Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? (2023 Views)

2019: Nigeria’s Messiah Will Come From North - Pastor Tunde Bakare / Are There Evil Spirits In The Water As Churches Preached? / MUST READ: Perfect Explanation To Why God Does "EVIL" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Nobody: 8:31am On Sep 13, 2015
[b]I have been trying to trace the origin AND cause of evil, AND Why must there be evil at all in human endeavours. The problem of evil according to Philosophers have various roots and none of them seems satisfactory to me. Some believe that evil is a necessity to creation because it makes everything balance and it makes people run to a higher being therefore putting man in a state of constant need for a higher being - GOD. Other school of thought holds that evil is as a result of man's imperfections and our inability to always follow the good path, that God made everything perfect and good but man have vandalised everything. Now my question for this belief is that "did God not also create humans to be perfect? Or he did and humans became an experiment gone rogue hence he cant handle them again? this seems silly to me.

So i am yet to see the rationale behind the availability of evil in a world created by an all "Perfect" God. MAY be he didn't create evil, Maybe other greater terrestrial powers did and he couldn't stop them. Maybe he is the cause if evil by making man imperfect beings and also creating an imperfect world. Or Maybe there is No terrestrial power even, We control what happen to us and evil is just a logical necessity as a result of our doings.
I know many Christian/Islam/Theists will want to defend the perfection of their God(s) But the truth is the existence of evil in our world today shows that there is No God or Shows that there is a God But this God is not as perfect and powerful as it/he/she is being portrayed.

So I need Any sound argument and explanation for the existence of evil in our today's society.[/b]

Freeman David, a Philosopher!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Rilwon: 8:33am On Sep 13, 2015
Google is always there to help
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Nobody: 8:40am On Sep 13, 2015
Cc fratermathy Teempakguy tolkzay
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Omotayor123(f): 8:45am On Sep 13, 2015
Men are Evil And Evil comes from Men...
*Men here represent All humans**
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by seemples(f): 8:56am On Sep 13, 2015
Evil predates man.

Evil predates the devil...to wit the Bible said sth like ..evil entered satan?

Many things went down before the creation of man which God revealed partially in the Bible..He's mum on the origin of evil.; guess we'll never know so no cessation in sight for man's aluta against evil .
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 13, 2015
Omotayor123:
Men are Evil And Evil comes from Men...

*Men here represent All humans**
I was expecting this.
Did they not Say God is omniscient? Meaning he knows what will happen in billions of years to come. So did he not envisage that men will become evil thereby start acting contrary to his teaching?
Just wondering!
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by music4me(m): 9:07am On Sep 13, 2015
Both good n evil comes from GOD....And he test whoever he feels like with either of d two...
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Nobody: 9:13am On Sep 13, 2015
seemples:
Evil predates man.

Evil predates the devil.
I Am not sure the devil has anything to do with evil tho. He is just an agent. Just like some humans.
Well as you rightly said, I guess We can't know.
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Nobody: 9:15am On Sep 13, 2015
music4me:
Both good n evil comes from GOD....And he test whoever he feels like with either of d two...
Life is a game Then, whoever fails is deemed a sinner and hence cast for hell... That's a wicked and harsh way of being God Don't you think?

Bearing in mind that people differ in their faith and resilience.
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by malvisguy212: 9:28am On Sep 13, 2015
God decrees times of good things and times of judgment. God bring calamity either directly or through human authority:
Gen. 50:20
As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good”

Op, are you a christian? Concerning evil befalling christians, Paul explained it :
Romans 8:28
28 And we know that God causes all
things to work together for good to those
who love God, to those who are called
according to His purpose.

Apostle Paul,who underwent much more suffering than most of us, even says that:
“this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of
glory beyond all comparison” ( 2 Cor. 4:17). The bible say "a refining by fire"

If Joseph is to complain to God bitterly the first day his brothers beat him and sold him into slavery, he would not have held such position in Egypt.

