Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,252 members, 7,818,873 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway - Travel (104) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway (552520 Views)

Over 100 Nigerians deported from Norway, three others / Nigerian Friends In Oslo/sandefjord Norway / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (154) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by summerset: 9:17am On Aug 16, 2020
olujastro:

No.
I got married to the Canadian prime minister's daughter, did a quiet wedding.

grin grin grin grin grin grin,No be only wedding,how about naming ceremony?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by olujastro: 9:30am On Aug 16, 2020
summerset:

grin grin grin grin grin grin,No be only wedding,how about naming ceremony?
This thread is for people interested in Norway, not those heading for Cotonou.
Check the travel section for your thread, or the romance section where you most likely belong.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by summerset: 9:32am On Aug 16, 2020
angry
olujastro:

This thread is for people interested in Norway, not those heading for Cotonou.
Check the travel section for your thread, or the romance section where you most likely belong.
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by amaka157: 9:37am On Aug 16, 2020
olujastro:

No.
I got married to the Canadian prime minister's daughter, did a quiet wedding.

My friend who finished her masters at UiT Tromso also moved to Canada... Am beginning to think it's easier to move to other countries from Norge.. best of luck @olujastro
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by CuteTj(m): 10:58am On Aug 16, 2020
trinityconcept:
Pls what advice do you have for someone with a relatively low cgpa 3.08

Will going for a pgd here enhance my chances of getting masters?
Most schools request for a 2.1 and above because of the competitiveness of getting admission in some of their programmes.

But dont be scared. Even with a 1.0 gp (i am obviously joking) you can gain admission to some programmes e.g Bsc/Mc English, Bsc/Msc Primary School Teacher and some other courses that do not get too many applicants. While with 3.08, you definitely will not get into Psychology, Aviation, some serious engineering courses and other most sought after courses.

Ultimately, you gaining admission depends on the number of applicants also seeking for a place in that same programme/school. With your 3.08 you may not stand a chance and also with your 3.08, you should be admitted to a programme. It all depends on the number you are competing with for a place.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by CuteTj(m): 11:07am On Aug 16, 2020
@ amaka157

A friend of mine moved from Oslo to the U.K then finally to Canada after his Msc. I think the exposure they get in Norge coupled with the education opens more doors for someone.

I think people leave Norge to Canada because of the great economy, how immigration friendly they and also no language barrier.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by amaka157: 11:37am On Aug 16, 2020
CuteTj:
@ amaka157

A friend of mine moved from Oslo to the U.K then finally to Canada after his Msc. I think the exposure they get in Norge coupled with the education opens more doors for someone.

I think people leave Norge to Canada because of the great economy, how immigration friendly they and also no language barrier.

You are right @cuteTj cos before my friend's Norge journey.., she had tried Canada route severally to no luck... But just few months after her studies in Norge, she got Canadian visa.. may God help our country Nigeria...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by amanze54: 6:44pm On Aug 17, 2020
Hello guys I have got my IELTS ready, got my Transcript in place, I have also put aside the block account fund,
Please when is the fund transfer to the school? Immidiately offer letter is gotten?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by amanze54: 6:49pm On Aug 17, 2020
Also I have been seiving through program that has partway to PhD.
I don't know if it is proper to send mails to schools for further information on this or do independent search on my own
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Arinze01(m): 8:50pm On Aug 17, 2020
amanze54:
Hello guys I have got my IELTS ready, got my Transcript in place, I have also put aside the block account fund,
Please when is the fund transfer to the school? Immidiately offer letter is gotten?

Yeah! Immediately you get your admission letter. On the letter, there are loads of information on how,when(the deadline) to transfer the stated fund.

Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Arinze01(m): 8:56pm On Aug 17, 2020
amanze54:
Also I have been seiving through program that has partway to PhD.
I don't know if it is proper to send mails to schools for further information on this or do independent search on my own

You can do a further research which broadens and broadens your knowledge and you could also send a mail to the stated school to get a first-hand information. They're in the best position to guide you.

Additionally, on PhD pathway, if it was stated that there's a further study option,then there's a further study option. No worries Man!

Cheers!!
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by amanze54: 9:48pm On Aug 17, 2020
Arinze01:

You can do a further research which broadens and broadens your knowledge and you could also send a mail to the stated school to get a first-hand information. They're in the best position to guide you.

