Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,785 members, 7,810,048 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:21 PM

Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights (15569 Views)

LAUTECH Proscribes Indiscriminate Parking Of Vehicles On Its Campuses The Secur / Top 7 Most Beautiful Campuses In Nigeria / Outcome Of ASUU Congress Across Campuses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Olsoo(m): 9:48am On Sep 05, 2015
Nigeria, being the world’s 2nd most religious country –according to Pew Research- with a religiosity percentage of 90; 8% behind Pakistan, practically imbibes “beliefs” into any issue whatsoever, whether it appertains to religion or not: causing unwarranted obsession, discrimination, racism, and misuse of power. Education, Job acquisition, Lifestyle, and many more areas have all been affected by this ludicrous menace. No, not religion, nor its propagation, but the means and manners through which it is being propagated everywhere in Nigeria: Campuses being my major concern.

Nigerian campuses will forever remain one of the beautiful places any Nigerian youth can ever be. The warmth, the diversity, the experience, the escapades, the environs, the freedom etc. It’s just so lovely and always full of life. But despite all these, certain elements tend to render the experience a jeopardy.

Talk about Management Induced Religious Propagation, which I couldn’t help but to realise, during the course of my research, that this is gradually becoming a trend amongst Privately owned institutions. Anyone that keeps abreast of the education sector will agree with me on this. We all heard about a particular private University located somewhere in Abuja that suspended more than a thousand student for refusing to attend the “mandatory” chapel that seems to be, literally, of immense relevance than their primary objective on campus. Primary objectives that have little or no punishment whatsoever attached to its negligence. Funny isn’t it?

In the same vein, a one time “Best University” in the country situated in Ogun state as I learnt, mandated chapel attendance to all her students, irrespective of their religious background. Not even caring whether the students believe in God, Christ or even Jesus. What happened to rights to freedom of expression? Now before the thought that I’m Anti-Christ starts spring tiding, it is with great pleasure that I use the next paragraph to neap tide that. I’m just being anti-wrong.

In the course of some projects, I found myself in the Northern region of this beautiful country. North Central; for the purpose of precision. Along the line, the need to see an old friend initiated an impromptu journey to a private institution in the state. Getting to the campus, the view of every female student on “hijab” wowed me. Out of all important issue my friend and I had to discuss, the hijab issue came second to none. Behold, it was a rule that isn’t taken as a joke by the school authority. Muslim or Non-Muslim, you wear the hijab.

Students are no saints either. In fact, they showcase the most surprising religious propagation abuse I have ever witnessed. I will share one of the numerous experiences. I was somewhere off-campus but needed to get back on campus. I flagged a taxi, sat next to the driver, plugged my earpiece into both ears –my usual routine in any taxi- at the same time surfing the net as we zoomed off. Two minutes into the journey, I felt a tap on my shoulder. It turned out to be a guy offering me a flyer, which I politely turned down.

Seconds later, he rudely interrupted the music I was deeply into by unplugging my earpiece and began spewing chunks of talks about me being an unbeliever and how I sin against God daily without seeking to be forgiven through the right path. I was grossly infuriated but I kept my cool. I won’t further unclothe what happened afterwards.

On a concluding note, the use of classrooms or lecture theatres, preferably, for religious gatherings is something I honestly find cumbersome deciphering as right, or wrong. But my best friend, “Mr. Instinct” keeps whispering to me in very loud voices, confuting the idea that it’s not really bad vigorously, giving me reasons to opt for the latter. Churches/Chapels and Mosque were structured in the start for the explicit purpose of worship. Lecture rooms on the other hand, seem to serve numerous roles of a place of lecturing and being lectured, “educationally”, delivering seminars, tutorials etc. Just strictly education, not the abuse they are subjected to.

Of course I support the teaching, practice and propagation of religion executed in a right, appropriate and conflict-free manner. In fact, who am I to move against it. Even my mentor, a man I admire, Mahatma Gandhi in his autobiography vetoed the fact that he was at school for a duration of 10 years and was taught all things, except religion. We just have to strive to get things done in a peaceful manner while at the same time respecting the rights and decision of others. Otherwise, things will continue to go wrong.

Written by: Olanrewaju Sodiq

source: http://www.campusdailies.com/2015/09/religious-propagation-on-nigerian.html?m=0

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by oluwadanie1(m): 10:10am On Sep 07, 2015
When you see all these schools forcing people to go to chapel and all, you'll begin to wonder if there's an interpretation to the expression, 'every citizen is entitled to freedom of religion'.

Well, this is Nigeria.

Lalasticlala ishilove seun

thumbs up op

10 Likes

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Ishilove: 10:24am On Sep 07, 2015
Interesting. However, if you know you can't conform, don't go to such schools. I as a Christian will not go to a school where the hijab is enforced, and I'm sure the vice versa pertains to the muslims.

