Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,030 members, 7,810,836 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:38 PM

Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production (8289 Views)

Sokoto Discovers Coal In Commercial Quantity / Osinbajo Attends Wedding Ceremony Of His "Son" In Enugu State (Photos) / Edo Overtakes Enugu In Coal Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bigfrancis21: 6:46pm On Sep 19, 2015
Coal & Electricity

Modern life is unimaginable without electricity. It lights houses, buildings, streets, provides domestic and industrial heat, and powers most equipment used in homes, offices and machinery in factories. Improving access to electricity worldwide is critical to alleviating poverty.
Coal plays a vital role in electricity generation worldwide. Coal-fired power plants currently fuel 41% of global electricity. In some countries, coal fuels a higher percentage of electricity.

Coal in Electricity Generation

South Africa 93% Poland 87% PR China 79%
Australia 78% Kazakhstan 75% India 68%
Israel 58% Czech Rep 51% Morocco 51%
Greece 54% USA 45% Germany 41%

Source: IEA 2012

How is Coal Converted to Electricity?
Steam coal, also known as thermal coal, is used in power stations to generate electricity.
Coal is first milled to a fine powder, which increases the surface area and allows it to burn more quickly. In these pulverised coal combustion (PCC) systems, the powdered coal is blown into the combustion chamber of a boiler where it is burnt at high temperature (see diagram below). The hot gases and heat energy produced converts water – in tubes lining the boiler – into steam.

The high pressure steam is passed into a turbine containing thousands of propeller-like blades. The steam pushes these blades causing the turbine shaft to rotate at high speed. A generator is mounted at one end of the turbine shaft and consists of carefully wound wire coils. Electricity is generated when these are rapidly rotated in a strong magnetic field. After passing through the turbine, the steam is condensed and returned to the boiler to be heated once again.

The electricity generated is transformed into the higher voltages (up to 400,000 volts) used for economic, efficient transmission via power line grids. When it nears the point of consumption, such as our homes, the electricity is transformed down to the safer 100-250 voltage systems used in the domestic market.

Enugu State's Coal Production

Before the discovery of crude oil in Nigeria, Enugu's coal production used to be one of Nigeria's greatest source of revenue between 1916 and 1970, and completely stopped during the closure of the Nigerian Coal Corporation (NCC) based in Enugu particularly due to privatization policies by ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo. What used to be once functional coal mines are now left to shadows of their former selves, dilapidated and abandoned.

Coal exploration began proper in 1909, with production at the mines in Onyeama, Ogbete, Iva Valley and Okpara climbing from 25, 511 tons in 1916 to an estimated 583,422 tons before a decline set in during the Nigerian Civil War which started in 1967 and ended 1970. At the end of the war most parts of the South east had been ravaged and many expatriate mining experts, mostly from Britain and Poland had left Nigeria. The exit of experts coupled with the discovery of commercial quantity of crude oil which made the government to abandon coal resulted in the neglect and subsequent abandonment of the massive infrastructure at the mines managed by the Nigerian Coal Corporation (NCC). The NCC tried to manage operations unsuccessfully for another 30 years but the game was up. It finally folded up in 2002.

Revival of Enugu's Coal Production
There is an urgent need to revive Enugu's former coal production to an even greater capacity than before. Enugu state is said to have the highest coal deposits in Nigeria and hardly would one dig a borehole or foundation for a house without hitting coal. I am passionate about Enugu state because I am maternally from Enugu state, my mother being from Oji River LGA, and I did my undergraduate studies in Electrical Engineering at the University of Nigeria Nsukka campus in Enugu state. Most of my maternal cousins live in Enugu and I grew up visiting my maternal village in Enugu more often than my paternal village in Anambra state. I hold Enugu state very dear to me.

Enugu coal mines can be located at Amansiodo Coal Field, Ezinmo Coal Field, Inyi Coal Field etc. The Ezinmo Coal field, which stretches from Enugu to Benue state, is reported to be able to generate 1200MW of electricity. Additional electricity sources from other coal fields in Enugu state and neighbouring mines in Anambra, Anioma Delta could add an additional 5000MW of electricity, thus ensuring steady power supply in the south east and south south zones, inducing investors to the SE-SS zones to invest, given the steady electricity supply that drives business success.

Take the US for example, coal electricity generation accounts for nearly 40% of its total electricity production and this is the highest electricity production in the US, followed by natural gas electricity production at 27.4%. The United States is able to generate a total of
1,060,000MW of electricity for its population, with proposed additional energy additions coming from renewable energy sources.

