Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,078 members, 7,818,230 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Nissan Maxima Camshaft Sensor Issues And Going Off On Motion - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nissan Maxima Camshaft Sensor Issues And Going Off On Motion (2610 Views)

1.3 Million Ford F-150 Recalled Due To Doors That May Open On Motion / P0011 2010 Toyota Camry - Camshaft Position 'a' Timing Over-advanced Or System / Changing Exhaust Camshaft On 03 Accord (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nissan Maxima Camshaft Sensor Issues And Going Off On Motion by steveyen(m): 4:02pm On Sep 05, 2015
Okay so I have a Nissan Maxima 2004 and recently it began to stop running while driving.

This has only happened to me while driving less the 25mph never in the freeway.

So Im driving and the car stops running immediately, so it won't accelerate or anything it just stops and the wheel turns really hard and the check engine lights up. But the car is still on like the radio is still playing so I have to put the car to park and turn off the car and turn it on again and it works.

The car is also exhibiting hard starting.

When it was scanned the following codes were pulled from it P1168, P0340, P0037, P0057, P0328, P1051.

The mechanic said it is the camshaft sensor. P0340. When the sensor was changed the car stops the issue. Then after sometimes it started again and it was discovered that another camshaft sensor code is on it again so the sensor has to be changed again.

Any ideas as to what it could be and why the camshaft sensor keeps comiing back

Thanks in advance
Re: Nissan Maxima Camshaft Sensor Issues And Going Off On Motion by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:47pm On Sep 05, 2015
steveyen:
Okay so I have a Nissan Maxima 2004 and recently it began to stop running while driving.

This has only happened to me while driving less the 25mph never in the freeway.

So Im driving and the car stops running immediately, so it won't accelerate or anything it just stops and the wheel turns really hard and the check engine lights up. But the car is still on like the radio is still playing so I have to put the car to park and turn off the car and turn it on again and it works.

The car is also exhibiting hard starting.

When it was scanned the following codes were pulled from it P1168, P0340, P0037, P0057, P0328, P1051.

The mechanic said it is the camshaft sensor. P0340. When the sensor was changed the car stops the issue. Then after sometimes it started again and it was discovered that another camshaft sensor code is on it again so the sensor has to be changed again.

Thanks in advance

some models of nissan are hard to start once the timing chain is loose and the camshaft sensor pop up and the problem after putting a new one you would still find the same problem but for now i would say you find a good mechanic and proper investigation has to be done
Re: Nissan Maxima Camshaft Sensor Issues And Going Off On Motion by inze(m): 9:19pm On Sep 05, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

some models of nissan are hard to start once the timing chain is loose and the camshaft sensor pop up and the problem after putting a new one you would still the same problem but for now i would you find a good mechanic and proper investigation has to be done

. . . you've only succeeded in confusing and compounding the young man's problem
Re: Nissan Maxima Camshaft Sensor Issues And Going Off On Motion by Nobody: 10:12pm On Sep 05, 2015
steveyen:
Thanks in advance
You certainly ignored your SES light for so long. There are two cam sensors in your Max. P0340 for bank 1 and P0345 for bank 2. You've changed the two, and if you got new ones, rest assured that the problem would not keep "coming back."
I presume your odometer is over 120k miles. You might need to also contend with the crank sensor very soon..P0335.
Re: Nissan Maxima Camshaft Sensor Issues And Going Off On Motion by Nobody: 10:29pm On Sep 05, 2015
steveyen:
Okay so I have a Nissan Maxima 2004 and...When it was scanned the following codes were pulled from it P1168, P0340, P0037, P0057, P0328, P1051.
P1168 and P1051 refer to your Air/Fuel ratio Sen bank 2; P0037 and P0057 refer to the o2 sensor banks 1 & 2--i.e., directly below the A/F ratio sen. P0328 is for the Knock sensor. Check to see that the connections have not been disturbed. No serious issues in all, save that your car would be less fuel efficient.
Re: Nissan Maxima Camshaft Sensor Issues And Going Off On Motion by nissparts(m): 1:33am On Sep 06, 2015
If you change both sensors and a cam code returns, timing chain.
Re: Nissan Maxima Camshaft Sensor Issues And Going Off On Motion by steveyen(m): 10:12am On Sep 06, 2015
nissparts:

The P0340 sensor has been changed up til now no issues. Only dt sometimes it do take a Lil long time to start up.
Re: Nissan Maxima Camshaft Sensor Issues And Going Off On Motion by steveyen(m): 10:17am On Sep 06, 2015
Costee:

You certainly ignored your SES light for so long. There are two cam sensors in your Max. P0340 for bank 1 and P0345 for bank 2. You've changed the two, and if you got new ones, rest assured that the problem would not keep "coming back."
I presume your odometer is over 120k miles. You might need to also contend with the crank sensor very soon..P0335.

Thanks so much. The mechanic said the one he changed the other time the other camshaft sensor. He has just changed this P0340 now. The car has stabilised a bit now but I'm still watching if it will stop on motion again.

Yea it's over 120k miles
Re: Nissan Maxima Camshaft Sensor Issues And Going Off On Motion by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 06, 2015
steveyen:

The P0340 sensor has been changed up til now no issues. Only dt sometimes it do take a Lil long time to start up.
Crank sensor. Starter too might be going weak. Don't ignore your SES light.
Re: Nissan Maxima Camshaft Sensor Issues And Going Off On Motion by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 06, 2015
nissparts:
Yes. The chain betrays itself anyway by its whine.
Re: Nissan Maxima Camshaft Sensor Issues And Going Off On Motion by steveyen(m): 8:52pm On Sep 06, 2015
Costee:

P1168 and P1051 refer to your Air/Fuel ratio Sen bank 2; P0037 and P0057 refer to the o2 sensor banks 1 & 2--i.e., directly below the A/F ratio sen. P0328 is for the Knock sensor. Check to see that the connections have not been disturbed. No serious issues in all, save that your car would be less fuel efficient.

The mechanic said I need to replace the catalyst before changing all these sensors he said if not the direct heat from the exhaust will damage the sensors again. And I don't have the money to replace catalyst now.
Re: Nissan Maxima Camshaft Sensor Issues And Going Off On Motion by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 06, 2015
steveyen:

The mechanic said I need to replace the catalyst before changing all these sensors he said if not the direct heat from the exhaust will damage the sensors again. And I don't have the money to replace catalyst now.
"the direct heat from the exhaust." What does this mean? What's the problem with the cat converter? Any codes on it? The worst case scenario, remove the cats. If indeed your cats have gone bad your engine is at risk.

(1) (Reply)

Test Drive Of 2017/2018 Range Rover Velar(Photos) / Audi A4 2.0, 2006 Vs Corrola / stiff gear, jstConfused right now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.