If you can't conform, find an alternative because most private schools in Nigeria are built on the foundation of their own unique ideologies.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Bonapart(m): 10:29am On Sep 07, 2015
Mr op , you're a true definition of wailer
Park well before omega bim pluck off your teeth

I will say this to you again and again Christianity is not a religion but a relationship.... we are in a relationship with our HEAVENLY FATHER

Thanks for not quoting me

13 Likes

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by freesinzu(m): 10:29am On Sep 07, 2015
Exactly, and its killing us,

3 Likes

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Nobody: 10:30am On Sep 07, 2015
Olsoo:

source: http://www.campusdailies.com/2015/09/religious-propagation-on-nigerian.html?m=0

cc: seun
lalasticlala
fynestboi
oluwadanie1
Richiez, olawalebabs

Religion na politics!

3 Likes

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by superior1: 10:31am On Sep 07, 2015
If you can't conform don't buy their form

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Nobody: 10:31am On Sep 07, 2015
A religion that was handed down by the slave masters can never improve the lives of the ex slaves but keep them tied and married to their chains.

Christianity happens to be the ancient Mithra religion anyway. Mithra was an European religion long before Jesus and his punishment on the cross. I hope it gets wiped out from Africa soon

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by youngice(m): 10:31am On Sep 07, 2015
if you can't conform don't attend any of those schools

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by biggybanty7(m): 10:31am On Sep 07, 2015
Vote prince Abubakar Audu as Kogi next Governor,APC change
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by lekjons(m): 10:31am On Sep 07, 2015
only in Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Nobody: 10:32am On Sep 07, 2015
Its everywhere including US and SA

1 Like

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Evaromantik(m): 10:32am On Sep 07, 2015
Thats the consequences of overzealousness in religion...........Africa is so religious,even the whiteman that brought us christianity goes to church no more,while we have lost our original religion to them................Europeans really underdeveloped Africa

3 Likes

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by NinaArsenal(f): 10:32am On Sep 07, 2015
Ok
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by driand(m): 10:33am On Sep 07, 2015
K but the real problem with nigeria ain't religion, it's ethnic diversity, and it affects every aspect of our unity, ever section of our economy, religion just complements our ethnic diversity and makes it more agreeable the Nigeria was never meant to be one,

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by wunmi590(m): 10:33am On Sep 07, 2015
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by efilefun(m): 10:33am On Sep 07, 2015
cool
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by TheNextAce: 10:33am On Sep 07, 2015
Hmmmmmm. Not cool though
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Nobody: 10:33am On Sep 07, 2015
Religion is the opium of the people. We use it to deceive ourselves.

5 Likes

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Richie0974: 10:34am On Sep 07, 2015
Am a Christian.... But what infuriates me about this thing is.... When you go for evening class only to be interrupted 30 mins later by dome people shouting 'claiming to pray' while disturbing others even when its during exam period claiming to speak in tongues sometimes you get so frustrated that you just have to go back home and when you ask them to leave the place or reduce their voice they say the school authority has given them permission to use the place.... For crying out loud does the school authority not know other people want to read...

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by film2(m): 10:34am On Sep 07, 2015
v
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by adesegun121(m): 10:34am On Sep 07, 2015
Ok
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Nobody: 10:34am On Sep 07, 2015
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Thatitan234(m): 10:34am On Sep 07, 2015
lots of disturbances here and there in the name of religion.

2 Likes

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Milly02(m): 10:34am On Sep 07, 2015
very disgusting
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by PassingShot(m): 10:34am On Sep 07, 2015
Ishilove:
Interesting. However, if you know you can't conform, don't go to such schools. I as a Christian will not go to a school where the hijab is enforced, and I'm sure the vice versa pertains to the muslims.

If you can't conform, find an alternative because most private schools in Nigeria are built on the foundation of their own unique ideologies.
Not when students were not informed of the compulsion in adhering to the school's religion doctrines.

In most cases, the students didn't know they had to strictly abide by the school's doctrine before they were admitted.

Besides, the primary objective of schools should be to impart knowledge and good character.

5 Likes

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by praisekeyz(m): 10:35am On Sep 07, 2015
Alright Add me I'm praise23AD4881
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 07, 2015
Annoyin
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Akshow: 10:36am On Sep 07, 2015
Ok
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Idrismusty97(m): 10:36am On Sep 07, 2015
Muslim or Non-Muslim, you wear the hijab.
Please name that Northern school.

3 Likes

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Onlygpk22: 10:36am On Sep 07, 2015
[quote author=Ishilove post=37756904]Interesting. However, if you know you can't conform, don't go to such schools. I as a Christian will not go to a school where the hijab is enforced, and I'm sure the vice versa pertains to the muslims.

If you can't conform, find an alternative because most private schools in Nigeria are built on the foundation of their own unique ideologies. P/s go to A B U zaria and see for ur self

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

We will shut down Universities nationwide in 7 days - SSANU, NASU / JAMB Meets With Other Stakeholders To Finalize Sales Of 2017 UTME Form / Delsu 2nd Batch Admission List Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.