Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,371 members, 7,829,951 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

My Pastor Justified Taking Another Wife With Scripture, Is He Right? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Pastor Justified Taking Another Wife With Scripture, Is He Right? (41754 Views)

Muslims Being Hated Is Also In Line With Scripture / My Pastor Ordered Me Out Of The Church During Sunday Service / Seven Women Taking Hold Of One Man: Iisaiah 4:1 .This Scripture Is fullfilled (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Pastor Justified Taking Another Wife With Scripture, Is He Right? by WinsomeX: 10:50am On Sep 08, 2015
nannymcphee:
Matthew 19:9
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Question: for the man or woman who violates this scripture, can it be said that:

1.they committed adultery

or

they are in a state of adultery

i.e
by remarrying is it just viewed as a one time act of adultery that could be forgiven if forgiveness is sought or God forever views the new union as an adulterous one(so long as they remain together, it can be said they are living in adultery)

Which is applicable pls

Cc
Gombs
Winsomex
Vooks
trustman
BabaGnoni
Candour
mbaemeka
Goshen360

PS:it's been awhile since I had any discourse with most of you, I guess compliments of the season won't be out of place!!! Love y'all

Hello Nanny,

Ive actually moved away from nl debates but I saw the mention.

My position on divorce is that it is not God's will. I'm certain that regardless of the problem, couples can work out every challenge. However there are cases that will demand a divorce: where there is continuance battering, abuses, etc. I believe a minister of God should adjudicate a marriage and in his wisdom determine whether a divorce is appropriate after all solutions have been exhausted. The assumption here is that the minister has arbitrated past conflicts and as an outside party, determine without prejudice, that there are irreconcilable differences.

in a case like this, the couple each should remarry. Lest they fall into sin again.
Re: My Pastor Justified Taking Another Wife With Scripture, Is He Right? by vooks: 11:29am On Sep 08, 2015
nannymcphee:
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Question: for the man or woman who violates this scripture, can it be said that:

or

i.e
by remarrying is it just viewed as a one time act of adultery that could be forgiven if forgiveness is sought or God forever views the new union as an adulterous one(so long as they remain together, it can be said they are living in adultery)

Which is applicable pls

Cc
Gombs
Winsomex
Vooks
trustman
BabaGnoni
Candour
mbaemeka
Goshen360

PS:it's been awhile since I had any discourse with most of you, I guess compliments of the season won't be out of place!!! Love y'all

This is an interesting question that has competing views.

The question actually is inspired by how to remedy the situation. What if a non-believer turns to Christ after chasing/divorcing his wife and remarrying? Should he go back to the first one and leave the current? Or should this adultery sin be among his many that are forgiven?

The answer I believe lies in the spirit and not the letter of these words. The spirit must steer us away from wickedness

If we said the man just sinned and can subsequently repent and be forgiven,we are almost endorsing frivolous divorces which appeared to have been what Jesus was against. Should a Christian walk through sin hoping to repent and be forgiven right after? NO. That's abusing grace

On the other hand, a Christian who remarries knowing remarriage is adultery ought not to remarry instead of remarrying and repenting but 'keeping the goods'

So for me I favor #2
Re: My Pastor Justified Taking Another Wife With Scripture, Is He Right? by cannonnier(m): 3:28pm On Sep 08, 2015
PastorOsamede:
"And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery" (Matthew 19:9). These are JESUS' own words.

Sadly this unstable generation will do everything to justify ill actions. Marriage partner is a choice that bears consequences. Men must learn to live with the outcomes of their choices.

that is a case of divorce not polygamy. lipsrsealed undecided
Re: My Pastor Justified Taking Another Wife With Scripture, Is He Right? by feedthenation(m): 4:59pm On Sep 08, 2015
Moses enacted a legal procedure to protect the wife (cf. Exod. 21:1-11). This legal procedure would have several requirements:

1. it took some amount of time
2. it took a priest or Levite to write it
3. it probably required the return of the dowry
Hopefully, these procedures would give the couple a chance to reconcile.

