Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

"Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" (3445 Views)

Another White Elephant Project?????????????::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: / Ijaw Leaders: Fashola Is Better Than Amaechi. Lambast Amaechi For His White Elephant Projects. / Efcc, Icpc, Ndlea Are ‘white Elephant Agencies’ – Psc ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by EloSela(f): 7:40am On Apr 13, 2009
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Badriyyah(f): 9:29am On Apr 13, 2009
lol, What did you expect?
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by EloSela(f): 9:33am On Apr 13, 2009
Tinapa looked impressive on paper.

I had great hopes for it. They desperately need to come up with a new strategy to get the place moving. If this place is going to cater to the average Nigerian then a new shopping model needs to be developed that will get Nigerians visiting and shopping. Do away with the western model as that won't work in a Nigerian setting.
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by MrCrackles(m): 9:37am On Apr 13, 2009
It is a shame if we cant even get Tinapa running at full potential, despite all the initial hype!

What is the point of coming up with other similar projects?

I tire!!
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by redsun(m): 10:05am On Apr 13, 2009
Quite exciting,especially the DASH and Chimps part but a lot of rooms for improvement,some how we have to find alternative to bush meat hunting by developing our animals domestication market and make meat cheaply available while preserving the wild.
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by blacksta(m): 10:35am On Apr 13, 2009
redsun:

Quite exciting,especially the DASH and Chimps part but a lot of rooms for improvement,some how we have to find alternative to bush meat hunting by developing our animals domestication market and make meat cheaply available while preserving the wild.

Out of everything you saw in the video  i am surprised you are only interested in bush meat development or animals alternatives what about people and infrastructure development
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by redsun(m): 11:09am On Apr 13, 2009
It is all about the people,using what you have to get what you need.Wild and animal preservation are just as important as human development,they all go hand in hand,the local people can live of their own natural resources through conservations and eco-tourism.

A lot of animals have gone extinct in nigeria because of lack of initiatives to domesticate,things civilizations have been doing for thousands of years,na wah for us o.
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by redsun(m): 11:15am On Apr 13, 2009
We don't know Bleep all about our surrounding,that is why we don't know what we are doing,not even flies are as ignorant of natural mechanism as we tend to be.
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Kobojunkie: 1:51pm On Apr 13, 2009
shocked oh my gosh!!! 500 Billion Naira Who here claims that project is a success? Please show us some proof of this claim. In fact, I should start by asking how we actually measure success in Nigeria.
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by oderemo(m): 2:03pm On Apr 13, 2009
oh my gosh!!! 500 Billion Naira Who here claims that project is a success? Please show us some proof of this claim. In fact, I should start by asking how we actually measure success in Nigeria.

thought you new that by now . let me start
1. how many thieftancy ittle you can amass from, Dr. mrs.chief to proff. obe. bcbb.itv etc :
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Kobojunkie: 2:09pm On Apr 13, 2009
I know OF Tinapa, just did not realize that it is yet to kick off. I remember back during Obj’s time when the project was initially proposed. I wondered why the location was chosen but assumed those who came up with the idea already researched this to ensure it was the best for such a project. I did not know it was this bad. I had some friends who sang songs of praises of the project to me over the years; didn’t realize that the place is likely still deserted. WOW! I mean it has been at least 4 years.
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Nobody: 2:11pm On Apr 13, 2009
Should we be attacking lack of continuity or attacking those who dared to hope

Its not like Tinapa was an immaginary project that never existed, some infrastructures are actually on ground to show that someone somewhere was trying to do something.

What is more important, to foster pessimism and make jest of those who made an attempt or to see whether we can get Tinapa to be running and productive.

The solution to Nigeria's industrialization is through having business parks like these where we can start by finding energy solution for business to thrive. Great Nations built there nations block by block, they did not undermine attempt at success.

Because right now some people will want to make so much noise about the success story Lagos has become under Governor Fashola. But if all you want to do is find knocks in what Fashola is doing, you will surely find them.

People learn to hope and encourage attempts at making a difference. Those who used there state money for private use in the last dispensation are yet to be put behind bars. Tinapa does exist, it is just not functioning. Why cant the current Gov Imoke regime work with Yar'adua to make it function?
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Kobojunkie: 2:17pm On Apr 13, 2009
ode remo:

1. how many thieftancy ittle you can amass from, Dr. mrs.chief to proff. obe. bcbb.itv etc :

I meant success of projects.
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Nobody: 2:31pm On Apr 13, 2009
Where is Yar'adua's project in Katsina? He did not even put up a block to build a hospital to cure himself yet he is our President.

Where is Ibori's Project , yet he is running the show in Nigeria?

Where is Tinubu's Project?

