Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,326 members, 7,819,116 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:33 AM

Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? (21840 Views)

"Benin People Owned Lagos, Aworis Paid Royalties To Them" — Erelu Abiola Dosunmu / Some Amazing Facts About The Ijebus / Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by dejavski(m): 10:15pm On Dec 29, 2015
lawani:

To make the matter confound you more, all Yoruba are children of Obafemi Awolowo

In other words we can call them Awoloba?
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by lawani: 11:02pm On Dec 29, 2015
All groups claiming origin from Ife are one. Their name is Yoruba for now but the appropriate name is Ife people. However Yoruba thought says all humans are Ife people, so to distinguish themselves a new name like Yoruba is necessary. The founder of the reigning dynasty is often placed as the father. The last one named Oduduwa was from Mecca, the penultimate may have been Orunmila, then there may have been Ogun too, probably Esu, Sango and etc in antiquity but presently it is Oduduwa, it does not matter if he was Chinese, Japanese or European. The important thing is he was made Oba at a duly recognised Ife.

No modern group are exclusively Ife aborigines. All modern groups have identities that are no more than 1500 years ago. Ijesa, Oyo, Ilaje, Ondo, Awori would sound strange to the hearing of our ancestors. Before all those there were Erinmoje, Ijero, Ire, Aramoko, Ira and many others now defunct. All of us are remnants of people holding on to the tradition of when Earth was first inhabited by dare devil ancient astronauts led by Ogun Lakaye. That first city was the first Ife.

When Humans reach that level of advancement again, we may spot a habitable planet where a patch of continent is portruding above the oceans , we then land there, being among the first set of terrestrial life. That would be Ife, we will land there with tech and know how, blossom then get wiped off as a result of one thing or the other, there may be survivors who will then carry on the traditions while others wander off as nomads. That is how it rolls. The story of the universe.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by GorkoSusaay: 11:39pm On Dec 29, 2015
If you answer "yes" to these three questions, you will have your answer

Do all these groups speak Yoruba/Yoruboid languages?
Do all these groups consider themselves as Yoruba?
Are all these groups considered as Yorubas by the other Yoruboid groups?

By now, you should have a good idea if you are genuinely looking for an answer. To paraphrase a popular maxim: "If it looks like a Yoruba, swims like a Yoruba, and quacks like a Yoruba, then it probably is a Yoruba" grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by NakedEve: 6:56am On Dec 30, 2015
anulaxad:
For crying out loud watch yourself. All the names you've mentioned are just the different dialects of spoken Yoruba, Ijebu for example is an Ogun state dialect.

Please change the name of the thread as you are making it seem like Yorubas are confused people, we are all the same from western Nigeria to Togo.

And please google is your friend.

lol. just like how Igala means have you gone? in Igbo. Yet they r clearly not Igbo.
Don't ask me how I knew pls.

Again google is your friend, Egun is a Yoruba word, Ijebus are famous due to there very powerful YORUBA army, and which Aworis, Aworis are 100% Yoruba, the name means the plate has sunk in Yoruba.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awori_tribe
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by lawani: 7:42am On Dec 30, 2015
dejavski:

Do you know that the Benins were also occupants of ile-ife before?

If everyone in SW are not descendants of Oduduwa why do they generalise the entire SW as egbe Omo oodua? That's the main correction I am trying to highlight here
Benin itself is a Yoruba word so your assertion is self contradictory. Maybe you meant to say Edoid people occupied Ife in the past. Would they be Urhobo, Benin, Afemai, Etsako, Esan, Ogbia and etc? It should be obvious to you that you are wrong. Ancient Ife spoke languages no one can understand today except some Awos who know rudiments of the language of some comparatively recent Ifes.

