Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,082 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone (27146 Views)

Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku / "Igbo Are The Majority In Nigeria, They Cannot Leave"- Okorocha / Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by Nobody: 3:10pm On Sep 05, 2015
Yorubas again. They are always scavenging and destroying.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by zendy: 3:12pm On Sep 05, 2015
AlPeter:

there are no indigenous Igbos in Edo

The Igbanke people of Edo state are Igbo speaking people
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by mayorchelsea(m): 3:17pm On Sep 05, 2015
patrick89:

Are ijebus yoruba?
are aworis yoruba?
are Egun yoruba?
if ekiti people are the same with egba why did awolowo discriminate against them? why did he give the ekiti people only useless courses to study? course like yoruba, culture, religion etc.. while he gave egbas doctor, engineers accountant etc! this is the main reason why we have highest number of professors in ekiti!!
It's pretty obvious what you are trying to do,keep it up.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by asamaigho(m): 3:30pm On Sep 05, 2015
NaijaTalkTown:
Ijaw for real men. They are also the strongest politically in the whole of the south after the Yorubas.

i think d ijaws are large,but efik ,ibibio benin are large aswell.
but to say d ijaws are strongest politically is laffable,....jona stumbled into power under wings of obj,and not by ijaw political "prowes".
but i must agree they got a political boost from their six years presidential adventure...although dat is being reduced by buharis govt.

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by Classicool(m): 3:43pm On Sep 05, 2015
Enahi:
Hi dafty stop twisting histroy, the head of the dead ile-ife oba is usually burid in Benin and that was several centuries ago. Please no tribe wants to be part of Yoruba or Igbo you guys are too racist and uncouth to be associated with.
Lol
Please Re-check your so called history.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by basilo101: 3:48pm On Sep 05, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Wrong wrong wrong wrong....

What's d population of Igbos in Edo, Bayelsa, Ak ? re they upto 80,000 ? No

then the Igbos in Delta re over one million, + The ones in Rivers, Wen you sum both they won't be more than 3million, y Urhobo population alone is Over 3Million not including d urhobos in Bayelsa , Not to talk of Ijaw that re more than 5million .

So how is Igbo more popular that Ijaw ?, urhobo ?.. no doubt wen you add The Igbo from SE they re more popular than Ijaw, But as far as SS is concerned Igbo re minority.
Minority? they rule Rivers since forever and currently started ruling Delta, ruling two most populous and economically viable SS states at the moment. a minority cant achieve that

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 05, 2015
asamaigho:

i think d ijaws are large,but efik ,ibibio benin are large aswell.
but to say d ijaws are strongest politically is laffable,....jona stumbled into power under wings of obj,and not by ijaw political "prowes".
but i must agree they got a political boost from their six years presidential adventure...although dat is being reduced by buharis govt.
The Ijaw Nation is not just a slogan, it is an instrument which the Ijaws have successfully used to establish themselves. Jonathan was just a tool.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by pazienza(m): 3:49pm On Sep 05, 2015
The thread is a bit divisive in nature.

If we consider the Efik-Ibibio-Annang-Oron as one entity with a yet to be established common name.

Then it can be safely said that they are the largest ethnic group in AS.

If we are to consider the Igboids ie Rivers: Ikwerres, Etche, Asa, Ndoki, Ogba, Ndoni,Ekpeye,Egbema, Edo: Igbanke, Inyelen, Irun, Ekpon, etc, Akwa-ibom: Ndoki towns, Cross Rivers: Abi LGA( can we consider the Agbos of Abi as Igbos?), Delta : Ika, Ukwuani, Oshimili, Aniocha.

If we consider all these Igbo speaking groups as Igbos, then Igbos might be giving Ijaw speaking groups a run for that second spot.

