Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,832 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (271) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (784702 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by rydow(m): 7:39am On Mar 16, 2016
lazywriter:

Has the I 20 already been prepared by the school?

It usually take a school 4-6 weeks to prepare the I 20 from the day of official admission

wow!

Maybe that's where I got it all wrong. I don't know it takes that long.

Thanks for the response
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 8:17am On Mar 16, 2016
Oga I applied to one school and got an admit response. So I think its about luck. Make God help us all o
imperiouxx:

This is exactly the reason why VOs deny those that reply they applied to only one school. Admission is not automatic or by slotting system. It's by the highest competitor. You ought to have known this can come and apply to at least 3 schools, you would have saved yourself this unplanned frustration.

Many factors are considered during admission process, so if you're applying again any time soon and you still don't put many eggs in one basket, same fate is inevitable. This is about education in US friend.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by warriboy21(m): 8:19am On Mar 16, 2016
Lool.. Pls I will go for d 280/$... I need to send 30 dollars to naija

Mckenzie I'm suspecting ur money car.. smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 8:41am On Mar 16, 2016
decisions flowing in like flash. still expecting own Who has been admitted to Michigan Tech here?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 9:38am On Mar 16, 2016
Grand valley state uni here.
Holudarey01:
decisions flowing in like flash.
still expecting own
Who has been admitted to Michigan Tech here?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by monsieur2016(m): 10:08am On Mar 16, 2016
Stephen F. Austin State here

dickoflife:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by starboy2015: 10:08am On Mar 16, 2016
please i need help on how i can get admitted to a university in usa for my masters in business administration and management.i graduated september 2012 from lagos state university and came out with second class upper..please i will need an advise on way to go to get admitted.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by worry359(m): 10:12am On Mar 16, 2016
starboy2015:
please i need help on how i can get admitted to a university in usa for my masters in business administration and management.i graduated september 2012 from lagos state university and came out with second class upper..please i will need an advise on way to go to get admitted.

All the information is here if you read back.
Do you have funds to cover all your schooling, accommodation and air fares?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 10:23am On Mar 16, 2016
landuseact:

If Mr. A is advising Mr. B that wants to study guidance and counselling to study something related to computer science instead because of Job opportunity and getting visa, then Mr. B should realise that if he really wants to study guidance and counselling, he has to be prepared with a very good reason to convince the V.O when asked why he chose that course. It's as simple as that.

I'm glad you understood what I was trying to say. Nice contribution too. case dismissed cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 10:43am On Mar 16, 2016
dickoflife:
with funding?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by monsieur2016(m): 10:57am On Mar 16, 2016
Please guys, is the 'living expenses' fee on the I20 compulsory if you don't intend to stay on campus?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by exxy(m): 10:59am On Mar 16, 2016
exxy:

is any body sending money from US to naija?
If you want to send money from the US to Niaja use
ping-express.com / register with ur international passport or you state or Drivers ID.
after u register, send a picture of ur ID to their email. i think their rate currently is 265 but will be 285 to $1 nest week.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by UNIXLover(m): 11:44am On Mar 16, 2016
Hello Guys,
Please urgent advise here.
Can I still travel with Visa obtained in Spring for fall with a new I-20 form.
I am reading forums online That I do not need to re-appear at the embassy while some folks says I have to re-appear due to five months rules.
The school is ready to send me another I-20 for fall but I dont want to re-appear at the embassy again.
Can someone please advice me on how to handle this?

