Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,268 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:52 AM

Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production (8296 Views)

Sokoto Discovers Coal In Commercial Quantity / Osinbajo Attends Wedding Ceremony Of His "Son" In Enugu State (Photos) / Edo Overtakes Enugu In Coal Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bigfrancis21: 8:27pm On Sep 19, 2015
CSTR2:
It is not going to happen.
The FG will not allow any local advantage in electricity generation.
Any generated power must go to the national grid as a matter of law and then distributed throughout the country.
The improved electricity in eastern region would be marginal if noticeable at all.

Thanks for this. so in effect, the electricity generation sector of Nigeria was actually privatized but the distribution sector still lies under the auspices of the federal government?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bigfrancis21: 8:29pm On Sep 19, 2015
gurujoe:
This is another reason i will support Biafra cause Nigeria don't know the value of Coal.
It might come as a surprise to many that coal is now more important to the South African economy than gold.

It was surprising to find out that coal accounts for 93% of South Africa's electricity generation. Meanwhile, we have it in huge deposits right within our own country and we cannot make maximum use of our own resources.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by asha80(m): 8:29pm On Sep 19, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Thanks for this. so in effect, the electricity generation sector of Nigeria was actually privatized but the distribution sector still lies under the auspices of the federal government?
distribution is under private companies..however the private discos distribute what they are given

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bigfrancis21: 8:31pm On Sep 19, 2015
pazienza:

I will comment tomorrow Bro. I am kind of psychologically down now, Arsenal loss today got me real bad.

Awww...no problem. I guess you can reserve a spot for your post tomorrow. wink
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by CSTR2: 8:31pm On Sep 19, 2015
bigfrancis21:

No there are private discos available.
But those discos can only distribute power from the national grid.
They are not permitted by law to distribute any locally generated power.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by EasternLionn: 8:31pm On Sep 19, 2015
asha80:
guy put the blame where the blame is

which is?

1 Like

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bigfrancis21: 8:33pm On Sep 19, 2015
CSTR2:

Ok. Now the question is, is the present national grid on ground able to support an increase in generated electricity to be added to it? Would an added MW capacity blow out current existing electricity transmission structure?

1 Like

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by asha80(m): 8:34pm On Sep 19, 2015
EasternLionn:

which is?
interstate led by offor

1 Like

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by onenaira3: 8:35pm On Sep 19, 2015
SE Igbo Una keep falling my hand. Maka why? What's the reason Una are providing benefits of coal? Who do u think it'll end up benefitting, more likely not Una. It's the same way you niggas decided to start trading your oil too after we specifically warned Una against as your brothers do. una just keep falling my hands

2 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bigfrancis21: 8:36pm On Sep 19, 2015
onenaira3:
SE Igbo Una keep falling my hand. Maka why? What's the reason Una are providing benefits of coal? Who do u think it'll end up benefitting, more likely not Una. It's the same way you niggas decided to start trading your oil too after we specifically warned Una against as your brothers do. una just keep falling my hands

So what do you suggest?

2 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by CSTR2: 8:38pm On Sep 19, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Ok. Now the question is, is the present national grid on ground able to support an increase in generated electricity to be added to it? Would an added MW capacity blow out current existing electrical equipment?
A very significant increase in MW would damage transmission grid.
I think the current grid can handle 2000-3000 MW and no more.
There need to be serious overhauling in transmission lines to significantly improve power to south african standards.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by onenaira3: 8:41pm On Sep 19, 2015
bigfrancis21:

So what do you suggest?

Keep it to yourself. Keep it hidden until that zoo breaks then start exploiting all you got unless Una want to end up like oil territories of SS including the ones in your SE.

4 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bigfrancis21: 8:47pm On Sep 19, 2015
CSTR2:
A very significant increase in MW would damage transmission grid.
I think the current grid can handle 2000-3000 MW and no more.
There need to be serious overhauling in transmission lines to significantly improve power to south african standards.

I have always identified that to be Nigeria's major electricity problem. The current installed capacity of Nigeria's electricity equipment is at approximately 7000MW, available capacity at about 6000MW and effective or actual electricity generation at about 3,800MW. And I always thought it would be expensive to carry out a massive overhaul of Nigeria's transmission grid nationwide. Do you have an idea of how much such overhaul could cost?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bigfrancis21: 8:49pm On Sep 19, 2015
CSTR2:

I think that the electricity distribution sector has equally been privatized in 2013. http://ekedp.com/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by CSTR2: 8:56pm On Sep 19, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I think that the electricity distribution sector has equally been privatized in 2013. http://ekedp.com/
Yes, but can only distribute from the general grid.
Enugu's coal will have to go to the national grid before being distributed by the enugu discos.
And at that point the coal generated power would have been rendered insignificant as it is now available to 36 states.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by CSTR2: 9:01pm On Sep 19, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I have always identified that to be Nigeria's major electricity problem. The current installed capacity of Nigeria's electricity equipment is at approximately 7000MW, available capacity at about 6000MW and effective or actual electricity generation at about 3,800MW. And I always thought it would be expensive to carry out a massive overhaul of Nigeria's transmission grid nationwide. Do you have an idea of how much such overhaul could cost?
I can only give a rough estimate.
It would probably take atleast $2b to KICKSTART significant transmission line overhaul of the entire country, the cost could rise to $5b with corruption.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by biafranking: 9:56pm On Sep 19, 2015
exposing the biafran resources will slow down the biafran movement frm gaining independence from the zoo.

Now yu guys have exposed and educates the southwest how good and useful enugu state's coal could generate constant power with over 5000mw from coal deposit.

Now these southwest guys wont let us go again cos they want to shared from the mega watts. tongue

Enugu state is blessed with coal that can help this country from poor epilectic power generation experience over the decade.

May God help us::

2 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by odumchi: 12:55am On Sep 20, 2015
@Bigfrancis21

Nnaa, ihe onwa I dere mediri m jidi si ka m juoteeri ma I sodi na nde na-akpu uzu Bekee? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Ofodirinwa: 2:33am On Sep 20, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Underground cabling is possible but its disadvantage lies in the difficulty to detect faults along power lines should they happen. The advantage of overhead lines over underground lines is the ease of electrical fault detection and solution in times of cable faults. Electrical equipment are available that assist in electrical fault detection along underground cables but overhead lines still bear a major advantage in this respect. Here in the US, overhead cables still run pretty much all over the US and are found mostly in residential areas and underground cables in office, industrial and high-rise building areas.

For Nigeria, a unique combination of both types of cabling to its maximum use would be effective.

The US cities with over head are usually in the south and sometimes in the east. In the Midwest, most cities use underground cables. I was in the US when my city started the transition and the aesthetic miracle it brought about was flawless. There has been no issue, and work on underground lines is still very regular and simple

this is seattle Washington, and if you notice, there's not over head cables.

Most of the city centers are like this, it's usually bad neighborhoods that will have overhead lights because they're a thing of the past.
If you think about the fact that Imo state is half the size of Houston Texas, it's very possible in a city like Owerri alone, even statewide if we're willing to think big.

They're cheaper, need less maintenance, are less susceptible to damage, and are protected from weather elements.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by OreMI22: 3:05am On Sep 20, 2015
bigfrancis21:
Coal & Electricity

Modern life is unimaginable without electricity. It lights houses, buildings, streets, provides domestic and industrial heat, and powers most equipment used in homes, offices and machinery in factories. Improving access to electricity worldwide is critical to alleviating poverty.
Coal plays a vital role in electricity generation worldwide. Coal-fired power plants currently fuel 41% of global electricity. In some countries, coal fuels a higher percentage of electricity.

Coal in Electricity Generation

South Africa 93% Poland 87% PR China 79%
Australia 78% Kazakhstan 75% India 68%
Israel 58% Czech Rep 51% Morocco 51%
Greece 54% USA 45% Germany 41%

Source: IEA 2012

How is Coal Converted to Electricity?
Steam coal, also known as thermal coal, is used in power stations to generate electricity.
Coal is first milled to a fine powder, which increases the surface area and allows it to burn more quickly. In these pulverised coal combustion (PCC) systems, the powdered coal is blown into the combustion chamber of a boiler where it is burnt at high temperature (see diagram below). The hot gases and heat energy produced converts water – in tubes lining the boiler – into steam.

The high pressure steam is passed into a turbine containing thousands of propeller-like blades. The steam pushes these blades causing the turbine shaft to rotate at high speed. A generator is mounted at one end of the turbine shaft and consists of carefully wound wire coils. Electricity is generated when these are rapidly rotated in a strong magnetic field. After passing through the turbine, the steam is condensed and returned to the boiler to be heated once again.
The electricity generated is transformed into the higher voltages (up to 400,000 volts) used for economic, efficient transmission via power line grids. When it nears the point of consumption, such as our homes, the electricity is transformed down to the safer 100-250 voltage systems used in the domestic market.

Enugu State's Coal Production

Before the discovery of crude oil in Nigeria, Enugu's coal production used to be one of Nigeria's greatest source of revenue between 1916 and 1970, and completely stopping during the closure of the Nigerian Coal Corporation (NCC) based in Enugu particularly due to privatization policies by ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo's. What used to be once functional coal mines are now left to shadows of their former selves, dilapidated and abandoned.