Biblical marriage is a religious covenant (YHWH Himself was a witness), not just a civil document (cf. Pro. 2:17). We must remember that promises we make in God's name are binding. Marriage among believers is possibly the best human analogy of covenant faithfulness. Another reference can be found in Malachi 2:16, where God emphatically said “he hates divorce”

Jesus confirmed the intent of God for marriage as one man, one woman for life (cf. Matt. 5:31). Anything else is not the ideal. The problem comes in how to balance Jesus' words in this context with His words of forgiveness in other contexts. The standard for Kingdom followers is high, but so too, is the grace of God! In this area a case-by-case approach is better than rigid legal rules.
We should reminded that Jesus commented that all Scriptural teaching on how to live for God is summed up in only two priority statements (cf. Matt. 22:34-40; Mark 12:28-34; Luke 10:25-28):

a. Deut. 6:4 – love God completely
b. Lev. 19:18 – love your neighbour (which surely includes one's family members) as yourself
Surely #b includes one's spouse!

So to the OP, your pastor is very economical with the truth and his interpretation of the passages he read out for justifying his action are very ‘suspect’
Re: My Pastor Justified Taking Another Wife With Scripture, Is He Right? by trustman: 5:38pm On Sep 08, 2015
nannymcphee:

or

i.e

Which is applicable pls

Cc
Gombs
Winsomex
Vooks
trustman
BabaGnoni
Candour
mbaemeka
Goshen360

Some thoughts from a book by Rev. Moses Onwubiko:
"FOCUS ON CHRISTIAN MARRIAGE"

DIVORCE AND REMARRIAGE
The Christian marriage is an extension of the spiritual lives of the spouses. 
Every marriage that ends in divorce is a failure. 

God considers marriage a success, not because it hasn’t ended in divorce, but because husband and wife are on the witness stand together testifying against Satan in his appeal trial.

DIVORCE
Biblical divorce is a grace provision from God for the dissolution of an impossible marriage. Note the word “impossible,” not unpleasant or uncomfortable or imperfect or disappointing but impossible. Divorce is allowed only on the grounds of desertion, including the sexual desertion of adultery and the authority desertion of physical abuse. 
Divorce is never mandated by God but is merely allowed for those Christians who are unable to apply virtue love and forgiveness to their spouses. 

Christian marriages do not fail because of unfaithfulness, financial problems, or irreconcilable differences but because believers fail to execute the plan of God; and the greatest failure in the execution of the plan of God is failure to exercise virtue love. 

Divorce is never a solution to a problem but an escape from a problem. 
Divorce is a sensitive subject. Some theologians and pastor-teachers have tried to explain away the verses dealing with divorce. Others have worked hard to insert their own ideas about divorce into the written Word of God. Still others have ignored the subject altogether. Anyone who wants to do justice to the inerrant Word of God must be prepared to handle the subject of divorce objectively.
When the Lord Jesus Christ performed the marriage of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 2:24, immediately after His creation of Eve), He didn’t intend them to divorce each other. He didn’t intend their future offspring to divorce.
“For I hate divorce,” says the Lord. (Malachi 2:16a)

GROUNDS FOR DIVORCE
God is specific about those circumstances that are legitimate reasons for divorce in Christian marriage: Desertion in its many guises of sexual unfaithfulness and severe physical abuse, including molestation of children and incest. God doesn’t demand divorce in these situations, but He allows it.
​In Old Testament times, Moses gave permission for divorce regardless of the reason because of the hardness of the hearts of Israel, the scar tissue on their souls. Jesus Christ said that these causes were frivolous and tragic. While He discouraged divorce, He recognized that circumstances might make divorce legitimate.

REMARRIAGE
When a spouse dies, remarriage is legitimate.
When divorce is legitimate, remarriage of the innocent party is legitimate.

The victim of a divorce gimmick has the right of remarriage. A husband or wife is the victim of such a gimmick if his spouse is trying to get rid of him.
When a man has taken a wife and married her and it comes to pass that she finds no favor in his eyes because he has found some uncleanness in her, let him write her a bill of divorcement. And when she [the innocent victim of the divorce gimmick] is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man’s wife. (Deuteronomy 24:1-2)
In the divorce gimmick described in these verses, a husband divorces his wife for the express purpose of remarrying. The same criterion applies to a wife who divorces her husband because she has someone else in mind. The divorce gimmick is based on sly self-justification and is a combination of hypocrisy and sinfulness. The guilty spouse wants to marry someone else so he deludes himself into believing that he deserves to divorce his present spouse. The victim of a divorce gimmick is allowed to remarry. The guilty spouse isn’t.
​When spouses divorce, marry another, and again divorce, God does not allow remarriage with the first spouse.

Then her first husband who previously divorced her can’t remarry her since she has been defiled [through having sex with her second husband, which has permanently destroyed the authority of her first husband], for that is an abomination before the Lord. Therefore, you will not bring sin into the land. (Deuteronomy 24:4)

In such a situation, the first husband has lost his authority over his wife to the second husband. He can never regain that authority. Such a remarriage is doomed to failure and, therefore, is denied by God.

