Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,165 members, 7,811,377 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production (8298 Views)

Sokoto Discovers Coal In Commercial Quantity / Osinbajo Attends Wedding Ceremony Of His "Son" In Enugu State (Photos) / Edo Overtakes Enugu In Coal Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by asha80(m): 10:00am On Sep 20, 2015
pazienza:

The period of electricity generation in the East via Coal was the same period of Coal exportation in the East.

It's kind of hard to separate the two.
I am not sure how hard it is to separate the two..that was how it was then does not mean that is how it is supposed to be now..it is like saying if price of crude crashes to an all time low that countries that have crude as their natural resource would no longer refine crude for domestic consumption..
I dont think there is a rule that coal exploration must be or have a percentage for export

Obiagelli:

Pure selfishness, other regions provide the electricity we use today. Why do Africans have this mentality
probably the present structure needs to be fazed out..even the present govt seems to favour what the person you quoted is talking about

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by pazienza(m): 10:03am On Sep 20, 2015
asha80:
I am not sure how hard it is to separate the two..that was how it was then does not mean that is how it is supposed to be..it is like saying is price of crude crashes to an all time low that countries that have crude as their natural resource would no longer refine crude for domestic consumption..
I dont think there is a rule that coal exploration must be or have a percentage for export

Well in Nigeria, they can't be separated.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Nobody: 10:10am On Sep 20, 2015
asha80:

probably the present structure needs to be fazed out..even the present govt seems to favour what the person you quoted is talking about
I agree with restructuring and it's part of the Apc manifesto expecially privatisation of the TCN
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Nobody: 10:49am On Sep 20, 2015
Which other regions produce the electricity we use? AlaOji power plant produces 1050 megawatts, are you talking about the dam in the north or niger republic?
Obiagelli:

Pure selfishness, other regions provide the electricity we use today. Why do Africans have this mentality

2 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by pacino26(m): 1:02pm On Sep 20, 2015
asha80:
explain the shell part?

A turbine needs gas to fire up irrespective of speculative paperworks in the power sector. GPAL is to be supplied gas principally from Shell Imo River station at Owaza, Abia State. The metering station from the supply end has been in completed but for some bureaucratic bottleneck from the gas supplier Shell.

Most importantly, that particular station got no gas, still relying on a manifold supply from other wells. But you won't hear this. grin

Hope this helps or you can prepare for a field trip.

1 Like

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by MrEverest(m): 4:03pm On Sep 20, 2015
asha80:
Just imagine the idiocy of these group of traders..i feel like shooting these fools on the scrotum..idiots

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/news/s-east-traders-threaten-to-shut-down-markets-over-proposed-sale-of-aba-power-firm/111490.html

The FG should hand over to afrigem let me see them do their worst fools!

I am sure interstate led by offor is the one behind this..of course the traders don't know any better

MrEverest come see nonsense
This is despicable and idiotic to say the least, it is obvious that those fools masquerading as market leaders are being instigated by powers behind the scene, that judas called okwudili Ezenwankwo would sell his mother for a pot of porridge. This saboteurs are the ones trying to kill the S.east economy for very selfish reasons but Chukwu Abiama will not let them succeed. I believe there are many educated and enlightened people among the traders so hopefully they would not allow this Judas called Okwudili Ezenwankwo and his fellow selfish and greedy excos who must have collected bribe to disturb public peace over something that would benefit the people of Aba. The government of Abia state must step in now and educate the people of Abia on what they stand to benefit if Geometric is allowed to operate in Aba. It is apparent that Emeka Offor now wants to use these so called market leaders to disrupt the handover of Aba zone to Geometric but he has failed. Aba must develop! South East must develop and Ndi Igbo must take their pride of place!!!
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by asha80(m): 7:55pm On Sep 20, 2015
MrEverest:
This is despicable and idiotic to say the least, it is obvious that those fools masquerading as market leaders are being instigated by powers behind the scene, that judas called okwudili Ezenwankwo would sell his mother for a pot of porridge. This saboteurs are the ones trying to kill the S.east economy for very selfish reasons but Chukwu Abiama will not let them succeed. I believe there are many educated and enlightened people among the traders so hopefully they would not allow this Judas called Okwudili Ezenwankwo and his fellow selfish and greedy excos who must have collected bribe to disturb public peace over something that would benefit the people of Aba. The government of Abia state must step in now and educate the people of Abia on what they stand to benefit if Geometric is allowed to operate in Aba. It is apparent that Emeka Offor now wants to use these so called market leaders to disrupt the handover of Aba zone to Geometric but he has failed. Aba must develop! South East must develop and Ndi Igbo must take their pride of place!!!
the okwudili guy is obviously being bribed to do this...idiot like him
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by IGBOSON1: 10:19pm On Sep 20, 2015
Obiagelli:

^^^Why would i wanna share anything of mine with an ungrateful and hateful people who not only want to do me harm, but have actually done so in the past......and feel no remorse whatsoever! To them i'm only good for the resources in my land abi?
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by pacino26(m): 8:05am On Sep 21, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Thanks. I suppose that you have ideas/experience with coal production.

What are other major advantages of coal production that you know of?

Taking the Okpara Mine for example, expected electricity generation from the mine is estimated to be at least 1.25MW of power, with an initial capital cost (cost of setting up the plant) of $1.5 million, expected annual operating costs (yearly amount of money spent while in business) of $207,000 and annual revenue (yearly amount of money generated in revenue mostly from tariffs) of $486,000. Realizable annual profits would be $279,000 or approximately N63 million yearly, at N225 exchange rate. With operating costs reduced, profits are expected to be higher.

With the privatization policies of Obasanjo, the NCC has lost its monopoly over coal production in Enugu state but ever since private electricity companies are yet to fill in the gaps created by the exit of the NCC. We need more and more private companies (single or joint) to take control of these mines once again and restore Enugu back to its past glory. Personally, I could raise $1.5 million in the next few years to establish a coal power plant in Enugu state. Other private investors and companies are highly encouraged to take control of other mines in the state.

Francis, I sent you a mail. I sure do want to discuss this scope with you. Kindly respond or give me a channel to communicate with you.

Cheers.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by bigfrancis21: 7:21pm On Sep 21, 2015
pacino26:

Francis, I sent you a mail. I sure do want to discuss this scope with you. Kindly respond or give me a channel to communicate with you.

Cheers.
I'll respond to you tonight.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by mickey45: 6:49pm On Sep 22, 2015
bigfrancis21:
Coal & Electricity

Modern life is unimaginable without electricity. It lights houses, buildings, streets, provides domestic and industrial heat, and powers most equipment used in homes, offices and machinery in factories. Improving access to electricity worldwide is critical to alleviating poverty.
Coal plays a vital role in electricity generation worldwide. Coal-fired power plants currently fuel 41% of global electricity. In some countries, coal fuels a higher percentage of electricity.

Coal in Electricity Generation

South Africa 93% Poland 87% PR China 79%
Australia 78% Kazakhstan 75% India 68%
Israel 58% Czech Rep 51% Morocco 51%
Greece 54% USA 45% Germany 41%

Source: IEA 2012

How is Coal Converted to Electricity?
Steam coal, also known as thermal coal, is used in power stations to generate electricity.
Coal is first milled to a fine powder, which increases the surface area and allows it to burn more quickly. In these pulverised coal combustion (PCC) systems, the powdered coal is blown into the combustion chamber of a boiler where it is burnt at high temperature (see diagram below). The hot gases and heat energy produced converts water – in tubes lining the boiler – into steam.

The high pressure steam is passed into a turbine containing thousands of propeller-like blades. The steam pushes these blades causing the turbine shaft to rotate at high speed. A generator is mounted at one end of the turbine shaft and consists of carefully wound wire coils. Electricity is generated when these are rapidly rotated in a strong magnetic field. After passing through the turbine, the steam is condensed and returned to the boiler to be heated once again.

The electricity generated is transformed into the higher voltages (up to 400,000 volts) used for economic, efficient transmission via power line grids. When it nears the point of consumption, such as our homes, the electricity is transformed down to the safer 100-250 voltage systems used in the domestic market.

Enugu State's Coal Production

Before the discovery of crude oil in Nigeria, Enugu's coal production used to be one of Nigeria's greatest source of revenue between 1916 and 1970, and completely stopped during the closure of the Nigerian Coal Corporation (NCC) based in Enugu particularly due to privatization policies by ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo. What used to be once functional coal mines are now left to shadows of their former selves, dilapidated and abandoned.

