Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

Travelling To Canada Part 9 - Travel (312) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 9 (1040300 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Eruditor: 9:17pm On Feb 20, 2016
Huzzie:

Honestly, I was referring to everyone about the PGD vs Masters brouhaha not Mizbaby, I usually don't take sides in argument to allow me see reason in participants view. I have been on this forum for a long time and it is annoying to see the same argument regenerate from time to time. e.g. Does Canada share database with US, can the Embassy access the balance in ones account, PGD vs Masters etc.
I come here from time to time because this forum attracts me like insect to light. Usually, I work backstage through PMs and I have met some Nairalanders one on one here in Canada which excite me.
Anyways, we need more body to absorb this cold, make una do quick come abeg.
Cheers.

On the same boat man. I have nothing to or against any of the degrees. Just recently started researching about Canada as a contigency plan. Ofcourse the comparative advantage both degrees have over the other popped up in my research so I thought to chip in what I had understood and also learn from others. I didnt know there was a fasttrack PNP people with 1 year masters could use to gain PR until today if I hadn't read it here and even checked some of your posts before replying this one.

Just as you said, some courses are better understood via college programs because of how streamlined and hands-on they are, whilst some other courses are best done in Universities e.g Law. One just needs to know what aids one's career plans and may have better job prospects both within and without the country.

What I found risible was the fact that someone tried to suggest anyone who opted for advanced Diploma programs was doing so because of their lower first degree which could be the case, but not always.

I am an engineer with a very good first degree but the time I applied to Total and ExxonMobil for their Operator positions, they never shortlisted me because the position required someone more technically skilled- an HND holder to be precise. Now I may decide to head to Canada to get an advanced Diploma just to better my chances of breaking into the IOCs via 2 means (Operator or Trainee engineer) and I won't be amiss.

My advice is that every decision just has to be well-analysed because the grass is greener where you water it and not necessarily on the otherside.

Cheers.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by charles316: 9:51pm On Feb 20, 2016
Hi guys,I've got a serious issue. I was denied visa last year and the VO said he wasn't sure I had enough money to  pay my tuition and take care of myself without working in Canada. So I thought of handling that issue this way;

My tuition is can$14400
Estimated expenses during the 9 months course is can$7500
Others            $2000
Total in naira is 3.5m.

I have just 3.0m naira though I have a sponsor who has more than 23m in his account. I don't know if the VO will have a problem with a guy of 30+ years having a sponsor. 

My wahala is .....

I have even paid my school fees from this 3m so the money in my account has greatly diminished. Do I print my account and exclude the part where my school fees was withdrawn? That way,I can claim that I have paid my school fees and still have 3m to take care of myself. Will the VO be keen to know from whose account the school fees was paid?

Or do I come out clean and state that the remaining 500k naira will be taken care of by my sponsor who is my cousin? Will the VO  believe that?

Make una help a çonfused brother.

hayqinsbFX
Thesoj
Etc
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by E383: 10:09pm On Feb 20, 2016
Eruditor:

Please, don't mention. grin

Haha! That is a first.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Huzzie: 10:36pm On Feb 20, 2016
Eruditor:

On the same boat man. I have nothing to or against any of the degrees. Just recently started researching about Canada as a contigency plan. Ofcourse the comparative advantage both degrees have over the other popped up in my research so I thought to chip in what I had understood and also learn from others. I didnt know there was a fasttrack PNP people with 1 year masters could use to gain PR until today if I hadn't read it here and even checked some of your posts before replying this one.

Just as you said, some courses are better understood via college programs because of how streamlined and hands-on they are, whilst some other courses are best done in Universities e.g Law. One just needs to know what aids one's career plans and may have better job prospects both within and without the country.

What I found risible was the fact that someone tried to suggest anyone who opted for advanced Diploma programs was doing so because of their lower first degree which could be the case, but not always.