Additionally, on PhD pathway, if it was stated that there's a further study option,then there's a further study option. No worries Man!

Cheers!!
Thanks bro, I hope we keep in touch. I will soon narrow down my search to two schools.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Arinze01(m): 10:06pm On Aug 17, 2020
amanze54:

Thanks bro, I hope we keep in touch. I will soon narrow down my search to two schools.

No problems! I got your back and other prospectives too! If I may ask,which schools did you pick?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by amanze54: 8:57am On Aug 18, 2020
Arinze01:

No problems! I got your back and other prospectives too! If I may ask,which schools did you pick?
The schools are
NTNU and University of Oslo,
I am thinking that as black students, it will be better I focus on the capital city of Oslo for ease of integration and students job
What is your school choice and what was your reason for the selection?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Arinze01(m): 10:48am On Aug 18, 2020
amanze54:

The schools are
NTNU and University of Oslo,
I am thinking that as black students, it will be better I focus on the capital city of Oslo for ease of integration and students job
What is your school choice and what was your reason for the selection?

Lol nice thought BTW. I chose UiS, Nord and NMBU. Stavanger is a cosmopolitan state likewise Oslo,touted as the oil capital of Norway -and I definitely love where it's situated (south western) and trucks of tourist sites to catch fun and down stress. I kinda love UiS programme syllabus for my preferred course,It aligns with my ephemeral and long term goals.

Ultimately, I pray we find favour and grace. All on God!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by amanze54: 6:42pm On Aug 18, 2020
Arinze01:

Lol nice thought BTW. I chose UiS, Nord and NMBU. Stavanger is a cosmopolitan state likewise Oslo,touted as the oil capital of Norway -and I definitely love where it's situated (south western) and trucks of tourist sites to catch fun and down stress. I kinda love UiS programme syllabus for my preferred course,It aligns with my ephemeral and long term goals.

That is fine, you must have done a long back ground study on Norway, though I have a heavy work schedule where I am working but I will catch up with you soon
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by IAMBlesssed(f): 7:19pm On Aug 18, 2020
[quote author=Arinze01 post=92949479]

Ultimately, I pray we find favour and grace. All on God![/quote

Good evening Arinze.
pls I want to know whether PhD students are mandated to present IELTS ?

Secondly, how's PhD program generally in Norway?
Thanks
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by IAMBlesssed(f): 7:20pm On Aug 18, 2020
Arinze01:

Good evening Arinze.

Thanks
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Arinze01(m): 7:51pm On Aug 18, 2020
IAMBlesssed:

Good evening Arinze.

Thanks

Hei!

From the best of my knowledge, it depends on the individual institution. Some does ask and some doesn't. Moreover, I'm not in Norway, I'm just a prospective student. All I know about their PhD program is that PhD students are paid cos they're regarded as an employee and it makes one qualify for a PR after your PhD program(because you've paid tax to the govt). Also,you've 5yrs min post secondary education upon applying for a PhD programme( that's 3yrs bsc and 2yrs MSC). There are some conditions you've to fulfill to get your PR which is the language proficiency (Norwegian).

Moreso, I believe you need to research on the programs that has a PHD pathway and your research statement/plans aligns with ur prospective supervisor . Their contacts and gmail account are readily available on each school's website..It's up to you to research more.

Additionally, I shared a link in the previous thread for PhD and post doctoral openings.

Best of luck!
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Arinze01(m): 7:56pm On Aug 18, 2020
I feel the gurus should share their experience in Norway. Let's hear their tales and deduce from it. I know everyone's kinda busy doing one or two but a summarized anecdote would help us especially we the prospectives for 2021, the incoming students of 2020 and the future applicants.

Thanks in anticipation!
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by IAMBlesssed(f): 8:36pm On Aug 18, 2020
Arinze01:

Hei!

From the best of my knowledge, it depends on the individual institution. Some does ask and some doesn't. Moreover, I'm not in Norway, I'm just a prospective student. All I know about their PhD program is that PhD students are paid cos they're regarded as an employee and it makes one qualify for a PR after your PhD program(because you've paid tax to the govt). Also,you've 5yrs min post secondary education upon applying for a PhD programme( that's 3yrs bsc and 2yrs MSC). There are some conditions you've to fulfill to get your PR which is the language proficiency (Norwegian).

