Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,187 members, 7,811,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:31 PM

My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married (28480 Views)

26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) / I'm About To Regret Getting Married / All The Drama That Happens When Your Parents Are Arguing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by LekinsRibirth(m): 7:55pm On Oct 05, 2016
I'm currently on a crossroad and I really need your cordial insights on this issue.
I graduated two years ago and I'm currently 25years old and God has been extremely so good to me.
I was recently able to secure a job in a multinational firm and I receive a very good pay.
I've been able to put a lot of things in order and I feel I'm ready to settle down.
I proposed marriage to my girlfriend who is currently 23 and she accepted. our families have been friends even before we were born. myself and her grew up together and we are literally best friends( we've officially been dating for the past 4years).
I've stated my intentions to my parents and hers but they both disagreed .They said we're too young to start a family and we should wait for a minimum of 4 to 5 years .
I'll be travelling out of the country next year with my company to start an off-shore business unit and I planned to get married to her by December and take her along with me.
I really don't know what to do as my family has become my enemy in this issue.
They threatened not to give me their blessings and never to accept money from me if I go ahead with my plans.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by braimeddy: 8:00pm On Oct 05, 2016
Are u really sure that the only reason both parents refused to give their blessings is because u guys re still young? Let me tell u d truth, I don't believe what u re saying.

211 Likes 12 Shares

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Cutehector(m): 8:00pm On Oct 05, 2016
I think they are right... why not wait until you are 30yrs of age first.... marriage isn't smth u rush into.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:03pm On Oct 05, 2016
I'm with your parents on this one..... The fact you're okay financially doesn't mean you're ready for marriage... It's not like they said you shouldn't marry her, they said you both should wait!... So my advice... ...wait!

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by falcon01: 8:04pm On Oct 05, 2016
but any way do what they say tell them they are right and you just realised been married is a ll bullshit keep talking about how you don't wanna get married how you think getting children is a mess show them you just lost interest in women don't make them see you with a girl though you can have your fun when you are not with them until they get tired. and start disturbing you for grandson.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by delishpot: 8:07pm On Oct 05, 2016
Na wa. 25 is ussualy considered young to settle down as a man. Esp with the many distractions in the world now. Also, marriage is not aaout having a good pay. It is for mature minds. But, if you feel you are ready to do so then give your parents some time (Say 1 year) and ask again.
You must know that marriage is more complicated than dating. Unless you plan to continue life as though you we're still single (This brings unhappiness and stress in your home as your wife married you to be with you not to just bear your name) Marriage requires a lot of patience and sacrifices. You should take this time to pursue dreams, start projects and plan your future.
Spend time doing what you love to do, thank God you are settled to a degree. This will give you room to worry less while planning your life.

Give them 1 year. Tell them you understand their fears and, When they see the maturity in how you handle things,, they would give you the go ahead. That is if you still desire to go ahead with it.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Ishilove: 8:18pm On Oct 05, 2016
25 years is not too young to marry, however your parents understand you more than we do so they may be justified in their refusal. They most likely have gauged your level of maturity and concluded that you aren't ready for marriage, even if you don't know it yourself.

What elders see sitting down, children can't even when they climb the tallest palmtree.

Give them time to come around. Also give yourself time to grow up

88 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by abdeiz(m): 8:31pm On Oct 05, 2016
Op they as e your parents, obey them, you don't know what they see that you aren't seeing. besides when your mates in your shoes are flexing life you want to tie yourself down another reason not to even get married.
ANYWAYS DONT GO AGAINST YOUR PARENTS.
Even if your fiancée get belle for you.

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by RealJaneDoe: 9:58pm On Oct 05, 2016
If you are both compatible then marry damn it . 25 and 23 is not too young jare .
Once you're done with school and have a job what are you waiting for??

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by chelseabmw(m): 10:00pm On Oct 05, 2016
@25 u are 100% ready to get married

Ask your dad, he probably got married to your mum b4 25...

31 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by obaival(m): 10:00pm On Oct 05, 2016
Early childhood marriage

5 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by menix(m): 10:01pm On Oct 05, 2016
Well age is not maturity but sincerely, u need to relax a bit...

You re just in a hurry to kwaff her, cool down dude, u need street credibility cous i can see u guyz re ajebutter...