There is the tendency to believe that the languages of the Yoruboid group are not indigenous to Nigeria because of the large number of words that are cognate with Kemitic Egyptian of 5 thousand years ago but then Yoruba also has a large number of words and expressions cognate with the Igboid group as well as with other adjacent groups. So it is an open question not yet answered for now. But we can safely assume that it is more likely that an old Ife language is more akin to the language known by some Awo in thesame way Catholic priests know Latin. That language should be examined and compared to the Akoko, Igboid and Edoid groups, there will be similarities but they won't be thesame.
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by oyatz(m): 7:13am On Jan 25, 2016
dictbennie:

Oga, before you come here to inform gullible persons here trash here, let me educate you....The Apoi's of ondo state are not yorubas, they migrated from Apoi clan in Bayelsa state just like the Arogbos that migrated from Gbaraun in Bayelsa state...the Apoi's bear Yoruba names nd speak like them because of the influence of their neighbours I.e the ikales and the Ilajes..Even the arogbos include some Yoruba words to the Ijaw dialect they speak...As I am talking to you, the Apoi's have traced their origin to the Apoi clan of Bayelsa state which speak the same dialect ijaw like the Arogbos and have started calling their kids ijaw names..I have a few of them as friends...and a family friend was one of the persons that went to Bayelsa then...That's far the Apoi's are now telling their arogbo brothers that they are not more ijaw than them....The AROGBO IJAWS and the APOI'S are pure Ijaw people.....any Apoi man that denies it, doesn't know his origin...simple!
This type of debate need to take into consideration,the following eternal truths;
1) ALL Human beings are the same.
2) Tribes and Nations are NOT static but very dynamic.For instance 1000 years ago they were no American Nation,Yorubas,Igalas,Swedish Nation or Igbo Nation but they are today because every 1000 years,Tribes/ethnicity are lost and new one are formed.
3) There is no Tribe/ Nation that's formed 100% from one particular sources
4) Everyone comes from somewhere if you border to dig down into History enough.
5) The Yoruba Nation,The English Nation,The Hausa Nation just like any othe big Nations( especially with successful military might to form an Empire in the past) have absorbed and assimilated many peoples from different background.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by Akinduroolawumi: 3:19pm On Dec 30, 2017
I am an Ikale lady from Idepe- Okitipupa..... we are all Yorubas including the Ilaje people. Ikale and Ilaje are just dialects under Yoruba. We follow the general culture of Yoruba even the Yoruba language but the Ikales have some little Igbo and Benin traces. So many people even do tell us we ain't Yoruba cause we don't even look like them (I've met some people like that, some even claimed we originated from Igbo cause we look so much like them.... I mean the Ikales) but anyone from our place claiming not to be Yoruba is just confused. We are 100% Yoruba

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by scholes0(m): 4:33pm On Dec 30, 2017
Akinduroolawumi:
I am an Ikale lady from Idepe- Okitipupa..... we are all Yorubas including the Ilaje people. Ikale and Ilaje are just dialects under Yoruba. We follow the general culture of Yoruba even the Yoruba language but the Ikales have some little Igbo and Benin traces. So many people even do tell us we ain't Yoruba cause we don't even look like them (I've met some people like that, some even claimed we originated from Igbo cause we look so much like them.... I mean the Ikales) but anyone from our place claiming not to be Yoruba is just confused. We are 100% Yoruba

Isn‘t that what makes Yoruba a wide and diverse ethnic group?
How can anyone expect an ethnic group of 40 million to all look like the same thing?

Funniest thing I have read in a while.

Btw- there is no “Igbo trace” in Ikale

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by jara: 4:55pm On Dec 30, 2017
You all know the op is just trying to ferment trouble, divide and conquer who?

These chedren no go stop.

5 Likes

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by OlaoChi: 4:32am On Dec 31, 2017
jara:
You all know the op is just trying to ferment trouble, divide and conquer who?

These chedren no go stop.

The op is a shameless goat. Even lying about a co-worker

2 Likes

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by dreamwords: 8:15pm On Feb 14, 2019
tongue
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by diplomat058(m): 1:17pm On Mar 14, 2020
Having read through the pages of this legendary thread, I dare say that the Yoruba solidarity is still very much manifest, regardless of external threats and internal insurrections.

Ile Oodua a gbe gbogbo Omo Kaaro Ojiire,

Aase

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by Simbrixton(m): 11:35am On Mar 16, 2020
diplomat058:
Having read through the pages of this legendary thread, I dare say that the Yoruba solidarity is still very much manifest, regardless of external threats and internal insurrections.

Ile Oodua a gbe gbogbo Omo Kaaro Ojiire,

Aase
my guy i believe u lways

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by diplomat058(m): 1:25pm On Mar 16, 2020
Simbrixton:
my guy i believe u lways
Lols.
Thanks bro
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Mar 16, 2020
anulaxad:
For crying out loud watch yourself. All the names you've mentioned are just the different dialects of spoken Yoruba, Ijebu for example is an Ogun state dialect.