Coal exploration began proper in 1909, with production at the mines in Onyeama, Ogbete, Iva Valley and Okpara climbing from 25, 511 tons in 1916 to an estimated 583,422 tons before a decline set in during the Nigerian Civil War which started in 1967 and ended 1970. At the end of the war most parts of the South east had been ravaged and many expatriate mining experts, mostly from Britain and Poland had left Nigeria. The exit of experts coupled with the discovery of commercial quantity of crude oil which made the government to abandon coal resulted in the neglect and subsequent abandonment of the massive infrastructure at the mines managed by the Nigerian Coal Corporation (NCC). The NCC tried to manage operations unsuccessfully for another 30 years but the game was up. It finally folded up in 2002.

Revival of Enugu's Coal Production
There is an urgent need to revive Enugu's former coal production to an even greater capacity than before. Enugu state is said to have the highest coal deposits in Nigeria and hardly would one dig a borehole or foundation for a house without hitting coal. I am passionate about Enugu state because I am maternally from Enugu state, my mother being from Oji River LGA, and I did my undergraduate studies in Electrical Engineering at the University of Nigeria Nsukka campus in Enugu state. Most of my maternal cousins live in Enugu and I grew up visiting my maternal village in Enugu more often than my paternal village in Anambra state. I hold Enugu state very dear to me.

Enugu coal mines can be located at Amansiodo Coal Field, Ezinmo Coal Field, Inyi Coal Field etc. The Ezinmo Coal field, which stretches from Enugu to Benue state, is reported to be able to generate 1200MW of electricity. Additional electricity sources from other coal fields in Enugu state and neighbouring mines in Anambra, Anioma Delta could add an additional 5000MW of electricity, thus ensuring steady power supply in the south east and south south zones, inducing investors to the SE-SS zones to invest, given the steady electricity supply that drives business success.

Take the US for example, coal electricity generation accounts for nearly 40% of its total electricity production and this is the highest electricity production in the US, followed by natural gas electricity production at 27.4%. The United States is able to generate a total of
1,060,000MW of electricity for its population, with proposed additional energy additions coming from renewable energy sources.

Enugu state can achieve this. With all the coal mines in Enugu state, Anambra state, and Delta state put into maximum use, constant electricity supply will be achievable for the entire SE and SS zones, thus making the zones attractive for foreign investors, business owners, and general development of the zones. Millions of naira in business operating costs would be saved yearly from alternative electricity generation from generators by companies situated in these zones, businesses would be more efficient and effective, more entrepreneurs would be encouraged to open up businesses all over the zone creating more jobs for people of the zone, poverty levels would further be reduced, and standard of living would increase in the entire zone. An additional 5000MW of electricity could be generated from this zone alone, compared to the current 3800MW electricity generating capacity of Nigeria in general.

The Nigerian electricity power generation figures are dismal. As of December 2013, the total installed or nameplate capacity (maximum capacity) of the power plants was 6,953 MW. Available capacity was 4,598 MW. Actual average generation was a mere 3,800 MW.

Not to think of other production uses of coal such as in steel production, cement production, liquid fuels as alternative to crude oil, combustion products etc., leading to the establishment of steel, cement companies around the mines in the zone and generating additional revenue for the zone.

With the right minds, resources and brains put together, SE and SS zones could be transformed to a Dubai in just under 20 years. The natural resources are in great supply, the mental resources are ever in abundance and the viability is assured.

[size=15pt]I would have applauded you if we were referring to a decent country and not Nigeria.

But since we are referring to Nigeria, they would rather have zero economic growth and stay in pitch darkness or even buy power from Chad or Niger Republic, than develop coal energy in Enugu since it is located outside the core north. That is the tragedy of the place called Nigeria.
[/size]

10 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bigfrancis21: 3:57am On Sep 20, 2015
odumchi:
@Bigfrancis21

Nnaa, ihe onwa I dere mediri m jidi si ka m juoteeri ma I sodi na nde na-akpu uzu Bekee? cheesy

cheesy Nna, e jekwa m aukwuo di ayi ma solukwa na ndi na-eti eti n'ikpu uzu. smiley
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Jman06(m): 4:21am On Sep 20, 2015
Biafra is blessed with abundant human and natural resources.

I am proud to be a Biafran. My beloved land of the rising sun.

2 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by pacino26(m): 5:44am On Sep 20, 2015
asha80:
it was a fellow easterner that frustrated geometric power in aba

Actually it was Shell that has no gas to supply till this very morning.

Back to topic.

Op I've never made any studies into this coal business but from what you posted you're making me understand a mere $1.5mil can make a huge difference. Quite an eye opener. I believe the state will have to look into this.

An off grid license can be granted to companies that wishes to generate power and use it in a particular area. I think I read one publication where LarFarge Group was seeking such.