So for me, the arrangement is:

1,Annang-Efik-Ibibio-Oron
2, Ijaw
3, Igbo

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by Nobody: 3:57pm On Sep 05, 2015
Why is it that the Igbos in delta state are always keen to let everyone know that they are unique in their Igboness. And they chose to do this by always changing their name whenever the name of their state changes, before they used to be called "bendel Igbos" and now it's "Delta igbos". Does it mean if the name of their state is changed to "Hausa" they'll become "Hausa Igbos"?

4 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by Nobody: 3:57pm On Sep 05, 2015
Why is it that the Igbos in delta state are always keen to let everyone know that they are unique in their Igboness. And they chose to do this by always changing their name whenever the name of their state changes, before they used to be called "bendel Igbos" and now it's "Delta igbos". Does it mean if the name of their state is changed to "Hausa" they'll become "Hausa Igbos"?

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by pazienza(m): 4:07pm On Sep 05, 2015
Double post
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by cheruv: 4:10pm On Sep 05, 2015
patrick89:

ijebu are not yoruba and they can never be! they are the most industrious in SW. Egun are like hausas in the North they don't even go to school, they very backward! while aworis have missed with slaves deported from Brazil.
kwara people are not yoruba. The name of the king of Ife is different from the king of lagos(meanwhile it is bini territory) in ogun state, egba is the most educated.. they are not like bush people from ijesha or greedy people of ijebu..
Thanks for the enlightenment.. smiley
Its now official.. SW has 4 ethnicities
Yoruba
Ijebu
Awori
Ogu

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by pazienza(m): 4:11pm On Sep 05, 2015
Iykopee:

^^^^ bros do they have igbo speaking people in akwa ibom state? I simply think ijaws are the big weight of the SS.

http://theinknewspaper..com.ng/2014/08/aksg-to-commence-free-education-at.html?m=1
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by AlPeter: 4:13pm On Sep 05, 2015
zendy:

The Igbanke people of Edo state are Igbo speaking people
there are yoruba speaking folks In EDO STATE does that make them Yoruba?

3 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by AlPeter: 4:16pm On Sep 05, 2015
cheruv:

Thanks for the enlightenment.. smiley
Its now official.. SW has 4 ethnicities
Yoruba
Ijebu
Awori
Ogu

what Language do they all speak and what names do they bear, what of culture? No mind the guy saying things he does't know Yack about

4 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by pazienza(m): 4:17pm On Sep 05, 2015
AlPeter:

there are yoruba speaking folks In EDO STATE does that make them Yoruba?

There are no Yoruba speaking people in Edo. Stop the madness already.

Akoko Edos don't speak Yoruba or Yoruboid languages.
Don't confuse them with the Akokos of Ondo.

If truth be told, Ondo is not really 100% Yoruba speaking, there appear to be some non Yoruba speaking groups in Ondo that over time became "Yorubanized" to a large extent, but still managed to retain their uniqueness.

7 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by Ilekeh(f): 4:21pm On Sep 05, 2015
Why are Igbos scared of this type of thread?

3 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by Ilekeh(f): 4:23pm On Sep 05, 2015
pazienza:

There are no Yoruba speaking people in Edo. Stop the madness already.

Akoko Edos don't speak Yoruba or Yoruboid languages.
Don't confuse them with the Akokos of Ondo.

If truth be told, Ondo is not really 100% Yoruba speaking, there appear to be some non Yoruba speaking groups in Ondo that over time became "Yorubanized" to a large extent, but still managed to retain their uniqueness.

You really don't know Yorubas then. Please stop confusing Yoruba dialects with "a different language". Same way you untravelled ediots claimed Ekiti is different from Yoruba because of the Ekiti dialect.

5 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by Ilekeh(f): 4:24pm On Sep 05, 2015
zendy:
The majority in the SS might be Igbos. Delta-Igbos make up over 30% of Delta state. Rivers Igbos also have 30% of Rivers state. With smaller pockets of Igbos in Edo, Akaibom and Bayelsa, Igbos could be the largest ethnic group in the SS

And all these small small groups want Biafra? From frying pot to fire! grin

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by rudebouy: 4:26pm On Sep 05, 2015
zendy:

Yes there are Igbo speaking people in Akwa ibom from what I have been told. The immediate past Governor of the state is said to be from the Igbo speaking part

Who told you dat? Pls stop swallowing lies from fools around. I am an akwa ibom man and der is no igbo speaking part in akwa ibom. Akpabio only married an igbo woman. And it is only the traders that live close to abia and anambra dat speak igbo becos of dia trade relations with aba boys. Its like saying dose alaba is an igbo speaking part of lagos becos of the influx of anambra traders.