My points is. The very transcendence of God plays a significant role in biblical responses to the problem of evil. Because God is who he is, the covenant Lord, he is not required to defend himself against charges of injustice. He is the judge, not we. Very often in Scripture,when something happens that calls God’s goodness in question, God pointedly refrains from explaining. Indeed, he often rebukes those human beings who question him.Job demanded an interview with God, so that he could ask God the reasons for his sufferings
(job 23:1-7). But when he met God, God asked the questions: “Brace yourself
like a man; I will question you, and you
shall answer me”(job38:3).The questions
mostly revealed Job’s ignorance about
God’s creation: if Job doesn’t understand
the ways of the animals, how can he
presume to call God’s motives in
question? He doesn’t even understand
earthly things; how can he presume to
debate heavenly things? God is not
subject to the ignorant evaluations of his creatures.

Moral evil exists because humans are
free to do either good or bad, it's just
that simple. Why does God allow this?
God instills in each of Us the ability to
know right from wrong,as divine creator,
that is more than enough since, as
sentient and free beings it falls on US to
choose, not God to dictate.

God also instills on us the ability to TEACH and UNDERSTAND right and wrong so that none have any excuse
( other than the mentally ill of course).
Moral evil exists because WE choose for
it to exist ( we choose by doing what we
know to be wrong AND by choosing to be apart from God).
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Dekatron(m): 9:40am On Sep 13, 2015
Evil comes when you try to do something illogical and egocentric and Anti-social in relation to what is seen as normal, civil & social

I believe our Ancestors practised BURYING PEOPLE ALIVE WHEN THEIR MASTERS DIED. I watched a Korea series (many of them are actually historical Korea events). It was KING KIM SOO RO (cant remember the deitified name he was given) that stopped such offence in Jo seon.
It was a religious thing & normal. This perhaps go a long way to show that COMMON SENSE other than RELIGION lets you know whats evil, hence backtracking evil to :- DOING SOMETHING IMMORAL YET YOU ARE TRYING TO JUSTIFY IT IN ALL MEANS POSSIBLE TO MAN.

Pardon if u dont understand, Even in class, i skip philosophy lectures and classes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Nobody: 9:42am On Sep 13, 2015
Since you tracing the origin from God do you also agree on Freewill?
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Dekatron(m): 9:43am On Sep 13, 2015
malvisguy212:
God decrees times of good things and times of judgment. God bring calamity either directly or through human authority:
Gen. 50:20
As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good”

Op, are you a christian? Concerning evil befalling christians, Paul explained it :
Romans 8:28
28 And we know that God causes all
things to work together for good to those
who love God, to those who are called
according to His purpose.

Apostle Paul,who underwent much more suffering than most of us, even says that:
“this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of
glory beyond all comparison” ( 2 Cor. 4:17). The bible say "a refining by fire"

If Joseph is to complain to God bitterly the first day his brothers beat him and sold him into slavery, he would not have held such position in Egypt.

My points is. The very transcendence of God plays a significant role in biblical responses to the problem of evil. Because God is who he is, the covenant Lord, he is not required to defend himself against charges of injustice. He is the judge, not we. Very often in Scripture,when something happens that calls God’s goodness in question, God pointedly refrains from explaining. Indeed, he often rebukes those human beings who question him.Job demanded an interview with God, so that he could ask God the reasons for his sufferings
(job 23:1-7). But when he met God, God asked the questions: “Brace yourself
like a man; I will question you, and you
shall answer me”(job38:3).The questions
mostly revealed Job’s ignorance about
God’s creation: if Job doesn’t understand
the ways of the animals, how can he
presume to call God’s motives in
question? He doesn’t even understand
earthly things; how can he presume to
debate heavenly things? God is not
subject to the ignorant evaluations of his creatures.