Coal exploration began proper in 1909, with production at the mines in Onyeama, Ogbete, Iva Valley and Okpara climbing from 25, 511 tons in 1916 to an estimated 583,422 tons before a decline set in during the Nigerian Civil War which started in 1967 and ended 1970. At the end of the war most parts of the South east had been ravaged and many expatriate mining experts, mostly from Britain and Poland had left Nigeria. The exit of experts coupled with the discovery of commercial quantity of crude oil which made the government to abandon coal resulted in the neglect and subsequent abandonment of the massive infrastructure at the mines managed by the Nigerian Coal Corporation (NCC). The NCC tried to manage operations unsuccessfully for another 30 years but the game was up. It finally folded up in 2002.

Revival of Enugu's Coal Production
There is an urgent need to revive Enugu's former coal production to an even greater capacity than before. Enugu state is said to have the highest coal deposits in Nigeria and hardly would one dig a borehole or foundation for a house without hitting coal. I am passionate about Enugu state because I am maternally from Enugu state, my mother being from Oji River LGA, and I did my undergraduate studies in Electrical Engineering at the University of Nigeria Nsukka campus in Enugu state. Most of my maternal cousins live in Enugu and I grew up visiting my maternal village in Enugu more often than my paternal village in Anambra state. I hold Enugu state very dear to me.

Enugu coal mines can be located at Amansiodo Coal Field, Ezinmo Coal Field, Inyi Coal Field etc. The Ezinmo Coal field, which stretches from Enugu to Benue state, is reported to be able to generate 1200MW of electricity. Additional electricity sources from other coal fields in Enugu state and neighbouring mines in Anambra, Anioma Delta could add an additional 5000MW of electricity, thus ensuring steady power supply in the south east and south south zones, inducing investors to the SE-SS zones to invest, given the steady electricity supply that drives business success.

Take the US for example, coal electricity generation accounts for nearly 40% of its total electricity production and this is the highest electricity production in the US, followed by natural gas electricity production at 27.4%. The United States is able to generate a total of
1,060,000MW of electricity for its population, with proposed additional energy additions coming from renewable energy sources.

Enugu state can achieve this. With all the coal mines in Enugu state, Anambra state, and Delta state put into maximum use, constant electricity supply will be achievable for the entire SE and SS zones, thus making the zones attractive for foreign investors, business owners, and general development of the zones. Millions of naira in business operating costs would be saved yearly from alternative electricity generation from generators by companies situated in these zones, businesses would be more efficient and effective, more entrepreneurs would be encouraged to open up businesses all over the zone creating more jobs for people of the zone, poverty levels would further be reduced, and standard of living would increase in the entire zone. An additional 5000MW of electricity could be generated from this zone alone, compared to the current 3800MW electricity generating capacity of Nigeria in general.

The Nigerian electricity power generation figures are dismal. As of December 2013, the total installed or nameplate capacity (maximum capacity) of the power plants was 6,953 MW. Available capacity was 4,598 MW. Actual average generation was a mere 3,800 MW.

Not to think of other production uses of coal such as in steel production, cement production, liquid fuels as alternative to crude oil, combustion products etc., leading to the establishment of steel, cement companies around the mines in the zone and generating additional revenue for the zone.

With the right minds, resources and brains put together, SE and SS zones could be transformed to a Dubai in just under 20 years. The natural resources are in great supply, the mental resources are ever in abundance and the viability is assured.

I think Nigeria's power problem is not more a Generation problem than it is distribution, some DISCOs are having a hard time getting paid by customers.
You might want to analyse the whole chain.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by asha80(m): 6:53pm On Sep 22, 2015
mickey45:

I think Nigeria's power problem is not more a Generation problem than it is distribution, some DISCOs are having a hard time getting paid by customers.
You might want to analyise the whole chain.
the discos themselves do they really want to deploy prepaid or they want to continue estimated billing?
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by mickey45: 7:50pm On Sep 22, 2015
asha80:
the discos themselves do they really want to deploy prepaid or they want to continue estimated billing?

