Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,328 members, 7,829,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:27 PM

What Parents Are Facing During This Season - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Parents Are Facing During This Season (1090 Views)

My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married / All The Drama That Happens When Your Parents Are Arguing / My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Parents Are Facing During This Season by Olusharp(m): 9:56pm On Sep 12, 2015
What Parents are facing during this season

Last Night,while i was on my bed thinking of how the day had gone , I was about saying my prayers when i heard a silent knock on my door,i was sure it couldn't be madam because she would barge in being the mother of house, "Come in " i said as i roll over on the bed, two little heads appeared, my pulse increased on seeing them because any time they come in this manner something was at at stake, "My Angels come in,you want to see daddy?"I asked smiling,they walked in "Yes dad" Bolu the elder one said, "ok come closer,daddy will listen" i assured as i started calculating what could have called for this meeting, there was an A4 sheet with them,my pulse increased higher again "Daddy we are resuming on monday" the bomb was shelled, I need not be told what was on the paper any more, i collected the paper and saw like 12text books each,the least price being one thousand naira, i turned the other page and saw the list of things they wanted to buy,new bags,new shoes,new school uniforms, Seun in Primary school even said she was going to buy new basket and water bottle,i looked further into the list and saw the New school fees for each of them,i breath in then with a smile i dismissed them..
"Their mom must have done a good job,training them to come meet daddy" as i brought out my calculator to do some calculations, lo and behold every thing amounted to one hundred and ten thousand naira only, i breathed in again.. The other day my mom was singing the song that she wanted more children, "after three children?" i asked as i stared at her in amazement,maybe she thinks we were still in the 1940s where parents gave birth to as many as they want and lead them to the farm,that was the order of the day back then not now, if you say because the holy books say "you should go into the world and multiply"it doesn't mean you should start giving birth like pigs in this modern dispensation.I was brought back to reality when a call came from my eldest child, he is a student at a Federal University ,i felt hot immediately, talk of the devil and he appears, "another money Matter,may it is money for handouts this time" i thought as i picked his call, "Hello,Dad how are you and everybody...." i cut him short "Femi what's it?" i asked as i was impatient, "Dad,i just wanted to greet you because of i miss everyone" he said,i heaved a sign of relief "eh,Femi so this what you do with the little pocket money i send you, if we miss you we will call you,good night." I said dropping the call.. After brain storming for a while,madam came in and acted as if she didn't have a foreknowledge of what the kids had come to discuss with me,i gave her the paper they gave me and she read it as if it was the first time she was seeing it, "Dear,God will provide for us" she said... "Amen" I said sinking into the bed...

To all the parents out there God will provide for you...

OlumideĀ©2015

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Parents Are Facing During This Season by GboyegaD(m): 10:10pm On Sep 12, 2015
Indeed, God will provide. Yet, some people go dey born like say they wan use children do artefacts when dem old(die).

1 Like

Re: What Parents Are Facing During This Season by Olusharp(m): 10:17pm On Sep 12, 2015
GboyegaD:
Indeed, God will provide. Yet, some people go dey born like say they wan use children do artefacts when dem old(die).
like seriously bro
Re: What Parents Are Facing During This Season by Haywhymido(m): 10:54pm On Sep 12, 2015
It is nt easy to be a man, am telling u
Re: What Parents Are Facing During This Season by emilyone(f): 11:12pm On Sep 12, 2015
That's the more reason why parents should only give birth to only the number of children they can comfortably bring up!

Ignore the above if you don't mind your kids going to public schools.
Re: What Parents Are Facing During This Season by lezz(m): 11:22pm On Sep 12, 2015
Olusharp:

Last Night,while i was on my bed thinking of how the day had gone , I was about saying my prayers when i heard a silent knock on my door,i was sure it couldn't be madam because she would barge in being the mother of house, "Come in " i said as i roll over on the bed, two little heads appeared, my pulse increased on seeing them because any time they come in this manner something was at at stake, "My Angels come in,you want to see daddy?"I asked smiling,they walked in "Yes dad" Bolu the elder one said, "ok come closer,daddy will listen" i assured as i started calculating what could have called for this meeting, there was an A4 sheet with them,my pulse increased higher again "Daddy we are resuming on monday" the bomb was shelled, I need not be told what was on the paper any more, i collected the paper and saw like 12text books each,the least price being one thousand naira, i turned the other page and saw the list of things they wanted to buy,new bags,new shoes,new school uniforms, Seun in Primary school even said she was going to buy new basket and water bottle,i looked further into the list and saw the New school fees for each of them,i breath in then with a smile i dismissed them..
"Their mom must have done a good job,training them to come meet daddy" as i brought out my calculator to do some calculations, lo and behold every thing amounted to one hundred and ten thousand naira only, i breathed in again.. The other day my mom was singing the song that she wanted more children, "after three children?" i asked as i stared at her in amazement,maybe she thinks we were still in the 1940s where parents gave birth to as many as they want and lead them to the farm,that was the order of the day back then not now, if you say because the holy books say "you should go into the world and multiply"it doesn't mean you should start giving birth like pigs in this modern dispensation.I was brought back to reality when a call came from my eldest child, he is a student at a Federal University ,i felt hot immediately, talk of the devil and he appears, "another money Matter,may it is money for handouts this time" i thought as i picked his call, "Hello,Dad how are you and everybody...." i cut him short "Femi what's it?" i asked as i was impatient, "Dad,i just wanted to greet you because of i miss everyone" he said,i heaved a sign of relief "eh,Femi so this what you do with the little pocket money i send you, if we miss you we will call you,good night." I said dropping the call.. After brain storming for a while,madam came in and acted as if she didn't have a foreknowledge of what the kids had come to discuss with me,i gave her the paper they gave me and she read it as if it was the first time she was seeing it, "Dear,God will provide for us" she said... "Amen" I said sinking into the bed...

