Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch (27113 Views)

Adetunji Becomes 41st Olubadan Of Ibadanland-the Punch / Ooni, Oba Aromolaran May Clash Over Osun Monarchs Council- Punch / How The Yoruba Can Deal With The Igbo....azuka Onwuka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by tonychristopher: 11:28am On Oct 02, 2015
favouredon:

Must u end ur comment with an insult? That is how to detect immature people. Even though they may be matured in age they are immature in reasoning.

Aturu is not an insult maybe it means something else in your lanagauge but in Igbo itvus something else

So what does aturu mean in your language ?

Lol

2 Likes

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by favouredon(f): 12:44pm On Oct 02, 2015
tonychristopher:

Aturu is not an insult maybe it means something else in your lanagauge but in Igbo itvus something else

So what does aturu mean in your language ?

Lol
Like u didn't read my initial comment very well. I am from Delta state. Oshimili North LGA and I speak my dialect which is very similar to the Igbo spoken in Onitsha very well. So what does Aturu mean?

1 Like

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by melzabull(f): 1:51pm On Oct 02, 2015
favouredon:

Like u didn't read my initial comment very well. I am from Delta state. Oshimili North LGA and I speak my dialect which is very similar to the Igbo spoken in Onitsha very well. So what does Aturu mean?
I am from ogwashi ukwu in aniocha south LGA, and I'm pure breed Igbo. I see no difference between me and our SE siblings. Stop trying to mislead uninformed and gullible people like yourself.

Igbo is Igbo irrespective of dialect or state. A few individuals in the time past for selfish political reasons have tried to plant the seed of division amongst .ignorant folks. Living in denial does change the FACT. It is what it is-the TRUTH!

You are a girl. If another girl out of 1million other girls tell you 'you are not a girl', does that mean you will start telling people that you are not a girl?

If being myopic is your forte, then keep it up.

4 Likes

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by favouredon(f): 2:01pm On Oct 02, 2015
melzabull:
I am from ogwashi ukwu in aniocha south LGA, and I'm pure breed Igbo. I see no difference between me and our SE siblings. Stop trying to mislead uninformed and gullible people like yourself.

Igbo is Igbo irrespective of dialect or state. A few individuals in the time past for selfish political reasons have tried to plant the seed of division amongst .ignorant folks. Living in denial does change the FACT. It is what it is-the TRUTH!

You are a girl. If another girl out of 1million other girls tell you 'you are not a girl', does that mean you will start telling people that you are not a girl?

Can u kindly tell me where I wrote in my post that I am not Igbo?
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by Antivirus92(m): 2:06pm On Oct 02, 2015
favouredon:

she didn't say you're not Igbo...she only said u should b proud of it and discouraging other ethnic Igbos of delta state like u once did in this thread

2 Likes

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by Antivirus92(m): 2:06pm On Oct 02, 2015
favouredon:

she didn't say you're not Igbo...she only said u should b proud of it and stop discouraging other ethnic Igbos of delta state like u once did in this thread

2 Likes

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by SonOfEl(m): 2:11pm On Oct 02, 2015
dhc:

I bear an ibo name unfortunately, but I'm from Ika "Agbor" in Delta.The person you are trying to correct is more accurate than you in miles.The statement in bold is wrong.I am not ibo and would NEVER EVER EVER like to be regarded as a part of that disgustingly accented and crafty tribe.

**claps for your stupidity** my cousins are from agbor and proudly IGBOS.... so go to hell.

2 Likes

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by melzabull(f): 2:51pm On Oct 02, 2015
favouredon:

Dear you didn't categorically say so, but I read your first comment and it was distasteful in a manner that suggests you have bought into the divisive antics propagated by the enemies of ndi Igbo, and i believe this is the reason why tonychristopher picked on you.

Please don't fall for the trick of those who are hell bent on creating disunity amongst Igbos using their propaganda to pitch SE Igbos against ethnic Igbos in delta. All my life I have not met any SE Igbo that discriminated against me or used derogatory remarks about me. Thanks!

4 Likes

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by melzabull(f): 2:53pm On Oct 02, 2015
Antivirus92:
she didn't say you're not Igbo...she only said u should b proud of it and stop discouraging other ethnic Igbos of delta state like u once did in this thread
Exactly my point!