Pricing is still highly regulated, and given how they got capital and how quickly they'll want to pay back, the current pricing system does not really favour their doing that with prepaid billing. Hence the Estimated billing thing. But if they're able to ensure everyone gets the Prepaid meter, maybe then estimated billing might stop.
Moreover, I've seen a house built and occupied by the State Governor's direct uncle who runs govt. Contracts plus other perks yet deviced a way to beat the prepaid meter thing. Won't share the method here. That's part of the problems DISCOs face andit backfires on both the TRAnSCOs and GENCOs
We'll get there.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by asha80(m): 8:01pm On Sep 22, 2015
mickey45:

Pricing is still highly regulated, and given how they got capital and how quickly they'll want to pay back, the current pricing system does not really favour their doing that with prepaid billing. Hence the Estimated billing thing. But if they're able to ensure everyone gets the Prepaid meter, maybe then estimated billing might stop.
Moreover, I've seen a house built and occupied by the State Governor's direct uncle who runs govt. Contracts plus other perks yet deviced a way to beat the prepaid meter thing. Won't share the method here. That's part of the problems DISCOs face andit backfires on both the TRAnSCOs and GENCOs
We'll get there.
no excuse for estimated billing nonsense.
I should pay what consumed not what disco think I consumed...i don't care how the got the loan and if people are discovering how to subvert prepaid meters it is left for the technical partners of the discos to find the way to stop it..i should not be made to pay 13000naira estimated billing when a neighbour that has almost the same gadgets as me uses only 4k prepaid card..Na for Nigeria we go dey give excuse for illegality and outright thievery
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by mickey45: 8:33pm On Sep 22, 2015
asha80:
no excuse for estimated billing nonsense.
I should pay what consumed not what disco think I consumed...i don't care how the got the loan and if people are discovering how to subvert prepaid meters it is left for the technical partners of the discos to find the way to stop it..i should not be made to pay 13000naira estimated billing when a neighbour that has almost the same gadgets as me uses only 4k prepaid card..Na for Nigeria we go dey give excuse for illegality and outright thievery

I didn't say it was right, or that I support!
You asked a question and I gave you reasons for the extant situation.
I just told you what obtains presently and why?(Can't even tell all that's going on) if you can type this, then you're reasonable and sometimes hedonism demands you just think for thinking sake.
I'm not in the power industry mind you! At least not yet.
You can go complain at their office. That's what most people do.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Karlovich: 8:48pm On Sep 22, 2015
OreMI22:

[size=15pt]I would have applauded you if we were referring to a decent country and not Nigeria.

But since we are referring to Nigeria, they would rather have zero economic growth and stay in pitch darkness or even buy power from Chad or Niger Republic, than develop coal energy in Enugu since it is located outside the core north. That is the tragedy of the place called Nigeria.
[/size]
I concur with u to a certain point, even if it was located in the core north there are chances that nothing will still be done, resources apart from coal are in other parts of nigeria but still they'll prefer not to THINK of how to make use of it. Nigeria is certainly not a country
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Curlieweed: 9:51pm On Sep 22, 2015
Ofodirinwa:

The US cities with over head are usually in the south and sometimes in the east. In the Midwest, most cities use underground cables. I was in the US when my city started the transition and the aesthetic miracle it brought about was flawless. There has been no issue, and work on underground lines is still very regular and simple

this is seattle Washington, and if you notice, there's not over head cables.

Most of the city centers are like this, it's usually bad neighborhoods that will have overhead lights because they're a thing of the past.
If you think about the fact that Imo state is half the size of Houston Texas, it's very possible in a city like Owerri alone, even statewide if we're willing to think big.

They're cheaper, need less maintenance, are less susceptible to damage, and are protected from weather elements.

Thanks. Isn't it interesting that we seem to be going backwards in Nigeria rather than forward. I was shocked to learn a few years ago (while observing an ongoing road works excavation) that Eastern Nigeria had an underground electricity distribution system in the pre-civil war days.

2 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Ofodirinwa: 10:20pm On Sep 22, 2015
Curlieweed:

Thanks. Isn't it interesting that we seem to be going backwards in Nigeria rather than forward. I was shocked to learn a few years ago (while observing an ongoing road works excavation) that Eastern Nigeria had an underground electricity distribution system in the pre-civil war days.

really?
how did we let our standard get his low? we led Africa in planned cities.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Nobody: 10:26pm On Sep 22, 2015
IGBOSON1:

^^^Why would i wanna share anything of mine with an ungrateful and hateful people who not only want to do me harm, but have actually done so in the past......and feel no remorse whatsoever! To them i'm only good for the resources in my land abi?

