Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,099 members, 7,821,798 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:38 PM

To Pre-nup Or Not To Pre-nup? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / To Pre-nup Or Not To Pre-nup? (761 Views)

Ladies Whatz Ur View On Signing Pre-nup?? / Pre-nup:what's Your Take? / Would You Sign A Pre-nup? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Pre-nup Or Not To Pre-nup? by topup: 5:05am On Apr 08, 2009
I know a friend who is adamant that she has to sign a pre-nup before she agrees to marry her man. Now, I know this has been brought to life by american tv, but it exists??

Are you prepared to sign documents to 'cover yourself' in case of a divorce or do you think it's setting yourself up for failure??

My friend views it as an 'in case' type of idea, like an insurance, but my response was; 'accidents are inevitable', whilst divorces are not.
If an accident is going to happen, it is going to happen, yet a couple can choose to give up on their marriage.

She believed I was being silly not to sign one, and if I ever found myself in a position where I had to get a divorce that I would wish I got a pre-nup. This is exactly my point, the pre-nup sounds so sensible and rational, it almost makes the idea of a divorce become more of a reality, it makes it that much more tangible, whislt right now, in my fairytale world (as I was told by her) - I'd rather like to believe that divorce is out of the question.

Opinions??
Re: To Pre-nup Or Not To Pre-nup? by Nobody: 5:07am On Apr 08, 2009
No prenup.

But everything we buy(such as a house) , both our name goes on it.
Re: To Pre-nup Or Not To Pre-nup? by amebo22: 5:29am On Apr 08, 2009
I see pre nup as one easy way out for the guys not wanting to work on thier relationship in case of future mishaps. So in the case of me making more money than the guy would you want to sign a prenup
someone once asked me to sign a prenup so we can get married. i was upset.but as i look back now i dont blame the poor guy he just was thinking about himself alone and how to keep his money.the only condition he gave for me not to sign a prenup is if i make alot of money than he does.
If you ever want to sign a prenup just make sure that its equal and if you are guy that loves his kid i would make the prenup atleast 60-40. if a girl is not working dont ever sign a prenup it will be used against you.

As for me now i am equipping myself so that pre nup or no prenup i can take care of myself, lol gud luk,
Re: To Pre-nup Or Not To Pre-nup? by iice(f): 6:46am On Apr 08, 2009
Whichever lol. I would sign if offered, if that's what appeases him undecided
Re: To Pre-nup Or Not To Pre-nup? by Akinagirl(f): 7:30am On Apr 08, 2009
I don't care, one way or the other. I am setting myself up as well so I can take care of myself regardless.
Re: To Pre-nup Or Not To Pre-nup? by ChuckWoody(m): 8:17am On Apr 08, 2009
If a chick gets a sh*t-hot lawyer, the Oga best find big lawyer sharp, sharp or she go chop money from here to the grave.

Pre-nup is as good/bad as your lawyer makes it.

Simples!
Re: To Pre-nup Or Not To Pre-nup? by biina: 8:30am On Apr 08, 2009
please check for existing threads on same topic before starting another one
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-13568.0.html
Re: To Pre-nup Or Not To Pre-nup? by IFELEKE(m): 9:29am On Apr 08, 2009
topup:

I know a friend who is adamant that she has to sign a pre-nup before she agrees to marry her man. Now, I know this has been brought to life by american tv, but it exists??

Your friend has been influenced by the american media and I seriously pity her if she is a nigerian because if she raises that here in nigeria her senility will be questioned.
I mean, why would she even raise the issue of a pre-nup before marriage? Or does she harbour the thoughts of divorce as the suffix to the union?
Re: To Pre-nup Or Not To Pre-nup? by Czarskit(m): 11:14am On Apr 08, 2009
~ Thank GOD this is 9ja! ~ I don't tink I'l want to split my stacks wid one greedy ex-wife ~ So it'l be; Prenup 4 my whyt wife & no prenup 4 my 9ja wyf ~
Re: To Pre-nup Or Not To Pre-nup? by doeeyed: 5:12am On Dec 30, 2011
Definite pre-nups done at least a few weeks with video coverage, so no one comes up later wt ' under duress' claims. Detailed wt who gets what and ensuing child(ren) custody issues.

I don't see it as being an easy way out of a messy marriage, but man must to shine eye well well.

A girl who's got problems with signing pre-nups (as it remains fair and takes into account punitive measures for the straying partner in the event of gross infidelity) smells like a gold-digger to me and vice- versa.

Get it water- tight and applicable in several jurisdictions.
Re: To Pre-nup Or Not To Pre-nup? by dayokanu(m): 5:24am On Dec 30, 2011
I support pre-nup

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Girl / We Havent Spoken Ever Since I Stoped Seeing Her / Is This Right?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.