God also instills on us the ability to TEACH and UNDERSTAND right and wrong so that none have any excuse
( other than the mentally ill of course).
Moral evil exists because WE choose for
it to exist ( we choose by doing what we
know to be wrong AND by choosing to be apart from God).

please when talking about philosophy, please dnt quote the bible.

Its only those that believe in it that need to be quoted for.

I wl also quote THE ART OF WAR on your Christian thread. Sounds cool?
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Nobody: 9:51am On Sep 13, 2015
malvisguy212:

Op, are you a christian?

NO

My points is. The very transcendence of God plays a significant role in biblical responses to the problem of evil. Because God is who he is, the covenant Lord, he is not required to defend himself against charges of injustice. He is the judge, not we.

Such a totalitarian religion.

So he instilled these attribute in us knowing fully well that some will choose the wrong path? Meaning he doesn't want all to be saved... Such an illogical and nonsensical mode of operation Don't you think?
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by bxcode(m): 9:51am On Sep 13, 2015
God is not the author of evil, he is not associated with evil, evil exists because of the author of evil the devil himself. He uses man's freewill to manipulate him into taking decisions that will self destruct man. God's intention is to one day punish evil and all those who gave in to reprobate minds. God is a good God.
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Nobody: 9:54am On Sep 13, 2015
Reyginus:
Since you tracing the origin from God do you also agree on Freewill?
I do.... But before you give me the Freewill AND Determined argument! Answer this question...

"Knowing fully well that man will abuse the gift of Freewill, Why did He still made man free to determine his own life?"
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 13, 2015
Dekatron:

I have come to permit such. Christians Don't know the difference between religion and personal beliefs.. They see everything from one perspective!
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 13, 2015
bxcode:
God is not the author of evil, he is not associated with evil, evil exists because of the author of evil the devil himself. He uses man's freewill to manipulate him into taking decisions that will self destruct man. God's intention is to one day punish evil and all those who gave in to reprobate minds. God is a good God.
MEANING GOD HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THE DEVIL? OR THAT GOD IS NOT AS POWERFUL AND OMNISCIENT AS YOU CLAIM HE IS.

AND HOW CAN A GOOD GOD ALLOW MAN TL BE FREE TO CAUSE GREAT PAIN ON OTHERS?
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by BrightEye(m): 10:00am On Sep 13, 2015
We create evil through our thoughts, words and deeds, and out of our given freewill.
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 13, 2015
BrightEye:
We create evil through our thoughts, words and deeds, and out of our given freewill.
This is all I have been hearing all day...

Why are We given Freewill when everything have already been determined by the same God?
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by malvisguy212: 10:15am On Sep 13, 2015
Freemanan:

NO

Such a totalitarian religion.

So he instilled these attribute in us knowing fully well that some will choose the wrong path? Meaning he doesn't want all to be saved... Such an illogical and nonsensical mode of operation Don't you think?
since God created All things and Called it Good , the natural choice of man action in the garden happened by his own WILL, although God Allow evil to exist for man to be able to chose to love or hate God, true worship or love required trial. In acts chapter 7, evil was to enable man to witness the power of truth. In fact , in 1 Pet. 4:13 it say , when you replace evil with Glory, its gives you greater JOY.

In first Timothy 2:4.
who wants all people to be saved and to
come to a knowledge of the truth.

God say he want ALL people to be save and come to the knowledge of truth.
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Nobody: 10:16am On Sep 13, 2015
Freemanan:

I do.... But before you give me the Freewill AND Determined argument! Answer this question...

"Knowing fully well that man will abuse the gift of Freewill, Why did He still made man free to determine his own life?"
We can't really say he knew man was going to abuse the freewill..The clue we got is in his regret. As in, why would it pain him if he knew it was going to happen so? You can show me otherwise..
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by BrightEye(m): 10:17am On Sep 13, 2015
Freemanan:

This is all I have been hearing all day...

Why are We given Freewill when everything have already been determined by the same God?

To me, i do find it wrong to believe that everything have already been determined by God. It is a misconception by religious bigots, who would rather use such conclution to shy away from questions they couldn't answer.

