Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,258 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:20 AM

Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria (21975 Views)

16 Reasons Why Many Businesses Fail And How To Avoid Them / 8 Reasons Why 90% Of Nigerians Fail In Online Business / The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by sonnie10: 5:05pm On Sep 16, 2015
Don't forget to add witches. wink

But on a serious note, Nepa, insecurity, poor access to credit and information are the major reasons why new SMEs fail in Nigeria.
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by chichriso: 5:07pm On Sep 16, 2015
I believe that the main reason is power and location
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by Chartey(m): 5:08pm On Sep 16, 2015
stanodi:

Starting businesses is a dream of every entrepreneur. I and a business partner lost some few thousands shy of one million naira just over a year ago. We had undertaken a venture very optimistic of success. We had done the necessary calculations and we were dead-confident that our high-tech viewing centre at Iyana Ipaja would be a hit.
A year and half later; we were folding up. Months of planning and efforts had been wasted, monies had been blown down the drains, our landlord was already on our tails to either pay up as our rents had expired or uproot the structure we had constructed with the hope that it will stand for 10 years at least; we were in a fix. How did it all go wrong?
I will try to outline some of the reasons why I felt our business and other small businesses failed.

5 Reasons why businesses fail in Nigeria

1. Poor location; its been said over and over again; location is everything! We were swamped on every side by other viewing centres who had been in the business way before ours. Because of the way humans are wired, it’s not always easy for the customers to switch to a new brand, or product. Despite the projectors and other unique value propositions we were offering, we were still not making enough to run the business monthly. Its always good to go to a location where you can have the first mover advantage, we didn’t; we had to compete with businesses that had grown there over time and which people are now used to. I highly recommend the blue ocean strategy for small businesses about to start up. This book talks about the simultaneous pursuit of differentiation and low cost to open up a new market space and create new demand for businesses.

2. Misalignment with your customers; its imperative to define your customers and to align with them. This means seeing what they see, feeling what they feel, hearing what they hear, smelling what they smell; you need to do unto them as they would want to be done to. But we did the opposite; we did unto them as we would want to be done to. We were educated, we were technologically savvy, so we tried to revamp the way people watch matches in that neighbourhood. We provided them with technology at a little premium, when all they wanted was cheaper options. And we failed! Businesses that fail to align with their customer’s needs will eventually produce products and services that no one wants.

3. No staying power; its common knowledge that you may not make much money in the first few years in business; but you need to break even nonetheless. That means making enough money to cover your running costs for the period of time. We didn’t! Some businesses fold when they don’t make profit in the first few years. Just like we did.

4. Inappropriate business planning and execution. Some people get a fantastic idea and they rush off into production without any planning whatsoever. Without understanding their landscape. Without knowing if someone in their chosen market already is into similar business. There just seems to be lots of gap. Small businesses need to have a solid business plan. A good business plan not only helps when trying to secure finances for the business but it also aids in understanding different areas of the business and answering lots of question that that the business would need answers to later on. We at lightednation.com, can help you package a great business plan for your business. However execution is everything, you may have the best ideas, but when if you fail at execution, the idea amounts to nothing

5. Managerial inefficiencies; to run businesses successfully, the owners need to be actively involved. We were’nt, I and my partner were working 9 to 5 jobs. We rarely had time to monitor the proceeding albeit over the phone. What you don’t monitor efficiently you lose track of. We did.

There a lot of other reasons that I have not called out here. Please share and comment to help others get lighted!.

http://lightednation.com/2015/09/why-small-businesses-fail-in-nigeria/
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:08pm On Sep 16, 2015
4 is very important
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:08pm On Sep 16, 2015
Ewizard:
Very useful!
Number 5 is wat am facing ryt naw..
I jus realize d best way to get a job done is to do it yaself..
Ve already prepared ma resignation letter..
I gat to run ma biz maself!
Does it mek any sense bin an employer of labour and still b an employee to some freakin bastahdz all in d name of multiple streams of income??

