Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life (3394 Views)

God Is An Atheist: What Theists Cant argue.Discover God's God / Does Your Family Know That You Are An Atheist? What Are Their Thoughts On It? / My Fellow Agnostic And Atheist, What If We Got It All Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by tobechi74: 11:03pm On Aug 28, 2015
N. B

Sacred ;treaater with great respect.

Most Theist hold Their religion sacred. They hardly joke with with them. They are Willim to forget Their love for it. Some catholics hold Their rosary sacred.

Atheist, what do you Cherish most
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by Nobody: 11:04pm On Aug 28, 2015
Deez nutz

6 Likes

Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by johnydon22(m): 8:00am On Aug 29, 2015
I would like to mention that atheism is not a doctrine, the only thing that label people atheists is disbelief in Gods. . so i can only speak for myself.

What i hold to be sacred is "LIFE" as we know it now. . .Human life, animal life and every other life form this planet harbours. .

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by sushieater: 10:53am On Aug 29, 2015
youmour:
Deez nutz

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by Nobody: 11:25am On Aug 29, 2015
youmour:
Deez nutz
sushieater:

grin grin grin
grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by Nobody: 11:36am On Aug 29, 2015
pounded yam and egusi soup
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by Nobody: 11:39am On Aug 29, 2015
Lol. Go on Atheists.
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by Nobody: 11:39am On Aug 29, 2015
johnydon22:
I would like to mention that atheism is not a doctrine, the only thing that label people atheists is disbelief in Gods. . so i can only speak for myself.

What i hold to be sacred is "LIFE" as we know it now. . .Human life, animal life and every other life form this planet harbours. .
If I may ask, why Life?
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by johnydon22(m): 11:44am On Aug 29, 2015
Reyginus:
If I may ask, why Life?
Because it is more special than gold, money, belief and wealth. . If you ever value belief more than "LIFE" then one can only say pity .. The wealth of this planet is not in what we take from it but what we give it. .and that entails how we treat ourselves and other life forms

3 Likes

Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by plaetton: 11:50am On Aug 29, 2015
Reyginus:
If I may ask, why Life?

Why not Life?

Life is the total sum of individual experience on this universe.
Every creature has the right live out its cosmic or evolutionary purpose.
Therefore, that right is something that non should interfare with.

The meat that ate for food today, did that creature fullfil its cosmic purpose by nourishing and adding to your life or did your need for nourishment usurp its own cosmic purpose?

This is a question you should ponder before you eat that bushmeat your planning to eat later today. grin

1 Like

Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by plaetton: 12:05pm On Aug 29, 2015
Repeating what johnydon22 has said, atheism is not a philosophical proposition, nor a moral one.

Every individual has his or her own things or values that they hold sacred.

I personally hold life, freedom, justice and harmony as sacred.

I also hold the innocence of children, their need for unconditional love and protection to be very very sacred.

Let me also state that atheism is not an anti-religious movement or proposition.

But detachment from religious belief gives one the clarity of mind from which religious practices, norms and traditions that go against the grain of common sense can be Challenged, repudiated, even mocked and rolled back.

Given that the Nigerian landscape has been perpetually desolated by the shananigans of imported toxic religions, Nigerian atheists have no choice but to appear anti-religious in their efforts to push back and roll back LETHAL MYTHOLOGIES of religion.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by Nobody: 12:05pm On Aug 29, 2015
johnydon22:
Because it is more special than gold, money, belief and wealth. . If you ever value belief more than "LIFE" then one can only say pity .. The wealth of this planet is not in what we take from it but what we give it. .and that entails how we treat ourselves and other life forms
I think life is the greatest thing in the world too. I just want to know your reasons.

Good one. A very intelligent man asked this question some time ago, on this forum, I'd like to see how you respond to it.

Is life better than no life? That is, is existence better than nonexistence? I would like you to use this illustration to answer it.

In life tasks are executed and problems are solved. Imagine there were no problems and something happens and a problem is created. A tool, a person, encounters it and tries to solve it. Imagine also there were no problems as a result of no tool, a person, in existence. Is any of the two better than the other?
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by Nobody: 12:08pm On Aug 29, 2015
plaetton:

Why not Life?

Life is the total sum of individual experience on this universe.
Every creature has the right live out its cosmic or evolutionary purpose.
Therefore, that right is something that non should interfare with.

The meat that ate for food today, did that creature fullfil its cosmic purpose by nourishing and adding to your life or did your need for nourishment usurp its own cosmic purpose?

This is a question you should ponder before you eat that bushmeat your planning to eat later today. grin
What do you mean by 'its cosmic purpose'?
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by johnydon22(m): 12:12pm On Aug 29, 2015
Reyginus:
I think life is the greatest thing in the world too. I just want to know your reasons.