Enugu state can achieve this. With all the coal mines in Enugu state, Anambra state, and Delta state put into maximum use, constant electricity supply will be achievable for the entire SE and SS zones, thus making the zones attractive for foreign investors, business owners, and general development of the zones. Millions of naira in business operating costs would be saved yearly from alternative electricity generation from generators by companies situated in these zones, businesses would be more efficient and effective, more entrepreneurs would be encouraged to open up businesses all over the zone creating more jobs for people of the zone, poverty levels would further be reduced, and standard of living would increase in the entire zone. An additional 5000MW of electricity could be generated from this zone alone, compared to the current 3800MW electricity generating capacity of Nigeria in general.

The Nigerian electricity power generation figures are dismal. As of December 2013, the total installed or nameplate capacity (maximum capacity) of the power plants was 6,953 MW. Available capacity was 4,598 MW. Actual average generation was a mere 3,800 MW.

Not to think of other production uses of coal such as in steel production, cement production, liquid fuels as alternative to crude oil, combustion products etc., leading to the establishment of steel, cement companies around the mines in the zone and generating additional revenue for the zone.

With the right minds, resources and brains put together, SE and SS zones could be transformed to a Dubai in just under 20 years. The natural resources are in great supply, the mental resources are ever in abundance and the viability is assured.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Ofodirinwa: 6:48pm On Sep 19, 2015
brilliant. You can't burst coal pipe lines and the prices doesn't fluctuate with the wind.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bigfrancis21: 6:56pm On Sep 19, 2015
Ofodirinwa:
brilliant. You can't burst coal pipe lines and the prices doesn't fluctuate with the wind.

Thanks. I suppose that you have ideas/experience with coal production.

What are other major advantages of coal production that you know of?

Taking the Okpara Mine for example, expected electricity generation from the mine is estimated to be at least 1.25MW of power, with an initial capital cost (cost of setting up the plant) of $1.5 million, expected annual operating costs (yearly amount of money spent while in business) of $207,000 and annual revenue (yearly amount of money generated in revenue mostly from tariffs) of $486,000. Realizable annual profits would be $279,000 or approximately N63 million yearly, at N225 exchange rate. With operating costs reduced, profits are expected to be higher.

With the privatization policies of Obasanjo, the NCC has lost its monopoly over coal production in Enugu state but ever since private electricity companies are yet to fill in the gaps created by the exit of the NCC. We need more and more private companies (single or joint) to take control of these mines once again and restore Enugu back to its past glory. Personally, I could raise $1.5 million in the next few years to establish a coal power plant in Enugu state. Other private investors and companies are highly encouraged to take control of other mines in the state.

2 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Udmaster(m): 6:56pm On Sep 19, 2015
Nice write up@OP.

5 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bigfrancis21: 7:11pm On Sep 19, 2015
pazienza, I see you looking around. I expect your comments and ideas on this. wink

2 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by CSTR2: 7:13pm On Sep 19, 2015
Leave those coal deposits alone for the future generation of ndi-igbo.
Nigeria does not deserve it.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bugzbunny: 7:18pm On Sep 19, 2015
How can the zoo venture into what will impart positively on the lives and economy of the easterners... The governors should start looking inwards and forget this feeding bottle arrangement..

1 Like

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by vani86: 7:19pm On Sep 19, 2015
OP brilliant write up.

1 Like

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bigfrancis21: 7:24pm On Sep 19, 2015
CSTR2:

bugzbunny:
How can the zoo venture into what will impart positively on the lives and economy of the easterners... The governors should start looking inwards and forget this feeding bottle arrangement..

This is actually a call for private investors to invest in electricity production that would serve the south east and south south zones specifically ensuring that the zone is viable for and attracts business investors.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Nobody: 7:28pm On Sep 19, 2015
If they have there way, they will strat lifting the coal to a federal govt built mine in Kaduna. Nigeria stinks

5 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Nobody: 7:29pm On Sep 19, 2015
well said.

brilliant idea
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by CSTR2: 7:30pm On Sep 19, 2015
bigfrancis21:

This is actually a call for private investors to invest in electricity production that would serve the south east and south south zones specifically ensuring that the zone is viable for and attracts business investors.
You are naive.
Any generated power is going into the so-called national grid.
Taxes generated by these so-called investors are definitely not going to the eastern region.

1 Like

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by gurujoe(m): 7:32pm On Sep 19, 2015
This is another reason i will support Biafra cause Nigeria don't know the value of Coal.
It might come as a surprise to many that coal is now more important to the South African economy than gold.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Nobody: 7:34pm On Sep 19, 2015
CSTR2:
You are naive.
Taxes generated by these so-called investors are definitely not going to the eastern region.
he doesn't know this is why private investors have refused to invest in the electricity industry of nigeria.

When you generate, you channel it to the national grid, you don't have control over distribution. It makes that sector frustrating for private investors, nnaji geometric power project has been frustrated in aba.

