Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,872 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:18 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (270) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (783709 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 7:50pm On Mar 15, 2016
lobito007:
Rejection mail from univ of rhode island, Msc mech eng. So devastated right now, as it's the only school I have applied to. Not motivated to apply to any other. I cant imagine my dream of studying in the US forfeited.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 7:52pm On Mar 15, 2016
lobito007:
Heart-broken! Got a rejection mail from univ of rhode island, Msc mech eng. So devastated right now, as it's the only school I have applied to. Now, I'm not even motivated to apply to any other. However, I cant imagine my dream of studying in the US forfeited. Cant just jump on any school's page now to apply. Suggestions on schools that are safe for my profile would be appreciated. GRE: 300, CGPA: 3.63/5.00.

This is exactly the reason why VOs deny those that reply they applied to only one school. Admission is not automatic or by slotting system. It's by the highest competitor. You ought to have known this can come and apply to at least 3 schools, you would have saved yourself this unplanned frustration.

Many factors are considered during admission process, so if you're applying again any time soon and you still don't put many eggs in one basket, same fate is inevitable. This is about education in US friend.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 7:53pm On Mar 15, 2016
lobito007:
Heart-broken! Got a rejection mail from univ of rhode island, Msc mech eng. So devastated right now, as it's the only school I have applied to. Now, I'm not even motivated to apply to any other. However, I cant imagine my dream of studying in the US forfeited. Cant just jump on any school's page now to apply. Suggestions on schools that are safe for my profile would be appreciated. GRE: 300, CGPA: 3.63/5.00.
Rejection is a bad things and it can psychologically derail someone if not managed properly, this reminds me of a rejection from University of south Florida.( 3.31/4.0 CGP and 7.0 IELTS). I just said to myself ( Na dem loose, no be me),
Don't look at it that way, the earlier you get off the devastation the better.
I know some schools have their fall deadline around April, May, or even June. search for more schools and throw in more nets. I'm sure it will catch some fishes.
I also applied to just one school.
Sincerely I am so nervous. I just submitted all my docs yesterday, so I am prayerfully awaiting their positive response.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 7:56pm On Mar 15, 2016
frizzylee:
Thanks guys already noting all for next time .haha

Please gurus MI I have 1 more question how do an applicant know if he han been banned from entering the US for 10 years after an interview with a blue letter ..

Do you feel like you've done anything that can attract such penalty?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 8:08pm On Mar 15, 2016
Have been wondering if there is any one from this thread in Hunter College or College of Staten Island, both CUNY. If not, Hunter is good in many fields including science and nursing. They are both cheap but the city is crazily expensive.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 8:19pm On Mar 15, 2016
Olacombs23:
Good day evrryone. i intend going to live in america permanently, i graduated frm a private university in benin republic, bsc tho. will i see a good job with my african degree in usa or i'll have to apply for a master's program there first before i'll find a good job.. i'm bothered those white people might not accept ppl with an african degree. thnks

Forget about the white or no white insinuation. Answer is a NO to your degree. Ask from those who came to US on visa lottery with MS/PhD what they do their first few years...... security, grocery store, kitchen, taxi job etc. Even with a MS in US, no one guarantees you any job, let alone a good job. It depends on if your MS degree from US is in demand and if not, I'm sorry.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 8:28pm On Mar 15, 2016
prayerrain:

Rejection is a bad things and it can psychologically derail someone if not managed properly, this reminds me of a rejection from University of south Florida.( 3.31/4.0 CGP and 7.0 IELTS). I just said to myself ( Na dem loose, no be me),
Don't look at it that way, the earlier you get off the devastation the better.
I know some schools have their fall deadline around April, May, or even June. search for more schools and throw in more nets. I'm sure it will catch some fishes.
I also applied to just one school.
Sincerely I am so nervous. I just submitted all my docs yesterday, so I am prayerfully awaiting their positive response.

OK ooo. I bet you're absolutely sure the school wants no one else but you. You guys should be checking acceptance rate before apply to only one school
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 8:49pm On Mar 15, 2016
imperiouxx:

OK ooo. I bet you're absolutely sure the school wants no one else but you. You guys should be checking acceptance rate before apply to only one school

while awaiting their decision, I have started checking out other schools as well.
thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dicapino: 8:51pm On Mar 15, 2016
stolid:

Guy your number no dey go

My phone is on now
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 9:32pm On Mar 15, 2016
imperiouxx:

Forget about the white or no white insinuation. Answer is a NO to your degree. Ask from those who came to US on visa lottery with MS/PhD what they do their first few years...... security, grocery store, kitchen, taxi job etc. Even with a MS in US, no one guarantees you any job, let alone a good job. It depends on if your MS degree from US is in demand and if not, I'm sorry.
Tell us more please, what courses and degrees are more in demand in the US, also which state is more foreigners/student friendly and relatively cheap. Thanks sir
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by aadeyi: 9:52pm On Mar 15, 2016
Fortissimo:

Makes sense. Abeg bros I asked you earlier if you are still in MSU.