Thanks alot
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by masquellett(m): 1:41pm On Mar 16, 2016
Hello House. Imperiouxx and other gurus, I want to know if I could mail my admission councilor to ask of any update on my admission process. Is it right to do so? As my application page isn't giving me enough information about my admission process and the waitt is killing, because we already in the middle of March and some schools hve been admitting international students for fall admission. Thanx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by warriboy21(m): 1:44pm On Mar 16, 2016
starboy2015:
Com to Valparaiso University

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 1:47pm On Mar 16, 2016
masquellett:
Hello House. Imperiouxx and other gurus, I want to know if I could mail my admission councilor to ask of any update on my admission process. Is it right to do so? As my application page isn't giving me enough information about my admission process and the waitt is killing, because we already in the middle of March and some schools hve been admitting international students for fall admission. Thanx

Most of them always write that contacting them RE: your admission status could slow down the process and delay their decisions. It's always better to wait for them to do their ish at their own time. If you're very impatient like me sha, you could just send them an email and ask the question in a general way (I didn't send any mail to ask o). Like you would like to know when they usually make decisions. Don't quote your case, just ask them when they generally decide. My advice is to wait though. I hope this helps.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by warriboy21(m): 2:08pm On Mar 16, 2016
exxy:

If you want to send money from the US to Niaja use
ping-express.com / register with ur international passport or you state or Drivers ID.
after u register, send a picture of ur ID to their email. i think their rate currently is 265 but will be 285 to $1 nest week.
i jus try dem now but cudnt proceed.

which of d ping express u talking bout.?,,i think d site is not of quality...so i couldnt trust them wit my card details.

their transaction summary looks like a scam. dunno if d site is under maintenance or no nyways
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 16, 2016
imperiouxx:

Forget about the white or no white insinuation. Answer is a NO to your degree. Ask from those who came to US on visa lottery with MS/PhD what they do their first few years...... security, grocery store, kitchen, taxi job etc. Even with a MS in US, no one guarantees you any job, let alone a good job. It depends on if your MS degree from US is in demand and if not, I'm sorry.
Alright thnks bro. no problem
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by olenime(m): 3:24pm On Mar 16, 2016
masquellett:
yea, i understand how killing is could be, but have it that you will surely be contacted. keep praying and keep being positive! i disturbed my school last year about my decision but denied. pls have patient like NEW me...lol
you can as well check http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php for any update about your school. it a forum to see if they have started sending admission decision to others.
i hope this helps....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 4:07pm On Mar 16, 2016
dickoflife:
Oga I applied to one school and got an admit response. So I think its about luck. Make God help us all o

lol cheesy Luck plays no roles in admission decision. You were asked to submit your application materials so as to compare you with other applicants. By selection, they selected those deemed fit from the application pool after the deadline. It's just like cut off point system in Jamb in Nigeria.

Try re read where I said admission is by highest competitor and that many factors are considered during screening and that schools acceptance rate shouldn't be overlooked. Therefore, if you're one of the highest competing applicants, even if that's the only school you applied, why would you be rejected? My point was how would you know if there won't be many strong applicants during the selection? So by that applying to 2 or 3 schools increases your chance of getting admission for that semester. This is logical, if one doesn't work one would. It's funny how one school comments started popping up after my initial post like my point wasn't clearly stated.

An example, in Jan or so, a guy here (I can't find the link anymore) applied to 2 schools, 1 highly rated and 1 lowly rated. The lowly rated rejected him while the highly rated accepted him. Why this? The application pool for that particular semester in the lowly rated school was populated by high profile applicants and his application becomes insignificant.

sureb0y:

Secondly, "This is exactly the reason why VOs deny those that reply they applied to only one school". Is this how it really is? That's gonna be disappointing if true. Again, different circumstances for different people. You could have a plan to submit applications to 5 schools. First application. decision. positive + full funding, what's the point in going ahead with the other ones? is 1/5 success better than 1/1? These VOs dey frustrate people sha.

And for you, one question you need to address is why the VOs always ask "how many schools you applied to" during student visa interviews. It's not because they have no more questions. They ask to see if you're really serious about the admission. Generally speaking, one school is a unique pattern among the unserious applicants.

And saying you got admitted to one school while you're in the process of applying to other is laughable. Don't forget that we've been through this application process too. If your target is fall semester for example, almost all schools start making decisions around the same time. Rolling admission is not common, probably your one school doesn't even doing rolling. Tell me what time you have to wait for the outcome of decision from the one school before you start applying to others? By then deadline date is already passed.