Nigeria stinks

3 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bigfrancis21: 7:37pm On Sep 19, 2015
CSTR2:
You are naive.

I am aware that it would go into the national grid, however, the energy produced can be channeled, if possible, in such a way as to support the SE and SS zones specifically. Of course, taxes would be paid to the federal government as supposed. The privatization policies of 1999 is to ensure that more and more private companies are involved in the electricity sector of Nigeria which would in turn lead to healthy competition amongst competitors and improved power supply in general.

With an additional 5000MW of electricity produced in Enugu state, majority of the power could be channeled to the aforementioned zones in particular by means of power isolation strategies.

1 Like

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bigfrancis21: 7:38pm On Sep 19, 2015
menabadoo:
he doesn't know this is why private investors have refused to invest in the electricity industry of nigeria.

When you generate, you channel it to the national grid, you don't have control over distribution. It makes that sector frustrating for private investors, nnaji geometric power project has been frustrated in aba.

Nigeria stinks

I am here to learn as much as I can, if that will help everyone understand better. Who has control over distribution? Could you explain more about this?

2 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by obailala(m): 7:39pm On Sep 19, 2015
Sometimes I just wonder what bureaucratic bottlenecks are stopping the government of Enugu state from reviving these mines. Everybody just sits back lazily waiting to receive monthly allocation from Abuja. Must we wait until we are starved before state governments start being proactive?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by asha80(m): 7:39pm On Sep 19, 2015
menabadoo:

Nigeria stinks
it was a fellow easterner that frustrated geometric power in aba

2 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Nobody: 7:42pm On Sep 19, 2015
Various electricity distribution companies will be incharge of the distribution, this power generated in enugu will be channeled to the national grid giving room for every distribution company (enugu, Benin, ibadan, eko, Ikeja, pH, Kaduna etc) electricity distribution companies will all benefit from it.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bigfrancis21: 7:42pm On Sep 19, 2015
asha80:

What actually happened?

3 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Nobody: 7:45pm On Sep 19, 2015
asha80:
fellow easterner or enugu electricity distribution company? Its still some how connected to govt policy.

Even if they decide to generate electricity from the coal mine, distribution will be a very big problem because enugu disco must bring their ugly head before any other body.

1 Like

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by pazienza(m): 7:45pm On Sep 19, 2015
bigfrancis21:
pazienza, I see you looking around. I expect your comments and ideas on this. wink

I will comment tomorrow Bro. I am kind of psychologically down now, Arsenal loss today got me real bad.

2 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by CSTR2: 7:56pm On Sep 19, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I am aware that it would go into the national grid, however, the energy produced can be channeled, if possible, in such a way as to support the SE and SS zones specifically. Of course, taxes would be paid to the federal government as supposed. The privatization policies of 1999 is to ensure that more and more private companies are involved in the electricity sector of Nigeria which would in turn lead to healthy competition amongst competitors and improved power supply in general.

With an additional 5000MW of electricity produced in Enugu state, majority of the power could be channeled to the aforementioned zones in particular by means of power isolation strategies.
It is not going to happen.
The FG will not allow any local advantage in electricity generation.
Any generated power must go to the national grid as a matter of law and then distributed throughout the country.
The improved electricity in eastern region would be marginal if noticeable at all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by asha80(m): 8:02pm On Sep 19, 2015
menabadoo:
fellow easterner or enugu electricity distribution company? Its still some how connected to govt policy.

Even if they decide to generate electricity from the coal mine, distribution will be a very big problem because enugu disco must bring their ugly head before any other body.
bigfrancis21:

What actually happened?

FG in 2005 carved out aba aba and ariaria district under Enugu distribution zone for geometric to build ,generate and distribute electricity within that carved out district...geometric finished building the power plant ready to power around 2 yrs ago..however owner of geometric barth nnaji was also power minister then and had to resign when privatization of discos commenced because a consortium which geometric was part of was bidding for Enugu disco..long and short of it is that he lost the bidding and the bid was won by Emeka offor led interstate for Enugu disco...now instead of interstate to respect the 2005 agreement of the carved out aba ana ariaria zone he sat on that agreement (due to his connection with the then vp sambo who was chairman of power privatization commitee)..nnaji's geometric power lost a lot of money due to lack of servicing of loans used for building the plant since it was not allowed to work..now the vp is no longer on seat due to change in leadership..what happens next? Bpe now realizes that geometric was supposed to power the aba district and now ordered Enugu disco run by interstate to hand over aba district to geometric (now afrigem since afrigem has bought over majority shares in geometric aba to cover for up for lost funds due to defaulting loans)..
Interstate now goes to court to get an injunction stopping the handover...bpe now says it can no longer handover that aba power to geometric/afrigem due to the fact that the case is now in court

http://businessdayonline.com/2015/07/nerc-bpe-validate-rights-of-geometric-over-aba-disco/

http://businessdayonline.com/2015/09/bpe-compels-enugu-disco-to-handover-aba-ring-fence-to-apl/

http://businessdayonline.com/2015/09/bpe-fails-to-hand-over-aba-ring-fence-to-geometric/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Ofodirinwa: 8:07pm On Sep 19, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Thanks. I suppose that you have ideas/experience with coal production.