1 Like

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by tonychristopher: 5:27pm On Oct 02, 2015
hmmm lol

so aturu means good gil

ewu means your nice
ikpu nnegi means your kini is great

that is igbo for u

but is it oshimili in delta of where

favouredon:

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by tonychristopher: 5:28pm On Oct 02, 2015
are you minding that nwa enwe

melzabull:
Dear you didn't categorically say so, but I read your first comment and it was distasteful in a manner that suggests you have bought into the divisive antics propagated by the enemies of ndi Igbo, and i believe this is the reason why tonychristopher picked on you.

Please don't fall for the trick of those who are hell bent on creating disunity amongst Igbos using their propaganda to pitch SE Igbos against ethnic Igbos in delta. All my life I have not met any SE Igbo that discriminated against me or used derogatory remarks about me. Thanks!
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by tonychristopher: 5:29pm On Oct 02, 2015
ggam

ogwusigo

SonOfEl:

**claps for your stupidity** my cousins are from agbor and proudly IGBOS.... so go to hell.
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by tonychristopher: 5:29pm On Oct 02, 2015
onye asi?

favouredon:

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by tonychristopher: 5:30pm On Oct 02, 2015
ada igbo ji eje mba

nwa oma
omalicha
asa nwa
omuma asa aru

idi mma

biko where is okeipku..i have found your missing rib finally...juokwa ese, rapu europe nota ba

melzabull:

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by tonychristopher: 5:33pm On Oct 02, 2015
stop lies, ancient benin never streched to river niger, what benin had was influence, benin was scared of anioma igbo, that was why they built moats and walls round that their diabolic city. Igbo was raiding them eveytime. Why then did benin build walls, then during mid west invasion...oba surrendered to biafran soilders within 24 hours

ngwanu oruo na omume...onye agba na oso

lezz:
Why do you challenge this?

The ancient benin empire even stretched to the river niger, covering several other tribes. It doesn't make the urhobos, ijaws, western igbos benin. The ancient British empire covered India, Africa, and Hong Kong but it doesn't make them British.
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by tonychristopher: 5:35pm On Oct 02, 2015
ikpu nnunnu

oh that is not insult na, it is praises

favouredon:

Must u end ur comment with an insult? That is how to detect immature people. Even though they may be matured in age they are immature in reasoning.
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by tonychristopher: 5:46pm On Oct 02, 2015
check my signature...it is for your types

daalu

favouredon:

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by favouredon(f): 5:50pm On Oct 02, 2015
tonychristopher:
check my signature...it is for your types

daalu

U are so disgusting. Bleep off
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by lezz(m): 5:59pm On Oct 02, 2015
tonychristopher:
stop lies, ancient benin never streched to river niger, what benin had was influence, benin was scared of anioma igbo, that was why they built moats and walls round that their diabolic city. Igbo was raiding them eveytime. Why then did benin build walls, then during mid west invasion...oba surrendered to biafran soilders within 24 hours

ngwanu oruo na omume...onye agba na oso

The ancient Benin empire stretched to banks of anioma side of river Niger. No lies told; none intended .
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by tonychristopher: 6:30pm On Oct 02, 2015
THEN WHY DID THEY BUILD WALLS AND MOATS AROUND THEIR TINY CITY, WHO ARE THEY AFRIAD OF?

ANSWER THAT QUESTION...BEFORE WE DO THE ANIOMA THING

lezz:
The ancient Benin empire stretched to banks of anioma side of river Niger. No lies told; none intended .
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by tonychristopher: 6:34pm On Oct 02, 2015
look at my signature...it is for your type

alika

favouredon:

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by lezz(m): 6:52pm On Oct 02, 2015
tonychristopher:
THEN WHY DID THEY BUILD WALLS AND MOATS AROUND THEIR TINY CITY, WHO ARE THEY AFRIAD OF?

ANSWER THAT QUESTION...BEFORE WE DO THE ANIOMA THING

The ancient Bini empire had some strife with old Oyo, that could be the reason. On the geographical spread of the old Bini empire see the excerpt below:
[/quote]By the middle of the sixteenth century, perhaps earlier, the Oba of Benin ruled over an area which spread from the region of modern Lagos to the Igbo-speaking communities of the present Delta State. Bradbury argues that it is clear that sentimental attachment to Benin and recognition of the Oba's temporal and spiritual authority did not necessarily depend on his ability to subdue a vassal by force of arms. Thus, for example, Lagos continued to pay tribute after it became a British Colony in 1861, and in the reign of Eweka I (the first Oba of the second period)--1914-1933--chiefs in the Ondo Province of Yorubaland appealed for the Oba's ruling in disputes over land and succession.[quote]

*this thread is closed anyway, no need to revive it with this*
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by tonychristopher: 6:59pm On Oct 02, 2015
This is the last submission I will give you...this was written by benin people themselves ...they admited that Igbo were invading them

5th
Oba Oguola
{About 1280AD-1295AD}
The successor to Ewedo would have been prince Obuobu who was engaged in endless wars in Ibo land. In his absence, his brother was crowned with the title Oba Oguola.