Not much sense in that.
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by olaztek(m): 5:13pm On Sep 16, 2015
most new businesses fail owing to high production cost which inhibits owner's decision to set reasonable price for their product or service.
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:14pm On Sep 16, 2015
Mutuwa:
black belle too follow join

Bakin ciki grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by abat4real37(f): 5:14pm On Sep 16, 2015
Nice write up, + lack of adequate capital
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by nigeriancuban: 5:18pm On Sep 16, 2015
well some are quite true,the the two main factors for any Developing country is finance and entrepreneurship....e
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by InvertedHammer: 5:20pm On Sep 16, 2015
stanodi:

Starting businesses is a dream of every entrepreneur. I and a business partner lost some few thousands shy of one million naira just over a year ago. We had undertaken a venture very optimistic of success. We had done the necessary calculations and we were dead-confident that our high-tech viewing centre at Iyana Ipaja would be a hit.
A year and half later; we were folding up. Months of planning and efforts had been wasted, monies had been blown down the drains, our landlord was already on our tails to either pay up as our rents had expired or uproot the structure we had constructed with the hope that it will stand for 10 years at least; we were in a fix. How did it all go wrong?
I will try to outline some of the reasons why I felt our business and other small businesses failed.

1. Poor location; its been said over and over again; location is everything! We were swamped on every side by other viewing centres who had been in the business way before ours. Because of the way humans are wired, it’s not always easy for the customers to switch to a new brand, or product. Despite the projectors and other unique value propositions we were offering, we were still not making enough to run the business monthly. Its always good to go to a location where you can have the first mover advantage, we didn’t; we had to compete with businesses that had grown there over time and which people are now used to. I highly recommend the blue ocean strategy for small businesses about to start up. This book talks about the simultaneous pursuit of differentiation and low cost to open up a new market space and create new demand for businesses.

2. Misalignment with your customers; its imperative to define your customers and to align with them. This means seeing what they see, feeling what they feel, hearing what they hear, smelling what they smell; you need to do unto them as they would want to be done to. But we did the opposite; we did unto them as we would want to be done to. We were educated, we were technologically savvy, so we tried to revamp the way people watch matches in that neighbourhood. We provided them with technology at a little premium, when all they wanted was cheaper options. And we failed! Businesses that fail to align with their customer’s needs will eventually produce products and services that no one wants.

3. No staying power; its common knowledge that you may not make much money in the first few years in business; but you need to break even nonetheless. That means making enough money to cover your running costs for the period of time. We didn’t! Some businesses fold when they don’t make profit in the first few years. Just like we did.

4. Inappropriate business planning and execution. Some people get a fantastic idea and they rush off into production without any planning whatsoever. Without understanding their landscape. Without knowing if someone in their chosen market already is into similar business. There just seems to be lots of gap. Small businesses need to have a solid business plan. A good business plan not only helps when trying to secure finances for the business but it also aids in understanding different areas of the business and answering lots of question that that the business would need answers to later on. We at lightednation.com, can help you package a great business plan for your business. However execution is everything, you may have the best ideas, but when if you fail at execution, the idea amounts to nothing

5. Managerial inefficiencies; to run businesses successfully, the owners need to be actively involved. We were’nt, I and my partner were working 9 to 5 jobs. We rarely had time to monitor the proceeding albeit over the phone. What you don’t monitor efficiently you lose track of. We did.

There a lot of other reasons that I have not called out here. Please share and comment to help others get lighted!.

/
Everything you mentioned is secondary.

High cost of doing business is the problem. From registration, bribery, poor infrastructure, levies, taxation to extortion.The government fails to provide enabling environment for business to thrive. Financial conflict resolution is almost nonexistent legally. Two sets of people start businesses in Nigeria: 1). people who have no other options .2) Degenerate gamblers who have play money to risk.