Freewill is our gift from God, by which we determine our fate ourselves following the karma we create using this freewill.

But why all this? It is to facilitate the fulfilment of our purppose of existence......
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Nobody: 10:17am On Sep 13, 2015
Reyginus:
We can't really say he knew man was going to abuse the freewill..The clue we got is in his regret. As in, why would it pain him if he knew it was going to happen so? You can show me otherwise..
Meaning GOD is not Omniscient? He is not all knowing? He doesn't know what will happen in years to come?
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by music4me(m): 10:18am On Sep 13, 2015
Freemanan:

Life is a game Then, whoever fails is deemed a sinner and hence cast for hell... That's a wicked and harsh way of being God Don't you think?

Bearing in mind that people differ in their faith and resilience.

Just like d saying that' we are nothing but pencil in d hand of d creator'. GOD decide what will be n whats not,just like in a game of WHOT the decision to play pick 2 depend solely on d player as soon as d chance to play it presents itself n this single act sometimes change the trend of d game.It baffles me wen folks attributes Good to GOD and Evil to d devil especially wen we all forgot that nothing will eva happen to a man except GOD sanctions it...Citing d case of Job(pbuh) as an example,its with d approval of GOD that d devil was able to befell him with calamities and it was still this same GOD that made him strong.Evrything has been written n stamped n what will be will definately be....
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by malvisguy212: 10:18am On Sep 13, 2015
Dekatron:

this is religion section, is the word of God tormenting you? The op mention christian, if you don't want me to quote the bible, don't mention christian or Jesus christ.
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Nobody: 10:19am On Sep 13, 2015
BrightEye:

To me, i do find it wrong to believe that everything have already been determined by God. It is a misconception by religious bigots, who would rather use such conclution to shy away from questions they couldn't answer.

Freewill is our gift from God, by which we determine our fate ourselves following the karma we create using this freewill.

But why all this? It is to facilitate the fulfilment of our purppose of existence......
Wow... You are a Christian and you Don't believe in Predestination? Wow....
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Nobody: 10:19am On Sep 13, 2015
Freemanan:

Meaning GOD is not Omniscient? He is not all knowing? He doesn't know what will happen in years to come?
We will come that but let's address the freewill part thoroughly. So what do you think of the freewill argument?
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Nobody: 10:22am On Sep 13, 2015
malvisguy212:
this is religion section, is the word of God tormenting you? The op mention christian, if you don't want me to quote the bible, don't mention christian or Jesus christ.
What a thought.... I believe quoting the Bible should be reserved for the right purpose.
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Dekatron(m): 10:22am On Sep 13, 2015
malvisguy212:

Torment me??

Well, you are right. Flying spaghetti's word is tormenting me

#Gulliblepeople

mind you, I WAS AN USHER IN CHURCH. I WAS BAPTIZED, I REPRESENTED MY PROVINCE IN A REGIONAL QUIZ (RCCG). I know the bible

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by BrightEye(m): 10:25am On Sep 13, 2015
Freemanan:

Wow... You are a Christian and you Don't believe in Predestination? Wow....

No. I believe in predestination. Only not in a distorted manner, but in a way i described from my previous comment.
Re: Why Is There Evil And Where Does Evil Come From? by Nobody: 10:26am On Sep 13, 2015
Reyginus:
We will come that but let's address the freewill part thoroughly. So what do you think of the freewill argument?
I believe in Determinism... There is No such thing as Freewill... Everything has been ordained to happen in a particular pattern and irrespective of what We do, We still fall into the pattern ordained by nature and the terrestrial ball. I believe in predestination.

Man is not free. Man just want to think that he is free..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Muslim Kills Christian Wife For Leaving Islam in Uganda / Soaking Heart Touching Gospel Songs / Did God Want Adam And Eve To Eat The Forbidden Fruit? The Answer Is Yes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.