Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,326 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

"Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie (41064 Views)

‘My Wife & I': Ramsey Nouah & Omoni Oboli Turn Cross-Dressers In New Movie / VIDEO: Will Smith Lashed For His Fake Nigerian Accent In Concussion / Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by rugged7(m): 7:56pm On Aug 31, 2015
O boy!
The igbo guy go school ay!!

Dr. Omalu received his MB, BS [M.D.] degree from the University of Nigeria in 1991. He received his MPH [Masters in Public Health] degree in Epidemiology from University of Pittsburgh in 2004. He also received his MBA [Masters in Business Administration] degree from Carnegie Mellon University in 2008. Dr. Omalu holds four board certifications in Anatomic Pathology, Clinical Pathology, Forensic Pathology and Neuropathology. Dr. Omalu is also board certified in Medical Management and is a Certified Physician Executive [CPE].

Dr. Omalu was the first to identify, describe and name Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy [CTE] as a disease entity in football players and wrestlers. He is currently the Chief Medical Examiner of San Joaquin County, California, and is the President and Medical Director of Bennet Omalu Pathology. He also serves as a Clinical Professor and Associate Physician Diplomate at the UC, Davis Medical Center, Department of Medical Pathology and Laboratory Medicine.

Dr. Omalu has testified twice before the United States Congress and has provided hundreds of testimonies as an expert witness in federal courts and state courts across the United States. Dr. Omalu is a member of many professional organizations, including but not limited to the College of American Pathologists, American Society of Clinical Pathology, American College of Physician Executives, American College of Epidemiologists, American Association of Neuropathologists, American Academy of Forensic Sciences, National Association of Medical Examiners, International Academy of Pathology and American Medical Association.

4 Likes

Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by rugged7(m): 8:08pm On Aug 31, 2015
"Yes, I was a young, insignificant person, a nobody, but in my intellectual engagement or intercourse with them I found out that they were not in control of the subject better than I was. I realized that, hey, Bennet, you may actually know this subject better than these people who are the powers that be"

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sports/league-of-denial/the-frontline-interview-dr-bennet-omalu/

1 Like

Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by bukster(f): 8:09pm On Aug 31, 2015
Chinom:

Not a Biafran. But proudly Igbo. Does Buhari have a Nigerian accent ?. Does OBJ have a Nigerian accent?. Maybe you should try to answer these questions. Maybe you will understand what I mean.

Dr. Omalu would speak with an Igbo accent.
There's no such thing as a British accent either. Scottish, Welsh and Irish people all have different accents from English people. And even within those places, there are many different accents. You wouldn't confuse a Scouse accent with a Cockney one even though they are both in England. The British accent just means all the accents that encompass the United Kingdom just like if someone refers to a Nigerian accent they mean all the accents found in Nigeria which includes, Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba, Fulani, Ijaw, etc.
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by rugged7(m): 8:10pm On Aug 31, 2015
And the white man said to the Nigerian doctor...

"...Yes, some of them actually said that I'm attacking the American way of life. "How dare you, a foreigner like you from Nigeria? What is Nigeria known for, the eighth most corrupt country in the world? Who are you? Who do you think you are to come to tell us how to live our lives?"

-Bennet Omalu, M.D., M.B.A., MPH, CPE, DABP-AP, CP, FP, NP
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by Nobody: 8:12pm On Aug 31, 2015
I thought Chiwetalu Ejiofor , Nigerian born American actor, would have being a more convincing option.

2 Likes

Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by Afam4eva(m): 8:16pm On Aug 31, 2015
Cassidy9:
I thought Chiwetalu Ejiofor , Nigerian born American actor, would have being a more convincing option.

The movie is for the America. Audience, so it doesn't really matter. Plus the doctor is supposed to be highly educated.
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by Zumzum(m): 8:17pm On Aug 31, 2015
The accent isn't Nigerian jjare..He sounds easy African...not authentic enough . we'll see about his acting though
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by Zumzum(m): 8:18pm On Aug 31, 2015
The accent isn't Nigerian jare..He sounds easy African...not authentic enough . we'll see about his acting though
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by Ramos16(m): 8:20pm On Aug 31, 2015
247notire:
Total rubbish u just spewed man. U actually meant it the other way round. NFL is National Football League in America which is for American Football or soccer aka Rugby. So u got ur points upside down sir. Please correct urself.
yeah you do not have to be so aggresive man, i got corrected already, and i took the correction, sorry
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by litetias(m): 8:34pm On Aug 31, 2015
They should have got a Nigerian to act the part. Chinwetel Ejiofor comes to mind.

Very affordable 3 bedroom, 2 bedroom and self-contain apartments in conducive environs in Warri is available for rent.

Just 1 yr upfront payment (Instead of the 2 years most landlords collect).

