Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,337 members, 7,815,663 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red (23022 Views)

How Buhari Plunged Nigeria Into Recession - Vanguard / Seven Of Buhari's Actions That Led Nigeria Into Recession / Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by jaybee3(m): 1:01pm On Sep 07, 2015
baralatie:

Nigeria economy and Greece are two mutually and constantly different economies.
Greece submitted its economy to European control in exchange for loans(it did not work out in the long run because it no longer had money)
Nigeria is totally different.it is in control of its own money but it is fighting against the forces of external economic influence.this means NIGERIA HAS A CHOICE TO EITHER REMAIN NUETRAL OR TO WIN.
so it is either the govt starts expressing itself to win or it continues to be neutral but it won't hit recession.

I'm aware of all that and was kinda surprised he was a bit clueless on the components of Greece's worries and thus ridiculously compared her challenges to a projection that's only comparable to most if not all leading economies.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by draspi: 1:01pm On Sep 07, 2015
click here to read more https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=834758209976414&id=297737717011802&set=ms.c.eJw9z8kVxCAMA9CO5nnDS~%3B~_NTWJFHD8yMrRHnRqdqYzwX8OWGa4y18iNPsiTbneZKqFn5~%3B3ALbp5Fu3wzePte07oRG40~_ozzz~_adV9qRX5~_1Dl0w~_3W2P5ibIA96~%3ByeVNN7D~%3B7ehT9CXhv3y7U~_L977lyT~%3BPQEhX.bps.a.834757913309777.1073741890.297737717011802&source=48
Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by eaglechild: 1:10pm On Sep 07, 2015
tsdarkside:

as i always said...buhari is a warrior,not an economic...it will realy wonder me if he were good at both....nobody is good in everything....and the economic people,that should be helping him,are extremly corrupt....so what do you want buhari to do??....
I don't understand.

Buhari has been nursing the ambition of leading Nigeria democratically for over a decade.
Now he gets the chance and he is acting like a deer caught in full beam headlights.

He should have had his economic team laid out way before he got into that seat, unless he is just there for quota sake.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by wiseoneking: 1:13pm On Sep 07, 2015
9jii:

Thank God the evil man was kicked out

The whole world is going red.
Eyaah, your saviour could not help you out even after you kicked your so callee Evil man. Now see your life don turn red. TRUST NOT 1N A MAN. Woe is unto a man that trust in a man.
Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by torddy4u(m): 1:14pm On Sep 07, 2015
Cjrane2:
[size=13pt]Chai, from Changii to recession ba?

Diaris God ooo!

Why can't the dulllard accept that he needs a smart economist to run the country?
Person that can't pass Junior high school wants to do complex economic calculations and projection?

Chai, the kwantry called Naigeria has had it.
[/size]

in Korede Bello's voice,, Na GODWIN....

Opinion :
I think we should stop partying, and contribute our part to the growth of the nation. apportioning blames to Gej govt will not help us to grow, but if we can correct some of the previous so called mistakes we can go forward.
Finally, I think is not time to know the educational background of the president, because with what he has he is qualified to rule, that is to say that when the ministers comes up on board, things will be put in place. two brains is better than one.
"i don't belong to any party, but am for everyone "

1 Like

Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by dBard: 1:14pm On Sep 07, 2015
PassingShot:

But we already know that the economic team is almost here. It will come this month if not next week.

I repeat that we are in better position than we would have been had GEJ won. We may never know what we were saved by removing PDP.

Can anyone explain how we would have survived given that loans were taken just to pay government workers in April and May?

The situation was very bad. It is now bad but the future is promising.

I don't want to get drawn into the pdp/GeJ vs PmB/apc argument.
Also, ur missing my point:
The economic experts are aware as we all are of the imminent ministerial appointments and Yet, they're still giving such gloomy forecasts.
That sincerely is worrisome regardless of our political affiliation
Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 1:19pm On Sep 07, 2015
Mastubators do not ike reality so the would neva cum here. Just give dem vasline and they can be made to belive anything.
Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by ElFenomeno1: 1:27pm On Sep 07, 2015
I wont take this too seriously just yet.
Foreign investors are waiting on Govt. direction......
The market price ( i.e. share prices are already at a low) might be low but any positive announcement now will shoot the market upwards so I don't understand where the recession is coming from....
Yes all of these analysts might be using valid indicators and tools, but I think it is insane.... Infact I think it is safe to say we have been in recession for the better part of the year so where is another recession coming from again?

