Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:50 PM

Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights (15582 Views)

LAUTECH Proscribes Indiscriminate Parking Of Vehicles On Its Campuses The Secur / Top 7 Most Beautiful Campuses In Nigeria / Outcome Of ASUU Congress Across Campuses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Misterdhee1(m): 10:38am On Sep 07, 2015
The best thing that has happened to Nigerians is "religion". this same religion is our major undoing..
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by cold(m): 10:38am On Sep 07, 2015
It sure is
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Harmthe(m): 10:39am On Sep 07, 2015
k
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by dhardline(m): 10:42am On Sep 07, 2015
Hmmm...na wah o
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Lyoncrescent: 10:43am On Sep 07, 2015
I attended babcock uni(Even though i suspect you are referring to covenant uni in your write up) where the church services are held on saturday. I attend church on sundays prior to babcock,but i was fully aware of the practice in the institution since its owned by the seventh day adventist. You must attend services three times a week including the Saturday church service regardless of your religious standing. You can then choose to go for your own church service on sunday or jumat on friday outside the university premises.

Thats the rule. To make a compelling argument that such rules shouldn't be in place is difficult and not to abide to such rules is also impossible because you are fully aware before admission.

2 Likes

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Alpha100(m): 10:43am On Sep 07, 2015
Life outside Christ is crisis. Bless those that brought the knowledge of God to our doorsteps. The best gift a man can have is SALVATION.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Rapmoney(m): 10:44am On Sep 07, 2015
Bonapart:
Mr op , you're a true definition of wailer
Park well before omega bim pluck off your teeth

I will say this to you again and again Christianity is not a religion but a relationship.... we are in a relationship with our HEAVENLY FATHER

Thanks for not quoting me
Your reasoning is so myopic!!!

1 Like

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Montaque(m): 10:44am On Sep 07, 2015
Religion is a dicey issue in Nigeria. Even with constitutional provision against forcing people to practice a certain religion approved by the school authority, it is often not the case in real life.
and the government both at the federal and state are docile in helping the matter.
even now.. Most public schools in sokoto state and zamfara makes it mandatory for pupils and students to garb themselves in hiJab Irrespective of ur believe. And this is done with approval from the ministry of education.
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by oluwadanie1(m): 10:45am On Sep 07, 2015
Ishilove:
Interesting. However, if you know you can't conform, don't go to such schools. I as a Christian will not go to a school where the hijab is enforced, and I'm sure the vice versa pertains to the muslims.

If you can't conform, find an alternative because most private schools in Nigeria are built on the foundation of their own unique ideologies.

errm, what if there are other admirable features of the school like standard facilities of which other schools don't have.

Would you because of this not go to such schools?
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by TaoBalinga: 10:46am On Sep 07, 2015
Idrismusty97:
Please name that Northern school.
al hikmah university, ilorin
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by delectablegyal(f): 10:46am On Sep 07, 2015
Ishilove:
Interesting. However, if you know you can't conform, don't go to such schools. I as a Christian will not go to a school where the hijab is enforced, and I'm sure the vice versa pertains to the muslims.

If you can't conform, find an alternative because most private schools in Nigeria are built on the foundation of their own unique ideologies.

Ishilove, so we are free to abuse u as we like now, no ban?

This girl can ban, I nvr see mod wey ban reach her.
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by missKiffy(f): 10:49am On Sep 07, 2015
You do have a point
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Idrismusty97(m): 10:49am On Sep 07, 2015
TaoBalinga:

al hikmah university, ilorin
From the name itself it is an Islamic school. Why would a Christian attend Islamic school and still be complaining of their mode of dressing. It's like a Muslim complaining of going to church forcefully in the Covenant University. Apart from educating some of the schools are set up to uphold Christian or Muslim morals/values.

2 Likes

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Arijosh(m): 10:53am On Sep 07, 2015
Evaromantik:
Thats the consequences of overzealousness in religion...........Africa is so religious,even the whiteman that brought us christianity goes to church no more,while we have lost our original religion to them................Europeans really underdeveloped Africa
Those that you should not go to Church?
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by TaoBalinga: 10:54am On Sep 07, 2015
Idrismusty97:
From the name itself it is an Islamic school. Why would a Christian attend Islamic school and still be complaining of their mode of dressing. It's like a Muslim complaining of going to church forcefully in the Covenant University. Apart from educating some of the schools are set up to uphold Christian or Muslim morals/values.
ok, moti gbo
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Arijosh(m): 10:56am On Sep 07, 2015
Browse it and you will know that I Northern Federal University, there is no Church in Just One.......