Oba Oguola dug the first and second moats to fortify the city from invaders from Udo. He further decreed that important towns and villages should build similar moats as defense systems around their communities. This has given rise to twenty of such moats around Benin City and its environs. He encouraged the systematic organization of the ancient guild of brass casting which was declining.

The war menace from Akpanigiakon of Udo was ended when the Oba defeated his foe at the battle of Urhezen about the year 1285.

http://www.edoworld.net/Obas.html

lezz:

The benin is overhyped

Igbo Invaded them during ancient days and they invaded them during modern warfare#

I will term Igbo Invasion of Idu(Edo) Ancient and modern
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by Nobody: 7:35pm On Oct 02, 2015
lezz:

This is often assumed rather than demonstrated/proven from the surviving traditions.

Besides Agbor and Ubulu-Uku, can anyone name any other Anioma town that Bini traditions explicitly mentions as having been defeated by Bini in war? [Ubulu-Uku won't even accept the Bini version of their encounter]

1 Like

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by lezz(m): 8:23pm On Oct 02, 2015
Radoillo:

This is often assumed rather than demonstrated/proven from the surviving traditions.

Besides Agbor and Ubulu-Uku, can anyone name any other Anioma town that Bini traditions explicitly mentions as having been defeated by Bini in war? [Ubulu-Uku won't even accept the Bini version of their encounter]
OK, accepted. But could you clarify the often repeated oral tradition that some ANIOMA often say they came from Bini. I find it ludicrous and don't believe it.

Any Ideas?
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by lezz(m): 8:32pm On Oct 02, 2015
tonychristopher:
This is the last submission I will give you...this was written by benin people themselves ...they admited that Igbo were invading them

5th
Oba Oguola
{About 1280AD-1295AD}
The successor to Ewedo would have been prince Obuobu who was engaged in endless wars in Ibo land. In his absence, his brother was crowned with the title Oba Oguola.

Oba Oguola dug the first and second moats to fortify the city from invaders from Udo. He further decreed that important towns and villages should build similar moats as defense systems around their communities. This has given rise to twenty of such moats around Benin City and its environs. He encouraged the systematic organization of the ancient guild of brass casting which was declining.

The war menace from Akpanigiakon of Udo was ended when the Oba defeated his foe at the battle of Urhezen about the year 1285.

http://www.edoworld.net/Obas.html

The benin is overhyped

Igbo Invaded them during ancient days and they invaded them during modern warfare#

I will term Igbo Invasion of Idu(Edo) Ancient and modern

Beautiful.
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by Nobody: 9:32pm On Oct 02, 2015
lezz:
OK, accepted. But could you clarify the often repeated oral tradition that some ANIOMA often say they came from Bini. I find it ludicrous and don't believe it.

Any Ideas?

There are lineages that certainly came from Benin, for example, the Umuidu in Ubulu-Uku who were remnants of the Bini army that once scoured the area. But like you, I'm not fully convinced that every town, village, hamlet in that area that claims Bini origin actually came from there.

People who were under the cultural or political influence of an important centre of culture (such as Benin was) often develop traditions and claims that they came from that cultural centre. And I think that is what happened in the Anioma case...for the most part.
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by lezz(m): 9:38pm On Oct 02, 2015
Radoillo:

There are lineages that certainly came from Benin, for example, the Umuidu in Ubulu-Uku who were remnants of the Bini army that once scoured the area. But like you, I'm not fully convinced that every town, village, hamlet in that area that claims Bini origin actually came from there.

People who were under the cultural or political influence of an important centre of culture (such as Benin was) often develop traditions and claims that they came from that cultural centre. And I think that is what happened in the Anioma case...for the most part.
Very well said. Thank you
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by darfay: 2:19am On Oct 03, 2015
favouredon:

Plz don't mind dat guy if we start ontop him matter we no go finish.just ignore him I even heared is an osu

1 Like

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by onenaira3: 4:21pm On Oct 03, 2015
Ymodulus:
Typing...

