₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,212,698 members, 4,831,069 topics. Date: Sunday, 24 March 2019 at 01:53 AM

Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? (11786 Views)

"Benin People Owned Lagos, Aworis Paid Royalties To Them" — Erelu Abiola Dosunmu / Some Amazing Facts About The Ijebus / Ijebus Are Not Yoruba !!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by dejavski(m): 10:15pm On Dec 29, 2015
lawani:

To make the matter confound you more, all Yoruba are children of Obafemi Awolowo

In other words we can call them Awoloba?
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by lawani: 11:02pm On Dec 29, 2015
All groups claiming origin from Ife are one. Their name is Yoruba for now but the appropriate name is Ife people. However Yoruba thought says all humans are Ife people, so to distinguish themselves a new name like Yoruba is necessary. The founder of the reigning dynasty is often placed as the father. The last one named Oduduwa was from Mecca, the penultimate may have been Orunmila, then there may have been Ogun too, probably Esu, Sango and etc in antiquity but presently it is Oduduwa, it does not matter if he was Chinese, Japanese or European. The important thing is he was made Oba at a duly recognised Ife.

No modern group are exclusively Ife aborigines. All modern groups have identities that are no more than 1500 years ago. Ijesa, Oyo, Ilaje, Ondo, Awori would sound strange to the hearing of our ancestors. Before all those there were Erinmoje, Ijero, Ire, Aramoko, Ira and many others now defunct. All of us are remnants of people holding on to the tradition of when Earth was first inhabited by dare devil ancient astronauts led by Ogun Lakaye. That first city was the first Ife.

When Humans reach that level of advancement again, we may spot a habitable planet where a patch of continent is portruding above the oceans , we then land there, being among the first set of terrestrial life. That would be Ife, we will land there with tech and know how, blossom then get wiped off as a result of one thing or the other, there may be survivors who will then carry on the traditions while others wander off as nomads. That is how it rolls. The story of the universe.

1 Like

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by GorkoSusaay: 11:39pm On Dec 29, 2015
If you answer "yes" to these three questions, you will have your answer

Do all these groups speak Yoruba/Yoruboid languages?
Do all these groups consider themselves as Yoruba?
Are all these groups considered as Yorubas by the other Yoruboid groups?

By now, you should have a good idea if you are genuinely looking for an answer. To paraphrase a popular maxim: "If it looks like a Yoruba, swims like a Yoruba, and quacks like a Yoruba, then it probably is a Yoruba" grin

2 Likes

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by NakedEve: 6:56am On Dec 30, 2015
anulaxad:
For crying out loud watch yourself. All the names you've mentioned are just the different dialects of spoken Yoruba, Ijebu for example is an Ogun state dialect.

Please change the name of the thread as you are making it seem like Yorubas are confused people, we are all the same from western Nigeria to Togo.

And please google is your friend.

lol. just like how Igala means have you gone? in Igbo. Yet they r clearly not Igbo.
Don't ask me how I knew pls.

Again google is your friend, Egun is a Yoruba word, Ijebus are famous due to there very powerful YORUBA army, and which Aworis, Aworis are 100% Yoruba, the name means the plate has sunk in Yoruba.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awori_tribe
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by lawani: 7:42am On Dec 30, 2015
dejavski:

Do you know that the Benins were also occupants of ile-ife before?

If everyone in SW are not descendants of Oduduwa why do they generalise the entire SW as egbe Omo oodua? That's the main correction I am trying to highlight here
Benin itself is a Yoruba word so your assertion is self contradictory. Maybe you meant to say Edoid people occupied Ife in the past. Would they be Urhobo, Benin, Afemai, Etsako, Esan, Ogbia and etc? It should be obvious to you that you are wrong. Ancient Ife spoke languages no one can understand today except some Awos who know rudiments of the language of some comparatively recent Ifes.

