Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,794 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:50 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (281) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (785286 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 8:59pm On Mar 21, 2016
don4ye:
@ imperiouxx Urgently, pls can I survive with 2.1m naira at Bridgeport or Valparaiso? No funding..help help

How much is your tuition in that? That's not enough. Those cities are still affordable but you will have to get some kind of employment to be able to survive.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by don4ye: 9:10pm On Mar 21, 2016
imperiouxx:

How much is your tuition in that? That's not enough. Those cities are still affordable but you will have to get some kind of employment to be able to survive.
14k$For Bridgeport and 12k$ for Valparaiso ni. I placed a call with Bridgeport the lady said I can put in for assistantship while on campus.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 9:32pm On Mar 21, 2016
slimmy2005:
when you come here you'll know why.

#fact
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 9:35pm On Mar 21, 2016
imperiouxx:

Maybe he's also playing the game Tom Clancy's The Division.
grin cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by biikeys(m): 10:01pm On Mar 21, 2016
MsNas:

Like someone said, Atlanta has issues and I'm guessing its the sheer numbers of Nigerians that pass through that POE that caused that. I had everything you had when we came back in Jan via LAX. Even more, Peak Milk, Maggi Chicken, Indomie Chicken, Tubers of yam, ungrinded crayfish and even dried herbs that's not soaked at all. We got it in, no issues.

But if a first timer isn't sure or the POE is strict, listen to imperiouxx and err on the side of caution. Those things can be gotten here so leave them in Naija.

JFK POE too is pretty lax
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by aadeyi: 10:44pm On Mar 21, 2016
MsNas:

Like someone said, Atlanta has issues and I'm guessing its the sheer numbers of Nigerians that pass through that POE that caused that. I had everything you had when we came back in Jan via LAX. Even more, Peak Milk, Maggi Chicken, Indomie Chicken, Tubers of yam, ungrinded crayfish and even dried herbs that's not soaked at all. We got it in, no issues.

But if a first timer isn't sure or the POE is strict, listen to imperiouxx and err on the side of caution. Those things can be gotten here so leave them in Naija.

Word!!!!
As a first timer just save yourself the stress and fear of the unknown. I remember when I was to enter through IAH in houston TX, the only food I had on me was Garri and alot of Agbo Jedi and Opa Eyin. When I was asked what food I had with me, I told them garri and herb, nobody was even willing to check my bag. They almost push me away to go go lol. There is no naija food that am not getting here down to Pap (Akamu) and so on.

I remember I had a family friend came for holiday last December and I was to pick them from the airport. They came with all kinds of food, their chicken indomie and Maggi was trashed and when the kids saw me, they almost burst into tears because of noodles, I had to drive them from the airport to an African store to get them Indomie before they were happy again.

Bottom Point is just save yourself the stress and bring only what's necessary and not what you want/think u might need. God gat your back in Obamaland so food is not a problem.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 10:58pm On Mar 21, 2016
dickoflife:
Broda walspring, oga imperiouxxx, and awon aunti in di house. Biko tell me, does a conversion from an Msc programme to a community college nursing programme still mean you are in status as a student? Iyen number one. Now number 2 if I get my I-20 now biko explain the 120 day rule to me.

As long as you attend school you are still in status

As for the 120 days rule, If you are to resume school by September 30, the count backward to 120 days which is July 3rd. You can only apply and go for visa interview as from the 3rd of July
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 11:01pm On Mar 21, 2016
rogerdavid:

Great question.
Where did this 120-day rule come from? I learnt some students are even given visa 8 months prior to their program start date.
Can anyone shed more light on this, because what the VOs clearly say is that one cannot enter the US 30 days or more earlier than the expected date of resumption.

As for my country which I can speak for, no students were given visa 8 months prior to their program unless those student got their visa before and deferred before coming to the US

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 11:07pm On Mar 21, 2016
sirchris4u:
Please as an under graduate can I apply for USA student visa and I really all the requirements that are needed. And secondly is there any particular amount one must have before applying for visa.

Yes you must have money to pay for app fee, evaluation fee if required, visa fee, sevis and if possible courier fee in the school ask you to Pay it before sending your admission packet

After you have you visa you should also have money for flight ticket, tuition fee, accommodation fee and pocket money..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 11:08pm On Mar 21, 2016
dickoflife:
Imperiuoxx tell me please I obtained the bank statement for my i-20 today and will upload it to the school by thursday at the latest.. If my i-20 arrives next month and I schedule an interview for may can I still use the same bank statement considering it will be about 2 months old?

Yes you can
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by gpercuxionz(m): 11:29pm On Mar 21, 2016
hello ause... how much do I need to apply for student visa fee from d scratch... and how do I go about it from d beginning. cz I be jjc.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 11:34pm On Mar 21, 2016
Thanks man.. I know just wanted to chat with you guys here...
Walspring:

As long as you attend school you are still in status

As for the 120 days rule, If you are to resume school by September 30, the count backward to 120 days which is July 3rd. You can only apply and go for visa interview as from the 3rd of July
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Anyiogwu: 11:37pm On Mar 21, 2016
Anyiogwu:

Bro, please I have one more questn, my family that filed for me actually live in columbia and I dnt really want to stay there, can you advise a newbie like me to relocate to New york and start life there?

I plan to enroll for CNA program first, I heard 2weeks course is available, and while working as a CNA, I can then enroll for the courses in community college like you advised me.

Can I actually pay my rents and bills from the CNA and is there something like 2 weeks CNA course for real and are there jobs for them ?