Ist bank stocks used to trade for 13-15naira, is 6.50 naira
Dangote cement traded at a high of about 250 is now 140naira
Nestle are begging shareholders to sell......
All banking stocks are good now.... except Unity Bank

All of these means a positive outlook!
Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by dragon2(m): 1:27pm On Sep 07, 2015
Truth be told.The first 2 quaters(6 months) of the year has been all about politics. Many economists predicted the negative effects the presidential elections will have on our economy so this is not a surprise. Economics took a back burner.
On the current crises,low oil prices,and a bloated civil service from the oil boom period means that many governments on the Federal and state level are strapped for cash.
Restructuring is necessary. Increased productivity by Government staff,possible layoffs, increased government revenue (tax) without hurting private productivity and diversification of revenue is needed to drive the economy in this trying times. Re-introduction of road tolls as a source of revenue may have to be considered if a systemic solution to corruption in that area can be found.

In the long term, the solution to diversification of the Nation Forex income and systemic defeat of corruption lies in the principal pillar of socio-political restructuring of the country. In simple term, we need a true Federation to solve our problems.

EDIT.

Low oil prices are here to stay for a long while,so let us do what has to be done to secure our nation from a violent future. This is because our population is rising as our income is falling,as a result the share of the national cake per citizen is dwindling. Electricity is vitally important.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by Nobody: 1:32pm On Sep 07, 2015
PassingShot:
My candid submission:

1. Given the fact that Nigeria for the first time witnessed a real/true change of government (from one party to another), it is expected that economic activities will slow down within the first few months of the new govt as it takes time to formulate a new direction. This fact is more reinforced when one considers the type of economy the new government inherited. It was an economy that the PDP/FG borrowed to pay its workers in March and April of 2015. Had PDP won, they would have continued the borrowing as crude price slides further.

2. Most of the economic performance figures given in this analysis were for the first two quarters of 2015 which are Jan, Feb, March, April, May and June. Of those six months, Jonathan was in charge for five months. So, if any blame is due for apportioning, it is to GEJ's government.

3. There is surely brighter future for Nigeria given that the new government has shown capacity to block avenues for leakages and wastages as seen with past governments. It is such efforts that have increased our foreign reserves from $29 billion left by GEJ (he met $47.7bn) to above $32bn in just after two months of PMB. It's same efforts that have increased states' and federal allocations for two consecutive months in June and July.

4. As we restructure NNPC and look more in other directions such as mining, improved IGR and farming, our dependence on crude oil which has brought this glooming economic picture will reduce in the coming years; and Nigeria shall return to better outlook.

5. With reduced corrupt business environment, investors' confidence will improve and Nigerian economy will soon start to pick up especially with the incoming new cabinet ministers in this month.

You all represent proof of poor education. Waiting for your usual insults. I am immune to them.

Buhari is not formulating a new direction for nigeria, Rather he is trying to rule alone as a military head of states...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by tsdarkside(m): 1:40pm On Sep 07, 2015
eaglechild:

I don't understand.

Buhari has been nursing the ambition of leading Nigeria democratically for over a decade.
Now he gets the chance and he is acting like a deer caught in full beam headlights.

He should have had his economic team laid out way before he got into that seat, unless he is just there for quota sake.

can you read the minds of peoples??....even your best friend,that you know in 30 years can stll betray you....i dont know how you want to solve this problem.......do you??
Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by gbishman: 1:41pm On Sep 07, 2015
This dudes are funny, are they just realising we are entering recession. We have been in recession for the past years
Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by PassingShot(m): 1:44pm On Sep 07, 2015
dBard:

I don't want to get drawn into the pdp/GeJ vs PmB/apc argument.
Also, ur missing my point:
The economic experts are aware as we all are of the imminent ministerial appointments and Yet, they're still giving such gloomy forecasts.
That sincerely is worrisome regardless of our political affiliation
The experts will only base their prediction on what is currently known. Not on what the policy direction may offer. So, they're right in that sense.

If you read the last paragraph of that report, you will understand that they have hope in things turning around once the cabinet comes on board.

Lastly, it's unfortunate that we always have to refer to the last govet for us to appreciate what battle the new govt is confronted with.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by ElFenomeno1: 1:48pm On Sep 07, 2015
chuna1985:

Buhari is not formulating a new direction for nigeria, Rather he is trying to rule alone as a military head of states...