1 Like

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by IAMWEALTHY: 10:59am On Sep 07, 2015
The most religious nation and still no love for one another. No respect for human dignity and rights. A lot of people on this forum claim to know Christ but they hate their fellow Nigerians. Some say we are Yoruba or Housa, and others say they are Igbos. Which way are we? So many peopls come to the forume to preach tribal bigotry instead of reasoning together on how to move our country forward, and also compete with the western world. When we leave Nigeria people see us as Nigerian and not Igbos or Yorubas. When a certain ethnic group commit a crime, they do not see ethnic groups but Nigeria. Is it not funny how some westerners might call one of us a black African nigga and it will hurt, but back home in Nigeria where we should come together and stand up for each other we are claiming how our tribe is better than others? This is a total shame. What good example are we laying for next generation? Why are we praying to God for a way forward while all we do is lay a foundation of hate, anger, superioriority, tribalism, and disdain? All tribes commit crimes. All tribes have one problems or the other. God hates this division nonsense. Same person was telling me I must be born again at the same time cursing one particular group out. God is not a fool for bringing people with totally different customs and tradition together. Until we come together and love one another should we reach a destined place God has for our nation, Nigeria. Please spraid the word, speak against tribalism, stand against ethnocentrism.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Nobody: 11:05am On Sep 07, 2015
Bonapart:
Mr op , you're a true definition of wailer
Park well before omega bim pluck off your teeth

I will say this to you again and again Christianity is not a religion but a relationship.... we are in a relationship with our HEAVENLY FATHER

Thanks for not quoting me

Is that what they call it now? Next time you are asked to fill a form and it says religion...skip it

3 Likes

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Evaromantik(m): 11:07am On Sep 07, 2015
Arijosh:
Those that you should not go to Church?
going to church is nothing but knowing and worshiping God matters............i dnt know about you but as for we igbos,we have known God,worships God and keeps his laws before the arival of the white.........they came to us and even adopt the name we use in reference to God i.e "Chukwu" which means "God the almighty"

1 Like

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by IAMWEALTHY: 11:10am On Sep 07, 2015
IAMWEALTHY:
The most religious nation and still no love for one another. No respect for human dignity and rights. A lot of people on this forum claim to know Christ but they hate their fellow Nigerians. Some say we are Yoruba or Housa, and others say they are Igbos. Which way are we? So many peopls come to the forume to preach tribal bigotry instead of reasoning together on how to move our country forward, and also compete with the western world. When we leave Nigeria people see us as Nigerian and not Igbos or Yorubas. When a certain ethnic group commit a crime, they do not see ethnic groups but Nigeria. Is it not funny how some westerners might call one of us a black African nigga and it will hurt, but back home in Nigeria where we should come together and stand up for each other we are claiming how our tribe is better than others? This is a total shame. What good example are we laying for next generation? Why are we praying to God for a way forward while all we do is lay a foundation of hate, anger, superioriority, tribalism, and disdain? All tribes commit crimes. All tribes have one problems or the other. God hates this division nonsense. Same person was telling me I must be born again at the same time cursing one particular group out. God is not a fool for bringing people with totally different customs and tradition together. Until we come together and love one another should we reach a destined place God has for our nation, Nigeria. Please spraid the word, speak against tribalism, stand against ethnocentrism.

1 Like

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 07, 2015
The church is marching on!
Need anything from Jumia? Contact me now!

1 Like

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Olsoo(m): 11:14am On Sep 07, 2015
Ishilove:

I truely respect ur idea and have also thought of it as well. But what do you do when you are all about quality education, which the schools mentioned provides, than their practices of enforcing religion on people?

1 Like

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Treasure88: 11:16am On Sep 07, 2015
ifeness:
A religion that was handed down by the slave masters can never improve the lives of the ex slaves but keep them tied and married to their chains.