Where is Udenwa's Project? , yet he is the current cormerce and industry minister

Where is Sam Egwu's project? , yet he is Education minister today.

Where is Adamu Aliero's project? , yet he is FCT minister.

Where is Jonathan Goodlucks project? , yet he is the Vice President.

Gov Donald Duke at least dared to dream given the little resources he had as Governor of cross river state. Tinapa as at today is still the property of Cross River State Government.

And we are here making jest of those who even dared to of having a regional free trade zone.

Kobojunkie FYI: Tinapa was sited in Calabar because its a Cross River State Government initiated project. The Governor of Cross River State can not possibly site Tinapa in Lagos.
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by mustafar1: 3:41pm On Apr 13, 2009
The Anti-NAYSAYERS have gathered.
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Kobojunkie: 3:51pm On Apr 13, 2009
must_a_far:

The Anti-NAYSAYERS have gathered.

I see you are awake!! lol
EloSela:

Tinapa looked impressive on paper.
I had great hopes for it. They desperately need to come up with a new strategy to get the place moving. If this place is going to cater to the average Nigerian then a new shopping model needs to be developed that will get Nigerians visiting and shopping. Do away with the western model as that won't work in a Nigerian setting.
Yes oooH!!!! Never mind that the failure is potentially as a result of inadequate planning on the side of those who funded this plan, it is definitely the western model of the design that is the problem. Yeah, what we need is to pump maybe another Naira 100 billion into Africanizing the whole project. I mean that will definitely heal Tinapa!! BRILLIANT!!! Lol
I can’t even imagine cost of maintenance of such a complex, let alone repairs that the people will be paying out of pocket on this.
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by mustafar1: 4:17pm On Apr 13, 2009
awake ke, was i asleep? hmmmm maibe im sleep-typing. dont be so sure about my being awake. grin grin grin

why are you people talking like this? during that time did any state government think of doing such marvelous thing in their state. Duke is the bestestest governor cross rivers has ever tried to have. grin grin
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Kobojunkie: 5:29pm On Apr 13, 2009
must_a_far:

why are you people talking like this? during that time did any state government think of doing such marvelous thing in their state. Duke is the bestestest governor cross rivers has ever tried to have. grin grin
That is exactly why I question our readiness for change in Nigeria. We are still busy picking and fighting for those we have made our favorites. Instead of uniting to push for improved accountability and integrity across the board, we still have people lampooning their fellow Nigerian/neighbor in their bid to guard possible crooks.
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Badriyyah(f): 5:36pm On Apr 13, 2009
Why Nigerians will never progress?? NL is a good example.

Go to the Culture section and see one tribe insulting another.

Go to the Religion section and see one religion insulting another.

How can we progress when we can't even get along.
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Nobody: 5:42pm On Apr 13, 2009
making change includes rewarding success

If we make those who attempted to make a difference a target of ridicule while taking our eyes off the good-for-nothing, do-nothing leaders. We will end up in a situation where lying low-eating money-and doing nothing becomes the cardinal rule to success in politics in Nigeria.

Immagine making fun of Fashola for attempting to make a difference while the likes of Alao Akala are quietly eating their money stress free.
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by mustafar1: 5:43pm On Apr 13, 2009
Kobojunkie:

That is exactly why I question our readiness for change in Nigeria. We are still busy picking and fighting for those we have made our favorites. Instead of uniting to push for improved accountability and integrity across the board, we still have people who lampooning their fellow /neighbor in their bid to guard possible crooks.

Kobojunkie, you have come with ur 'bad belle' again?  grin grin you know some people are public figures/elders and as such should be accorded respect even when they steal from us. how dare we question our leadSTEALers while we all know "if we are also given the chance we would also LeadSTEAL". you dont know how things work here, "when was the last time you were in nigeria?"
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Kobojunkie: 5:47pm On Apr 13, 2009
must_a_far:

Kobojunkie, you have come with ur 'bad belle' again?  grin grin you know some people are public figures/elders and as such should be accorded respect even when they steal from us. how dare we question our leadSTEALers while we all know "if we are also given the chance we would also LeadSTEAL". you dont know how things work here, "when was the last time you were in nigeria?"

Bad belle-a-plenty oo!!!  roflmao!!!