Have you taken a look in the mirror lately? Newsflash Bob, everyone doesn't like you because you don't like anyone. The problem is with you and that's the truth.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by IGBOSON1: 1:52am On Sep 23, 2015
django1:

Have you taken a look in the mirror lately? Newsflash Bob, everyone doesn't like you because you don't like anyone. The problem is with you and that's the truth.

^^^Fool, you wouldn't recognize the truth if it came up and gave you a well deserved slap on your moronic face!

Only a hateful smug arsehole such as yourself would right off all Ndigbo have gone through in this country in the name of 'one Nigeria' and go on to posit that we have no reason not to love the very people that dismembered and balkanized Alaigbo, and still show no remorse for the war crimes visited on us in which we lost close to 3 million of our brethren!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by likila: 2:33am On Sep 23, 2015
Ofodirinwa:

The US cities with over head are usually in the south and sometimes in the east. In the Midwest, most cities use underground cables. I was in the US when my city started the transition and the aesthetic miracle it brought about was flawless. There has been no issue, and work on underground lines is still very regular and simple

Most of the city centers are like this, it's usually bad neighborhoods that will have overhead lights because they're a thing of the past.
If you think about the fact that Imo state is half the size of Houston Texas, it's very possible in a city like Owerri alone, even statewide if we're willing to think big.

They're cheaper, need less maintenance, are less susceptible to damage, and are protected from weather elements.

you may use buried lines near the city center but in the suburbs, there is no alternative to overhead cables.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Nobody: 4:08am On Sep 23, 2015
pazienza:

I will comment tomorrow Bro. I am kind of psychologically down now, Arsenal loss today got me real bad.

Bro am with you there. I it got me too.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Nobody: 6:43am On Sep 23, 2015
IGBOSON1:

^^^Fool, you wouldn't recognize the truth if it came up and gave you a well deserved slap on your moronic face!

Only a hateful smug arsehole such as yourself would right off all Ndigbo have gone through in this country in the name of 'one Nigeria' and go on to posit that we have no reason not to love the very people that dismembered and balkanized Alaigbo, and still show no remorse for the war crimes visited on us in which we lost close to 3 million of our brethren!

Chai, always playing the victim. Ndigbo were killing other people during the war too, yes or no? To hear you tell it, it would seem Biafra was sharing candy when Nigeria was fighting.

How you conveniently forget the role your brethren played in the events leading up to the war.

I have never seen the likes of you before, you start something, then you turn around to cry when others respond in kind.

2 Likes

Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by 989900: 8:13am On Sep 23, 2015
obailala:
Sometimes I just wonder what bureaucratic bottlenecks are stopping the government of Enugu state from reviving these mines. Everybody just sits back lazily waiting to receive monthly allocation from Abuja. Must we wait until we are starved before state governments start being proactive?

Bureaucratic bottlenecks and lousy laws, are the major blockade in power genaration and distribution in Nigeria.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by pacino26(m): 1:38pm On Dec 21, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I'll respond to you tonight.

Bro, nothing yet. Hope you're very much in high spirit and health.

Let's work together on this.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Gayigaskia(m): 2:34pm On Dec 21, 2015
Ofodirinwa:

Dude you can't put electric poles downtown, apart from that overhead electric poles are almost everywhere in the US. And your statement about underground systems being cheap and easy to maintain is rather scary and ignorant of the industry.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Gayigaskia(m): 2:41pm On Dec 21, 2015
Curlieweed:

Underground cables are harder to maintain and very expensive. understand here that the cable that is installed underground is more expensive because of the insulation that it got against water. Still it often develops faults one way or another.
Re: Reviving Enugu State's Coal Production by Roseey0(f): 7:48pm On May 21, 2016
Can the mods pls push this to the front page pls.
Fashola should stop relying on gas and oil for power generation. We have so many alternative.

Wind
Solar
Hydro
Nuclear
Coal

Name them.

Am really ashamed of the southeast. This marriage to Nigeria has made us so lazy that we hardly can remb who we truly are. We have it all.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ganduje Flagsoff Disbursement Of N2b Free Interest Loan To 20,000 Kano People / 2018 Party Primaries Among The Worst In Nigeria – INEC Chairman / Edo Election: APC In Large Margin Lead In Edo North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.