You are a very daft cun...t!
Sawdust filled headed individuals shouldn't be on this thread!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by EINSTEINPG: 1:59pm On Sep 07, 2015
googlepikin:
That's what happen when you have too many Moslems with you in a country, people wey God don curse that they will never know peace.
You are a shockingly nonintuitive slowpoke and a naive cantankerously-caterwauling tasteless amalgam of dross. In fact with this level of your narrow-mindedness you are nothing but a miserably blabbering peon and a miserable feeble-minded cesspool of putrid effluvium. Quote me and get more bashing!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by ApexTitan(m): 2:02pm On Sep 07, 2015
PassingShot:
My candid submission:

1. Given the fact that Nigeria for the first time witnessed a real/true change of government (from one party to another), it is expected that economic activities will slow down within the first few months of the new govt as it takes time to formulate a new direction. This fact is more reinforced when one considers the type of economy the new government inherited. It was an economy that the PDP/FG borrowed to pay its workers in March and April of 2015. Had PDP won, they would have continued the borrowing as crude price slides further.

Who had the expectation that the change in government would lead to marked decline - negative growth as the paper puts in - in the nation's economy? Is this a regular occurrence in other nations when a new party comes into power that the nation experiences near recession?

I get your position, you are rationalising this downturn as normal and expected so as not to make the new leadership lose face.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by 989900: 2:05pm On Sep 07, 2015
GenbIoodykiller:

[s]Nope you're an illiterate body language analyser grin

you represent a typical coconut head Buhari supporter

illiterate bastard body language analyser

you know nothing mr man

forming barcanista but i no fit you
go and sidan for gutter
mugu.

oya tell us more about Buhari's body language [/s]grin

You've said zilch m0r0n.

While I firmly would opine that the president gets a grip on the sorry state of the economy in double time, in lieu of excuses ( though sincerely I know he's done a good job so far), but we can only keep him on his toes to get the best out of him with sensible criticism; not some clownish comments.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by jaybee3(m): 2:10pm On Sep 07, 2015
ApexTitan:

Who had the expectation that the change in government would lead to marked decline - negative growth as the paper puts in - in the nation's economy? Is this a regular occurrence in other nations when a new party comes into power that the nation experiences near recession?

I get your position, you are rationalising this downturn as normal and expected so as not to make the new leadership lose face.

Election results does have some sort of impact on the outlook of an economy especially when it’s a transitional handover rather than BAU.

The reason for that is obviously none other than the expected jitters associated with uncertainties over policy directions of the new incoming government.

That’s the same everywhere and it usually gets magnified if the economy is already suffering some sort of slowdown.

Have your ever heard the term “Market is looking for a reason to tank”?
Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by ElFenomeno1: 2:10pm On Sep 07, 2015
EINSTEINPG:
You are a shockingly nonintuitive slowpoke and a naive cantankerously-caterwauling tasteless amalgam of dross. In fact with this level of your narrow-mindedness you are nothing but a miserably blabbering peon and a miserable feeble-minded cesspool of putrid effluvium. Quote me and get more bashing!!!
shocked grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by ElFenomeno1: 2:12pm On Sep 07, 2015
ApexTitan:

We have been in recession for months.... Think!!!!!
We are not going into it but have been wallowing in recession for months.... It has been downplayed so as not to cause panic or trigger an escalation!
Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by nigerrichwicked: 2:18pm On Sep 07, 2015
[/color][color=#006600]
PassingShot:
If majority of the youths on the forum is a representation of Nigerian youths, the future better not belong to them.

The youths here are mostly semi literate, lazy and have demonstrated lack of capacity for engaging in critical reasoning. All they're after is to engage in socializing and getting rich quick.

Most of them don't even understand what a quarter of a year represents. How do you then engage such unintelligent people on politics and economy?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by ApexTitan(m): 2:21pm On Sep 07, 2015
ElFenomeno1:

We are not going into it but have been wallowing in recession for months.... It has been downplayed so as not to cause panic or trigger an escalation!

Read the OP again including the title. Nigeria MAY slide into recession as economic indicators flash red.

Nigeria is not in recession.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by davide470(m): 2:21pm On Sep 07, 2015
ElFenomeno1:

We have not been in Recession.

The technical indicator of a recession is two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth as measured by a country's gross domestic product (GDP).

That has not happened yet

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by Nobody: 2:21pm On Sep 07, 2015
ElFenomeno1:

You are a very daft cun...t!
Sawdust filled headed individuals shouldn't be on this thread!

Heii yaa, d tin pain u like Nsukka yellow pepper.

Fact is that the Dullard of D have failed badly n is still failing. He's brain keeps going back to 1983. West Germany.
Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by ApexTitan(m): 2:28pm On Sep 07, 2015
jaybee3:

Election results does have some sort of impact on the outlook of an economy especially when it’s a transitional handover rather than BAU.

The reason for that is obviously none other than the expected jitters associated with uncertainties over policy directions of the new incoming government.

That’s the same everywhere and it usually gets magnified if the economy is already suffering some sort of slowdown.

Have your ever heard the term “Market is looking for a reason to tank”?

