Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:19 PM

6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby (7310 Views)

Photo Of A Man Staring At His Newborn Baby / 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn / Photo Of Newborn Baby Covered In Naira Notes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by Airforce1(m): 9:16am On Aug 30, 2015
He’s arrived! And he’s so adorable, but so helpless and frail. The responsibility of caring for your newborn can be a huge burden for parents, whether this little baby is the first, second or eighth child. A gift from heaven, babies always bring joy and comfort to your home. But it is important to know what to do with your newborn to make sure he stays safe and sound.

1. Don’t let anyone kiss your newborn

It may sound like an old wives’ tale, but it’s true. During the first weeks of your baby’s life, contact with bacteria and germs can cause some serious problems for your little guy. Kissing (and unwashed hands) can introduce unwanted illnesses, because their little immune systems just aren’t quite up to protecting their body from getting sick. As a parent, ask people to not kiss your newborn, wash their hands before holding him and to come back later if they are sick. Avoid taking your child to crowded places where there’s a higher risk of getting sick. Soon he’ll be ready for these kinds of adventures, but you’ll need to be a little patient first.

2. Don’t change the pace of the home

Your newborn may need a lot of attention, but try not to disrupt the home for everyone else inside. Don’t feel like you need to close windows or curtains during the day so he will sleep better. You don’t have to stop everyone from chatting, watching TV or listening to the radio because he is napping. During the evening, try to keep your routine. Put everyone else to sleep, and turn down the lights like you would normally do to get your baby used to the daily routine of things. Don’t worry if he has noisy little siblings; the sooner your new baby gets used to the noise of the day, the better he will sleep, no matter the time.

3. Don’t leave dirty diapers on too long

This seems like common sense, but it’s important to remember. They may be tiny, but newborn babies excrete and urinate much more than a 6-month-old baby. This means that newborns will need to be changed more frequently (and will need to eat pretty often, too). Check your baby’s diaper on a regular basis to make sure they aren’t uncomfortable or need to be changed. This will also help prevent diaper rash.

4. Don’t offer a pacifier

Your baby was born with a strong instinct to suck, and your chest milk is the best food for him. Sucking on a pacifier too early can create confusion with their eating schedules. Your baby is used to your body heat, your heartbeat and your scent — breastfeeding is a comfortable experience for your newborn. Of course, not all mothers can breastfeed, and should by no means feel poorly if this is the case. If your baby needs to be bottle-fed, follow the instructions of your doctor. And never forget to sterilize items well before feeding your baby.

5. Don’t over-do the outfits

Your newborn may always appear to be cold, but don’t go to the extreme. It’s true that little babies don’t get much warmth from moving around, but excess clothing can cause fever and dehydration if you aren’t careful. Dress your newborn in layers so you can easily add or remove clothes to keep the temperature just right.

6. Don’t skip an appointment

Rain or shine, morning or night, be sure to take your little one to the doctor if there are problems. Always schedule your appointments regularly, and don’t skip visits. As new parents, you may be worried about something that is totally normal, but only a professional will be able to tell for sure. Your doctor will be able to separate the normal from the abnormal; let him or her be the judge of things.

Our list could be much longer, but these are some things to keep in mind as you are giggling and snuggling with your little babe. After all, is there anything more precious than a newborn baby?

This article is an adaptation and translation of the original article “6 coisas que você NUNCA deve fazer com um recém-nascido”.

http://www.informationng.com/2015/08/6-things-you-should-never-do-with-a-newborn.html

Cc Lalasticlala, ishilove

I think this thread is important

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by INTROVERT(f): 9:19am On Aug 30, 2015
Okay, noted...
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by Hazardd(m): 9:23am On Aug 30, 2015
Okay
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by delishpot: 9:41am On Aug 30, 2015
Dont shake the baby its quite easy for frustrated and tired parents to shake a crying baby in abid to getbaby to stop crying. Its a very dangerous thing to do. If baby wont stop crying and the parent is sure baby is not sick, hurt or distressed its best to put baby down in her cot and go catch your breath for a few min s andreturn to attend to babys needs.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by Visocrate(m): 9:43am On Aug 30, 2015
very educative and straight to points
anyway look at the grids on the face of this little baby is like what did this woman Robb on this breast it wasn't like this when I sucked it a while ago how come it is tasteless and bitter now please explain to me before I start shouting grin

3 Likes

Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by Rainmaker69(m): 10:18am On Aug 30, 2015
Very good tips. Thanks op. God bless you.
Though there's no one-size-fits-all rule when it comes to taking care of new babies. Each baby is different so parents should carefully study each baby.

