paypal account, can the sender deposit naira directly in his paypal account from Nigeria. And at what rate will the naira be converted to dollar?

Its dollar and it will be converted to naira but exchange rate i am not sure but you will get it as CBN exchange rate.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by AgreatMan: 8:17pm On Mar 10, 2016
stolid:

Lol, I applied just recently and I'm awaiting admission decision.

How many Letters of Recommendation did you send please? And also, did you have to send an original copy of your transcript before a decision was made?

LORs are not required. Confirmed from the office manager before I applied. They are required for doctorate degree tho.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by AgreatMan: 8:18pm On Mar 10, 2016
fizzile:
Boss,did u apply for environmental science?

Applied to environmental engineering MS
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 8:34pm On Mar 10, 2016
mali46:
Please house I tank u all 4 ur supports here.
Please I urgently need a breakdown of how much I need to budget for processing the following student visa. @stolid advice i should remove UK out of it but I will need a download of it too. I ve checked online amd my head hasn't been able to think anything cos d more I check online d more confuse I bcom.

So pls how much will my parents, cos they are my sponsor budget to fund my student visa for the following countries: CANADA, UK, USA, maybe AUSTRALIA for both UNDERGRADUATE and POSTGRADUATE STUDY. Please I need it urgently. This is because I wouldn't want my daddy to involve an agent.
Please make una help me with the download

I got your PM, but I'm having a few challenges with my Yahoo mail account, so I can't reply right now. You see, bulk of the work is on you. You need to first decide if it's an undergraduate degree or postgraduate degree you want; I'm assuming you are also considering the possibility of going for an undergraduate degree and not just asking on someone's behalf.

I admonished you to give less priority to the UK given the stringency in immigration policies over there. Heck, international students cannot even work while studying, I think. Once you're done with studies, you're most likely coming home, immediately. That's a set up. Other countries you listed up there are alot better in that regard.

All in all, it all depends on what you want, and I can't decide for you.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by lobito007(m): 9:05pm On Mar 10, 2016
AgreatMan:

LORs are not required. Confirmed from the office manager before I applied. They are required for doctorate degree tho.
Bro, I guess you were referring to TAMUK. Do they waive toefl for nigerian applicants?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by fizzile(m): 9:37pm On Mar 10, 2016
Hey guys,can IELTS be stated as a standardised test when the VO asks if u hv taken any standardized test? Can ielts be regarded as one?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by ddbluv: 9:54pm On Mar 10, 2016
amanze15:

i think its sensible to do that after your first academic year. try and meet with your international student advisor for some follow up

Hello House... I need a credible online newspaper source that shows parallel market rate like vanguard, punch, thisdaylive, sun, guardian etc.
and not online blog. This is important for official purpose. If you got links online, please forward to me and not less-credible sites.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by ddbluv: 9:58pm On Mar 10, 2016
amanze15:

i think its sensible to do that after your first academic year. try and meet with your international student advisor for some follow up

Yeah, I heard its 1 year. Thats why I want to submit my application now since it takes 90 days for processing like normal OPT. Besides, I figure it'll be 1 academic year by the end of this semester so I can use it for summer work. Or is it 1 calendar year? They did not state it categorically. The international advisor office gave the go-ahead to apply as they have not done the application for anyone before.
If you know someone that has done it successfully before, please link me for more info. Omo! Nobody told me I had to pay for credit hours to register for CPT. I had banked on making cool money in summer, Never knew I had to pay to get authorization.
Anyway, thank God am still not in naija suffering heat, fuel scarcity, high cost etc. Also got good news of recent and today. My course got approved for STEM and the government has increased STEM OPT to 3 years.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by UGOFERDINAND: 10:01pm On Mar 10, 2016
OMO NO BE SMALL TINOMO NO BE SMALL TINOMO NO BE SMALL TIN
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by landuseact: 11:01pm On Mar 10, 2016
Please if there is anyone looking to start at NIU in Fall 2016 or Spring 2017 and needs cheap accomodation, let me know. I will be graduating in December but my lease right now expires in August. As long as you are not an animal lover and understand the basic etiquette that comes with having a roomate, you will be fine. It's $330 per month excluding utilities and comes with washing machine and dryer. Along bus route and very close to campus.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by monsieur2016(m): 11:10pm On Mar 10, 2016
Mekurexx:
Its better to contact Program Coordinator or department head (if its for funding opportunities)- contacting a lecturer is OK too

Actually, there is a nigerian lecturer in the department. I just thought of contacting him.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by MrMann1(m): 12:29am On Mar 11, 2016
fizzile:
Hey guys,can IELTS be stated as a standardised test when the VO asks if u hv taken any standardized test? Can ielts be regarded as one?

Didn't you write GRE or SAT?? You should mention them first before IELTS or TOEFL.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 12:50am On Mar 11, 2016
ddbluv...

Document circumstances of economic need: write a personal statement to USCIS describing the cause of the economic hardship and the effect that it has had on your personal finances, and attach any relevant documentation (example: proof of currency devaluation). Explain in the statement why other on-campus options are unavailable, or insufficient. Prepare a monthly budget outlining your income and expensesComplete the forms I-765 and g-1145, enter (c)(3)(iii) for item 16 on the form.Obtain two passport sized photos, photos must have been taken within 30 days of submitting application to USCISPrepare copies of: I-94 front and back, ID pages from passportPrepare a $380 check or money order made out to Department of Homeland SecurityIf applicable: prepare copies of any previously issued EAD cardsMeet with your International Student Advisor to request a new I-20 with DSO recommendation (bring the above documentation when meeting with advisor)Student will receive an e-mail from the Office of International and Cultural Affairs when I-20 with economic hardship recommendation is ready to be signed by the student.  Student will then send a copy of new I-20 with application materials to USCIS.Ship all documents to:

USCIS Phoenix Lockbox
For U.S. Postal Service (USPS) deliveries:
USCIS
PO Box 21281
Phoenix, AZ 85036

Or

For Express mail and courier deliveries:

USCIS
Attn: AOS
1820 E. Skyharbor Circle S
Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Issuance and Use of the Employment Authorization Document (EAD card):

USCIS will issue the student an Employment Authorization Document (EAD card) if employment is approved.  If the application is denied, then the student will receive a denial notice in writing, without the option to appeal.  In some situations, a motion to reopen may be available.The student may not begin employment until he or she receives the EAD card from USCIS.  It may take USCIS weeks or months to process the application. Work authorization is approved for one year at a time.  Students should reapply approximately 90 days before the end date on their EAD card, if they still require employment based on economic hardship.

Hope this would be helpful

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 12:59am On Mar 11, 2016
ddbluv:

Hello House... I need a credible online newspaper source that shows parallel market rate like vanguard, punch, thisdaylive, sun, guardian etc.
and not online blog. This is important for official purpose. If you got links online, please forward to me and not less-credible sites.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/naira-at-lowest-level-in-43-years-now-n305dollar/
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 7:39am On Mar 11, 2016
Thank God. My school told me to send an updated bank statement yesterday and then an I-20 will be issued. Gradually getting there.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dicapino: 8:54am On Mar 11, 2016
lobito007:

Bro, I guess you were referring to TAMUK. Do they waive toefl for nigerian applicants?

They will waive it if yu have a high VERBAL GRE score.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by justwise(m): 11:33am On Mar 11, 2016
stolid:

I got your PM, but I'm having a few challenges with my Yahoo mail account, so I can't reply right now. You see, bulk of the work is on you. You need to first decide if it's an undergraduate degree or postgraduate degree you want; I'm assuming you are also considering the possibility of going for an undergraduate degree and not just asking on someone's behalf.

I admonished you to give less priority to the UK given the stringency in immigration policies over there. Heck, international students cannot even work while studying, I think. Once you're done with studies, you're most likely coming home, immediately. That's a set up. Other countries you listed up there are alot better in that regard.

All in all, it all depends on what you want, and I can't decide for you.

That is not entirely true you may have to check your source of info again
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by KELVIN086: 1:04pm On Mar 11, 2016
justwise:

That is not entirely true you may have to check your source of info again
Sir the UK is facing a lot of immigration problems now ur expected to leave the country 2 months after study.
I read something about them passing a bill to stop international students from working late last year don't know if it has been implemented.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by justwise(m): 1:15pm On Mar 11, 2016
KELVIN086:

Sir the UK is facing a lot of immigration problems now ur expected to leave the country 2 months after study.
I read something about them passing a bill to stop international students from working late last year don't know if it has been implemented.

Again not entirely true, you read the headline and not the content.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cseejhay: 2:07pm On Mar 11, 2016
pls anybody in the house who studies at minot state university at present and someone who studies at virginia state university? pls its urgent!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cseejhay: 2:19pm On Mar 11, 2016
Fortissimo:

How much exactly are you looking at?

baba fortissimo...i am considering the posibility of getting a school with around 5k fee or thereabout.i have stumbled upon a few of them with around 6k+ tuition fee(tuition alone) though. any input sir.advice is appreciated.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by mali46(m): 3:30pm On Mar 11, 2016
THANKS BROTHERS FOR THE INFO. I THINKI WILL NOW CONSIDER TAKING AN UNDERGRADUATE COURSE IN EITHER CANADA OR AUSTRALIA.
I am grateful @ JUSTWISE and STOLID
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 3:38pm On Mar 11, 2016
cseejhay:

baba fortissimo...i am considering the posibility of getting a school with around 5k fee or thereabout.i have stumbled upon a few of them with around 6k+ tuition fee(tuition alone) though. any input sir.advice is appreciated.

Wow that's really low. The ones I know are above 7k. And that's just in-state I think. All the best man.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by worry359(m): 3:54pm On Mar 11, 2016
cseejhay:

Just be aware that if you apply for a visa to a very cheap school or college the V.O. may consider that the school is not worthwhile and that you are not serious about education.
People have been refused for this in the past.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 4:24pm On Mar 11, 2016
Guys is there any option more cost effective than paying your SEVIS fee using GIVEA? Does anyone know how much they charge though?

I'm not up for going to Seme.

Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 4:43pm On Mar 11, 2016
Fortissimo:
Guys is there any option more cost effective than paying your SEVIS fee using GIVEA? Does anyone know how much they charge though?

I'm not up for going to Seme.

Thanks.
Save yourself the stress and send a PM to Bigfrancis21 he would help you make the payment. You'll transfer the naira equivalent to him.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 5:06pm On Mar 11, 2016
dickoflife:
Thank God. My school told me to send an updated bank statement yesterday and then an I-20 will be issued. Gradually getting there.

But why dick of life undecided

Just curious.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 5:08pm On Mar 11, 2016
slimmy2005:
Save yourself the stress and send a PM to Bigfrancis21 he would help you make the payment. You'll transfer the naira equivalent to him.

Thanks bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 7:33pm On Mar 11, 2016
As a teenager I was timid and shy, a gal who had a crush on me then used to refer to me as a dick cus I couldn't get the courage to ask her out. Funny thing is now am the direct opposite. I think she works with UBA now.
imperiouxx:

Just curious.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 7:45pm On Mar 11, 2016
By the way how come you didn't gimme any helpful pointers but just a query? Abi you sef don gay?
imperiouxx:

Just curious.

(1) (2) (3) ... (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.