Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,688 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:13 PM

Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum - Career (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum (265171 Views)

Job opportunities 4 Medical Laboratory Scientists in nigeria / Medical Laboratory Scientists(internship) / Where Do Science Laboratory Technology Graduates Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by larrywax: 12:35pm On Feb 04, 2018
Please go for it and you won't regret it if you are really passionate! My wife studied Micro in OOU and graduated in 2008, when back to LAUTECH 2010 to start from 200Level. She was inducted to the MLS profession last year April grin...Alhamdulilah grin grin grin grin grin grin
nelszx:

Of course if that's what you want age is not a barrier. In my class then we had students over age 30.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by larrywax: 12:38pm On Feb 04, 2018
Please, ignore their local champion fight grin and start thinking international in your career!
dannytoe:
have been reading the comments hear from the first page. am a student of Medical Laboratory Science. I really like the course and dont regret studying it. but have observed that Doctors and Medical Laboratory Scientists are always fighting each other over one thing or the other, though Pharmacist, Physiotherapist and Radiographers seems to be quiet or silent concerning their profession or is it because their Association is not as strong as MLS own(Mlscn) I really want to know??
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by larrywax: 12:43pm On Feb 04, 2018
To the gurus and ogas in the house...Is it possible to go and do intern in the US? If yes, please what is the process and requirements?

Answers from anyone who has passed or currently doing this will be highly appreciated.

This is very URGENT!
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by dannytoe(m): 4:34pm On Feb 04, 2018
larrywax:
To the gurus and ogas in the house...Is it possible to go and do intern in the US? If yes, please what is the process and requirements?

Answers from anyone who has passed or currently doing this will be highly appreciated.

This is very URGENT!
why would you want to do internship in the US? or do you want to practice in the US.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by nelszx: 5:34pm On Feb 04, 2018
No Sir, even the US will direct you back to Nigeria
The only you take in the US is certification exam to practice there ASCP or other certification exam.

larrywax:

This is very URGENT!
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Ysquare98: 6:10pm On Feb 04, 2018
[quote author=JerryJJZ post=64761829]

Pls bro,,,, I have a National DIploma in Science Laboratory Technology with a Upper credit.... I wanna study Medical Laboratory Science in UNN..... through Direct Entry,, pls advice pls[/quote

Hello bro...can we chat on whatsapp...08109854380...I think we want same thing
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by samwise99(m): 10:52pm On Feb 05, 2018
nelszx:

Of course that's the reason for the bill on the establishment of the National Postgraduate College of Medical Lab science almost actualising and the new bill for the National PG College of Physiotherapy. In the UK before u are appointed consultant you must have had/been a Fellow of the Royal college of pathology as a Medical Laboratory Scientist den dere are guidelines for such appointments. So being a Fellow of the National PG makes u qualified to fit in such appointments. It's not based on years of working except through honorary fellowship

https://www.medicalworldnigeria.com/2017/07/national-postgraduate-college-of-medical-laboratory-science-bill-passed-into-law
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by larrywax: 10:58pm On Feb 05, 2018
Thanks for your response.

How do I go about the ASCP mentioned and what are the other certifications?

Do I have to go through WES first or there's another way?

Thank you

quote author=nelszx post=64783249]No Sir, even the US will direct you back to Nigeria
The only you take in the US is certification exam to practice there ASCP or other certification exam.

[/quote]
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by larrywax: 11:04pm On Feb 05, 2018
Because I need to travel & looking at the possibility of practicing there! Its been over 1year now that I've been inducted & still unable to do intern cos I don't know someone that know someone that know someone & its the only thing holding me here!

dannytoe:
why would you want to do internship in the US? or do you want to practice in the US.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by nelszx: 6:06am On Feb 06, 2018

2 Likes

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by nelszx: 6:10am On Feb 06, 2018
larrywax:
Because I need to travel & looking at the possibility of practicing there! Its been over 1year now that I've been inducted & still unable to do intern cos I don't know someone that know someone that know someone & its the only thing holding me here!

There are centres who still take on merit
Especially Military reference hospital and FMC Owerri. But the limitation is she's married and may not be able to go far hence the delay. During my time, I wrote in 9 or more centres over 4 months and got 3 (I had the luxury of selecting which would help improve my skills).

1 Like

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by nelszx: 6:12am On Feb 06, 2018
larrywax:
Thanks for your response.

How do I go about the ASCP mentioned and what are the other certifications?

Do I have to go through WES first or there's another way?