I am an engineer with a very good first degree but the time I applied to Total and ExxonMobil for their Operator positions, they never shortlisted me because the position required someone more technically skilled- an HND holder to be precise. Now I may decide to head to Canada to get an advanced Diploma just to better my chances of breaking into the IOCs via 2 means (Operator or Trainee engineer) and I won't be amiss.

My advice is that every decision just has to be well-analysed because the grass is greener where you water it and not necessarily on the otherside.

Cheers.
Engineering is one of those courses that people go to colleges to gain hands on knowledge. Where I'm doing my Coop, one of the bosses graduated from my school (Brock uni) and went to Niagara college for a diploma in same course. Likewise, most of the savvy in the engineering department are products of Niagara college.

I like your punchline from the bolded.

Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by alexa007: 10:40pm On Feb 20, 2016
dotmons:
Hey guys.. what's up. Currently on winter break at UREGINA, Saskatchewan. Hope you all good, just dropping by 2 say hi 2 u all and wish all TVR hopeful success in dere application. If ani1 need info as per UofR, I can be of help. I got same help Frm dis forum, and would be willing 2 advice back as a way of giving back 2 the forum. Safe guys..

Dotmons..
Is job you can work and pay school fees
And when do they ask for school fees
Changing to nursing is it easy
How much for a too in Regina
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by favour0011: 10:47pm On Feb 20, 2016
This is really misleading. Don't even know what to say to you. Let's rest this case pls
Eruditor:

I am surprised the OGs of the house haven't corrected you.

1. On average University education is far more expensive than college education. U of R and MUN may only appear cheaper for courses whose terms last for 1 year. Other than that colleges are way cheaper.

2. Studying masters is not an easier way to get PR at all. The reason is simple: you have less reasons and time to stay in the country to qualify for that and even if you did, most of the PR sponsored programmes favor those who have reason to stay longer in the country which masters doesn't afford (atleast not more than colleges).

3. College education gives you a chance to get a 3-year work permit. No masters programme warrants the Canadian embassy to give anyone more than the said 1 or 2 years. Now I'm not saying those who undertook their masters in Canada were forced to leave immediately but on average college students stayed longer.

Perhaps some of my facts may not be set-in-stone. But that's the general consensus based on even quotes from here and my personal research.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Bandeco(m): 10:48pm On Feb 20, 2016
charles316:
Hi guys,I've got a serious issue. I was denied visa last year and the VO said he wasn't sure I had enough money to  pay my tuition and take care of myself without working in Canada. So I thought of handling that issue this way;

My tuition is can$14400
Estimated expenses during the 9 months course is can$7500
Others            $2000
Total in naira is 3.5m.

I have just 3.0m naira though I have a sponsor who has more than 23m in his account. I don't know if the VO will have a problem with a guy of 30+ years having a sponsor. 

My wahala is .....

I have even paid my school fees from this 3m so the money in my account has greatly diminished. Do I print my account and exclude the part where my school fees was withdrawn? That way,I can claim that I have paid my school fees and still have 3m to take care of myself. Will the VO be keen to know from whose account the school fees was paid?

Or do I come out clean and state that the remaining 500k naira will be taken care of by my sponsor who is my cousin? Will the VO  believe that?

Make una help a çonfused brother.

hayqinsbFX
Thesoj
Etc
Is it not better for the sponsor to tender his SOA with an affidavit and letter saying he is giving you a study grant of 500k to make up for ur shortfall? The lump sum of 500k should reflect on ur account. The said letter from the sponsor will explain to the Vo why he is doing so for you. You also need to convince the VO of the veracity of the relationship you have with this cousin by way of tendering old pictures of u both (if any). # My thoughts tho
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Mizbaby(f): 10:50pm On Feb 20, 2016
Eruditor:

Yes Mizbaby, I am (the days have been hotter won't you say?). If my plan in Nigeria clicks, I'd be able to send 2 of my mistresses to Canada. I like women like that grin

