Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,815 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (301) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (784698 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (298) (299) (300) (301) (302) (303) (304) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bigfrancis21: 5:07am On Mar 28, 2016
dramaka:

Those guys are annoying. This was back in 2014 and when I sent them a mail even with screen shots, they were clueless. Wasted money sending transcripts et al. They must have just updated their website after that experience.

It is pitiable what experiences well-meaning Nigerians in Nigeria have to go through regarding online payments as a result of the acts of unscrupulous ones.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bigfrancis21: 5:18am On Mar 28, 2016
femi321:
boss sorry to bother you,you have a PM

Responded.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 6:51am On Mar 28, 2016
bigfrancis21:

It is pitiable what experiences well-meaning Nigerians in Nigeria have to go through regarding online payments as a result of the acts of unscrupulous ones.

This really upsets me. And it's a worrying trend. Everywhere, Nigerians are blacklisted or given more scrutiny. What the heck is the problem!? Why do some of us love short cuts so much?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Richmond996: 7:44am On Mar 28, 2016
slimmy2005:
when I worked did under some staffing agency, the pay was $13/hr. So why would I have a GC and still earn same

Sorry to quote you, but this GC thingy sef, what is so special about it. Why is everyone going gaga about it, am just asking cause that's ur endpoint in every advice u dish out here. I pray you get it ooo, so I can see that billions of dollars you will make and send home. this american dream sef sad

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Kassidy4luv(m): 7:48am On Mar 28, 2016
dramaka:

Alright, that's a lovely write up. I like the part about the big areas to focus on. My relatives in the U.S. have said i'll be silly to spend $40k on a course outside those three areas. I'm actually seeking to change career direction to one of those three areas you mentioned. And thank God, these schools make it easy unlike even here in Nigeria.
I don't mind going to a small school if the course is just right!

Lols..... My civil Engr.
I have Interest in Geotechnical Engineering. I pray I get some form of funding/ GA/TA .
Stick to Civil Engr bro.
Which option are U going for!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 7:52am On Mar 28, 2016
Hello house,first time on the travel section and am new to all these,i don't even know the first step its involves wen it comes to travelling but i have a new Nigeria e passport!
I want to ask what are the possible ways a graduate can seek visa into USA am not skilled in any profession just a BSc(Ed) holder in computer science
what are the procedures for getting a masters degree programme at us universities,
Or ways to seek greener pastures
Please help explain pls all help and comments would be appreciated
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by worry359(m): 9:59am On Mar 28, 2016
sodiksan:
Hello house,first time on the travel section and am new to all these,i don't even know the first step its involves wen it comes to travelling but i have a new Nigeria e passport!
I want to ask what are the possible ways a graduate can seek visa into USA am not skilled in any profession just a BSc(Ed) holder in computer science
what are the procedures for getting a masters degree programme at us universities,
Or ways to seek greener pastures
Please help explain pls all help and comments would be appreciated

If you read back in this section you will find much information already.
To study in US,
get funds ready,
apply to universities for a place,
apply for student visa.

Use Google to find universities.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 10:24am On Mar 28, 2016
For the newbies
Start reading from part 7 page by page.
You'd get the whole gist.
When I was new here, I started from part 1 and I must tell you they really helped.
Take out time, it won't do you any harm
#justsaying

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 12:32pm On Mar 28, 2016
Richmond996:

Sorry to quote you, but this GC thingy sef, what is so special about it. Why is everyone going gaga about it, am just asking cause that's ur endpoint in every advice u dish out here. I pray you get it ooo, so I can see that billions of dollars you will make and send home. this american dream sef sad
I don't get your point?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by purplesummer(f): 12:35pm On Mar 28, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Sorry, I'm just responding now. You can also email professors with similar research areas as yours directly indicating interest in joining him/her as part of their research team i.e. as a research assistant.

Another possibility is landing a GA after you land in the US and just before school starts.

You could also get administrative (non-academic) GA positions outside your department. There is often a central GA posting website for open GA vacancies though many GAs are filled by word of mouth and such vacancies never get posted online - this is where you would need to be present in the US to get something like this. Basically, it entails going from office to office and it works. Some people I know have gotten their GAs this way after arriving the US and before school starts.
Thanks a lot bigfrancis. I've already contacted a professor in that regard. Says I should let him know before or after I get to the US.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 1:34pm On Mar 28, 2016
paulbets:

Brotherly, i believe you are batch A. So the nysc certificate will definitely be out before next fall term begins. POP is just 18 more days from today. Tarry on a little while longer, it will be all worth it. Goodluck boss
Thanks Paul. Good luck to you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 1:35pm On Mar 28, 2016
bigfrancis21:

You have to work with your corpers liaison person (not sure exactly what it is called again) and work out something with him/her to cover you for the remaining period that you would be gone. You may have to give up all your monthly allowances or part of it as this involves also covering you at your CDS.
Daalu nwanne

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by CBNL2014: 3:08pm On Mar 28, 2016
Please help. What are the chances of getting US F1 visa for MBA without GRE and Toefl? Got admitted to 3 universities in US. Did Electrical Engineering at Undergraduate level in Nigerian University and MSc in Engineering course too in UK. I have been going to UK and coming back. I have about 6 Years of work experience and i am at mid level of my career. i am also a shareholder in the company. I am a genuine non-immigrant whose intention is for study only.

pls help.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Anyiogwu: 3:23pm On Mar 28, 2016
cutemorgan:

Although writing the Toefl/Ielts gives you a lot of options, there are still schools that waive the Toefl for Nigerians. All you need to do is peruse their website for info you require and mail grad coordinators if you need clarification. (I'm no guru sha oo, just say make I help small ni). Have you written the gre already?