Thank you

This my brother I have no idea about
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Jacktheripper: 6:33am On Feb 07, 2018
nelszx:

In some schools YES and in others NO. The same way some schools offers Embryology as part of anatomy and some don't.
It's not uniform it's dependent on the school and curriculum (Gross anatomy practical).

Anatomy dissection in UNN is 4 credits dunno if it's same as those in other schools but in my time it wasn't even in the curriculum.

Like here in Lautech, we don't perform dissection on Cadavers but offer embryology i.e ANA231
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by SOB18: 10:30pm On Feb 07, 2018
Hi, everyone... really love wat u guys are doing with this grp.. keep up the good work... I am a new member and i need some info abt gaining admission into the universities to study this course... am a graduate in Microbiology and will love to further into MLS thru D.E...pls I need info into how feasible it is to get admission thru D.E using B.sc...I need advice on which university to go for...cos I graduated from Funaab and will be love to switch... pls house help a brother...
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by SOB18: 12:00pm On Feb 08, 2018
pls of,does lautech accept 2 choice aspirant through D.E...
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Theelove(f): 3:54pm On Feb 08, 2018
Sanctus1:

What do you guys think...I got admission in the states to study med lab but was denied the visa(felt so bad ..,still feeling depressed till now...never knew it was that difficult to obtain a US student visa) .now I have deferred the admission till august. Should I really go back for my visa or go purchase a direct entry for med lab here in Nigeria? am 25 and working in a pharmaceutical firm but my love for med lab keeps increasing

I think you should apply for DE here in Nigeria if your grades are good, also if you have the finances, you can still try out your visa application. Which ever way works
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Ysquare98: 5:26pm On Feb 08, 2018
Jacktheripper:

Like here in Lautech, we don't perform dissection on Cadavers but offer embryology i.e ANA231

hello bro plz can I have ur whatsapp digit gaht some questions to ask u plz
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by SOB18: 8:46am On Feb 09, 2018
hello, pls I need an advice on the universities that admit B.sc holder into MLS thru D.E... Am a graduate of Microbiology..
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by emerald14: 12:58pm On Feb 09, 2018
Good day, please I have some questions concerning practicing in Nigeria. Someone with Msc Biomedical Science;
is itpossible to be licensed in Nigeria
for the internship, how long will it be and what if an internship was already done during the Mac
thanks
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by nelszx: 1:48pm On Feb 09, 2018
emerald14:
Good day, please I have some questions concerning practicing in Nigeria. Someone with Msc Biomedical Science;
is itpossible to be licensed in Nigeria
for the internship, how long will it be and what if an internship was already done during the Mac
thanks
No my dear it's not possible in Nigeria.
The basic requirement for licensure anywhere and everywhere is a bachelors degree in medical lab sci (BMLS) not even Msc or PhD can fetch you that. If it was a bachelors in biomedical science (BMS as they call it in the UK) then you are qualified for licensing and internship.
The only thing you can do with the Msc is probably lecture in MLS department (if MLSCN doesn't change rule like MDCN) and hope you may be granted a "special fellowship" for your efforts.
Or you contact the council for more clarification, hopefully you get the needed response but just know you might be told what I just put up there sha.
Info@mlscn.gov.ng
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by nelszx: 1:50pm On Feb 09, 2018
SOB18:
hello, pls I need an advice on the universities that admit B.sc holder into MLS thru D.E... Am a graduate of Microbiology..
You will get answers soon
Probably they haven't seen this
cc: @Davbravo, Ysquare98, Skyken99, eradspiff and others in the system

1 Like

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by arinzos(m): 2:22pm On Feb 09, 2018
SOB18:
I don't know about other schools.but in UNN,Yes they accept microbiology for DE.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by davbravo(m): 2:44pm On Feb 09, 2018
SOB18:
UNILAG does. But you need to have a very strong CGPA (a first class will guarantee you admission) as you'll be competing with those with JUPEB, Cambridge A'level, etc. And majority of those that'll be admitted will be from JUPEB, so there'll be limited spaces for BSc holders making it very competitive
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by emerald14: 11:48pm On Feb 09, 2018
Thanks for reply. My Bsc is in Applied Biology (no botany). My university offers the Msc Biomedical Science as a next step for those that did the Bsc. Does this make any difference and is there a way to ask the board directly. Thanks once again
nelszx:

No my dear it's not possible in Nigeria.
The basic requirement for licensure anywhere and everywhere is a bachelors degree in medical lab sci (BMLS) not even Msc or PhD can fetch you that. If it was a bachelors in biomedical science (BMS as they call it in the UK) then you are qualified for licensing and internship.
The only thing you can do with the Msc is probably lecture in MLS department (if MLSCN doesn't change rule like MDCN) and hope you may be granted a "special fellowship" for your efforts.
Or you contact the council for more clarification, hopefully you get the needed response but just know you might be told what I just put up there sha.
Info@mlscn.gov.ng
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by nelszx: 7:14am On Feb 10, 2018
emerald14:
Thanks for reply. My Bsc is in Applied Biology (no botany). My university offers the Msc Biomedical Science as a next step for those that did the Bsc. Does this make any difference and is there a way to ask the board directly. Thanks once again
The truth is your Bsc has disqualified you first and Msc doesn't and isn't a prerequisite for licensure.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by SOB18: 12:52am On Feb 14, 2018
UNILAG does. But you need to have a very strong CGPA (a first class will guarantee you admission) as you'll be competing with those with JUPEB, Cambridge A'level, etc. And majority of those that'll be admitted will be from JUPEB, so there'll be limited spaces for BSc holders making it very competitive..

Thanks, pls wat abt coming in as a fresher.. Wat do I have to go thru... I mean their putme, how high is the cut-off mark...
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by dannytoe(m): 9:17pm On Feb 15, 2018
SOB18:
Hi, everyone... really love wat u guys are doing with this grp.. keep up the good work... I am a new member and i need some info abt gaining admission into the universities to study this course... am a graduate in Microbiology and will love to further into MLS thru D.E...pls I need info into how feasible it is to get admission thru D.E using B.sc...I need advice on which university to go for...cos I graduated from Funaab and will be love to switch... pls house help a brother...
List of uni that accept direct entry
Unilag
Uniben
AAU
Imsu
Unical
Rivers State uni
OAU
UNN
Unizik
i think it's better You go through UTME, as most of my class mate that came through DE were from the University Jupeb programme.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by chigbuenonso(m): 10:24pm On Feb 17, 2018
I'm a fresh graduate medical laboratory science I need internship placement pls here is my number add me on WhatsApp 08101805337
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by nelszx: 11:16am On Feb 18, 2018
chigbuenonso:
I'm a fresh graduate medical laboratory science I need internship placement pls here is my number add me on WhatsApp 08101805337
Hahaha no one needs your number, you search and hustle for it yourself. Internship is not something you drop number for.
cc: Cowleg you have a candidate, please direct him or search for "prospective medical interns" on Facebook that's another place you can help yourself in getting latest placement.

1 Like

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nobody: 12:11pm On Feb 18, 2018
nelszx:

Hahaha no one needs your number, you search and hustle for it yourself. Internship is not something you drop number for.
cc: Cowleg you have a candidate, please direct him or search for "prospective medical interns" on Facebook that's another place you can help yourself in getting latest placement.

I have added him to the group. Thanks for helping him locate us.

1 Like

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Nobody: 12:22pm On Feb 18, 2018
Hello colleagues,

Who has really pursued a prior learning assessment in Canada. For a certification to practice in Canada.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by scantrik: 1:28pm On Mar 03, 2018
Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for the below listed Positions at Scantrik Diagnostics & Healthcare Limited in Benin City, Edo State. Nigeria

(1)
Job Title: Medical Laboratory Scientist

Contract Type: Full Time

Qualification

Candidate must possess BMLS or BSC + AMLSCN fully registered with the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria.

Job Description and Requirements
Must be between 23 to 30 years of age.

Experience:

Minimum of 2 years post qualification experience

Required Skills:
Experience in Clinical Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology and in Automated Medical Laboratory Machines
Must be fully registered with MLSCN
Should be pleasant, smart and very neat
Should be polite with good communication skill and gentle with patients
Must be computer literate

(2)
Job Title: Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT)

Qualification

Candidates must have successfully completed three (3) years training program from a recognized Institution and obtained registration with the Medical Laboratory Council of Nigeria

Experience:

Required Skills:

(3)
Job Title: Radiographer/Obstetrician

Qualification

(B.Sc) in Imaging Science/Radiography

Experience:

Required Skills:
A Bachelor’s Degree (B.Sc) in Imaging Science/Radiography.
Registration with the Radiographers Registration Board of Nigeria (RRBN).

NOTE:

Candidate must be resident in Benin City or willing to relocate to Benin City.

How to Apply

Interested and qualified candidates should send their detailed CV's, Using the "Job Title" as the email subject to: career@scantrikdiagnostics.com

Application Closes on 31st March, 2018.

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (51) (Reply)

Nigerian Prospective Medical Interns 2017 / Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) / Human Resource Professionals:

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.