Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,565 members, 7,816,380 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:27 AM

You Should Change This Windows 10 Update Settings Now - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / You Should Change This Windows 10 Update Settings Now (1114 Views)

Stop Windows 10 Update From Consuming Your Data+video / How Do I Fix This Windows 10 Problem? / Windows 10 Update : I Almost Killed Someone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Should Change This Windows 10 Update Settings Now by Ezyp(m): 5:24am On Sep 09, 2015
Source -- http://geek.ng/2015/09/you-should-change-this-windows-10-update-settings-now.html

That person at Microsoft who assumed it was a pretty good thought to to allow users to update their OS through P2P conceived a terrible, evil idea. In case you don’t really know what this means, it simply means the default Windows 10 settings will allow someone, somewhere else on this planet access your downloaded Windows update and download it from your computer and you’re probably downloading your updates too via someone else’s PC.

Don’t freak out. It’s perfectly safe but here is where the problem lies: your internet connection is being used to do this. It’s just the way torrent works: leeching and seeding. You’re only sacrificing your bandwidth for others to download Windows updates.
Disabling Widows Updates Sharing through Peer-to-Peer
1. Click the Start button and go to Settings.

2. Select Update and Security.

3. Click Windows Update, then Advanced Options.

4. Click “Choose how updates are delivered“

5. Turn off using the toggle.

You’re done and this shouldn’t ever happen again.

If you haven't upgraded your windows 7 or 8, follow these steps http://geek.ng/2015/08/how-to-download-and-install-windows-10-right-now.html

All credits to Wale Adekile(DonCaprio)
Re: You Should Change This Windows 10 Update Settings Now by NifemiOlu(m): 5:41am On Sep 09, 2015
Good.
Re: You Should Change This Windows 10 Update Settings Now by RichDad1(m): 6:07am On Sep 09, 2015
This is a very good eye-opener.
Re: You Should Change This Windows 10 Update Settings Now by Nobody: 8:02am On Sep 09, 2015
If you're on an unlimited data plan then I see no need to deactivate this setting. The only drawback to this is high data consumption since the OS sends your already downloaded updates to others using your connection.

Don’t freak out. It’s perfectly safe but here is where the problem lies: your internet connection is being used to do this. It’s just the way torrent works: leeching and seeding. You’re only sacrificing your bandwidth for others to download Windows
updates
This was created to help people disadvantaged by geography. Using another's system as a seeder from a closer geographical location than the base host ensures your updates're downloaded at the highest speed your connection guarantees. Its the same concept used in the firechat messenger whereby if you've no credit or even a signal the application bounces your message around other nearby users' phones till it finds a connection which it then sends your message with.
Re: You Should Change This Windows 10 Update Settings Now by Ezyp(m): 1:12pm On Sep 09, 2015
@Charix how many Nigerians are on unlimited.. 3gb+ that's a lot..
Re: You Should Change This Windows 10 Update Settings Now by Nobody: 1:18pm On Sep 09, 2015
Ezyp:
@Charix how many Nigerians are on unlimited.. 3gb+ that's a lot..
Every glo blackberry internet subscriber and majority of the users on this forum from what I've observed.
Re: You Should Change This Windows 10 Update Settings Now by Ezyp(m): 5:53pm On Sep 09, 2015
charix:

Every glo blackberry internet subscriber and majority of the users on this forum from what I've observed.

Glo blackberry is 3gb...mtn is 5gb.....there is no unlimited from these isp...

(1) (Reply)

How To I Turn On My Pc Cam? / 21 Best Computer Tricks That Will Wooo You / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.