Please change the name of the thread as you are making it seem like Yorubas are confused people, we are all the same from western Nigeria to Togo.

And please google is your friend.

Again google is your friend, Egun is a Yoruba word, Ijebus are famous due to there very powerful YORUBA army, and which Aworis, Aworis are 100% Yoruba, the name means the plate has sunk in Yoruba.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awori_tribe

Aworis have said plenty times that they are not yoruba
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Mar 16, 2020
jaymichael:
Even the Apoi Ijaws in Ondo state are very Yoruba.

They are Ijaws.

OBJ only added from to London state from delta state during state creation so that SW can have an oil producing state.
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by jaymichael(m): 1:46am On Mar 17, 2020
Oracle23:

They are Ijaws.

OBJ only added from to London state from delta state during state creation so that SW can have an oil producing state.
I have them as close neighbors in my former neighborhood. We grew up together. One of my younger brothers still lives with them. Their names are Yoruba, their language is a dialect of Yoruba that sounds like Ikale and Ilaje dialect.
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by Nobody: 1:59am On Mar 17, 2020
jaymichael:
I have them as close neighbors in my former neighborhood. We grew up together. One of my younger brothers still lives with them. Their names are Yoruba, their language is a dialect of Yoruba that sounds like Ikale and Ilaje dialect.

They are ijaws.

That I speak hausa doesn't automatically make me a hausa man
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by jaymichael(m): 2:28am On Mar 17, 2020
Oracle23:

They are ijaws.

That I speak hausa doesn't automatically make me a hausa man
Why do you guys call Omoyele Sowore Yoruba man then?

1 Like

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Mar 17, 2020
jaymichael:
Why do you guys call Omoyele Sowore Yoruba man then?

They are all ijaws.
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by jaymichael(m): 12:54am On Mar 18, 2020
Oracle23:

They are all ijaws.
What is the meaning of Omoyele Sowore in Ijaw? Let us start from there.
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by Nobody: 1:45am On Mar 18, 2020
jaymichael:
What is the meaning of Omoyele Sowore in Ijaw? Let us start from there.

Daft.

They are ijaws and not yorubas
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by macof(m): 2:38am On Mar 18, 2020
Oracle23:

Daft.

you didn't answer his question. How is he daft when you couldn't answer a simple but relevant question

1 Like

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by darfay: 3:01am On Mar 18, 2020
macof:
you didn't answer his question. How is he daft when you couldn't answer a simple but relevant question

Egun is not Yoruba
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by jaymichael(m): 9:20am On Mar 18, 2020
Oracle23:

Daft.

Dumbo, just answer the fucking question.

1 Like

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by macof(m): 9:33am On Mar 18, 2020
darfay:

Egun is not Yoruba
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by foxxi4real: 1:17pm On May 06, 2020
All the people who speak a dialect of the Yoruba language are Yorubas, their magratory pattern is another kettle of fish. Awori, Ijebu, Apoi, Ilaje, Ikale are all Yorubas because they speak Yoruba language.

Ilaje migrated from Ife
Ikale mrgrated from Ile-Ife, Ilaje and Bini
Apoi migrated from Ile-Ife to Bayelsa and then back to Ondo (on the return journey to Ile-Ife, they got lost and settled in present day Ondo State)
Ijebu migrated from Waddai (Egypt/Sudan)
Egba migrated from Benin Republic (Ketu)
Akure from Benin
Itsekiri from Ijebu (although they have decided to keep their own unique Itsekiri identity)

The original people that carry the real Yoruba title are people of Ile-Ife, Oyo, Osogbo, Ogbomosho, Offa, original Inhabitants of Ilorin, the vicinities of these latter towns.

Ogu (Egun) people are not Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by Olu317(m): 3:46pm On May 15, 2020
lawani:
All groups claiming origin from Ife are one. Their name is Yoruba for now but the appropriate name is Ife people. However Yoruba thought says all humans are Ife people, so to distinguish themselves a new name like Yoruba is necessary. The founder of the reigning dynasty is often placed as the father. The last one named Oduduwa was from Mecca, the penultimate may have been Orunmila, then there may have been Ogun too, probably Esu, Sango and etc in antiquity but presently it is Oduduwa, it does not matter if he was Chinese, Japanese or European. The important thing is he was made Oba at a duly recognised Ife.