I called University of South Carolina and they said they wave it for Nigerians
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by thezionite: 3:45pm On Mar 28, 2016
@paulbets @nobody

Please I'm just in the process of applying for my transcript from Unilag to be sent to WES. Please I need your help with ur contact person. I just recently concluded Masters in information Technology and our certificates should be out be next month.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 4:50pm On Mar 28, 2016
dramaka:

3.73/4.0 by WES

Nice CGPA. You would most likely get a fellowship from one of the schools I intend to apply to. What is your Naija CGPA?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by youngmoney416: 5:03pm On Mar 28, 2016
slimmy2005:
what happens after 1st year?
my income from blogging will take care of it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by paulbets: 5:09pm On Mar 28, 2016
thezionite:
@paulbets @nobody

Please I'm just in the process of applying for my transcript from Unilag to be sent to WES. Please I need your help with ur contact person. I just recently concluded Masters in information Technology and our certificates should be out be next month.
You will need the certificate. I will suggest you get it first
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Tods(f): 5:17pm On Mar 28, 2016
Hello everyone, I just joined nairaland today and find it very interesting. Does anyone know about Lamar university, Texas and university of Texas at Arlington? How would you rate these schools?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 5:18pm On Mar 28, 2016
Hello, I would like to study mathematics in graduate school,please what is the possibility of gaining admission considering I am studying computer science in school?
I also noticed most schools don't give Masters in mathematics only phd or masters on -the -way to phd that's why I am bothered.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Tods(f): 5:41pm On Mar 28, 2016
That's so not true. I have 2 admissions for masters in mathematics for fall 2016 semester. I don't think there is any school that forces you to go straight for PhD in mathematics, only that there are some schools that give the option of going for masters ( bs to ms) or going straight for PhD (bs to PhD) It depends on what you choose.yours chances of gaining admission is not a problem so far u have the appropriate GRE scores the school seeks.computer science is very related to mathematics. So don't sweat it.
ebim:
Hello, I would like to study mathematics in graduate school,please what is the possibility of gaining admission considering I am studying computer science in school?
I also noticed most schools don't give Masters in mathematics only phd or masters on -the -way to phd that's why I am bothered.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Tods(f): 5:55pm On Mar 28, 2016
Try southern Utah university
michael1385:
pls i need guru in the house to help me answer my question...Is there any universities in US that accept only GRE and waive toefl or ielts for Nigerian students?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 5:57pm On Mar 28, 2016
Tods:
That's so not true. I have 2 admissions for masters in mathematics for fall 2016 semester. I don't think there is any school that forces you to go straight for PhD in mathematics, only that there are some schools that give the option of going for masters ( bs to ms) or going straight for PhD (bs to PhD) It depends on what you choose.yours chances of gaining admission is not a problem so far u have the appropriate GRE scores the school seeks.computer science is very related to mathematics. So don't sweat it.

Some schools offer only BS to PhD degrees for some disciplines. That is, they don't offer / admit for masters. Tho you might be awarded an MS if you drop out of the PhD.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by thezionite: 5:59pm On Mar 28, 2016
Thanks, the certificates will be out next month.
paulbets:

You will need the certificate. I will suggest you get it first
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Tods(f): 6:00pm On Mar 28, 2016
KELVIN086:

Sorry to ask sir , but even if one gets a GA position in school by what percentage would that reduce his tuition fee , I'm not asking for exact figures just estimates.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cutemorgan(m): 6:10pm On Mar 28, 2016
Anyiogwu:

I called University of South Carolina and they said they wave it for Nigerians
Exactly boss... A lot of them waive toefl for Nigerian applicants but we might not really know about it if we don't make enquiries.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 6:15pm On Mar 28, 2016
cutemorgan:

Exactly boss... A lot of them waive toefl for Nigerian applicants but we might not really know about it if we don't make enquiries.

I don't think applicants should be too focused on waivers. For example, if u scored 120/120 in your toefl, why on earth would anyone still request a waiver? It's an opportunity to stand out.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Tods(f): 6:32pm On Mar 28, 2016
Yea "Some", but there are many others that dont.
Fortissimo:

Some schools offer only BS to PhD degrees for some disciplines. That is, they don't offer / admit for masters. Tho you might be awarded an MS if you drop out of the PhD.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cutemorgan(m): 6:40pm On Mar 28, 2016
Fortissimo:

I don't think applicants should be too focused on waivers. For example, if u scored 120/120 in your toefl, why on earth would anyone still request a waiver? It's an opportunity to stand out.
Having a great toefl score will definitely make applications stand out. As I did mentioned in one of my earlier posts, it even gives applicant more options. I answered the question based on what was asked. I wasn't trying to undermine the great effect an excellent toefl score can have on the application packet boss mi.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 6:41pm On Mar 28, 2016
Tods:
Yea "Some", but there are many others that dont.

Yeah, definitely.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 6:44pm On Mar 28, 2016
cutemorgan:

Having a great toefl score will definitely make applications stand out. As I did mentioned in one of my earlier posts, it even gives applicant more options. I answered the question based on what was asked. I wasn't trying to undermine the great effect an excellent toefl score can have on the application packet boss mi.

Ah my chief. I was just saying for the benefit of those silent readers. I agree with you. You na bigger boss. Na una dey pave the way for our phd. I respect you guys that are doing PhD straight from BS.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cutemorgan(m): 6:52pm On Mar 28, 2016
Fortissimo:

Ah my chief. I was just saying for the benefit of those silent readers. I agree with you. You na bigger boss. Na una dey pave the way for our phd. I respect you guys that are doing PhD straight from BS.
I perfectly understand oga mi, thanks for pointing that out. Me no be bigger boss ooo.. I be confirm learner.

(1) (2) (3) ... (298) (299) (300) (301) (302) (303) (304) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.