Therefore, if you're thinking this's what would be your reply to the VO during your interview....... I'm sorry, you've entered one chance, they know too well better than you do that such claim makes no sense. I'm not discouraging you but work more on what your claims would be if you're asked.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by olenime(m): 4:49pm On Mar 16, 2016
imperiouxx:

lol cheesy Luck plays no roles in admission decision. You were asked to submit your admission materials so as to compare you with other applicants. By selection, they selected those deemed fit from the application pool based on all applicants profile after the deadline. It's just like cut off point system in Jamb in Nigeria.

Try re read where I said admission is by highest competitor and that many factors are considered during screening and that schools acceptance rate shouldn't be overlooked. Therefore, if you're one of the highest competing applicant, even if that's the only school you applied, why would you be rejected? My point was how would you know if there won't be many strong applicants during the selection? So by that applying to 2 or 3 schools increases your chance of getting admission for that semester. This is logical, if one doesn't work one would. It's funny how one school comments started popping up after my initial post like my point wasn't clearly stated.

An example, in Jan or so a guy here applied to 2 schools, 1 high rated and 1 low rated. The low rated rejected him while the high rated accepted him. Why this? The application pools for that particular semester in the low rated school was populated by high profile applicants and his application was consumed.

And for you, one question you need to address is why the VOs always ask "how many schools you applied to" during student visa interviews. This is common sense. It's not because they have no more questions. They ask to see if you're really serious about the admission. Generally speaking, one school is a unique pattern among the unserious applicants.

And saying you got admitted to one school while you're in the process of applying to other is laughable. Don't forget that we've been through this application process too. If your target is fall semester for example, almost all schools start making decisions around the same time. Rolling admission is not common, probably your one school doesn't even doing rolling. Tell me what time you have to wait for one school decision before you start applying to others? By then deadline date is already passed. Therefore, if you're thinking this what would be your reply to the VO during your interview....... I'm sorry, you've entered one chance, they know too well better than you do that such claim makes no sense.
Thankks for that insight broe, in a nut shell, it is always advisable to apply to more than one school, this I aaccept! But the dollar rate is killing plenty of us.
God help us!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 4:58pm On Mar 16, 2016
olenime:

Thankks for that insight broe, in a nut shell, it is always advisable to apply to more than one school, this I aaccept! But the dollar rate is killing plenty of us.
God help us!

I understand your point. The same money you will spend if the lone school eventually rejects you. And by then, time is no more on your side. So why not use one stone to kill few more birds? Between 2 - 4 applications is good. Either you're a genuine student or your intention is to elope as soon as your feet touch US soil, don't forget that that applicant fee and processing money is just 1/1,000,000 dollars you will still spend during your staying in US.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by olenime(m): 5:03pm On Mar 16, 2016
imperiouxx:

I understand your point. The same money you will spend if the lone school eventually rejects you. And by then, time is no more on your side. So why not use one stone to kill few more birds? Between 2 - 4 applications is good. Either you're a genuine student or intention is to elope as soon as your feet touch US soil, don't forget that that applicant fee and processing money is just 1/1,000,000 dollars you will still spend during your staying in US.
You've spoken well broe.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 5:20pm On Mar 16, 2016
UNIXLover:
Hello Guys,
Please urgent advise here.
Can I still travel with Visa obtained in Spring for fall with a new I-20 form.
I am reading forums online That I do not need to re-appear at the embassy while some folks says I have to re-appear due to five months rules.
The school is ready to send me another I-20 for fall but I dont want to re-appear at the embassy again.
Can someone please advice me on how to handle this?