Op let's talk. ariessino26@gmail.com or bbm 7F221249

1 Like

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by asha80(m): 7:20am On Sep 20, 2015
pacino26:

Actually it was Shell that has no gas to supply till this very morning.

Back to topic.

Op I've never made any studies into this coal business but from what you posted you're making me understand a mere $1.5mil can make a huge difference. Quite an eye opener. I believe the state will have to look into this.

An off grid license can be granted to companies that wishes to generate power and use it in a particular area. I think I read one publication where LarFarge Group was seeking such.

Op let's talk. ariessino@gmail.com
explain the shell part?
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Kingspin(m): 7:28am On Sep 20, 2015
Nigeria unserious country.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by pazienza(m): 9:33am On Sep 20, 2015
I think the problem with Enugu coal deposits is that it's not in enough quantity as to generate real profits via direct raw exporting.

If I am right, Enugu has a proven reserve of 49 million metric tonnes of coal reserves and further unproven 111million reserves.

Well Australia with proven reserve of about 76 billion billion tonnes( Being the 4th in the world) exported 154million tonnes of metallurgical coal in the 2012-2013 financial year and earned 22billion Australia dollars and 182 metric tonnes of thermal coal exports earned her 16 billion USD in the same financial year.

So in total, she exported 336metric tonnes of coal in the 2012-2013 financial year and earned 38billion Australia dollars.

This 336million tonnes is already more than the combined 160 million tonnes of proven and unproven reserves of Enugu.

So, unless we discover other coal reserves in Enugu and Igboland in general, direct export of coal as is done with crude oil will never fetch us enough money in the modern world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by pazienza(m): 9:42am On Sep 20, 2015
But this does not mean we can't make something out of Enugu coal reserves.

We can, but this can only be via adding value to the coal and not via direct export. Our coal can be used to generate electricity for local consumption and powering of our industries, coal can be used to generate other industrial products like Hydrogen gas, Syngas, even liquefaction of coal can generate crude oil.

But all the above cannot be achieved under Nigeria, it can only be achieved under a real nation with well mapped out central and provincial government plans for industrialization and development.

In essence, Biafra! So, you see, Agbachakwa egwu ona n'ukwu.

The Nigerian govt( both federal and local) will never be interested in Enugu coal, because it cannot offer them the quick cash they are used to with crude oil. Only a real nation capable of futuristic planning can harness the potentials of Enugu coal reserves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by asha80(m): 9:43am On Sep 20, 2015
pazienza:
I think the problem with Enugu coal deposits is that it's not in enough quantity as to generate real profits via direct raw exporting.

If I am right, Enugu has a proven reserve of 49 million metric tonnes of coal reserves and further unproven 111million reserves.

Well Australia with proven reserve of about 76 billion billion tonnes( Being the 4th in the world) exported 154million tonnes of metallurgical coal in the 2012-2013 financial year and earned 22billion Australia dollars and 182 metric tonnes of thermal coal exports earned her 16 billion USD in the same financial year.

So in total, she exported 336metric tonnes of coal in the 2012-2013 financial year and earned 38billion Australia dollars.

This 336million tonnes is already more than the combined 160 million tonnes of proven and unproven reserves of Enugu.

So, unless we discover other coal reserves in Enugu and Igboland in general, direct export of coal as is done with crude oil will never fetch us enough money in the modern world.
the op is talking about using it for power plants in east not necessarily not for export
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by pazienza(m): 9:49am On Sep 20, 2015
Poverty alleviation= Electrification + Industrialization= Thermal + metallurgical coal

The above is Australian formula for poverty alleviation via Coal.

Only a nation can devise, pursue and execute that formula.

2 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by pazienza(m): 9:51am On Sep 20, 2015
asha80:
the op is talking about using it for power plants in east not necessarily not for export

The period of electricity generation in the East via Coal was the same period of Coal exportation in the East.

It's kind of hard to separate the two.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Nobody: 9:54am On Sep 20, 2015
obailala:
Sometimes I just wonder what bureaucratic bottlenecks are stopping the government of Enugu state from reviving these mines. Everybody just sits back lazily waiting to receive monthly allocation from Abuja. Must we wait until we are starved before state governments start being proactive?
I wait for the day this will happen
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Nobody: 9:57am On Sep 20, 2015
CSTR2:
It is not going to happen.
The FG will not allow any local advantage in electricity generation.
Any generated power must go to the national grid as a matter of law and then distributed throughout the country.
The improved electricity in eastern region would be marginal if noticeable at all.
Pure selfishness, other regions provide the electricity we use today. Why do Africans have this mentality

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osinbajo, Ishaku Meet Over Insecurity / I Thought Obi Was Twitter President Until I Reached INEC Office / Flooding: LASG Reassures Residents, Says No Cause For Panic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.