Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? (5509 Views)

Romeo And Juliet By Shakespeare (read Full Story Here) / What Is Ya Favorite Shakespeare Novel? / Shakespeare: Complete Works, Free Ebook. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 26, 2005
Have you read 'Macbeth'?
What of "Merchant of Venice"
And "Hamlet"?
"Romeo and Juliet"?
And a host of a thousand others?

Which is your best?
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Oct 26, 2005
'Merchant of Venice' was just too good. The words used by Portia and Bassanio were great, especially in the court.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Oct 26, 2005
Macbeth: It was really wondering how the three prophecies by the 3 witches would come to pass. But Shakespeare is so good, he has the poetic license and diction to flow with the story line. I was reading that book and I never dropped it down till it was over.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by vexxy(f): 7:16pm On Oct 26, 2005
I love MidSummer Nights Dream. It's a wonderful love story full of plot twists and hilarious meetings. It's a light read but highly entertaining.

Oh and I love Romeo and Juliet along with Othello. There are so many it's hard to choose a favorite!
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by damygurl(f): 7:53pm On Oct 26, 2005
i luv julius ceasar, Much Ado about Nothin, Merchant of venice and my fav Romeo and juliet. i would have liked it much better if it had an happy ending. oh well it's still my fav one though. i think i like Macbeth but i never did finish reading it.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Oct 26, 2005
whats the story line of julius cesear?
u gat to read machbeth,its great!!!
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Oct 26, 2005
i think the tragic part of romeo and juliet really made the story line effective
why is it that good love stories end tragic..........see titanic,see romeo and juliet
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by vexxy(f): 9:12pm On Oct 26, 2005
You're right but the only difference is that the Titanic was a true story (not the love scene parts but the events themselves)
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by damygurl(f): 11:21pm On Oct 26, 2005
i cried so hard when i watched titanic gosh it was so...........!! Neways Julius Caesar is about d life ad death of Julius Caesar. he was gon becum d leader but he was assassinated. b4 his death there was a conspiracy against him by d can't remember but i think 3/4 guys. it deals with corrupt governments, one’s conscience, doing what will be good for everyone rather than thinking about one’s self, and the ability to change the populace’s minds. It also reaches into the area of grandness and becoming too ambitious.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by hotangel2(f): 12:32am On Oct 27, 2005
Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, i didn't read Othello.. but i know the story.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by razor(m): 8:13am On Oct 27, 2005
I've read almost all Shakespeare books, though l find Macbeth, and Merchant of Venice to be great and interesting, my favorite is 'The Tempest
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by fabian(f): 1:21pm On Oct 27, 2005
My best remains Much ado about nothing it struck me as very funny! I also read Macbeth, the merchant of venice, a midsummer nights' dream and Romeo & Juliet.
All in all, Much ado about nothing stand out for me!
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Oct 27, 2005
much ado about nothing was a comic one right?
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by fabian(f): 3:01pm On Oct 27, 2005
Right!
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by kelvin(m): 3:13pm On Oct 27, 2005
I love Romeo and Juliet.
Hamlet is also nice..."To Be Or Not To Be".
Shakespeare is a pretty good writer, I admire him.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by cushman(m): 3:17pm On Oct 27, 2005
I think my best is Julius ceaser
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 28, 2005
pls any brief history about shakespeare?can anyone share that?
who has read up more than 5 of his books
not watched but read
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by rihanna(f): 1:37am On Oct 29, 2005
i luv King Lear
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 29, 2005
that one too was great!
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by tunku(m): 11:41pm On Oct 29, 2005
Have you guys ever wondered why you are forced to read Shakespeare's play? is it because of the language? because no one is speaking in the vernacular that shakespeare wrote in anymore this day and age? I have read a couple of Shakespeare's plays and I chuckled at his bawdy language at times, but its so old and esoteric that it detracts from the largely inane and uninspired plots. Shakespeare might have been a brilliant playwright but I swear to god that I will never read another one of his play again. Hell my class is reading othello and so far I have bullshitted my way through most of the discussions about that play without having read it through. In short I think shakespeare is an overrated hack that is fueled by the pretenses of faux academians thinking they are smart because they can read the esoteric works of shakespeare. While in reality its nothing much more spectacular that the drivel that dinner theaters churns out on a daily basis.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by fabian(f): 12:07pm On Oct 31, 2005
Hmmm, that's your opinion I guess, but I truly read Shakespeare's books because I wanted to. Yes, we were forced to read an adaptation of his works in secondary school, i.e, Lambs' Tales from Shakespeare. But i sought to read his works after i had finished Secondary School. His style of writing is very different from what's obtainable now, but in his day, that was the way it was. my parent's even read the books as Youngsters, so I know it was the times, but what obtains for me as a rule of thumb when it comes to books is this:

There's nothing such as an uninteresting book. What exists, is an uninterested person.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Oct 31, 2005
thats true,we are forced to read at least one shakespeare's book in school
i think the reason is to make us know the historicallanguage of those days
and maybe shakespeare has no competitor!!!!
whay do u think?
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Z4M4eva(f): 12:22pm On Nov 28, 2005
Romeo and Juliet, I love the movie, but not the book,absolutely gr8 movie, oh so passionate!
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Nov 28, 2005
yeah it is...
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by afro: 1:47am On Dec 03, 2005
i've read many of shakespeare's works,but because i love art (be it novels,movies) based on political intrigue my best are julius caesar,hamlet,and macbeth.these 3 works really touched on the viler elements of humanity.or what can be worse than a man assasinating his best friend,a man cuckolding his brother then murdering him, or a man butchering his loving king.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by bagoma(f): 10:39pm On Dec 04, 2005
@ tunku,
your attack on the "mighty" shakespear made me chuckle, but i feel you small, o.
i read a little shakespear in school because we were compelled to in my literature classes then.
read much ado about nothing, romeo and juliet, etc. only read them to pass my exams.
i heard so much about julius ceaser, so much so that i decided to see what the noise was all about. picked it up but couldnt get past the grammer. had to give up. abeg make them trrrryyy translate am to today's english, maybe then we can properly appraise his works.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by enchantra(f): 6:12am On Dec 14, 2005
i love a midsummer's nights dream
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 21, 2005
oh its fantastic
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Advin(m): 12:39pm On Jan 03, 2006
I love hamlet and romeo and juliet.
There is one thing I love about shakespear's books, they are unpredictable
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Advin(m): 1:09pm On Jan 03, 2006
nairaland.com[url][/url]
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Z4M4eva(f): 1:17pm On Jan 03, 2006
Why you posting the URL of nairaland
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Advin(m): 7:53pm On Jan 03, 2006
Sorry, it was a mistake, i wanted to link ariba to the life of shakespeare.
ariba, I got the full story, here it is:
William Shakespeare (1564-1616) was born to John Shakespeare and mother Mary Arden some time in late April 1564 in Stratford-upon-Avon. There is no record of his birth, but his baptism was recorded by the church, thus his birthday is assumed to be the 23 of April. His father was a prominent and prosperous alderman in the town of Stratford-upon-Avon, and was later granted a coat of arms by the College of Heralds. All that is known of Shakespeare's youth is that he presumably attended the Stratford Grammar School, and did not proceed to Oxford or Cambridge. The next record we have of him is his marriage to Anne Hathaway in 1582. The next year she bore a daughter for him, Susanna, followed by the twins Judith and Hamnet two years later.

Seven years later Shakespeare was recognized as an actor, poet, and playwright, when a rival playwright, Robert Greene, referred to him as "an upstart crow" in "A Groatsworth of Wit." A few years later he joined up with one of the most successful acting troupes in London: "The Lord Chamberlain's Men." When, in 1599, the troupe lost the lease of the theatre where they performed (appropriately called "The Theatre"wink, they were wealthy enough to build their own theatre across the Thames, south of London, which they called "The Globe." The new theatre opened in July of 1599, built from the timbers of "The Theatre", with the motto "Totus mundus agit histrionem" (A whole world of players). When James I came to the throne (1603) the troupe was designated by the new king as the "King's Men" (or "King's Company"wink. The Letters Patent of the company specifically charged Shakespeare and eight others "freely to use and exercise the art and faculty of playing Comedies, Tragedies, Histories, Interludes, Morals, Pastorals, stage plays ... as well for recreation of our loving subjects as for our solace and pleasure."

Shakespeare entertained the King and the people for another ten years until June 19, 1613, when a canon fired from the roof of the theatre for a gala performance of Henry VIII set fire to the thatch roof and burned the theatre to the ground. The audience ignored the smoke from the roof at first, being to absorbed in the play, until the flames caught the walls and the fabric of the curtains. Amazingly there were no casualties, and the next spring the company had the theatre "new builded in a far fairer manner than before." Although Shakespeare invested in the rebuilding, he retired from the stage to the Great House of New Place in Statford that he had purchased in 1597, and some considerable land holdings ,where he continued to write until his death in 1616 on the day of his 52nd birthday.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bloodline........Prologue / Free Ebooks, Magazines, Textbooks, Television Series Download For All / Scandal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.