Contact me via my signature
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by easyelliot(m): 8:52pm On Aug 31, 2015
With the plethora of Nigerian/English actors all over the place you mean to tell me they couldn't get one of them to play a Nigerian??
Will Smith ke?
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by olempe(m): 9:03pm On Aug 31, 2015
Lilyomi:
I thought a typical nigerian who wears agbada sef.
Lol grin
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by Sarpino: 9:05pm On Aug 31, 2015
Ramos16:
we are all carried away by the fact that thd movie deals with Nigeria, but the main subject of the movie is football, i believe this movie is americas way of discrediting the real football (soccer) below the american football. The result presented by this omelu scientist is horrible, because if football can cause that to you, then so can boxing, or rugby etc, but they failed to allow us understand that the main cause is the sudden shock caused by the force from the blow of the football, fist or head-butt respectively. They ve only tried to discredit soccer so that people can start looking at american football as a better option.
My view anyway
Are you sure you did not play the football that causes brain injury?
You are so dumb. undecided
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by Lakeland4321: 9:13pm On Aug 31, 2015
Cassidy9:

He is not americsn but a british actor with nigerian parents, though i agree he would have been perfect for the role. The film 2012 comes to mind
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by adconline(m): 9:30pm On Aug 31, 2015
Ramos16:
we are all carried away by the fact that thd movie deals with Nigeria, but the main subject of the movie is football, i believe this movie is americas way of discrediting the real football (soccer) below the american football. The result presented by this omelu scientist is horrible, because if football can cause that to you, then so can boxing, or rugby etc, but they failed to allow us understand that the main cause is the sudden shock caused by the force from the blow of the football, fist or head-butt respectively. They ve only tried to discredit soccer so that people can start looking at american football as a better option.
My view anyway
Another conspiracy theorist offering his ignorant opinion from his bottomless pit of sophisticated ignorance!!
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by Nobody: 9:33pm On Aug 31, 2015
Lakeland4321:
He is not americsn but a british actor with nigerian parents, though i agree he would have been perfect for the role. The film 2012 comes to mind

glad We share same view abouh that.
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by 247notire(m): 9:34pm On Aug 31, 2015
Ramos16:

yeah you do not have to be so aggresive man, i got corrected already, and i took the correction, sorry
Yo G! No offense meant here, but next tym try to understand b4 commenting.
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by Nobody: 9:36pm On Aug 31, 2015
Afam4eva:

The movie is for the America. Audience, so it doesn't really matter. Plus the doctor is supposed to be highly educated.

it does matter.
and Chiwetalu Am sure is highly educated.
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by Ramos16(m): 9:36pm On Aug 31, 2015
Sarpino:

Are you sure you did not play the football that causes brain injury?
You are so dumb. undecided
wow was it realy necessary to insult me, could you not just say what you had in mind
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by Afam4eva(m): 9:37pm On Aug 31, 2015
Cassidy9:

it does matter.
and Chiwetalu Am sure is highly educated.
I'm referring to the movie character and not the Actor.
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by Ramos16(m): 9:39pm On Aug 31, 2015
247notire:
Yo G! No offense meant here, but next tym try to understand b4 commenting.
hmm, like you never said something that was out of place, keep playing saint
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by Nobody: 9:41pm On Aug 31, 2015
Afam4eva:
I'm referring to the movie character and not the Actor.
okay man, whatever you say. the cake has already been baked.
Am also a fan of Will Smith. remember Hancock?
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by Ramos16(m): 9:42pm On Aug 31, 2015
adconline:

Another conspiracy theorist offering his ignorant opinion from his bottomless pit of sophisticated ignorance!!
i know you had a bad childhood, but it gives you no right to insult people just because you hide behind the internet
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by osesology(m): 9:51pm On Aug 31, 2015
youngice:
he still remains the most versatile black artiste
I think Idris Elba takes that position, not smith
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by 400billionman: 10:01pm On Aug 31, 2015
See him face like jollof rice. ..

grin Dr Omalu from Ofe state
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by bigfrancis21: 10:07pm On Aug 31, 2015
torkaka:
As if the NFL didn't have enough controversy 10 days from the 2015 season opener between the New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers, Sony Pictures just released the trailer for "Concussion," a movie based on the true story of the doctor who discovered the link between football and head trauma.

On the same day NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is scheduled to appear in court opposite Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, Sports Illustrated's Peter King unveiled the two-minute trailer in his weekly Monday Morning Quarterback column, and it doesn't exactly shine a favorable light on the league.

Based on the 2009 GQ article, "Game Brain," the film chronicles the real-life story of Dr. Bennet Omalu (played by Will Smith), the Nigerian-born neuropathologist who discovered chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) — a brain disease brought on by repeated blows to the head — while performing an autopsy on deceased Steelers legend and Hall of Fame center Mike Webster in September 2002.