Women differ. First find something tangible to do in Nigeria....like say; get a job ( I could help you in that area).
So that you will not have to join the bandwagon of advanced diploma candidates looking for anyway to dash out of Nigeria.
I love my country very much and I stated it in my SOP, I have a good career here and I have served my country well both home and abroad ( I attached visas to prove this in my SOP). What I want is to add to my cv. I'm not a rat fleeing a sinking ship. grin
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by rsavvy: 10:59pm On Feb 20, 2016
@Huzzie and @Eruditor
I couldn't but to say that I was intrigued by your posts, like Huzzie said the chat is filled with repeated arguments and questions which is the reason people have moved on...this is not a bad thing though as they are quickly replaced
You both have very valid points infact excellent points
I feel Nigerians just tend to have a bias of what title a qualification will add to them MSc, PhD etc without properly analyzing what they want their career paths to be
I have been working here for almost a year in company dealing with lighting and energy I will tell you that most of my bosses graduated in Social Sciences not even from universities (from colleges) ...I think its a matter of what the individual truly wants
Usually people just play safe and not ask themselves the important questions instead follow the Masters bandwagon which MAY not have been the best choice for them...
NB ... Your opinion is yours and mine is mine ...but we all learn from one another

Huzzie:

Engineering is one of those courses that people go to colleges to gain hands on knowledge. Where I'm doing my Coop, one of the bosses graduated from my school (Brock uni) and went to Niagara college for a diploma in same course. Likewise, most of the savvy in the engineering department are products of Niagara college.

Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nobody: 11:05pm On Feb 20, 2016
Huzzie, Eruditor What of a business related course or a social science course like economics? Would you advise a college or a university, for an undergraduate?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Eruditor: 11:10pm On Feb 20, 2016
favour0011:
This is really misleading. Don't even know what to say to you. Let's rest this case pls

You are the guy that opted for a PGC last year and was rejected then switched to Western Ontario and hopes to get it this time? I can understand your fixation now on the masters.

Anyways, few OGs have shown me what and what were wrong in the post. Job prospects wasn't one of them grin
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nobody: 11:12pm On Feb 20, 2016
Rsavvy What were their qualifications diploma or advanced diploma?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Huzzie: 11:17pm On Feb 20, 2016
Vorpal:
Huzzie, Eruditor
What of a business related course or a social science course like economics?
Would you advise a college or a university, for an undergraduate?
I'm an Accountant and from what I have seen people transfer from college to my department. They usually start from the 2nd or 3rd year depending on the total transferable credit, and the brilliant ones struggle with the first semester because of the intensity involved. So that's my experience about accounting in my school, this may not be applicable else where because my school has the best accounting( or probably second best behind waterloo) prog. In Ontario.
Hope that was helpful.

Cheers kiss
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by charles316: 11:18pm On Feb 20, 2016
rsavvy:
@Huzzie and @Eruditor
I couldn't but to say that I was intrigued by your posts, like Huzzie said the chat is filled with repeated arguments and questions which is the reason people have moved on...this is not a bad thing though as they are quickly replaced
You both have very valid points infact excellent points
I feel Nigerians just tend to have a bias of what title a qualification will add to them MSc, PhD etc without properly analyzing what they want their career paths to be
I have been working here for almost a year in company dealing with lighting and energy I will tell you that most of my bosses graduated in Social Sciences not even from universities (from colleges) ...I think its a matter of what the individual truly wants
Usually people just play safe and not ask themselves the important questions instead follow the Masters bandwagon which MAY not have been the best choice for them...
NB ... Your opinion is yours and mine is mine ...but we all learn from one another

You are right. I think people need to research where their educational qualifications will lead them to. Research? Work related? Etc. Canada isn't like Nigerian where the bsc holders do technical part of engineering instead of research etc. In Nigeria, polytechnics which produce technicians and technologists are seen as mediocre institutions.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Eruditor: 11:22pm On Feb 20, 2016
Mizbaby:

Women differ. First find something tangible to do in Nigeria....like say; get a job ( I could help you in that area).
So that you will not have to join the bandwagon of advanced diploma candidates looking for anyway to dash out of Nigeria.
I love my country very much and I stated it in my SOP, I have a good career here and I have served my country well both home and abroad ( I attached visas to prove this in my SOP). What I want is to add to my cv. I'm not a rat fleeing a sinking ship. grin

You are the one with +1M in your bank account who vacillates between decisions. The jobs I consider as good enough will have me earning your bank statement each month. If you could give me such a job, you won't be rambling between a PGD and the Masters- you'd even be the girl of my dreams.