There is the tendency to believe that the languages of the Yoruboid group are not indigenous to Nigeria because of the large number of words that are cognate with Kemitic Egyptian of 5 thousand years ago but then Yoruba also has a large number of words and expressions cognate with the Igboid group as well as with other adjacent groups. So it is an open question not yet answered for now. But we can safely assume that it is more likely that an old Ife language is more akin to the language known by some Awo in thesame way Catholic priests know Latin. That language should be examined and compared to the Akoko, Igboid and Edoid groups, there will be similarities but they won't be thesame.
Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by oyatz(m): 7:13am On Jan 25, 2016
dictbennie:

Oga, before you come here to inform gullible persons here trash here, let me educate you....The Apoi's of ondo state are not yorubas, they migrated from Apoi clan in Bayelsa state just like the Arogbos that migrated from Gbaraun in Bayelsa state...the Apoi's bear Yoruba names nd speak like them because of the influence of their neighbours I.e the ikales and the Ilajes..Even the arogbos include some Yoruba words to the Ijaw dialect they speak...As I am talking to you, the Apoi's have traced their origin to the Apoi clan of Bayelsa state which speak the same dialect ijaw like the Arogbos and have started calling their kids ijaw names..I have a few of them as friends...and a family friend was one of the persons that went to Bayelsa then...That's far the Apoi's are now telling their arogbo brothers that they are not more ijaw than them....The AROGBO IJAWS and the APOI'S are pure Ijaw people.....any Apoi man that denies it, doesn't know his origin...simple!
This type of debate need to take into consideration,the following eternal truths;
1) ALL Human beings are the same.
2) Tribes and Nations are NOT static but very dynamic.For instance 1000 years ago they were no American Nation,Yorubas,Igalas,Swedish Nation or Igbo Nation but they are today because every 1000 years,Tribes/ethnicity are lost and new one are formed.
3) There is no Tribe/ Nation that's formed 100% from one particular sources
4) Everyone comes from somewhere if you border to dig down into History enough.
5) The Yoruba Nation,The English Nation,The Hausa Nation just like any othe big Nations( especially with successful military might to form an Empire in the past) have absorbed and assimilated many peoples from different background.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by Akinduroolawumi: 3:19pm On Dec 30, 2017
I am an Ikale lady from Idepe- Okitipupa..... we are all Yorubas including the Ilaje people. Ikale and Ilaje are just dialects under Yoruba. We follow the general culture of Yoruba even the Yoruba language but the Ikales have some little Igbo and Benin traces. So many people even do tell us we ain't Yoruba cause we don't even look like them (I've met some people like that, some even claimed we originated from Igbo cause we look so much like them.... I mean the Ikales) but anyone from our place claiming not to be Yoruba is just confused. We are 100% Yoruba

3 Likes

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by scholes0(m): 4:33pm On Dec 30, 2017
Akinduroolawumi:
I am an Ikale lady from Idepe- Okitipupa..... we are all Yorubas including the Ilaje people. Ikale and Ilaje are just dialects under Yoruba. We follow the general culture of Yoruba even the Yoruba language but the Ikales have some little Igbo and Benin traces. So many people even do tell us we ain't Yoruba cause we don't even look like them (I've met some people like that, some even claimed we originated from Igbo cause we look so much like them.... I mean the Ikales) but anyone from our place claiming not to be Yoruba is just confused. We are 100% Yoruba

Isn‘t that what makes Yoruba a wide and diverse ethnic group?
How can anyone expect an ethnic group of 40 million to all look like the same thing?

Funniest thing I have read in a while.

Btw- there is no “Igbo trace” in Ikale

6 Likes

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by jara: 4:55pm On Dec 30, 2017
You all know the op is just trying to ferment trouble, divide and conquer who?

These chedren no go stop.

4 Likes

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by OlaoChi: 4:32am On Dec 31, 2017
jara:
You all know the op is just trying to ferment trouble, divide and conquer who?

These chedren no go stop.

The op is a shameless goat. Even lying about a co-worker

1 Like

Re: Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? by dreamwords: 8:15pm On Feb 14
tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

“I Never Said I Am Changing From Oba To Emir” – Oluwo Of Iwoland / A Brief On “moral Decadence: The Nigeria Situation” / Igbo: A Tribe Or A Nation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.