Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,037 members, 7,828,635 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. (3955 Views)

2019: ADP Zones The Presidency To The North And Vice President South East / Igbo Youths Write UN, Demand Protection Of Igbos In The North And Referendum / Why Is Fuel #87 In The North And #120 - #130 In The East? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by CyberWolf: 10:28am On Aug 29, 2015
OP tell us their geopolitical zones..You think we are gullible? The names there comprised all the six geopolitical zones in Nigeria, so stop playing the ostrich here..
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by MizMyColi(f): 10:28am On Aug 29, 2015
Obiagelli:

The bolded is the point here, the northerners didn't complain because it's no biggie not like the shameless way we have been all over the media since Thursday.

BTW I thought the civil service too is dominated by northerners, how come they have few perm secs

It is simple.
Attaining the position of permanent secretary entails hardwork, merit and patience.
The average northerner thinks he is born to rule you and I.
We do more of the work.
They clinch the juicier positions.

Let me tell you why people have been agitating.
There is no need for this thread because Jonathan or OBJ did not appoint these people.
They got there following due process.

But when one man who is supposed to be the executive president of a federation begins to make appointments which when looked at on paper, are apparently lopsided, then there is a problem. And it is better that those who can wail now begin to do so.
Because before our very eyes, the 95% to 5% ratio is being played out.

I saw your comment somewhere that the reason southerners are agitating for their brothers to get political appointment is so they can have easy access and beg for contracts.

Ma'am, is the lobbying for contracts peculiar to the southerners alone?
Are you saying that because the Northerners now occupy these key positions that there won't be such occurrence. Whatever their true reasons for this agitation is, all I know is that if it is good for goose, it is good for Mr gander. No one should have a monopoly on whatever it is they do up there.

There's no justifying this action of Mr Buhari.
Forget that I have been having fun over the development, but truth be told it goes against the stipulated principle of federal character.

The Yorubas are complaining and it is being publicised this much because they largely control the Nigerian media....
If the Igbos were mostly disadvantaged, nothing would have been heard. And I can tell you that my people are not as concerned. They resigned themselves to fate the moment Buhari won and decided to chart their own path/course.

All in all.
I'm indifferent.
More Northern appointments biko.
I am now Alhaja MizColiatugrin

Jokes apart now....did someone actually expect Buhari to install non-northerners as his Chief of Staff and other sensitive/close proximity positions?

Such delusion of grandeur.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by Nobody: 10:28am On Aug 29, 2015
omenka:
You can imagine the hypocrisy. It is best to just ignore these guys to keep wailing till eternity. They simply can't be helped.
See beating about
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by FreeGlobe(f): 10:28am On Aug 29, 2015
CyberWolf:
Ask her to pull out the states of origin of all those in the list lets see how it goes.. grin
don't mind the eddiott, we have not even talked about heads of parastatals and Directors where its a ratio of plus 5 northerners:1 southerner
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by CyberWolf: 10:31am On Aug 29, 2015
Obiagelli the ediot, tell us the geopolitical zones of those perm secs..Please don't run away grin
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by Jesusloveyou: 10:33am On Aug 29, 2015
CSTR2:
Even with the obvious domination of our various arms of arms of govts and agencies that even the north knows and brags about .
Someone still had to go up and get a somewhat skewed list of the few agencies headed by southerners but completed dominated by northerners anyway..
The same southern heads that are getting replaced by northerners already.
I give up.
Some people can not be helped.
Producing a counter post would be a waste of time.
The urge to defend buhari will override any sense of rationality for our resident buharists.
I am out of here.
u better be out of here, and plssssss remember to go with ur bags of bigotry

1 Like

Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by Nobody: 10:34am On Aug 29, 2015
EdCure:

People talk about TRUST & GOOD INTENTION glibly. Moreover,It's said that the road to hell is paved with good intention.

But let's try a little bit of schooling here; One of the two popular definitions of politics are :
(1) authoritative allocation of resources and values
(2) Who get what,when and how

The implication of those definitions is that the much desired 'development' you want for your people may not come if there's no one to push their case in the boardroom when decision are being made.

SGF and CoS are the life wire of a government. They take the most decisions for the government.
I hope people will start being reasonable and not follow sheepishly.