I can sense how patriotic you are- let's calculate it, 2 years for Masters, 3 years for Ph.D and then you'd come back to Nigeria to sell drugs for HealthPlus and in a few years run a couple failed gubernatorial bids like Jimi Agbaje. grin

You are the ultimate mentor with a stellar CV (resumé) in the making. wink

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by acolad(m): 11:24pm On Feb 20, 2016
Hi room .. I have been putting questions out there now and still no response.. Pls I will like anybody to respond to this.. I have an older cousin working at a pharmaceutical company in the USA..she has agreed to sponsor my schooling in Canada..pls is this possible.. Can she act as a sponsor .. Also she s married and has a permanent residence there.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Eruditor: 11:24pm On Feb 20, 2016
Huzzie:

Cheers

Mizbaby, take a look at Huzzie's boss' profile. He was fleeing a sinking ship aye?

Thanks Huzzie for this.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nobody: 11:26pm On Feb 20, 2016
Huzzie:

I'm an Accountant and from what I have seen people transfer from college to my department. They usually start from the 2nd or 3rd year depending on the total transferable credit, and the brilliant ones struggle with the first semester because of the intensity involved. So that's my experience about accounting in my school, this may not be applicable else where because my school has the best accounting( or probably second best behind waterloo) prog. In Ontario.
Hope that was helpful.

Cheers kiss
I suppose your school is a university?
And if you don't mind, what school is this?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Huzzie: 11:29pm On Feb 20, 2016
Vorpal:

I suppose your school is a university?
And if you don't mind, what school is this?
Brock University
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nobody: 11:38pm On Feb 20, 2016
Huzzie:

Brock University

Thank you.
I asked cause I wanted something that would be thorough in preparing one for strictly work related fields.
By your analysis, it seems to depend on the school.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Mizbaby(f): 11:44pm On Feb 20, 2016
Eruditor:

You are the one with +1M in your bank account who vacillates between decisions. The jobs I consider as good enough will have me earning your bank statement each month. If you could give me such a job, you won't be rambling between a PGD and the Masters- you'd even be the girl of my dreams.

I can sense how patriotic you are- let's calculate it, 2 years for Masters, 3 years for Ph.D and then you'd come back to Nigeria to sell drugs for HealthPlus and in a few years run a couple failed gubernatorial bids like Jimi Agbaje. grin

I don't think you have read through my previous posts well. Pls go back and read thoroughly.
From what you write I can see why getting an admission would be a problem for someone like you. I know my career path, you are the one who wants to get out out of this country because he believes there is a gold mine in Canada.
You don't even have 1m neither do you have any assets. You cannot even find a sponsor because you are so damn unfortunate you are surrounded by people just like you.
I'm sure you have been on this thread for years and applied for trv countless times.
You won't even tell yourself the truth so how can you succeed in life.
Pls read through my previous posts very well.
We are not on the same boat.
Go and arrange your life before you turn guru here.

Talking about Jimi Agbaje as if you will reject an offer to be his gateman. Has anybody in your family contested for councilorship talkless of governor.

You are active in all the job vacancy threads and you don't know it's time to hit the prayer house.

Be here deceiving yourself not me.

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by favour0011: 11:52pm On Feb 20, 2016
Hey bro... No need throwing shade. No one is an island of knowledge ... We learn new things everyday just like you have learnt some new stuff today. Let's move on and keep the thread peaceful. We should rather divert this energy into answering questions from newbies.. Have seen a couple today. Peace!!
Eruditor:

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Eruditor: 12:05am On Feb 21, 2016
Vorpal:
Huzzie, Eruditor
What of a business related course or a social science course like economics?
Would you advise a college or a university, for an undergraduate?