Good one. A very intelligent man asked this question some time ago, on this forum, I'd like to see how you respond to it.

Is life better than no life? That is, is existence better than nonexistence? I would like you to use this illustration to answer it.

In life tasks are executed and problems are solved. Imagine there were no problems and something happens and a problem is created. A tool, a person, encounters it and tries to solve it. Imagine also there were no problems as a result of no tool, a person, in existence. Is any of the two better than the other?
For every action in physics there is a reaction. . So for the fact there are activities (life) there must be reactions therefore the activities that spring forth as a result of life is life itself.

Now without these activities, there is nothing and this position (inexistence) itself is a separate and distinct tilt to the former ..

One cannot determine that which is better, certainly not me because Existence and Inexistence are both different sides of the same coin. . They both negate each other and are dependent on each other for meaning. .

Without the idea of existence there will never be the concept of inexistence, so none is greater or better than the other.....

Now according to you why is life the most important thing ?
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by plaetton: 12:17pm On Aug 29, 2015
Reyginus:
What do you mean by 'its cosmic purpose'?
The universe is the sum of its parts.
Therefore, every atom, every molecule, every conscious life adds value to the universe by participating in its evolution.

Being able to fully participate, without interruption, in the grand symphony of the universe is the Cosmic purpose that I refer to.
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by johnydon22(m): 12:20pm On Aug 29, 2015
plaetton:

Therefore, every atom, every molecule, every conscious life adds value to the universe by participating in its evolution.

Being able to fully participate, without interruption, in the grand symphony of the universe is the Cosmic purpose that I refer to.
Simply put.

"We are all different parts of the same whole and our activities affects others"

Most people do not know that when one says "UNIVERSE". they are referring to the totality of everything in existence... from the unseen atom, grain of dust, stone, plants, humans, to planets, galaxies everything in existence in totality is the universe, but most people do not know this"

1 Like

Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by Nobody: 12:24pm On Aug 29, 2015
johnydon22:

For every action in physics there is a reaction. . So for the fact there are activities (life) there must be reactions therefore the activities that spring forth as a result of life is life itself.

Now without these activities, there is nothing and this position (inexistence) itself is a separate and distinct tilt to the former ..

One cannot determine that which is better, certainly not me because Existence and Inexistence are both different sides of the same coin. . They both negate each other and are dependent on each other for meaning. .

Without the idea of existence there will never be the concept of inexistence, so none is greater or better than the other
Nice. Very good. Thank you. My thoughts exactly. But we may have a problem.

So, by implication, life is the most sacred thing when compared with life. Now I'm feeling uncomfortable with the result. Wouldn't that mean that life is only sacred when compared to life because with no life it is nothing?

And if that is so, how can the only sacred thing about a thing be the thing? I hope you get my point. As in, the good thing about good is that it is good. You get where I'm driving at?
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 29, 2015
plaetton:

Okay. I get you now.
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by johnydon22(m): 12:31pm On Aug 29, 2015
Reyginus:
Nice. Very good. Thank you. My thoughts exactly. But we may have a problem.

So, by implication, life is the most sacred thing when compared with life. Now I'm feeling uncomfortable with the result. Wouldn't that mean that life is only sacred when compared to life because with no life it is nothing?

And if that is so, how can the only sacred thing about a thing be the thing? I hope you get my point. As in, the good thing about good is that it is good. You get where I'm driving at?

I think apparently you have mistaken existence to mean life directly. . Let me even get something straight here.

"What is Life?"
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by plaetton: 12:33pm On Aug 29, 2015
johnydon22:
Simply put.

"We are all different parts of the same whole and our activities affects others"

This the fundamental misunderstanding that dogmatic theists like Deepsight seem to miss.

They think that Life and consciouness are extraneous imports to our universe, rather than being organic, homegrown derivatives of the universal grand symphony.

1 Like

Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 29, 2015
johnydon22:

I think apparently you have mistaken existence to mean life directly. . Let me even get something straight here.

"What is Life?"
In this sense, existing as a living being.
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by Nobody: 12:43pm On Aug 29, 2015
plaetton:

This the fundamental misunderstanding that dogmatic theists like Deepsight seem to miss.

They think that Life and consciousness are extraneous imports to our universe, rather than being organic, homegrown derivatives of the universal grand symphony.
Plaetton!!! What do you mean by life and consciousness are 'being organic, homegrown derivatives of the universal grand symphony'.
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by johnydon22(m): 12:46pm On Aug 29, 2015
Reyginus:
In this sense, existing as a living being.
Yes i know, am asking "what living is" so we can differentiate and see the premise from whence my postulation of life being special is based..