Moreso, I believe you need to research on the programs that has a PHD pathway and your research statement/plans aligns with ur prospective supervisor . Their contacts and gmail account are readily available on each school's website..It's up to you to research more.

Additionally, I shared a link in the previous thread for PhD and post doctoral openings.

Best of luck!

OK. Thanks a lot
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Easternheart: 10:04pm On Aug 18, 2020
NTNU finally responded to the email I sent them about English requirements for Nigerians.

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Arinze01(m): 10:16pm On Aug 18, 2020
Easternheart:
NTNU finally responded to the email I sent them about English requirements for Nigerians.

Stupendous! @ amanze,they've waived the proficiency test for you.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by amanze54: 11:17pm On Aug 18, 2020
Arinze01:

That's cool, though I didn't want to take chances, I wrote my IELTS early this year cos I wanna be prepared
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Easternheart: 12:14pm On Aug 19, 2020
Arinze01:

I'm not sure if it was waived. I think to submit a strong admission application, the English test is still needed.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by trinityconcept(m): 8:13pm On Aug 19, 2020
CuteTj:

Most schools request for a 2.1 and above because of the competitiveness of getting admission in some of their programmes.

But dont be scared. Even with a 1.0 gp (i am obviously joking) you can gain admission to some programmes e.g Bsc/Mc English, Bsc/Msc Primary School Teacher and some other courses that do not get too many applicants. While with 3.08, you definitely will not get into Psychology, Aviation, some serious engineering courses and other most sought after courses.

Ultimately, you gaining admission depends on the number of applicants also seeking for a place in that same programme/school. With your 3.08 you may not stand a chance and also with your 3.08, you should be admitted to a programme. It all depends on the number you are competing with for a place.

Thanks

Make I go look for one yeye course apply for��
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Dumebi213: 9:24pm On Aug 19, 2020
trinityconcept:

Thanks

Make I go look for one yeye course apply for��

While you are looking for "yeye course"

Note that it's not only about your CGPA or competition for place

They also use the courses you took as an undergraduate so even you have appropriate CGPA and there is low competition

If you don't fulfil subject requirement, you might be refused admission

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by CuteTj(m): 10:18pm On Aug 19, 2020
@ Dumebi213

I was going to let him know that. He should not get too excited about selecting a "yeye course."

@ trinityconcept, what do you originally plan on studying and not your "yeye course" backup program?? Let me help you find out how many other applicants you may likely be competing against.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Juoflife1(f): 2:51pm On Aug 20, 2020
Thanks.
Studyinnorway didn't give me any results.
free-apply.com brought out 6 schools for me but non is close to fredrickstad. I will look for an alternative.
Arinze01:

Click on this website www.studyinnorway.no and filter to your preference.. It's self-explanatory.

Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by trinityconcept(m): 2:57pm On Aug 20, 2020
I did biochemistry first degree,
I want to apply for public health or global health

But if that will be very competitive I don't mind going for biotechnology or biochemistry msc.

CuteTj:
@ Dumebi213

I was going to let him know that. He should not get too excited about selecting a "yeye course."

@ trinityconcept, what do you originally plan on studying and not your "yeye course" backup program?? Let me help you find out how many other applicants you may likely be competing against.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Arinze01(m): 3:13pm On Aug 20, 2020
Juoflife1:
Thanks.
Studyinnorway didn't give me any results.
free-apply.com brought out 6 schools for me but non is close to fredrickstad. I will look for an alternative.

I don't get your message, Ma'am. Pls explain explicitly. To access Norway's University, one is to use www.studyinnorway.no
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Arinze01(m): 4:25pm On Aug 20, 2020
trinityconcept:
I did biochemistry first degree,
I want to apply for public health or global health

But if that will be very competitive I don't mind going for biotechnology or biochemistry msc.

No one here has a say or can predict application outcome. We only advise and guide. But if your undergraduate courses aligns with the intended MSC academic requirements and equals the needed ECTS, then you should apply.

My advise is to apply to all schools that matches your bsc requirements and hope for the best. You could be lucky - and note that high cgpa isn't the only determinant to being accepted for MSC studies in Norway. There are other considerations like ECTS requirements et al.

Aim for the moon(all) and if you miss you could be among the stars(receive admission to one or 2 perhaps).

Immense luck!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (154) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.