I'm a Buhari supporter, and no matter the end result of this administration,i'll never regret my support for him because the only alternative at the last election was a disaster. But I won't defend the indefensible!
Since when did we need people from a region to further their interest, I think nigeria and nigerians have lost it in the last decade.
Who are those that have headed the Niger delta ministry and development commission, how have they performed?
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 29, 2015
CyberWolf:
Obiagelli the ediot, tell us the geopolitical zones of those perm secs..Please don't run away grin
This thread is not for empty heads pls
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by Nobody: 10:38am On Aug 29, 2015
MizMyColi:

There is no need for this thread because Jonathan or OBJ did not appoint these people.

Who appoints permanent secretaries?
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by MizMyColi(f): 10:39am On Aug 29, 2015
Obiagelli:

Since when did we need people from a region to further their interest, I think nigeria and nigerians have lost it in the last decade.
Who are those that have headed the Niger delta ministry and development commission, how have they performed?

Madam, you're speaking with such naivety this morning o.

If that's the case, then why is the federal character principle enshrined in our constitution?
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by CyberWolf: 10:40am On Aug 29, 2015
[s]
Obiagelli:

This thread is not for empty heads pls
[/s]
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by Jesusloveyou: 10:46am On Aug 29, 2015
CyberWolf:
OP tell us their geopolitical zones..You think we are gullible? The names there comprised all the six geopolitical zones in Nigeria, so stop playing the ostrich here..
so tell us, is it d appointment of two kitchen cabinet members , that u are expecting a reflection of six geopolitical zones?

1 Like

Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by Nobody: 10:47am On Aug 29, 2015
MizMyColi:

If that's the case, then why is the federal character principle enshrined in our constitution?
I have never been a fan of the federal character, it has never worked for us, BTW how come you support federal character all of a sudden. I thought you were for the best man for the job
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by MizMyColi(f): 10:48am On Aug 29, 2015
Obiagelli:

Who appoints permanent secretaries?

Apparently the executive president or governor.

Do permanent secretaries change with each administration?

Do you just go and fish for someone somewhere and foist them on a section if the civil service as perm secs, or do you actually select from a pool of qualified ones?
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by MizMyColi(f): 10:50am On Aug 29, 2015
Obiagelli:

I have never been a fan of the federal character, it has never worked for us, BTW how come you support federal character all of a sudden. I thought you were for the best man for the job

The best man for the job, yes.

But when it comes to division of labour, and considering our multi-ethnicity, it is wise to get capable hands pooled from all sides if the divide.
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by Jesusloveyou: 10:52am On Aug 29, 2015
MizMyColi:

how did d federal character affect two kitchen cabinet members, can u share d two position into six geopolitical zones to reflect federal character?

1 Like

Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by Nobody: 10:52am On Aug 29, 2015
MizMyColi:

Apparently the executive president or governor.

Do permanent secretaries change with each administration?

[b] Do you just go and fish for someone somewhere and foist them on a section if the civil service as perm secs, or do you actually select from a pool of qualified ones?

Do you mean there are no northerners qualified for those positions? (using your argument since thursday)
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by CyberWolf: 10:53am On Aug 29, 2015
Jesusloveyou:
so tell us, is it d appointment of two kitchen cabinet members , that u are expecting a reflection of six geopolitical zones?
I'm trying to debunk the malicious notion the OP is trying to portray here that the list marginalized the north hence, we lack the moral impetus to criticize Buhari for favoring the north..
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by seunmsg(m): 10:54am On Aug 29, 2015
MizMyColi:

It is simple.
Attaining the position of permanent secretary entails hardwork, merit and patience.
The average northerner thinks he is born to rule you and I.
We do more of the work.
They clinch the juicier positions.

But when one man who is supposed to be the executive president of a federation begins to make appointments which when looked at on paper, are apparently lopsided, then there is a problem. And it is better that those who can wail now begin to do so.
Because before our very eyes, the 95% to 5% ratio is being played out.

I saw your comment somewhere that the reason southerners are agitating for their brothers to get political appointment is so they can have easy access and beg for contracts.

Ma'am, is the lobbying for contracts peculiar to the southerners alone?
Are you saying that because the Northerners now occupy these key positions that there won't be such occurrence. Whatever their true reasons for this agitation is, all I know is that if it is good for goose, it is good for Mr gander. No one should have a monopoly on whatever it is they do up there.

There's no justifying this action of Mr Buhari.
Forget that I have been having fun over the development, but truth be told it goes against the stipulated principle of federal character.