No doubt with what you are saying. Elections generate certain levels of uncertainty in economic sectors. Thing is in our case this uncertainity has gained enough momentum to push the economy into near recession because the new leadership has done little or nothing since assuming power to quell the markets.

Citing the change of power as the reason for this downturn is no longer an excuse as there has been ample time to initiate and implement policies that generate positive growth.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by ElFenomeno1: 2:28pm On Sep 07, 2015
davide470:
We have not been in Recession.

The technical indicator of a recession is two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth as measured by a country's gross domestic product (GDP).

That has not happened yet

Just because it is a technical indicator doesn't necessarily mean it is the only measure that should be taken as the gospel

So two quarters is from January - June

It is safe to say we are in recession..... June and it is bloody September already!

Another quarter has passed by!
Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by atlwireles: 2:28pm On Sep 07, 2015
Nigerians will realise body language and propaganda don't create jobs. When federal government bonds are not redeemed because of foreign exchange restrictions, then you know this drama is just starting. Many will loose their jobs by the fourth quarter and its just the beginning.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by ElFenomeno1: 2:32pm On Sep 07, 2015
ApexTitan:

Read the OP again including the title. Nigeria MAY slide into recession as economic indicators flash red.

Nigeria is not in recession.

I don't agree. It is a flawed analysis.
We are in it....
The Nigerian capital market has lost up to 30% of its capital in year to date... That alone is staggering and enough for a recession!
Imagine losing 50% of your portfolio? and you have 100m in your portfolio as at January? And you guys think it is a joke!
You are left with about 50m.... You were expecting at least a 20% growth by Q2 before..... What is that? Still sliding or already mired in deep shiit?!
Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by jaybee3(m): 2:36pm On Sep 07, 2015
ApexTitan:

No doubt with what you are saying. Elections generate certain levels of uncertainty in economic sectors. Thing is in our case this uncertainity has gained enough momentum to push the economy into near recession because the new leadership has done little or nothing since assuming power to quell the markets.

Citing the change of power as the reason for this downturn is no longer an excuse as there has been ample time to initiate and implement policies that generate positive growth.

They are projecting it will by the time they get around to reporting the actual growth figures.

Either way, we need to record the first negative growth before panic can set in. Absolutely no point coming up with sensational analysis if they are also projecting low growth in the same report. It’s like they just want to yarn for no freaking reason
Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by baralatie(m): 2:39pm On Sep 07, 2015
dragon2:
Truth be told.The first 2 quaters(6 months) of the year has been all about politics. Many economists predicted the negative effects the presidential elections will have on our economy so this is not a surprise. Economics took a back burner.
On the current crises,low oil prices,and a bloated civil service from the oil boom period means that many governments on the Federal and state level are strapped for cash.
Restructuring is necessary. Increased productivity by Government staff,possible layoffs, increased government revenue (tax) without hurting private productivity and diversification of revenue is needed to drive the economy in this trying times. Re-introduction of road tolls as a source of revenue may have to be considered if a systemic solution to corruption in that area can be found.

In the long term, the solution to diversification of the Nation Forex income and systemic defeat of corruption lies in the principal pillar of socio-political restructuring of the country. In simple term, we need a true Federation to solve our problems.

EDIT.

Low oil prices are here to stay for a long while,so let us do what has to be done to secure our nation from a violent future. This is because our population is rising as our income is falling,as a result the share of the national cake per citizen is dwindling. Electricity is vitally important.
let us look at what eco plan can be used
1,due to low federal income you PRIORITIZE your spendings (Thanks Okonjo Iweala Advice),that is debt servicing,security,salaries and wages,health etc
2,Next your STRATEGIZE new means of income which means your policies and economic outlook.
3.then you sell your LIABILITIES inorder to reduce your overheads
4,then you INCREASE YOUR ASSETS BY ENGAGING MORE PRIVATE COMPANIES INTO YOUR ECONOMY to increase you taxable income

and so on and so forth!I have not mentioned sack or layoff only concrete actions that will encourage GROWTH.
that is what is missing in this administrative govt.
Re: Nigeria May Slide Into Recession As Economic Indicators Flash Red by atlwireles: 2:43pm On Sep 07, 2015
ApexTitan:

72 hours after the election result, the market signaled a solid approval of the change. The current malaise and dejection is a realisation, that this administration has no direction. Both monetary and fiscally, only pretenders will close their eyes to this fact.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fashola Starts Work On Kano Western Bye-pass & Naibawa Flyover(pics) / Demolition Of Billboards Commences In Uyo Metropolis (Photos) / Osun Election: Labour Party Candidate, Yusuf Lasun Casts His Vote

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.