@imperiouxx, please I still need your guidelines

@imperiouxx, please I still need your guideline
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 11:38pm On Mar 21, 2016
Oga sir dhl just sent me a mail now that I have a parcel from my school, which I think is my I-20. Case in point is that I applied for them to send the stuff to me, the student advisor said the statement I sent had a balance of 9 million and was too small. I suddenly am surprised at the turn around in decision and issuing of the said document.
Walspring:

As for my country which I can speak for, no students were given visa 8 months prior to their program unless those student got their visa before and deferred before coming to the US
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Professor554: 12:23am On Mar 22, 2016
Hello, please i have a question and i hope you guys can help me. Please what are my chances of getting an F1 visa with a community college i-20?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by godG: 4:39am On Mar 22, 2016
Walspring:

Egbon, no fes o, which country be that? Tell me wetin I wan hear, biko.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by godG: 4:50am On Mar 22, 2016
MsNas:

$100 is even too much sef (at least for me. Lol). I'm assuming you have Nigerian food stashed up in your house, they make your grocery shopping less expensive and this is why I always tell anybody I know coming from Nigeria to bring lots and lots of food. Infact, the only thing I ask from my mom is to send me Nigerian food as I am a picky eater and barely eat American. Most of the time, I don't spend up to a $100 on groceries a month when I'm in Arkansas cos its only me and I have almost everything I need for food. All I get is cereal, veggies (spinach and those peas and stuff), chicken or beef, and some other stuff.

I will suggest you buy those things at Walmart or Kroger (if you have those around), and buy them in bulk, you get, more value for your money that way. Don't go to places like Vons or Safeway, things are more expensive. If y'all have those Mexican grocery stores around, they're your surest bet. Groceries are cheaper there and the food is somewhat similar to African food. I spend less than $100 shopping for a whole month at those stores and gosh, everywhere will be filled by the time you're done shopping with $80

Best of all, know the stores that have the cheapest prices on different items so that you can clock in some awesome savings. Although I need to warn you that it's a pain shopping for groceries at different stores without a car but I tell you its worth it. Like sometimes, Vons sell red bell peppers for 3 piece a dollar, while walmart has their's for $1.58 a piece, but I also won't buy water from Vons cos a pack of 24 Aquafina costs almost $8 while a 32 pack of the same brand costs less than $5 at walmart. See how much you can save by buying bell pepper from Vons and water from Walmart. cheesy cheesy It can seem inconsequential but if you're an heavy shopper or eater, you will actually save quite a few bucks. By the time you've done grocery shopping for three or four months, you'll know which stores have the best deals on which item and know how to plan your shopping. Goodluck grin

Folks, this timeless piece from my sure sister, MsNas, will come in handy. You know, when one is talking abaot food, it is not kaind ov a jokin sturvs. **In Falz's voice.**

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by godG: 4:58am On Mar 22, 2016
Professor554:
Hello, please i have a question and i hope you guys can help me. Please what are my chances of getting an F1 visa with a community college i-20?

Professor sir, o maa le die o (e go hard small). But not impossible. There is ≤ 1 person in every part of this thread that got an F1 with an I-20 from a community college. Give
it a shot, if you think you really want this. Best wishes.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by godG: 5:03am On Mar 22, 2016
gpercuxionz:
hello ause... how much do I need to apply for student visa fee from d scratch... and how do I go about it from d beginning. cz I be jjc.

Start reading part 7 of this thread from page 1. Finish that and continue playing along in part 8. After these, you go become a black-belt guru.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by calfavour(f): 7:15am On Mar 22, 2016
dickoflife. you will have to tell me your school start date for me to do the math.
dickoflife:
Kuku tell me d date na.. Why u say make I dey count? I no sabi maths o....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by monsieur2016(m): 7:35am On Mar 22, 2016
Friends...I have my I20. Resumption date is August. Can I still go ahead and pay the SEVIS now and then apply for visa later? (considering the 120days rule)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by don4ye: 7:52am On Mar 22, 2016
My pple, since I did not have enough cash (2.1m) naira. Can I apply to community school and ask Bridgeport to transfer my credit.. My fear is I don't want to run out of status.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Jahbless82: 8:11am On Mar 22, 2016
I send you mail...We need to talk

expertman:

Not at all bro. I have helped about 5 of my friends with scholarship into murray state uni even without filling any scholarship form .

You are entitled to 6k dollars just for applying alone.

Check it out !
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 8:15am On Mar 22, 2016
Madam am sorry but I-20 will be available on wednesday I will then tell you the date...
calfavour:
dickoflife. you will have to tell me your school start date for me to do the math.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by expertman(m): 9:16am On Mar 22, 2016
Jahbless82:
I send you mail...We need to talk

Didn't got ur mail bro !
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 9:29am On Mar 22, 2016
monsieur2016:
Friends...I have my I20. Resumption date is August. Can I still go ahead and pay the SEVIS now and then apply for visa later? (considering the 120days rule)

Yes and you are good to go
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 9:30am On Mar 22, 2016
Professor554:

It's very slim and the percentage is 0.0000001%
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 9:31am On Mar 22, 2016
godG:

Egbon, no fes o, which country be that? Tell me wetin I wan hear, biko.

Our great Green White Green Nigeria gringringrin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by don4ye: 10:07am On Mar 22, 2016
Walspring:

It's very slim and the percentage is 0.0000001%

Can someone transfer to community college later? From Uni to community college cos of cash.. So as to stay in status.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by worry359(m): 10:11am On Mar 22, 2016
don4ye:

Can someone transfer to community college later? From Uni to community college cos of cash.. So as to stay in status.

Why do you not look at a better but affordable school in somewhere like Cyprus?
This will be a better employment prospect than a rubbish community college in Obamaland (soon to be Mr Trump land.)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 22, 2016
hi guys, please who knows an affordable school or center for SAT training in Lagos or its surrounding States?
cc walspring

(1) (2) (3) ... (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.