What is living? or in order words "what is a living being?"
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by Nobody: 12:49pm On Aug 29, 2015
johnydon22:
Yes i know, am asking "what living is" so we can differentiate and see the premise from whence my postulation of life being special is based..

What is living? or in order words "what is a living being?"
I hope we don't move in circles now. A living being is a being that has life.
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by plaetton: 12:52pm On Aug 29, 2015
Reyginus:
Plaetton!!! What do you mean by life and consciousness are 'being organic, homegrown derivatives of the universal grand symphony'.

Like I said before, the universe is the sum of its parts.
Everything in the universe, including and especially conscious life, is homegrown in the universe.
Simple.

It is utterly ludicrous to suggest a divine or extraneous provenance for conscious life in the universe.
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 29, 2015
plaetton:

Like I said before, the universe is the sum of its parts.
Everything in the universe, including and especially conscious life, is homegrown in the universe.
Simple.

It is utterly ludicrous to suggest a divine or extraneous provenance for conscious life in the universe.
I get you now. No need to bring any God into it now. Homegrown in the universe? Hmmm. Okay o.
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by johnydon22(m): 12:58pm On Aug 29, 2015
Reyginus:
I hope we don't move in circles now. A living being is a being that has life.
...lol..In other words you cannot biologically define for us what life is, anyway i get the gist so let's move on..

I will list our 3 existing things

1) A stone (inanimate entity)
2)Euglena Viridis (Biological entity)
3)Politics (A concept or an idea)

Which of this three things is alive ?
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by Nobody: 1:11pm On Aug 29, 2015
johnydon22:
...lol..In other words you cannot biologically define for us what life is, anyway i get the gist so let's move on..

I'm not about the biological aspect. I think anyone can define that.

They are all alive depending on the angle you are looking at it from. A stone is composed of Silicon, Carbon, Oxygen and other chemical elements, compounds and mixtures. These chemicals are active and the electrons, protons and neutrons are participating in the cohesion. In that sense, it is alive.

Euglena is biologically active. The elements of our MR NIGER D found in it simplify this. An idea is alive in the symbolic and mental realm of things. The idea to kill a person cannot be visible but is explained in the act. They all are depending on the angle from which you view them.
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by plaetton: 1:12pm On Aug 29, 2015
johnydon22:

I wish Deepsight we here, because This bring to mind the debates we have had about which begat the other, consciouness or the universe.

It is similar to asking which begat the other, Politics or Life?

Politics is an interactive activity derived from Life, that then thereafter shapes the activities of Life.
Similarly, consciouness is derived from the activities (neural interactions) of life, and then thereafter controls the activities of Life.

Therefore, consciouness, like politics, couldn't have preceded Life, but is an organic derivative of the symphony of Life.
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by Nobody: 1:14pm On Aug 29, 2015
plaetton:

I wish Deepsight we here, because This bring to mind the debates we have had about which begat the other, consciouness or the universe.

It is similar to asking which begat the other, Politics or Life?

Politics is an interactive activity derived from Life, that then thereafter shapes the activities of Life.
Similarly, consciouness is derived from the activities (neural interactions) of life, and then thereafter controls the activities of Life.

Therefore, consciouness, like politics, couldn't have preceded Life, but is an organic derivative of the symphony of Life.
Plaetton again! Consciousness derived from neural interactions? In essence, their will be no consciousness where there is no brain?
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by johnydon22(m): 1:18pm On Aug 29, 2015
Reyginus:
I'm not about the biological aspect. I think anyone can define that.

They are all alive depending on the angle you are looking at it from. A stone is composed of Silicon, Carbon, Oxygen and other chemical elements, compounds and mixtures. These chemicals are active and the electrons, protons and neutrons are participating in the cohesion. In that sense, it is alive.

Euglena is biologically active. The elements of our MR NIGER D found in it simplify this. An idea is alive in the symbolic and mental realm of things. The idea to kill a person cannot be visible but is explained in the act. They all are depending on the angle from which you huge them from.
You see this is so because you failed to define exactly what you mean by "LIFE" in order to create a premise from whence conclusions can be derived.

Because obviously looking at the three examples above, each entity or idea above operates in a different regard from the other two and so cannot be said to be within the confine of one definition..… Because by employing symbolism in order to term an idea alive, you have blatantly distinguished it from that of a biological entity..

So I repeat again..

what is the state of being alive?
Re: Atheist What Do You Hold Sacred In Life by johnydon22(m): 1:19pm On Aug 29, 2015
Reyginus:
Plaetton again! Consciousness derived from neural interactions? In essence, their will be no consciousness where there is no brain?
What is consciousness?
and is the brain the only neural receptor there is?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Linda Ikeji Blasted By Fans For Promoting Homosexual Wedding! / Only If Adam Had Asked For Forgiveness! / Wahabism A Cancer In Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.