Sorry man, I don't know much about this line of schooling. I will ask a few people I trust and get back to you soonest.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Eruditor: 12:05am On Feb 21, 2016
favour0011:
Hey bro... No need throwing shade. No one is an island of knowledge ... We learn new things everyday just like you have learnt some new stuff today. Let's move on and keep the thread peaceful. We should rather divert this energy into answering questions from newbies.. Have seen a couple today. Peace!!

Good energy about you. No issues man. Cheers.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by mikel88: 12:08am On Feb 21, 2016
@mizbaby@eruditor... enough of all these yabbies and let us focus on what this thread is created for. Abeg
E Don do una oo.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Eruditor: 12:23am On Feb 21, 2016
Mizbaby:

I don't think you have read through my previous posts well. Pls go back and read thoroughly.
From what you write I can see why getting an admission would be a problem for someone like you. I know my career path, you are the one who wants to get out out of this country because he believes there is a gold mine in Canada.
You don't even have 1m neither do you have any assets. You cannot even find a sponsor because you are so damn unfortunate you are surrounded by people just like you.
I'm sure you have been on this THREAD FOR YEARS and applied for trv countless times.
You won't even tell yourself the truth so how can you succeed in life.
Pls read through my previous posts very well.
We are not on the same boat.
Go and arrange your life before you turn guru here.

Talking about Jimi Agbaje as if you will reject an offer to be his gateman. Has anybody in your family contested for councilorship talkless of governor.

You are active in all the job vacancy threads and you don't know it's time to hit the prayer house.

Be here deceiving yourself not me.

Comic relief grin

I didn't know the shades I threw pained you like that o.

If Jimi Agbaje's gateman earns more than your bank statement per month, please let me know so I can apply ASAP. Who knows, in the next 20 years I would have way more than 25+M in my account and a beautiful daughter that won't be suffering from Bi-Polar disorder. grin

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Mizbaby(f): 12:51am On Feb 21, 2016
Eruditor:

Comic relief grin

I didn't know the shades I threw pained you like that o.

If Jimi Agbaje's gateman earns more than your bank statement per month, please let me know so I can apply ASAP. Who knows, in the next 20 years I would have way more than 25+M in my account and a beautiful daughter that won't be suffering from Bi-Polar disorder. grin

You are severely delusional. You have a serious problem differentiating between reality and fantasy.
I pity the person who has to feed and house you while you give advice to people about things you know nothing about.
Anybody that takes your ignorant advice has just lost his way.

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by NaD720: 2:21am On Feb 21, 2016
E383:

And Eruditor types in pidgin. shocked

Funny you!!! Hahaha

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by thesoj: 4:08am On Feb 21, 2016
Come on guys/gals, let's be civilized. Also, so much misinformation spewed on the MSc vs PGD debate.

An MSc has more global weight than a PGD, but this doesn't mean that it is appropriate for every individual candidate. Candidates with aspirations in certain areas/industries may find that a PGD is more practical and valuable, while other candidates that want long-term flexibility in their field(s) of interest would find that an MSc is a better option for various reasons.

Anyhow, no need to get tense and testy with each other over a supposedly rational debate.

12 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by swagifted(m): 5:55am On Feb 21, 2016
Any mohawk student here?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nobody: 6:42am On Feb 21, 2016
Eruditor:

Sorry man, I don't much about this line of schooling. I will ask a few people I trust and get back to you soonest.
Thank you, I appreciate that.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nobody: 7:01am On Feb 21, 2016
Mizbaby:

You are severely delusional. You have a serious problem differentiating between reality and fantasy.
I pity the person who has to feed and house you while you give advice to people about things you know nothing about.
Anybody that takes your ignorant advice has just lost his way.

I would appreciate it if you can advice me on the questions I asked.
Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) ... (401)

General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.