8 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by omoikea(m): 10:03pm On Oct 05, 2016
this life is not just fair.....

some are looking for life partner earnestly while those that has found their soul mate cant go further in living their dreams....

what a funny world we live in grin grin grin grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Nobody: 10:03pm On Oct 05, 2016
jus giv am belle jhor angry

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by abokibuhari: 10:03pm On Oct 05, 2016
Legitimate fvck they hungry the op hhahahahaaa

10 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by abike12(f): 10:04pm On Oct 05, 2016
Marriage is not by age. I believe you can talk to your parents maturely and try to get them to see reason. Tell them you will be moving out of the country and this is the best time to sort out your future wife's papers. These things are much easier when you marry before you start the processing. I'm sure they'll have a rethink when you purse it peacefully and persistently.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Nobody: 10:05pm On Oct 05, 2016
"Breaks kolanut"
My guy bring 500k make I lay hands on you and your woman

6 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by gen2briz(m): 10:06pm On Oct 05, 2016
Ok
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by godman01(m): 10:06pm On Oct 05, 2016
Ishilove:
25 years is not too young to marry, however your parents understand you more than we do so they may be justified in their refusal. They most likely have gauged your level of maturity and concluded that you aren't ready for marriage, even if you don't know it yourself.

What elders see sitting down, children can't even when they climb the tallest palmtree.

Give them time to come around. Also give yourself time to grow up

i agree
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by jokerphilics(m): 10:08pm On Oct 05, 2016
LekinsRibirth:
I'm currently on a crossroad and I really need your cordial insights on this issue.
I graduated two years ago and I'm currently 25years old and God has been extremely so good to me.
I was recently able to secure a job in a multinational firm and I receive a very good pay.
I've been able to put a lot of things in order and I feel I'm ready to settle down.
I proposed marriage to my girlfriend who is currently 23 and she accepted. our families have been friends even before we were born. myself and her grew up together and we are literally best friends( we've officially been dating for the past 4years).
I've stated my intentions to my parents and hers but they both disagreed .They said we're too young to start a family and we should wait for a minimum of 4 to 5 years .
I'll be travelling out of the country next year with my company to start an off-shore business unit and I planned to get married to her by December and take her along with me.
They threatened not to give me their blessings and never to accept money from me if I go ahead with my plans.
Guy u Berra explain in wise and calm manner to them before u bring akata or start sleeping with baes all around. With marriage u become and seen as a responsible fella. Age doesn't matter dey aren't d one DAT makes their's happy as it is from then till now. It's God

10 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by duni04(m): 10:09pm On Oct 05, 2016
Good job, travelling abroad soon, very young....and you're at the crossroads because of a woman? A Nigerian woman! Someone needs to reset this OP's brain.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by admindim: 10:10pm On Oct 05, 2016
ur parent like u cool down
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by bolabolabo: 10:11pm On Oct 05, 2016
OP, The fact that both parents advised u to wait and you are refusing to shows how 'not ready' you are for the stage called marriage.

Marriage requires lots of patience which this scenario shows you dont have.

So please go and learn how to be a patient man and then come back to say u wanna marry..

11 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by jfroyale(m): 10:12pm On Oct 05, 2016
LekinsRibirth:
Go to where u are going and see if the love still remain solid,i guess ur intimacy and perhaps romance makes u feel u re in love

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by banqalee(m): 10:12pm On Oct 05, 2016
youmour:
"Breaks kolanut"
My guy bring 500k make I lay hands on you and your woman
grin grin grin grin
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Johnsown1(m): 10:12pm On Oct 05, 2016
Don't rush in cos u may rush out.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Nobody: 10:12pm On Oct 05, 2016
There is nothing wrong with marrying at 25 as long as you are both mature. God has been preparing this wife for you before you were born and now your family wants to hinder the plan. As long as you are responsible and loving, why are they against it? Maybe they want to chop your money first. Take your wife now before some other man tries to spoil her in this harsh economy. Unless there is a serious problem which you have not revealed to us, continue to encourage your family about the matter. If they don't agree, the arrival of a new baby would help them. smiley

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Airhix(m): 10:13pm On Oct 05, 2016
truth be told,u re not too young to raise a family,ur parent kn u better,wait a bit,like a yr or 2 from now,the re pressures dat comes with marriage,maturity isnt abt age, read along books dat wil help u,wen ur parents see dat d difference is clear,they wil rally around u,keep sailing,build a house,buy properties,invest,the lord be ur guide,
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by bsideboii(m): 10:14pm On Oct 05, 2016
It's either your parents think you or d your gf are not matured enough (No insults intended) or there is more to it than they are telling you guys because it is too much of a coincidence for both parents to turn down your marriage proposal.

Wetin Elder see for ground ,even if u climb tree u fit no see am.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by lepasharon(f): 10:15pm On Oct 05, 2016
Are you a little kid? Are you living ur life for ur parents? If you feeling like its time then go ahead and marry

4 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by baby124: 10:15pm On Oct 05, 2016
I think you don't act like a responsible person. Your parents know you, that is why they do not think you are ready yet. I think you need to start acting more maturely. Engage your iyawo and give it a year before marriage. Tell your parents you are ready to be a man and a father. And that in one year you will need their blessings. Let your fiancée work on her parents as well.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Third Parties Involvement Ruin My Parents Marriage / His Mother Said His Fiancee Is Not Beautiful And Classy / My Colleague's Husband Stresses His Wife Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.