Christianity happens to be the ancient Mithra religion anyway. Mithra was an European religion long before Jesus and his punishment on the cross. I hope it gets wiped out from Africa soon
yes! u can also join boko haram sir, Dats if u not one already. christainty has never preached violence. get DAT into ur hippocampus!

1 Like

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by speedyGonzales: 11:16am On Sep 07, 2015
This is what is limiting Nigeria, too much believe in religion. and some supernatural beings... it limits the progress of science and intellectual accomplishments, in a country where there are more pastors than scientifically literate people, this is why we will always lag behind the West and Asian countries because we waste time worshiping none existence supernatural beings than studying and pursuing critical and verifiable knowledge. religion is too inconsistent and contain too much unverifiable information, but a science fact is always true when the exact situations are replicated. I want religion out of schools (practice your religion with your god, in your own time) and real science education for Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Opengates(m): 11:17am On Sep 07, 2015
ifeness:
A religion that was handed down by the slave masters can never improve the lives of the ex slaves but keep them tied and married to their chains.

Christianity happens to be the ancient Mithra religion anyway. Mithra was an European religion long before Jesus and his punishment on the cross. I hope it gets wiped out from Africa soon

Olorun ju e lo ( God is greater than you). Christ is the hope of glory
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by speedyGonzales: 11:26am On Sep 07, 2015
Opengates:

Olorun ju e lo ( God is greater than you). Christ is the hope of glory

Do you know in america racist white people use the bible to justify racism and why black people should be slaves to white people? religions are fill with fundamental problems and the idea's contain within them are too primitive of human societies in the 21st century. before now did you know that past pope's ordered the killing of numerous people because they believed that the earth revolved around the sun? calling it a crime against god. but today it is taught in schools as a fact.

religion is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by naijathings(m): 11:28am On Sep 07, 2015
Christianity these days na wah oh.
Religion as a whole is really sickening.

it is not a sin as long as it is not listed in the Bible or Quran as a SIN.
the common sense of RIGHT or WRONG, GOOD or BAD don't seem to exist anymore.

people whose gathering only seem to be engineered to judge each other and show off on self righteousness.

1 Like

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Ishilove: 11:31am On Sep 07, 2015
Olsoo:

I truely respect ur idea and have also thought of it as well. But what do you do when you are all about quality education, which the schools mentioned provides, than their practices of enforcing religion on people?
That's a very salient question. What does one do in this situation?

The government has a lion share of the blame because they have been unable to provide qualitative alternatives for the populace
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by Ishilove: 11:34am On Sep 07, 2015
PassingShot:

Not when students were not informed of the compulsion in adhering to the school's religion doctrines.

In most cases, the students didn't know they had to strictly abide by the school's doctrine before they were admitted.

Besides, the primary objective of schools should be to impart knowledge and good character.
I disagree. Schools like Covenant and Babcock give students and parents alike orientation before they pay the acceptance fee. Besides, aren't they supposed to conduct due diligence before accepting the offer of admission into schools like these?

1 Like

Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by MsGlobalwonder(f): 11:41am On Sep 07, 2015
Ok. But what exactly is your grouse? From the little I know about the religious Institution, it is certain they were fore-warned. They read the rules and signed to abide by them solemnly. Unless you prove that they are doing it under duress and they are totally oblivious of the "rules" from day1 then there is no issue here.
OAU then (not sure about now) was acclaimed the most religious campus in the world because students (whatever religion and denomination) find expression and are free to be what they wanna be. Isn't it supposed to be encouraged? I mean, their freedom of association I think religion is personal and should be left like that.
Re: Religious Propagation On Nigerian Campuses: Infringement Of Rights by GodMode: 11:46am On Sep 07, 2015
Alpha100:
Life outside Christ is crisis. Bless those that brought the knowledge of God to our doorsteps. The best gift a can have is SALVATION.

The same god that conquered and killed africans is the same god you expect salvation from

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Get a Scholarship With My SAT? / We will shut down Universities nationwide in 7 days - SSANU, NASU / 7 Female Students Fell Into A Well At Ambrose Ali Uni, Ekpoma. 2 Died

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.