We have the "Obj Buddies", the "IBB goons", the "Soludo Squad",” “Adedibu Angels”, the "Agberos for Fashola" squadron, the “Dora ”the explorer” saints”, the “WE ARE THE PATRIOTS AND EVERY OTHER NIGERIAN IS NOT” group  etc. Up until recently we had the “Yar adua For Change” gang, lol .  How many people do we have actually fighting on the side of “FREEDOM AND RESPECT FOR THE NIGERIAN PEOPLE” team or the "RIGHTS AND RESPECTS FOR ALL NIGERIANS" group?? How many of these are also fighting for the people then when we claim that change is what we want? How can we expect quality change when majority are still more interested in protecting and worshipping their "Favorite" political heroes?  Roflmao!!
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by mustafar1: 5:54pm On Apr 13, 2009
stop "roflmao"-ing you cloth go dirty. are you sure there r not more than those listed? cos i really dont want you marginalizing any group or group of groups. that would be an unacceptable act on ur end.

on a serious note, projects like those need to be thought out in full with all the worst case scenarios simulated before stuff like that are done. in the case of tinapa, the homework wasnt done in its entirety, unfortunately.
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Kobojunkie: 6:02pm On Apr 13, 2009
I do wonder if that Naira 500 Billion includes the monorail that was promised. Just imagine spending that amount on anything, only to have it sit like that.
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Nobody: 6:06pm On Apr 13, 2009
Include the Sitabroad-armchair-critics to ur list
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Kobojunkie: 6:10pm On Apr 13, 2009
must_a_far:

stop "roflmao"-ing you cloth go dirty. are you sure there r not more than those listed? cos i really dont want you marginalizing any group or group of groups. that would be an unacceptable act on ur end.
Roflmao!!! I can’t help it. It is seriously mindboggling. Now I included the etc there just for those groups I may have missed out. Of course the last thing I want to do is marginalize any group. I mean we are talking of Nigerian here when you have to specifically mention every group, tribal and non or else risk causing a riot of some sort. RoFLMAO!!!

must_a_far:
on a serious note, projects like those need to be thought out in full with all the worst case scenarios simulated before stuff like that are done. in the case of tinapa, the homework wasnt done in its entirety, unfortunately.
well, duh? Kind of like Obj’s plans to rebuild and restructure the power sector. Lol
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Kobojunkie: 6:20pm On Apr 13, 2009
Nigeria: Country Loses N219b Yearly On Tinapa

Calabar — Nigeria may be losing more than N219 billion annually to Dubai due to the failure of the Federal Government to approve the procedures and guidelines for the take-off of the Tinapa Business and Leisure Resort in Calabar, Cross River State.

THISDAY checks reveal that about 500 Nigerians travel to Dubai daily to shop and each of them spend about $10,000 (about N1.2 million) per trip to cover their airline tickets, hotel accommodation, local transportation, feeding, purchase of various goods and services as well as cargo insurance.

This shows that about $5 million (N600 million) leaves Nigeria each day or $1.825 billion (N219 billion) yearly, to improve the economy of Dubai. This is mainly because the Tinapa Business and Leisure Resort, built at an estimated cost of $450 million (about N54 billion), is not operational.

When THISDAY visited the project located at Adiabo in Odukpani Local Government Area of Cross River State, the place looked deserted with only a few shops open. Even the few open shops would not sell their wares to people for fear that they would incur the wrath of men of the Nigerian Customs Service.

At one of the shops rented by Vlisco, the management of the company pasted a notice on its doors that they they had been forced to suspend operations on the directives of Customs.

The notice read in part, "We are unfortunately unable to sell you any goods. We have been closed by Customs due to the non-gazetted situation of Tinapa Shopping Centre as a whole." They however said the management of Tinapa had assured them that the issues would be resolved soon.

Some officers of the Customs were also seen moving around the Site apparently to ensure that the few shops stocked with wares did not sell to people who troop in to the Resort to shop.

The Managing Director of Tinapa Business and Leisure Resort limited, Mr. Bassey Ndem said in Calabar Friday that the failure of the Federal Government to approve the Procedure and Guidelines for the operation of the Resort was responsible for the delay in the take-off of the project.

According to him, "the construction of Tinapa has been completed and all that remains is for the Federal Government to approve the Procedures and Guidelines that were jointly prepared by the same Government and private stakeholders since October 2007."

Ndem noted that while the Federal Government was foot-dragging in approving the regulatory framework for the project, the Cross River State Government was losing N3000 billion annually from economic and commercial activities that would have been generated at Tinapa.

"Indeed, the TINAPA project is sure to be a NEPAD Project for economic integration in the continent with an estimated cost of USD 450 million. With this capital base TINAPA is clearly one of the biggest investments on the African continent," he said.

He noted that the Dubai Government had realized that a sizeable portion of their revenue would be affected by the successful take-off of Tinapa and was already taking steps to shore up its revenue by investing in similar projects in Senegal and Ghana .

He noted that Dubai Government was investing $800 million (short term) and $3 billion (long term) on developing a tax and duty free leisure and business resort in Dakar and also taking over the Port in Dakar to make Senegal their trade hub in West Africa .

Dubai he also said had concluded arrangements to take over and rebuild the Ghanaian Free Trade Zone.