Pls u guys shd stop spewing lies abt akwa ibom. D oda day a guy on facebook was talking abt umuessien in akwa ibom. Na wa oh! Der is no place like dat in my state. Where do all dis lies come from?

5 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 05, 2015
NCP:
Ijaws. They are RIGHTFULLY the 3rd Largest ethnic group in Nigeria followed by the Igbos.
Huh?
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by pazienza(m): 4:34pm On Sep 05, 2015
rudebouy:

Who told you dat? Pls stop swallowing lies from fools around. I am an akwa ibom man and der is no igbo speaking part in akwa ibom. Akpabio only married an igbo woman. And it is only the traders that live close to abia and anambra dat speak igbo becos of dia trade relations with aba boys. Its like saying dose alaba is an igbo speaking part of lagos becos of the influx of anambra traders.

Pls u guys shd stop spewing lies abt akwa ibom. D oda day a guy on facebook was talking abt umuessien in akwa ibom. Na wa oh! Der is no place like dat in my state. Where do all dis lies come from?

Guy, there are few Ndoki-Igbo towns that were put into the old Cross Rivers state during the boundary adjustment programme that the Odua-Arewa "victors" carried out immediately after the civil war to balkanize Igboland.

Ndoki was balkanized into Rivers and Old SouthEastern states( the modern day Akwa-ibom and Cross River
states).

Ohaobu is one of the Ndoki Igbo towns in the present Ukuanafun LGA of Akwa ibom state.

http://theinknewspaper..com.ng/2014/08/aksg-to-commence-free-education-at.html?m=1

Zendy made a mistake though, Akwa-ibom has not produced an Igbo speaking governor, Akpabio was only married to an Igbo woman.

I think he meant to say Liyel Imoke, the immediate past Governor of Cross Rivers, who hails from Abi LGA of cross rivers and from Agbo tribe.
There have been suggestions in some Quarters that Agbo are Igbos, but I had personally examined their language and found it to be more of Ekoid, with few borrowed Igbo words, the people are neighbors to Ebonyi people.
Liyel Imoke Wikipedia page says he is Igbo, don't know why, but I know that Liyel Imoke is married to an Enuani- Igbo woman.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liyel_Imoke
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abi,_Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by princdebola201(m): 4:52pm On Sep 05, 2015
Igbos have turn this thread to tribalistic thread
Why can't they allow south south ethnic groups speak for themselves .

3 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 05, 2015
Yorubas are cursed, that tribe is the problem of the world.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by forgiveness: 4:55pm On Sep 05, 2015
Ika
Total population
Languages
Edoid languages
The Ika people number around 240,000.[1]The Ika people are found in north west Delta State. They share borders linguistically in the west with the Edo speakers, in the north with the Ishan speakers, in the East with the Aniocha language speakers and in the south with the Ukwuani speakers.[2]

4 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by rudebouy: 4:56pm On Sep 05, 2015
pazienza:

Guy, there are few Ndoki-Igbo towns that were put into the old Cross Rivers state during the boundary adjustment programme that the Odua-Arewa "victors" carried out immediately after the civil war to balkanize Igboland.

Ndoki was balkanized into Rivers and Old SouthEastern states( the modern day Akwa-ibom and Cross River
states).

Ohaobu is one of the Ndoki Igbo towns in the present Ukuanafun LGA of Akwa ibom state.

Zendy made a mistake though, Akwa-ibom has not produced an Igbo speaking governor, Akpabio was only married to an Igbo woman.