Not anymore bro. Sorry I was late.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 9:57pm On Mar 15, 2016
Hello House,

Does anyone know anything about arkansas Tech University?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 9:59pm On Mar 15, 2016
TRANSFAST......is it a credible media to send and receive money from Nigeria?! anyone
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 10:20pm On Mar 15, 2016
aadeyi:

Not anymore bro. Sorry I was late.

Ok no wahala.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by aadeyi: 10:21pm On Mar 15, 2016
amanze15:
TRANSFAST......is it a credible media to send and receive money from Nigeria?! anyone

Yes it is. They operate with the parallel market with just a little difference in exchange rate. But I will advise you only use them to send money to Nigeria and use Western Union or Money gram to send money from Nigeria.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 10:31pm On Mar 15, 2016
lobito007:
URI is competitive bro.
I applied to PhD chemistry and they put me on waiting list.
More reason why I applied to 4 schls.
check out Tennessee Tech uni
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mekurexx: 10:32pm On Mar 15, 2016
Wayne state is pretty much expensive. its more than $25k in tuition & accomodation. Their application is free. And their public health program looks really good. If you have the $$$ then go ahead and apply, I dont know much about their funding but my cousin got admission there and was in the range of 8m-10m Goodluck
motifoluwasolami:
good day everyone, please how good is wayne state university and how expensive is it. i mailed the school about tuition, and i am yet to get a reply
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by lobito007(m): 10:35pm On Mar 15, 2016
Holudarey01:
URI is competitive bro. I applied to PhD chemistry and they put me on waiting list. More reason why I applied to 4 schls. check out Tennessee Tech uni
Thanks bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mekurexx: 10:44pm On Mar 15, 2016
The school I got admitted to, I was positive of getting admitted but didnt take chances and applied to 4 more schools. if you have evaluated your transcript, it will be easier and cheaper if you consider applying to more schools. You have a good profile. Like someone said, apply 2 top schools and ''average'' schools (whatever that means). Goodluck!
lobito007:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by OjaP: 11:04pm On Mar 15, 2016
lobito007:

Safe schools:

California State University, Northridge.

Fresno State University.

Good schools:

University of Tennessee, Knoxville.

Michigan Technological University.

The two good schools let you upload your documents ONLY for admission purpose. So, it's worth trying.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 11:04pm On Mar 15, 2016
lobito007:
Thanks bro.
you wcm. I'm sure you'd like Tennessee Tech. We have similar profile
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 11:12pm On Mar 15, 2016
Holudarey01:

URI is competitive bro.
I applied to PhD chemistry and they put me on waiting list.
More reason why I applied to 4 schls.
check out Tennessee Tech uni

I'm not citing anyone's reasons for applying to one. But the facts I have gathered here is that some don't like stress, they believe searching schools is stressful. Some don't want to pay the application fee, even that one school is costly. Some simply don't know what or where to search.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 12:29am On Mar 16, 2016
aadeyi:

Yes it is. They operate with the parallel market with just a little difference in exchange rate. But I will advise you only use them to send money to Nigeria and use Western Union or Money gram to send money from Nigeria.
thanks sir
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by biikeys(m): 1:05am On Mar 16, 2016
amanze15:
thanks sir

Check if La Nacional has agents close to you. They have much better rates...if you're in the US
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 1:45am On Mar 16, 2016
I went through some replies on this thread, I must say. while most of them have been informative, helpful, interesting to read, great, etc. some of them have been disappointing. What works for Mr A may NOT work for Mr B. I know how nice it is to get someone's opinion and/or read about one's experience, it is not enough to judge future results solely based on the any of these. I remember how many people still believe getting LLB, MBBS, Nursing degrees are the only ways to succeed in life. The instant you say for example: Geography Major, or something similar, they start laughing at you like you have made the biggest mistake of your life. People have different circumstances, people are unique. Understand someone's circumstance before you criticize/advise and when you do, be constructive and not destructive with your criticisms.
I am not totally comfy with the idea that saying you got to know about a school through online research works against you (only saying it in a kind of generic, uninspiring, crammed way could do this... COULD). Seriously?!!!, sometimes that's the only way we get to know about these schools. some people don't have friends or relatives abroad who would tell them about a school or city/state (In some cases, saying a relative told you about a school in their city could make the VO think you're planning to get closer to them so as to immigrate). That's why the internet is there! I understand it's boring to just give a generic answer, there are better ways to put it to the VO and you should still give them the impression that you know what you're really doing (my opinion).
Secondly, "This is exactly the reason why VOs deny those that reply they applied to only one school". Is this how it really is? That's gonna be disappointing if true. Again, different circumstances for different people. You could have a plan to submit applications to 5 schools. First application. decision. positive + full funding, what's the point in going ahead with the other ones? is 1/5 success better than 1/1? These VOs dey frustrate people sha.
My point is: Understand where someone is coming from before you criticize/advise. It's like advising someone who studied Guidance and Counselling (Faculty of Education) to try to jump to Computer science MSc because the degree is in demand abroad. Discouraging them from pursuing a teaching post-graduate degree cos you think there's no future. If they're interested in it, motivated to do it, people can be whatever they wanna be!
People make mistakes. if the mistake is irreversible, don't make them feel like the world is gonna end before morning. Advise them on how to do better, we are all here to learn.
This isn't an attack on anyone. No offence intended o. It is my opinion and your critiques are welcome.