OlumideĀ©2015
I say Amen to that, brother.
Re: What Parents Are Facing During This Season by LewsTherin: 11:34pm On Sep 12, 2015
Anytime some family member askes when I'm getting another child, I tell 'em to go get their own if they want to see children. With the economy as it is? Please! The world has multiplied fruitfully enough. I don't need to add to it.

3 Likes

Re: What Parents Are Facing During This Season by EfemenaXY: 6:16am On Sep 13, 2015
Olusharp:
OlumideĀ©2015

@OP: To be honest, I was full of skepticism when I first opened your thread, expecting some dim-witted teenage comments in here. But, as read through, I actually started to "feel" you and was hoping to learn something from you on how you handled the situation....but frankly speaking, I'm quite disappointed with your ending.

It's such a poor ending, I doubt if you're really a parent. How did you deal with the situation? Did you buy the things listed out for you by your daughters / kids? You say you calculated the total costs amounting to N100,000. Okay, then what? Did you mentally juggle what's affordable and what isn't? Or decide what you / the family will have to cut back on? What was your response to the waiting kids? Or you just turned your back on them, ignoring their presence??

You also mentioned that your wife came in, pretending not to know anything about the list - sure I get that. I'll admit that bit got me smiling. Yes, but what happened next? Didn't you discuss with her? What did you both mean by "God will provide"? What sort of irresponsible response was that? Is that how you "adults" tackle issues? By skipping the problem and hoping Manna falls from heaven? Like seriously?

If you can't give us the complete story, then perhaps this isn't your writeup afterall, but someone else's you copied and pasted on here, typical Nairaland style (nothing surprising there). In which case I suggest you take this to the Literature Section (with the source, of course). It is a good read afterall, despite the poor ending, but I learnt nothing from it as a parent with kids of school age. There aren't any Lessons Learnt here for us, Family Section members.

Oh, and one more thing: there was absolutely nothing wrong with "your" elder son calling to say he misses home and his family. A simple "we miss you too, son" response, and some encouragement to work hard at his studies would have been sufficient. Or better still, offering to call him back on your phone so he could chat briefly to his younger siblings and mum would have been okay - rather than you cutting him off the way you did. That was brusque - or are you a brute??

2 Likes

Re: What Parents Are Facing During This Season by Olusharp(m): 6:35am On Sep 13, 2015
EfemenaXY:

@OP: To be honest, I was full of skepticism when I first opened your thread, expecting some dim-witted teenage comments in here. But, as read through, I actually started to "feel" you and was hoping to learn something from you on how you handled the situation....but frankly speaking, I'm quite disappointed with your ending.

It's such a poor ending, I doubt if you're really a parent. How did you deal with the situation? Did you buy the things listed out for you by your daughters / kids? You say you calculated the total costs amounting to N100,000. Okay, then what? Did you mentally juggle what's affordable and what isn't? Or decide what you / the family will have to cut back on? What was your response to the waiting kids? Or you just turned your back on them, ignoring their presence??

You also mentioned that your wife came in, pretending not to know anything about the list - sure I get that. I'll admit that bit got me smiling. Yes, but what happened next? Didn't you discuss with her? What did you both mean by "God will provide"? What sort of irresponsible response was that? Is that how you "adults" tackle issues? By skipping the problem and hoping Manna falls from heaven? Like seriously?

If you can't give us the complete story, then perhaps this isn't your writeup afterall, but someone else's you copied and pasted on here, typical Nairaland style (nothing surprising there). In which case I suggest you take this to the Literature Section (with the source, of course). It is a good read afterall, despite the poor ending, but I learnt nothing from it as a parent with kids of school age. There aren't any Lessons Learnt here for us, Family Section members.

Oh, and one more thing: there was absolutely nothing wrong with "your" elder son calling to say he misses home and his family. A simple "we miss you too, son" response, and some encouragement to work hard at his studies would have been sufficient. Or better still, offering to call him back on your phone so he could chat briefly to his younger siblings and mum would have been okay - rather than you cutting him off the way you did. That was brusque - or are you a brute??

thanks sir for the criticism i am happy someone did and at least you gained somethings ,i am not a parent yet but i own this write up and you can't find it anywhere on net except through me ... once again thanks for reading!

1 Like

Re: What Parents Are Facing During This Season by EfemenaXY: 6:52am On Sep 13, 2015
Olusharp:
thanks sir for the criticism i am happy someone did and at least you gained somethings ,i am not a parent yet but i own this write up and you can't find it anywhere on net except through me ... once again thanks for reading!

I said it's an interesting writeup but I DIDN'T gain or learn anything from it. And yes, it's quite obvious you aren't a parent. Yet.
Re: What Parents Are Facing During This Season by Olusharp(m): 9:30am On Sep 13, 2015
EfemenaXY:

I said it's an interesting writeup but I DIDN'T gain or learn anything from it. And yes, it's quite obvious you aren't a parent. Yet.
if you didn't others did .. and oga i nor dey drag madam with you na,e be like say u nor just like me ...
Re: What Parents Are Facing During This Season by EfemenaXY: 12:55pm On Sep 13, 2015
Olusharp:
if you didn't others did .. and oga i nor dey drag madam with you na,e be like say u nor just like me ...

It's nothing personal.
Re: What Parents Are Facing During This Season by femmykenny: 4:54pm On Sep 24, 2015
As a man we are entitle with the responsibility to cater for the needs of the family even when it appear inconvenient.
The message of the op is to encourage all the men out there to be hard-working..
Pay today and play tomorrow..............

(1) (Reply)

Please Help It's Urgent / Who's That Person??? / Eating At Nigeria Wedding (owambe)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.