I expected you to outline the corruption characteristics of deltans.

1. Ex Governor of Delta state (Uduaghan) Budgeted 7.4Billion Naira for clearing grasses , shrubs , sands and trees around Asaba Airport.

2. Ex Delta Governor James Ibori has a high breaking corruption record. He stole a large amount.

3. Delta is the only state where 9 out of every 10 persons are billionaires yet there is nothing to show for it.

Finally its not about just calling big names. What have they achieved? How have the impacted on the masses.

With the high number of so called millionaires and famous names in the likes of

Francis Atuche ( Nigeria renowned Fraudstar )
Pat Utomi ( who was labelled a fake igbo when he wanted to contest the 2007 election by same igbo who want to call deltans theirs )
Pat. okorocha ( Current governor is a mouth maker )
Prof. Joseph Chike Edozien, CFR, JP, the Asagba
(traditional ruler) of Asaba - the oldest professor in Nigeria alive ( And what did he contribute? )
* Chief. Sonny Iwedike Odogwu, A Great Business Mogul ( Been a business man with no impact of his business on the people of Delta state )
* Dr. Andrew Azukaego Moemeka ( just a space blocker )
* Dr. Cyril Uchenna Gwam, Diplomat, international civil servant and international environmentalist ( environmentalist? Can't stop laughing where was he during the oil spilling and the Ken sawo wiwa case )
* Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, the current Managing Director of World Bank ( this one ruined our economy to shambles )
* Dr Elizabeth Isichei, prominent historian ( historian who don't want to tell you the real history of deltans )
* Dr. Isaac Nwaise, Epidemiologist and health economist
* Air-Marshal Paul Dike, former Chief of Defence Staff of Nigeria ( This is the same man igbos shouted is not a real igbo. After he was appointed and Mike okiro was to be made IGP igbos recounted their mistakes )
* Professor Augustine Onwuyali Esogbue, The only African included in NASA and Scientist ( Stop claiming he is an African he has no impact on deltans. Him been a Nasan adds nothing to Delta state. Or when last have your government spent money on space research? )
* Professor Buchi Emecheta, London Based Author ( So what is his article )
* Chukwurah Joseph Udeh OFR, Former Comptroller-General Nigerian Immigration Service ( you mean the man who hiked and changed several legal happenings in the custom services?)
* Prof Eric Opia, Former Governorship candidate of Delta State ( No impact )
* Mr Jim Ovia, M/D Zenith Bank ( MD my foot. Go to Ibusa the only bank there is that brought in by former MD of PHB bank who was sacked for fraud by the erudite scholar sanusi lamido sanusi. Seasoned economist
* Prof. Joy Ogwu, Former Mangaging Director of Nigeria Institute of International Affairs
* Professor Pat Utomi, Presidential Candidate and Founder of Lagos Business School ( he is the only deltan with a for sight who has made it. But igbos rejected him even after been married to an eastern wife )
* Tony Elumelu, MD of United Bank for AfricaAfrica ( Bank know for high rates and low ccare service is this an achievement? )

* Austine "Jay-Jay Okocha, Former Captain of Super Eagles of Nigeria ( how did is carrier ended with the super eagles? Because of 10million with defunct Savannah bank )
* Sunday Oliseh, Former Captain of super Eagles of Nigeria ( who is this one self. Nigerian present coach? What's are his achievement ? )

Nothing absolutely nothing to show for. Go to the south west and pick examples. Learn from seasoned aceyes tivist , politicians, business men and technocrats etc.

That's why people don't like you South West fools. When you aren't being praised and others are, your green eyes jealousy overtakes your limited brain. Buff00n. Keep hating. Delta is better than all your entire village and tribesmen
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by onenaira3: 4:29pm On Oct 03, 2015
favouredon:

You deserved the insult he gave you. You lucky he's the one that insulted you...I would have said worse

1 Like

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by favouredon(f): 8:14am On Oct 05, 2015
onenaira3:

You deserved the insult he gave you. You lucky he's the one that insulted you...I would have said worse
Go ahead

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

10 Things Most Nigerians Do Not Know About Slavery / Yoruba Peeps, Kini Oriki Ilu Re? / Photos Of Oba Elegushi, Ooni Of Ife And Oluwo Of Iwo Land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.