Chance of survival long term is slim.
/
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by nigeriancuban: 5:23pm On Sep 16, 2015
all the more reasons you got to respect the ibo in this aspect,infact any business man without an IBO friend us already a 50% failure

1 Like

Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by GboyegaD(m): 5:24pm On Sep 16, 2015
Access to funds too is one of the major reason why small businesses fail. Our interest rates are killing.
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by freshdude99(m): 5:28pm On Sep 16, 2015
In summary you failed to plan not knowing you were planning to fail woefully!
Sorry sha, just have it in mind that entrepreneurs are made not born. For people like me, learning is continua, my signature says the rest...
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by Delafruita(m): 5:29pm On Sep 16, 2015
good analysis.however,my number one rule is to avoid debt at the business take-off and that includes rent.I made it a policy to always own the real estate upon which I will setup a business.I was offered a viewing center for sale a few months back but I backed out when the owner of the land upon which the business is refused to sell.I understand not everyone can follow that principle due to certain factors but for me,I rather invest in the real estate,then decide what business to setup after carrying out a feasibility study.for example,I finished a building in a good location early this year,made an error of renting out the ground floor then used the top for an eatery.we are breaking even because the location is great but not doing as well as we should because we're upstairs.if I rented the place,I might have no choice but to eventually fold up but since I own it,my lawyers served the occupant of the ground floor a notice to vacate.we will move the eatery downstairs and the top will be converted to a bakery.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by maestroz: 5:29pm On Sep 16, 2015
another challenge is

no traffic

you need the right traffic to pull sales.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:31pm On Sep 16, 2015
stanodi:

Well said.
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by freshdude99(m): 5:38pm On Sep 16, 2015
GboyegaD:
Access to funds too is one of the major reason why small businesses fail. Our interest rates are killing.
That's not true oga...
My project was on the challenges and prospects of innovative family businesses in Abuja. You will be surprised what my findings were after using regression analysis on the three parameters I tested: Access to finance, government policies and family business culture.
This thesis got me an A because it was really an eye opener for the doctors and professors present at my defence then.
Business culture ranks far ahead finance in the causes of business failure in Nigeria.
If you need a copy of my work, go to the library of entrepreneurship department Futminna... You will learn alot.
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by IBBG(m): 5:40pm On Sep 16, 2015
manny4life:
No 6. Relying solely on the "supposed" profits of the business as a form of sustenance... Unless you budgeted into the business to pay you salary say a couple of months, quitting your job and then thinking your business will sustain you is a good reason why businesses fail.

No 7. Finance... Can't stress this enough. Never venture into a business when you don't have proper financial planning in place... You're setting yourself up for failure. Even the small startups at some point sought financing and that's because there's was a plan in place for that.
thumbs up. so on point
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by fairprince(m): 5:42pm On Sep 16, 2015
dominique:
You need to do your homework before starting a business. The markets are getting saturated so you need to set yourself apart in terms of quality and service delivery. Never compromise standards to make more profits. And most importantly, commit the business to God's hand. If I'm ever going to go into business (which I hope to in the nearest future), I'll examine the location, what really moves in such an area. I'll prefer to go into consumables as people will run out of it and come back for more.

Excellent points Op.
consumables are good, but the margins are thin! Check it well before you go into it... and not just because it is more convenient to set up. Cheers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by drnelson: 5:47pm On Sep 16, 2015
stupid article

these are the real reasons.

1) High interest rates from banks.
2) No power supply from government.
3) Constant harassment from local authorities.
4) Weak Naira leading to less purchasing power of people and high cost of import.
5) lack to affordable educated employees.
[size=18pt][/size]
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by fairprince(m): 5:48pm On Sep 16, 2015
freshdude99:

That's not true oga...
My project was on the challenges and prospects of innovative family businesses in Abuja. You will be surprised what my findings were after using regression analysis on the three parameters I tested: Access to finance, government policies and family business culture.
This thesis got me an A because it was really an eye opener for the doctors and professors present at my defence then.
Business culture ranks far ahead finance in the causes of business failure in Nigeria.
If you need a copy of my work, go to the library of entrepreneurship department Futminna... You will learn alot.
yes what you said is true. But then, I would suggest you allow an experienced businessman tell you exactly how finances help businesses. None of the factors, finance inclusive shld be taken in isolation. However on paper, our theories work well. But in practice, finance is key. You need finance to fight the competition war, to edge out competition with price war, to key into promos by supplier with lower prices, to even stock up for hoarding or in anticipation of price increases and to get what customers want always. But like I said other factors are important. To me from experience, finance is my number 1 issue.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by IBBG(m): 5:56pm On Sep 16, 2015
all contributors to this write up do have a valid point.
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by otiigba1(m): 5:57pm On Sep 16, 2015
Real estate or properties is the business in nigeria, you can never go wrong. Trust me i know. It doesn't matter were you, build it they will rent it.
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by dominique(f): 6:00pm On Sep 16, 2015
fairprince:
consumables are good, but the margins are thin! Check it well before you go into it... and not just because it is more convenient to set up. Cheers

Thanks for the tip. I intend to do a lot of research before dabbling into anything.
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by GboyegaD(m): 6:05pm On Sep 16, 2015
freshdude99:

That's not true oga...

I did not say it is the only one. I said it is one of the major ones. Business culture could also be one of the major reasons we fail in small business no doubt.
Oga, I am interested in your research and i would like to know some basics. How many people are in your sample and how representative are they? How many of them are into business? In your sample, did you try to control for family business that were not requiring a loan for start up?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by aleem50(m): 6:15pm On Sep 16, 2015
I can't do without business in my life.
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by zynzyn(m): 6:23pm On Sep 16, 2015
stanodi:

1 reason

Small business managers in Nigeria start losing financial discipline once the business starts generating money!

Their public profiles blow out of proportion. They start dipping into company funds!

No strong desire to create a legacy that will outlive them and provide good employment for people they are not related to! angry

Unlike Oyinbos. You will see small businesses in Europe that have survived for centuries!!

1 Like

Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by jaz(m): 6:24pm On Sep 16, 2015
i totally agree.
kolokolobi:
A few observations.
All new businesses don't have to operate in blue ocean strategy. If you get your business to start off in blue ocean strategy, it's good but remember that after a while copy cats will come in and all will be within porters five forces.
You said it all when you said you and your partner where busy with so many other things. New businesses need nurture and attention until you grow it and it's people to move on. Remember that as leaders your job is to develop and articulate a compelling strategically relevant vision for your team. Until your team members get that vision and begin to live it you can not take your eyes off.
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by freshdude99(m): 6:37pm On Sep 16, 2015
GboyegaD:

I did not say it is the only one. I said it is one of the major ones. Business culture could also be one of the major reasons we fail in small business no doubt.
Oga, I am interested in your research and i would like to know some basics. How many people are in your sample and how representative are they? How many of them are into business? In your sample, did you try to control for family business that were not requiring a loan for start up?
All the information you seek all there for you to see. Sample size was well above 100, all of them actively in business. Target sample covered the six area councils in Abuja. Just go there, the work is there for you to have a feel. Tnx
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:41pm On Sep 16, 2015
mayorkyzo:
Very insightful indeed..i'm about starting a small business and have to say this little article has helped..thanks..
what business?
Re: Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria by abbey621(m): 6:41pm On Sep 16, 2015
drnelson:
stupid article

these are the real reasons.

[b]1) High interest rates from banks.
Nonsense, not all small businesses need financing and not all borrow from banks.
2) No power supply from government. Another idiotic statement, seek alternate source of energy or stop relying heavily on electricity.
3) Constant harassment from local authorities.
4) Weak Naira leading to less purchasing power of people and high cost of import. Not all businesses import or export, some survive based on local resources.
5) lack to affordable educated employees. Another misyarn! Nigeria still remains one of the cheapest countries for labor, educated or uneducated. We have minimal labor laws and most people don't even know they have rights! [/b][size=18pt][/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Major Problems We Entrepreneur's Face / Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation / Organic Cream Mixing Ebook- Be Your Own Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.