In the film, Omalu's discovery is met with resistance from the NFL, which correctly viewed his science as damaging to the business of football and allegedly attempted to discredit his work. The conflict of an accomplished man who came to America to pursue his dream, only to be disparaged by those who control the country's most beloved sport, appears to be captured brilliantly by Smith.

The trailer begins with Smith's character saying, "I am the wrong person to have discovered this," and ends with him demanding NFL executives "tell the truth" about a disease believed to be the cause of dementia, memory loss and depression resulting in numerous deaths of football players, including the 2012 suicide of newly inducted Hall of Famer Junior Seau, whose autopsy was also conducted by Omalu.

For anyone who read "Game Brain," the portrayal of the NFL as the film's antagonist should come as no surprise, since Omalu pulled no punches when describing the league's response to his July 2005 study for Neurosurgery entitled "Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy in a National Football League Player."

"I was naive," the doctor told GQ six years ago. "There are times I wish I never looked at Mike Webster’s brain. It has dragged me into worldly affairs I do not want to be associated with. Human meanness, wickedness, and selfishness. People trying to cover up, to control how information is released. I started this not knowing I was walking into a minefield. That is my only regret."

Really, the only surprising aspect of the trailer is that Goodell is played by Luke Wilson, who is apparently going against type after portraying Joe Bauers, the last beacon of intelligence in the 2006 film "Idiocracy."

As for the conclusions we will draw from a film that also stars Alec Baldwin and Albert Brooks, "Concussion" director Peter Landesman addressed any potential controversy in his Q&A with MMQB.

I have no position on whether or not people should play football or whether they should have their kids play football. To me, this is a story about making adult choices. Once you have the information — and the information has been obscured for a long time, it’s been buried and covered up by people who don’t want to damage the sport — the information is now out there and I hope this movie brings together the information in a way that the general public can metabolize and now make their own decisions. So now that you know that concussions can kill you and playing the sport can kill you, it’s on every parent and it’s on every college player, it’s on every high school player and professional player on whether you are going to let your child play. It’s the same with smoking, drinking and doing drugs. I like to think in some ways that life is an occupational hazard. Something we do in our life is going to kill us; maybe now, maybe fifty years from now. You have to choose what those things are. We love to drink and be merry and be happy, we know it’s not good for us, but we do it. It’s about making adult choices.

Interestingly, Landesman said he held a private screening for Chris Borland, who recently retired from the NFL at age 24 over concerns about the effects of concussions, and the former San Francisco 49ers linebacker was visibly "shaken and shaking" after watching his worst fears play out on the big screen.

The film is scheduled to be released for the rest of us in theaters on Christmas Day.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/will-smith-tackles-nfl-cover-up-in-newly-released-trailer-for--concussion-142808849.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk-1TLVUPZk

Wow this is great news for Nigerians and Igbos in particular!

The movie goes a long way to show to the world the ingenuity and hardwork of Nigerians and Igbos wherever they are. The director of IT, Division of IT of my school is Nigerian, Uche by the name, and he calls the shot like a boss. Oyibos love to test his intelligence always but Uche is always 10 steps ahead of them! cheesy

1 Like

Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by Afam4eva(m): 10:08pm On Aug 31, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Wow this is great news for Nigerians and Igbos in particular!

The movie goes a long way to show to the world the ingenuity and hardwork of Nigerians and Igbos wherever they are. The director of IT, Division of IT of my school is Nigerian, Uche by the name, and he calls the shot like a boss. Oyibos love to test his intelligence always but Uche is always 10 steps ahead of them! cheesy
Which school is that?
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by Chrizoby(m): 10:34pm On Aug 31, 2015
adconline:

hahahahaha *laughing in my sleep *

1 Like

Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by MightyFortress: 10:41pm On Aug 31, 2015
What is interesting about that Americal football self? No skillful or aesthetic displays, just heavily built men racing like newly released bulls at the Pamplona bull fight festivals in Spain... I blame the crowds who watch them... Basket ball, Soccer, Gymnastics, I see sumtin to watch.. American football or Rubgy, Zilch!
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by Nobody: 11:31pm On Aug 31, 2015
Ndi igbo, despised in Nigeria, appreciated abroad.

Biafra need not be concrete to be impactful. It has outgrown the ramshackle that is Nigeria.
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by stellytwinkle(f): 11:35pm On Aug 31, 2015
youngice:
he still remains the most versatile black artiste
why wouldnt he be? Sony pictures + will smith= Illuminaticians
Re: "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie by NaijahMann: 11:38pm On Aug 31, 2015
Dr Omalu finished from Federal Governement College Enugu before going to UNN

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Aki and Pawpaw: Chinedu Ikedieze and Osita Iheme / BBNaija: Tacha Clashes With Frodd At Dinner / #AMVCA10: Wale Ojo Wins Best Lead Actor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.