No modern group are exclusively Ife aborigines. All modern groups have identities that are no more than 1500 years ago. Ijesa, Oyo, Ilaje, Ondo, Awori would sound strange to the hearing of our ancestors. Before all those there were Erinmoje, Ijero, Ire, Aramoko, Ira and many others now defunct. All of us are remnants of people holding on to the tradition of when Earth was first inhabited by dare devil ancient astronauts led by Ogun Lakaye. That first city was the first Ife.

When Humans reach that level of advancement again, we may spot a habitable planet where a patch of continent is portruding above the oceans , we then land there, being among the first set of terrestrial life. That would be Ife, we will land there with tech and know how, blossom then get wiped off as a result of one thing or the other, there may be survivors who will then carry on the traditions while others wander off as nomads. That is how it rolls. The story of the universe.

How is Oduduwa from Mecca ?

Was Mecca in existence when Oduduwa–Dawaodu reign ?

Do you have account of his lifetime in Mecca ?

Is the written pictographs on Opa Oranmiyan Arabic ?

Kindly be well informed when you post so as not to create unnecessary confusion online.

1 Like

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by Toluobaeko11: 12:04am On May 16, 2020
foxxi4real:
All the people who speak a dialect of the Yoruba language are Yorubas, their magratory pattern is another kettle of fish. Awori, Ijebu, Apoi, Ilaje, Ikale are all Yorubas because they speak Yoruba language.

Ilaje migrated from Ife
Ikale mrgrated from Ile-Ife, Ilaje and Bini
Apoi migrated from Ile-Ife to Bayelsa and then back to Ondo (on the return journey to Ile-Ife, they got lost and settled in present day Ondo State)
Ijebu migrated from Waddai (Egypt/Sudan)
Egba migrated from Benin Republic (Ketu)
Akure from Benin
Itsekiri from Ijebu (although they have decided to keep their own unique Itsekiri identity)

The original people that carry the real Yoruba title are people of Ile-Ife, Oyo, Osogbo, Ogbomosho, Offa, original Inhabitants of Ilorin, the vicinities of these latter towns.

Ogu (Egun) people are not Yoruba

Please! Never in your life says Akure migrated from Benin again. It's such a big insult to us to say we the people of Akure migrated from Benin.
Akure migrated from Ile-Ife, and the founder is the grandson of Oduduwa, and I'm a direct descendant. I can charge you to court with this because I don't joke with my history. There was a time the relationship between Akure and Benin was very strong. BUT IT'S SUCH A BIG INSULT SAYING AKURE IS FROM BENIN, I'M FROM AKURE, AND MY ANCESTORS ARE FROM ILE-IFE, and not from Ile-ibinu.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by Maberu: 10:18pm On Feb 21, 2023
Bialegend:

Speak for yourself man! My co-worker will not take that nonsense from anyone that tries to associate him with yoruba.
you bas-tard, who is that your idi-otic co-worker that told you that rubbish. An-i-m-al
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by bundarina: 11:50am On Feb 23, 2023
What a stupid question. But not surprising for some animal on Nairaland. Every other Ethnicity on the planet has subgroups, but it's only the Yoruba that it should be surprising that has them huh. Logic of a Yoruba hating Nigerian bigot. Yes all they're all Yoruba. Just like how the subgroups of Fulani, Igbo, Hausa, Oromo. If Yoruba didn't have subgroups, it would be a fake Ethnicity or a contested Ethnicity. For example that's why Amhara who don't have subgroups are contested as an ethnic group while Oromos who have subgroups are an obvious Ethnicity. I hope I've answered your mumu question.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by BigNev: 12:37am On Apr 27
Please!!! I read someone saying Itsekiris are not Yorubas. He/She doesn’t speak from Itsekiris. As a an Itsekiri man, I confidently say that Itsekiris are Yorubas. Only a man who doesn’t know history, will say Itsekiris are not Yorubas and if you say Itsekirs are not Yorubas then you can confidently say a child can give birth to him/herself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians / Similarities Between The Igbo And Other Eastern Peoples / M-NET FINALLY LAUNCHES AFRICA MAGIC IGBO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.