I think he meant to say Liyel Imoke, the immediate past Governor of Cross Rivers, who hails from Abi LGA of cross rivers and from Agbo tribe.
There have been suggestions in some Quarters that Agbo are Igbos, but I had personally examined their language and found it to be more of Ekoid, with few borrowed Igbo words, the people are neighbors to Ebonyi people.
Liyel Imoke Wikipedia page says he is Igbo, don't know why, but I know that Liyel Imoke is married to an Enuani- Igbo woman.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liyel_Imoke
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abi,_Nigeria

That was how ur ppl sed that etches are igbo. Well, we were in etche yesterday for a biz transaction. I now remembad and asked the chiefs and youths in the townhall meeting and day all denied being igbo. Day even asked me to show dem the person dat sed so, and I told dem to cool down dat it was just an internet joke. I was both shocked and embarassed.

Who den is an igboman? The man that speaks igbo? Or the one that says he is from igbo and also speaks igbo? Or the one that the igbos claim to be from igbo? Who is really an igbo man?

3 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by princdebola201(m): 5:01pm On Sep 05, 2015
menabadoo:
Yorubas are cursed, that tribe is the problem of the world.

and your flat head brothers keep trooping to the yoruba's curse Land abi..gringrin

Automatically your flat head brothers also share in the Curse Lolgringrin

6 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by bokohalal(m): 5:02pm On Sep 05, 2015
Mogidi:

Edo is not an ethnic group but a state.

One sure way to exhibit ignorance is to assert without evidence.
One sure way to gain knowledge it to ask questions of that of which we are not sure of.

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by pazienza(m): 5:04pm On Sep 05, 2015
rudebouy:

That was how ur ppl sed that etches are igbo. Well, we were in etche yesterday for a biz transaction. I now remembad and asked the chiefs and youths in the townhall meeting and day all denied being igbo. Day even asked me to show dem the person dat sed so, and I told dem to cool down dat it was just an internet joke. I was both shocked and embarassed.

Who den is an igboman? The man that speaks igbo? Or the one that says he is from igbo and also speaks igbo? Or the one that the igbos claim to be from igbo? Who is really an igbo man?

Etche? They even have a place they call Igbo-Etche there.

As for your questions, well you should have asked the Etches that question, since they told you that they are not Igbos. *grins

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by Donarozzi: 5:06pm On Sep 05, 2015
zendy:
The majority in the SS might be Igbos. Delta-Igbos make up over 30% of Delta state. Rivers Igbos also have 30% of Rivers state. With smaller pockets of Igbos in Edo, Akaibom and Bayelsa, Igbos could be the largest ethnic group in the SS

The Igbo of Delta state (Anioma) make up about 33% of Delta state, while the Igbo of Rivers state make up about 80% of Rivers state.

https://www.nairaland.com/552281/80-river-state-igbo-people

https://www.nairaland.com/1584679/river-state-dont-want-ss

https://www.nairaland.com/700671/river-state-should-part-south

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by pazienza(m): 5:07pm On Sep 05, 2015
forgiveness:
Ika
Total population
Languages
Edoid languages
The Ika people number around 240,000.[1]The Ika people are found in north west Delta State. They share borders linguistically in the west with the Edo speakers, in the north with the Ishan speakers, in the East with the Aniocha language speakers and in the south with the Ukwuani speakers.[2]

Did you drink Omo? Where exactly was Ika refered to as an Edoid language there?
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone by bokohalal(m): 5:08pm On Sep 05, 2015
Back to the question asked by the OP. As an ethnic group, Edo is without a doubt, the largest in the South South. If , on the other hand, you are looking for the tribes that make up the ethnic grouping,it should be between the Bini and the Urhobos.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Women Storm Aba In Support Of Ikpeazu, Lampoon Anti-Governor Protesters (Photos / Ngige Apologises To Lawan Over Keyamo’s Uproar On 774,000 Jobs / Army Chief, Yahaya Attends Church Service, Says "We Will Destroy Insurgency"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.