Thanks alot

Can you quote where you got the rule? What I know is that entering is permitted within 1 year of obtaining your F1 visa. The new I-20 should have the same sevis number and from the same school right as it's on your visa.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 5:26pm On Mar 16, 2016
masquellett:

I would write them if I feel it's taking too long. It's either they reply you or not, nothing to lose but I'm sure they will reply you with a good reason. Have you checked their website to see how long it takes them to make decision?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cutemorgan(m): 5:42pm On Mar 16, 2016
imperiouxx:

I would write them if I feel it's taking too long. It's either they reply you or not, nothing to lose but I'm sure they will reply you with a good reason. Have you checked their website to see how long it takes them to make decision?
Spot on oga imperious. I actually mailed my school around January to make an enquiry about the status of my application, the departmental website states that decisions are made immediately after the priority deadline (Dec. 15). I got a reply from the grad. coordinator telling me applications were undergoing departmental review. So i don't really think there's any harm in mailing to check the status of your application unless it's stated otherwise on the university website.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cseejhay: 5:46pm On Mar 16, 2016
hello house....pls i need your help.i am at a location where i cant lay my hands on on any SAT or TOEFL material,i am preparing for these tests and i have limited time to prepare.pls i havr contacted gieva.i will be in lagos next week.pending the time i arrive lagos,i will need materia in pdf to study....i feel so unserious right now...like am wasting a graceful oppurtunity to study.pls anyone that can help should reply ma post ooo....na beg i dey beg.am actually buying the prep materials from gieva next week.pls someone help me.thanks alot.pdf text For SAT or TOEFL.i just need to study.thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 6:32pm On Mar 16, 2016
Holudarey01:

with funding?
dem say I fit get GA if my dept get enough money but I never see funding letter o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 6:35pm On Mar 16, 2016
Hmn? On top all d intea wan turn me to baby.
imperiouxx:

lol cheesy Luck plays no roles in admission decision. You were asked to submit your admission materials so as to compare you with other applicants. By selection, they selected those deemed fit from the application pool after the deadline. It's just like cut off point system in Jamb in Nigeria.

Try re read where I said admission is by highest competitor and that many factors are considered during screening and that schools acceptance rate shouldn't be overlooked. Therefore, if you're one of the highest competing applicants, even if that's the only school you applied, why would you be rejected? My point was how would you know if there won't be many strong applicants during the selection? So by that applying to 2 or 3 schools increases your chance of getting admission for that semester. This is logical, if one doesn't work one would. It's funny how one school comments started popping up after my initial post like my point wasn't clearly stated.

An example, in Jan or so, a guy here (I can't find the link anymore) applied to 2 schools, 1 highly rated and 1 lowly rated. The lowly rated rejected him while the highly rated accepted him. Why this? The application pool for that particular semester in the lowly rated school was populated by high profile applicants and his application becomes insignificant.

And for you, one question you need to address is why the VOs always ask "how many schools you applied to" during student visa interviews. It's not because they have no more questions. They ask to see if you're really serious about the admission. Generally speaking, one school is a unique pattern among the unserious applicants.

And saying you got admitted to one school while you're in the process of applying to other is laughable. Don't forget that we've been through this application process too. If your target is fall semester for example, almost all schools start making decisions around the same time. Rolling admission is not common, probably your one school doesn't even doing rolling. Tell me what time you have to wait for the outcome of decision from the one school before you start applying to others? By then deadline date is already passed.

Therefore, if you're thinking this what would be your reply to the VO during your interview....... I'm sorry, you've entered one chance, they know too well better than you do that such claim makes no sense. I'm not discouraging you but work more what your claims would be if you're asked.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by purplesummer(f): 6:43pm On Mar 16, 2016
masquellett:
When I applied to UMD, I waited to be communicated on the outcome of their admission decision but they were taking too long. I called them only to find out that I had long been admitted but they failed to send me a mail apparently by oversight. They apologised and within few minutes I received the appropriate mails. So, send them a mail or better still call them on the phone.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by masquellett(m): 7:31pm On Mar 16, 2016
purplesummer:

When I applied to UMD, I waited to be communicated on the outcome of their admission decision but they were taking too long. I called them only to find out that I had long been admitted but they failed to send me a mail aparently by oversight. They apologised and within few minutes I received the apropriate mails. So, send them a mail or better still call them on the phone.

Thanks dear. Will do that as soon as possible.

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.