God doesn’t forbid marrying a divorced person who was the innocent party; however, caution should be taken. Divorce by its very nature is a sign of inability to handle problems. 

The greatest expert on marriage, the apostle Paul, was never married. He never experienced marriage, but he knew everything about it. The issue is objective doctrine, not experience. Doctrine comes only from the Word of God. When experience contradicts the Bible, the Bible is always correct, and the interpretation of experience is faulty.
Problems in marriage don’t come about in an instant, and they can’t be solved instantly either. Instant and desperate answers are no answers at all. Desperate people are emotional people, and emotional people are irrational. They demand easy solutions that don’t cut into their time and convenient solutions that don’t demand more than they are willing to give. Emotion, an inevitable by-product of human solutions, makes learning, thinking, and solving problems impossible, which increases the problems and leads to divorcement from reality, loss of commonsense and wisdom, and entrance into panic. Emotion is an effect; thinking is a cause. Concentration on Bible doctrine eliminates the disastrous consequences of using emotion to solve problems.

Man is the product of his own bad decisions, but when he refuses to take responsibility for those decisions, he remains in a status of arrogant subjectivity which renders him unteachable no matter how gifted his pastor-teacher.

Virtue is necessary for success in marriage, and virtue is the monopoly of God. The priesthood of the believer demands that he solve his own problems using the inventory of Bible doctrine he has heard consistently from his pastor-teacher, stored in his human spirit, and cycled into his soul.
Re: My Pastor Justified Taking Another Wife With Scripture, Is He Right? by WinsomeX: 8:19pm On Sep 08, 2015
Wow! That's some profound wisdom there by Rev Onwubiko. Who is he, trustman?
Re: My Pastor Justified Taking Another Wife With Scripture, Is He Right? by Drabrah(m): 10:52am On Sep 09, 2015
Debeloved87:
am not trying to justify him, but how should he handle the urges and feelings that will erode him oftentimes, this must have been what led him to the conclusion of taking a new wife..what do you say
Dat's wot he shudda considered b4 sending his wife away, especially 4 d fact dat he's leading a group of people, which automatically makes him a role model to some & which means he isn't living 4 himself alone.
Moreso, marriage is a union btw 2 matured minds. It doesn't take religion to av a happy union. Religion only makes it easier. It takes LOVE & MATURITY. So if a relationship is not working, then 1 or both of these is lacking in 1 or both of the couple.
I'm not trying 2 b 'holier than thou' in this case. In fact, I've gat my own issues too that I constantly seek God's grace to overcome. Buh we don't bend God's Word 2 suit ourselves. On the contrary, we conform to it.
My advice 4 ur pastor is dat he shud bring back his wife & they shud iron out dia differences.
Re: My Pastor Justified Taking Another Wife With Scripture, Is He Right? by Debeloved87(m): 8:37pm On Sep 12, 2015
Drabrah:

Dat's wot he shudda considered b4 sending his wife away, especially 4 d fact dat he's leading a group of people, which automatically makes him a role model to some & which means he isn't living 4 himself alone.
Moreso, marriage is a union btw 2 matured minds. It doesn't take religion to av a happy union. Religion only makes it easier. It takes LOVE & MATURITY. So if a relationship is not working, then 1 or both of these is lacking in 1 or both of the couple.
I'm not trying 2 b 'holier than thou' in this case. In fact, I've gat my own issues too that I constantly seek God's grace to overcome. Buh we don't bend God's Word 2 suit ourselves. On the contrary, we conform to it.
My advice 4 ur pastor is dat he shud bring back his wife & they shud iron out dia differences.
that's very thoughtful, I hope he called her back rather than remarry because the devil may raise his ugly head again and even make him divorce again
Re: My Pastor Justified Taking Another Wife With Scripture, Is He Right? by Drabrah(m): 12:10am On Sep 15, 2015
Debeloved87:
that's very thoughtful, I hope he called her back rather than remarry because the devil may raise his ugly head again and even make him divorce again
Serial Monogamy, that's wot one of my teachers calls that back in sch

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Hajj Stampede: “he Stoned Them Back To Death” – Nigerian Transgender Blames God / Meet Pastor Joshua Momodu: "A Witch Visited My House As Bat" (Video) / Bishop Mike Okonkwo's Confession About First Fruit And Tithe (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.