Moving on now, I just got an admission offer. Oklahoma State University. That's the only school I applied to. waiting for their funding decision. it's usually a tuition waiver plus stipend of 11k per annum + insurance coverage. If them gimme, I fit no bother to waste time with other applications. The graduate coordinator don turn my padi sef. He helped me contact the right people, they waived the $75 application fee for me when I dey apply.

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by McKinzie: 2:23am On Mar 16, 2016
amanze15:

Are you trying to send money home?. I pay $210 per $. Hit me up if interested.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by McKinzie: 2:27am On Mar 16, 2016
Hey guys, I have some few bucks. Hit me up if youre planning to send money home to your loved ones. I can pay them =N=210 to $1 against the banks paying them =N=196 to $1. (Also remember there is nothing like sending fees)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by landuseact: 3:51am On Mar 16, 2016
sureb0y:
I went through some replies on this thread, I must say. while most of them have been informative, helpful, interesting to read, great, etc. some of them have been disappointing. What works for Mr A may NOT work for Mr B. I know how nice it is to get someone's opinion and/or read about one's experience, it is not enough to judge future results solely based on the any of these. I remember how many people still believe getting LLB, MBBS, Nursing degrees are the only ways to succeed in life. The instant you say for example: Geography Major, or something similar, they start laughing at you like you have made the biggest mistake of your life. People have different circumstances, people are unique. Understand someone's circumstance before you criticize/advise and when you do, be constructive and not destructive with your criticisms.
I am not totally comfy with the idea that saying you got to know about a school through online research works against you (only saying it in a kind of generic, uninspiring, crammed way could do this... COULD). Seriously?!!!, sometimes that's the only way we get to know about these schools. some people don't have friends or relatives abroad who would tell them about a school or city/state (In some cases, saying a relative told you about a school in their city could make the VO think you're planning to get closer to them so as to immigrate). That's why the internet is there! I understand it's boring to just give a generic answer, there are better ways to put it to the VO and you should still give them the impression that you know what you're really doing (my opinion).
Secondly, "This is exactly the reason why VOs deny those that reply they applied to only one school". Is this how it really is? That's gonna be disappointing if true. Again, different circumstances for different people. You could have a plan to submit applications to 5 schools. First application. decision. positive + full funding, what's the point in going ahead with the other ones? is 1/5 success better than 1/1? These VOs dey frustrate people sha.
My point is: Understand where someone is coming from before you criticize/advise. It's like advising someone who studied Guidance and Counselling (Faculty of Education) to try to jump to Computer science MSc because the degree is in demand abroad. Discouraging them from pursuing a teaching post-graduate degree cos you think there's no future. If they're interested in it, motivated to do it, people can be whatever they wanna be!
People make mistakes. if the mistake is irreversible, don't make them feel like the world is gonna end before morning. Advise them on how to do better, we are all here to learn.
This isn't an attack on anyone. No offence intended o. It is my opinion and your critiques are welcome.

Moving on now, I just got an admission offer. Oklahoma State University. That's the only school I applied to. waiting for their funding decision. it's usually a tuition waiver plus stipend of 11k per annum + insurance coverage. If them gimme, I fit no bother to waste time with other applications. The graduate coordinator don turn my padi sef. He helped me contact the right people, they waived the $75 application fee for me when I dey apply.

While I understand what you just wrote here, you need to realise that when you are on a public forum it is expected that not all comments or advice that you receive will be useful or relevant to your situation. The onus lies on whoever is receiving such information to separate the wheat from the chaff.
I remember when I was asked how many schools I applied to at the embassy and I said just two and only one gave me admission. I still got my student visa then. A lot of answers people give here is not so much "only one answer" but rather "increasing your chances" kind of answers.

Let me take one of the issues you raised as an example. If Mr. A is advising Mr. B that wants to study guidance and counselling to study something related to computer science instead because of Job opportunity and getting visa, then Mr. B should realise that if he really wants to study guidance and counselling, he has to be prepared with a very good reason to convince the V.O when asked why he chose that course. It's as simple as that.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by ttmacoy: 4:01am On Mar 16, 2016
http://oiss.wayne.edu/new-students/undergraduate-tuition.php

motifoluwasolami:
good day everyone, please how good is wayne state university and how expensive is it. i mailed the school about tuition, and i am yet to get a reply
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by angel34real(f): 4:15am On Mar 16, 2016
prayerrain:
Please does anyone know any other school that I can apply to with wes evaluated transcript and IELTS only.

Sam Houston State University at Hunstville
Sul Ross state university at Alpine
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by aadeyi: 4:46am On Mar 16, 2016
McKinzie:

Are you trying to send money home?. I pay $210 per $. Hit me up if interested.

If you pay 210, I can pay 280 for anyone interested
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by monsieur2016(m): 7:33am On Mar 16, 2016
Seems nobody here attends Stephen F. Austin State university or knows someone attending or planning to attend.

I'll just move on sad sad

(1) (2) (3) ... (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.