The Yorubas are complaining and it is being publicised this much because they largely control the Nigerian media....
If the Igbos were mostly disadvantaged, nothing would have been heard. And I can tell you that my people are not as concerned. They resigned themselves to fate the moment Buhari won and decided to chart their own path/course.

All in all.
I'm indifferent.
More Northern appointments biko.
I am now Alhaja MizColiatugrin

Jokes apart now....did someone actually expect Buhari to install non-northerners as his Chief of Staff and other sensitive/close proximity positions?

Such delusion of grandeur.

The part in bold is absolutely wrong. You don't get promoted to permanent secretary position. The civil service career progression of a civil servant ends as a director on grade level 17. Permanent secretaries are political appointees and they are appointed by the president. You don't even have to be in the civil service to be appointed as permanent secretary so, I don't know how you came about your argument that southerners work so hard and follow due process to get to such positions.
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by Nobody: 10:54am On Aug 29, 2015
MizMyColi:

The best man for the job, yes.

But when it comes to division of labour, and considering our multi-ethnicity, it is wise to get capable hands pooled from all sides if the divide.
Contradictions if you asked me
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by MizMyColi(f): 10:55am On Aug 29, 2015
seunmsg:

The part in bold is absolutely wrong. You don't get promoted to permanent secretary position. The civil service career progression of a civil servant ends as a director on grade level 17. Permanent secretaries are political appointees and they are appointed by the president. You don't even have to be in the civil service to be appointed as permanent secretary so, I don't know how you came about your argument that southerners work so hard and follow due process to get to such positions.

Really?
So you don't have to be a civil servant to become a Psec?
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by sunnyb0b0(m): 10:59am On Aug 29, 2015
Obiagelli:

Let me get this straight, sunnyb0b0 says there's absolute merit in the civil service and you say it is dominated by northerners with southern heads, how does that work?

Don't twist my comment dude, Below is what I said;

sunnyb0b0:
The civil service [b]where promotion to certain levels is attained by merit [/b]via rigorous processes following laid down civil service rules can't in all honesty be compared to political appointments.
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by sunnyb0b0(m): 11:02am On Aug 29, 2015
seunmsg:

Permanent secretaries are political appointments. Civil servants career progression ends as a Director on grade level 17.

Permanent secretaries are not political appointees. They are appointed Ted from the civil service by the Head of Service with approval by the president.
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by Nobody: 11:06am On Aug 29, 2015
sunnyb0b0:

Don't twist my comment dude, Below is what I said;
merit = merit
where is the twist?
Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by EdCure: 11:16am On Aug 29, 2015
Obiagelli:

Political appointment, especially in a well-defined federal structure as ours, is not much about precedence of competence and performance as it is about empowerment and resource allocation. I thought you should know this, despite the analogy and explanation which I earlier posted.

Talking about history of non-performing public office holders, you will also agree with me that the North has had a lion share of such incompetent and corrupt elements since the days of Balewa.

We the enlightenened Southerners must stop propounding free theories for the northerners in defence of their hypocrisy, treachery and conspiracy.
All I see here is empowerment and consolidation of vested interests.

**I did discus this same issue with you through my "cleatoris" handle on Afam4Eva's thread yesterday**

3 Likes

Re: Buhari The North And The True Picture Of Nigeria's Federal Government Structure. by Nobody: 11:24am On Aug 29, 2015
EdCure:

Political appointment, especially in a well-defined federal structure as ours, is not much about precedence of competence and performance as it is about empowerment and resource allocation. I thought you should know this, despite the analogy and explanation which I earlier posted.

Talking about history of non-performing public office holders, you will also agree with me that the North has had a lion share of such incompetent and corrupt elements since the days of Balewa.

We the enlightenened Southerners must stop propounding free theories for the northerners in defence of their hypocrisy, treachery and conspiracy.
All I see here is empowerment and consolidation of vested interests.

**I did discus this same issue with you through my "cleatoris" handle on Afam4Eva's thread yesterday**
I respect your opinion but I will never judge appointments by tribe, neither will I ever see appointments as empowerment. Nigeria worked in the past without these special status of complexity we have chosen for ourselves.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Did Diezani personally sign any Cheques as Petroleum minister? / Governor Ortom Unable To Pay Salaries After Borrowing N60 Billion In 7 Months / Disgracing The Igbo Tradition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.