What are other major advantages of coal production that you know of?

Taking the Okpara Mine for example, expected electricity generation from the mine is estimated to be at least 1.25MW of power, with an initial capital cost (cost of setting up the plant) of $1.5 million, expected annual operating costs (yearly amount of money spent while in business) of $207,000 and annual revenue (yearly amount of money generated in revenue mostly from tariffs) of $486,000. Realizable annual profits would be $279,000 or approximately N63 million yearly, at N225 exchange rate. With operating costs reduced, profits are expected to be higher.

With the privatization policies of Obasanjo, the NCC has lost its monopoly over coal production in Enugu state but ever since private electricity companies are yet to fill in the gaps created by the exit of the NCC. We need more and more private companies (single or joint) to take control of these mines once again and restore Enugu back to its past glory. Personally, I could raise $1.5 million in the next few years to establish a coal power plant in Enugu state. Other private investors and companies are highly encouraged to take control of other mines in the state.

I'm not in the industry so what I can tell you is common sense as opposed to expert analysis.
I will say this. Coal is impossible without rail. So at the moment, enugu, abia, rivers and ebonyi are the only parts of Igboland that coal is a possible option. If we're to generate to Imo and Anambra the supply chain is crucial and only possible in rail connected state.

Generation is fine but we need to think about distribution. Our powerlines are old and rotting. In building them we're also very impractical.
If we made our powerlines shorter, they'll be stronger and the poles less likely to bend and fall
If we make them underground they'll be almost impregnable.

Underground powerlines will cut our power nightmares in half
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Nobody: 8:08pm On Sep 19, 2015
Nigeria is evil

3 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by asha80(m): 8:11pm On Sep 19, 2015
Just imagine the idiocy of these group of traders..i feel like shooting these fools on the scrotum..idiots

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/news/s-east-traders-threaten-to-shut-down-markets-over-proposed-sale-of-aba-power-firm/111490.html

The FG should hand over to afrigem let me see them do their worst fools!

I am sure interstate led by offor is the one behind this..of course the traders don't know any better

MrEverest come see nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Nobody: 8:12pm On Sep 19, 2015
CSTR2:

Any attempt by Nigeria State or her agents to exploit or mine coal deposit in Enugu or any part of Igboland for the general use of the entire people of Nigeria will be met with vehement resistance.

8 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Nobody: 8:15pm On Sep 19, 2015
asha80:
Just imagine the idiocy of these group of traders..i feel like shooting these fools on the scrotum..idiots

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/news/s-east-traders-threaten-to-shut-down-markets-over-proposed-sale-of-aba-power-firm/111490.html

The FG should hand over to afrigem let me see them do their worst fools!
Nigeria is evil

2 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by asha80(m): 8:17pm On Sep 19, 2015
finniblinks:
Nigeria is evil
guy put the blame where the blame is

2 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bigfrancis21: 8:26pm On Sep 19, 2015
Ofodirinwa:

I'm not in the industry so what I can tell you is common sense as opposed to expert analysis.
I will say this. Coal is impossible without rail. So at the moment, enugu, abia, rivers and ebonyi are the only parts of Igboland that coal is a possible option. If we're to generate to Imo and Anambra the supply chain is crucial and only possible in rail connected state.

Generation is fine but we need to think about distribution. Our powerlines are old and rotting. In building them we're also very impractical.
If we made our powerlines shorter, they'll be stronger and the poles less likely to bend and fall
If we make them underground they'll be almost impregnable.

Underground powerlines will cut our power nightmares in half

Underground cabling is possible but its disadvantage lies in the difficulty to detect faults along power lines should they happen. The advantage of overhead lines over underground lines is the ease of electrical fault detection and solution in times of cable faults. Electrical equipment are available that assist in electrical fault detection along underground cables but overhead lines still bear a major advantage in this respect. Here in the US, overhead cables still run pretty much all over the US and are found mostly in residential areas and underground cables in office, industrial and high-rise building areas.

For Nigeria, a unique combination of both types of cabling to its maximum use would be effective.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos To Construct Additional Pedestrian Bridge At Ojota / It’s Bad To Put Mubarak In Cage – Obasanjo (fear Dey Catch Dem Small Small) / Prisoners In Nigeria Have Right To Vote In All Elections, Court Rules

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.