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by Dannan: 11:11am On Aug 30, 2015
Don't leave on a particular pampers on for long for the baby, Don't use your phone or camera near the baby, beware of camera flashlight when people are taking pictures, don't use hot balm for the new born baby It takes the Grace of GOD ALMIGHTY to be able to care adequately for newborns. It is well Amen.
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by jashar(f): 8:32pm On Aug 30, 2015
funny as this may sound, don't spray perfume on your new born baby. This applies to all these parents forming Behind.
Also don't use harsh creams on them.
My mum nearly slapped the teeth out of a woman's mouth for rubbing Funbact A on her 2 month old baby girl.
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by Airforce1(m): 8:30am On Aug 31, 2015
jashar:
funny as this may sound, don't spray perfume on your new born baby. This applies to all these parents forming Behind.
Also don't use harsh creams on them.
My mum nearly slapped the teeth out of a woman's mouth for rubbing Funbact A on her 2 month old baby girl.
Hmm

You can lie o

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by Rukkydelta(f): 12:29pm On Aug 31, 2015
OK
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by mutter(f): 1:15pm On Aug 31, 2015
I think that too much hygene has negative effects the baby does not develop strong immunity and is always sick, gets easily infected.

After my first child I grew wise. No more sterilising and frantic hygene. I didn`t even sterilise. Only boiled out the bottles once a week.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by maputohq: 2:51pm On Aug 31, 2015
Rainmaker69:
Very good tips. God bless you.
u mean d tips right above u?
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by Sundayme(m): 4:43pm On Aug 31, 2015
God bless babies.

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by Airforce1(m): 4:53pm On Aug 31, 2015
Sundayme:
God bless babies.
Amen smiley

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by timilehing(m): 8:24pm On Aug 31, 2015
Airforce1:
Amen smiley
You expecting a baby soon undecided :p
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by Airforce1(m): 8:25pm On Aug 31, 2015
timilehing:
You expecting a baby soon undecided :p

I love babies

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by anthoniaz(f): 10:29pm On Aug 31, 2015
Nice!

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by olu4life(m): 11:44pm On Aug 31, 2015
mutter:
I think that too much hygene has negative effects the baby does not develop strong immunity and is always sick, gets easily infected.

After my first child I grew wise. No more sterilising and frantic hygene. I didn`t even sterilise. Only boiled out the bottles once a week.
My exact thought too. We are damn too careful about things nowadays. But doesn't give room for dirtiness anyways.

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by mutter(f): 11:53pm On Aug 31, 2015
olu4life:

My exact thought too. We are damn too careful about things nowadays. But doesn't give room for dirtiness anyways.
Yes you are right. Depend allot on the environment you live. Perhaps in hotter regions you might need to be more particular about sterilising
I mean I also don't like people carry my babies or touch their hand. You probably spread bacteria faster that way than with a clean bottle that was not sterilized
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by DrObum(m): 6:31am On Sep 01, 2015
Don't shake babies like someone said earlier esp this old practice of throwing them up and catching them.
It's very dangerous even if they don't fall off your arms!

Babies have died from it and many more suffered serious damages. You ask how and i'll just say it's because it injures their young brains and you don't want to kill your own child.

Google- shaken baby syndrome and understand better what I mean.

Cc: Lalasticlala, Ishilove, Seun, Farano,
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by MzCorleone(f): 10:08am On Sep 01, 2015
Airforce1:
Hmm
You can lie o
Where's the lie there? undecided

She's figuratively speaking.
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by MzCorleone(f): 10:08am On Sep 01, 2015
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by Airforce1(m): 10:25am On Sep 01, 2015
DrObum:
Don't shake babies like someone said earlier esp this old practice of throwing them up and catching them.

Babies have died from it and many more suffered serious damages. You ask how and i'll just say it's because it injures their young brains and you don't want to kill your own child.

Good to know Doc
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by An2elect2(f): 5:55pm On Sep 01, 2015
DrObum:

Ezioku shocked

So mama is wrong! hiann!
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by adedayourt(m): 6:15pm On Sep 01, 2015
DONT DO A QUICKIE IN FRONT OF THE BABY THINKING DEY CANT PROCESS WATS GOING ON
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by Omotayor123(f): 6:39pm On Sep 01, 2015
Well Noted!
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by Omotayor123(f): 6:39pm On Sep 01, 2015
adedayourt:
DONT DO A QUICKIE IN FRONT OF THE BABY THINKING DEY CANT PROCESS WATS GOING ON
Which one is quickie.
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by adedayourt(m): 6:46pm On Sep 01, 2015
Omotayor123:

Which one is quickie.

com lets meet on our ugu tree, i ll show u
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by Omotayor123(f): 6:53pm On Sep 01, 2015
adedayourt:

com lets meet on our ugu tree, i ll show u
shocked shocked badt boy!
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by adedayourt(m): 7:12pm On Sep 01, 2015
Omotayor123:

shocked shocked badt boy!

jus tryna help out dearie wink
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by Kazrem(m): 8:34pm On Sep 01, 2015
omotayor123 se you don read am well. My baby must be healthy o
Re: 6 Things You Should Never Do With A Newborn Baby by Omotayor123(f): 10:45pm On Sep 01, 2015
adedayourt:

jus tryna help out dearie wink
undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Would You Consider Your Spouse Your Best Friend? / Buried Baby Found Alive In Lagos (pics) / They All Mocked Her, Until FG Removed Fuel Subsidy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.