"What the Dubai Government has done is bring Dubai closer to Nigeria so that the $1.825 billion being spent by Nigerians remains within their control," he said considering the nearness of the two countries to Nigeria .

According to the Tinapa Managing Director, the two projects are a direct economic threat to Tinapa, Cross River State and the Federal Governemnt.

He said Tinapa was threatened because the entire investment of over N45 billion cold be wasted because of the non-approval of relevant federal authorities while Cross River State would lose the multiplier effects on the local economy and employment of more than 12,000 jobs.

The Federal Government, he said would also lose because as the single greatest beneficiary of Tinapa, it would lose custom duties, taxes, fees and tariffs for shipping lines, airlines, licenses and other sources of revenue.

"It appears indeed that there may be an official conspiracy to kill the Tinapa project even before it starts. While we play our Nigerian Geopolitical games and allow personal interests becloud the vision of Tinapa, the Dubai Government is moving forcefully to provide good roads, education, health, housing etc to its citizens using Nigerian resources in addition to its own," he said.

He called on the Federal Government to take appropriate steps to approve the Procedures and Guidelines so that the Tinapa project would take off fully.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200802090011.html
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by mustafar1: 6:26pm On Apr 13, 2009
Gerraway you sit-abroad critic!

Kobo, move back to nigeria so you'll become the S.I.N. critic. this ur sit abroad sturves is now over used. you need to rebrand u know. wink wink
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Kobojunkie: 6:39pm On Apr 13, 2009
must_a_far:

Gerraway you sit-abroad critic!

Kobo, move back to nigeria so you'll become the S.I.N. critic. this ur sit abroad sturves is now over used. you need to rebrand u know. wink wink

Please!!! You will see that even when I eventually move back full-time to Nigeria, there will always be a reason why demanding the people be accorded more respect and rights should never be high on the agenda.

I mean we have people like @Texazzpete, and the many other Nigerians, who live and work full-time in Nigeria, saying most the same things as I do. They call for people to wise-up, do the right things but No, why should these Nigerian Cyber slowpoke’s bullies listen to words from people like that. Why should they, when they can sit and bully and blame Nigerians living outside of Nigeria for all the quagmire and chaos in the country? Why should they, when they can easily blame all their woes on the Nigerians like @Texazzpete who gave up on waiting around for people to listen to them and decided to go pursue their dream of a better life where people will actually take them more seriously?
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by EloSela(f): 8:33pm On Apr 13, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I see you are awake!! lol Yes oooH!!!! Never mind that the failure is potentially as a result of inadequate planning on the side of those who funded this plan, it is definitely the western model of the design that is the problem. Yeah, what we need is to pump maybe another Naira 100 billion into Africanizing the whole project. I mean that will definitely heal Tinapa!! BRILLIANT!!! Lol
I can’t even imagine cost of maintenance of such a complex, let alone repairs that the people will be paying out of pocket on this.

LoL@ you trying to be sarcastic.

To clarify the new strategy I was thinking about involved making the place more accessible to ALL Nigerians and not just those that can afford to buy non-fake designer wares and goods.

There is always going to be shortage of such stores and shops to fill a development as vast as Tinaba, never mind customers but I am sure there is no shortage of the regular MamaPuts, carpenters and whatnots to open up shop there. Give the place some life so to speak and welcome all Nigerians not just the super rich ones. That strategy doesn't cost billions of naira. Sure the developers will lose money but at least they will have some trickling in. My vision was more of a an all purpose indoor market like Tejusho in Lagos but with a little bit of class. It is far removed from the western model of shopping malls but it would probably work and be successful as well as beneficial to the average Nigerian.
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Abagworo(m): 9:34pm On Apr 13, 2009
Nigeria is a funny country.how can tinapa work without access roads?good dualised highways must link aba and port harcourt to calabar.that's the only factor holding tinapa.anyone who has been to calabar will accept that it is the most beautiful city in nigeria but one glaring thing is the state of the narrow highway linking it to other major cities.
Re: "Nobody Goes To Nigeria"-"biggest White Elephant Ever" by Kobojunkie: 10:30pm On Apr 13, 2009
Abagworo:

Nigeria is a funny country.how can tinapa work without access roads?good dualised highways must link aba and port harcourt to calabar.that's the only factor holding tinapa.anyone who has been to calabar will accept that it is the most beautiful city in nigeria but one glaring thing is the state of the narrow highway linking it to other major cities.

wa ku re!!!

My uncle works out in calabar, I don't know how he does it but the roads are unbelievable!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Did Not "drop" Yar Adua's Name : Tinubu. / Police Still Mounting Check-points In Imo State. How About Your Area? / Mubi Residents Flew To Take Refuge On The Mountain Top (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.