Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly (20726 Views)

How To Verify If Your Car Number Plate Is Authentic Or Fake / Never Buy A Nigerian Used Car / Save Money And Never Buy A New Car Battery Again! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly by moscobabs(m): 1:06pm On Sep 23, 2015
k
Re: Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly by Nobody: 1:21pm On Sep 23, 2015
This actually happened to a friend of mine. Castro, I wanna go check out ride at Western Avenue was what he said to me when I called him. I had a meeting with a client and the meeting was apparently held at western avenue, so I told my friend I would be there before him but would be in a meeting (in an eatery). Hours later, two men entered the eatery and I was able to tell that one was a mechanic due to his outfit. Their conversation was as thus:
Mechanic :Baba, u know say the engine of that car don dey go small small. (meaning it was getting weak)
Mr B, I know but e go reach like one year before e go dey bad.
Mechanic: u know say anything wey I tell the guy na him he go believe. If u want make I tell them make dem buy the car now now my cut go be 70k.
Mr B: Haba, 70k too much na
(at this point I was stylishly enjoying their conversation and that brought to my notice that I was yet to call my friend to know if he's yet to arrive)

Mechanic : U know say no be only the engine be the problem, the gasket sef go need to change and some other small things like bearing and shock absorbers go need to b changed
Mr B: That one na u go enjoy am na, sheybe na u dem go give money to go buy all those things, anyway, the thing wey I fit do be say I go give u 40k from this deal.
At this point I decided to call my friend cus my meeting had long ended and the only thing that kept me waiting was my friend an a pretty chick who entered the eatery but was about to leave.
I called my friend and he told me he was already at western avenue. I went out of the eatery with the above men (mechanic and Mr B) still discussing their deals.
Guy what's up (we exchanged pleasantries), that's the ride I wan buy o (pointing at it)
Wow, the exterior looks pretty clean (I moved closer to take a look at the exterior).
So what's d deal? I'm waiting for my mechanic to come, he told me that he wanna go get recharge card but it's taking him time. Not up to 5mins the mechanic came and said Oga the ride good bla bla bla...I allowed him to finish his speech and gently pulled my friend away and explained what happened.
To cut the long story short, beware of ur mechanics too...

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly by tenry(m): 2:35pm On Sep 23, 2015
Please, I have saved 800k to buy toyota camry(2001) the one popularly referred to as pencil. I am planning to go to Cotonue very soon with a good mechanic but a friend told me yesterday that this amount cannot get the car. Pls those who have information on the current price of this car directly from Cotonue should advice m. Thank you
Re: Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly by Boss77(f): 4:07pm On Sep 23, 2015
OgidiOlu3:

Inspired stealing cheesy . I no dey there o lipsrsealed
you dey there o..na only you see inspired stealing abi? I dey go report you to Oga inspiredm. I no dey here o, no be me talk o
Re: Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly by OgidiOlu3(m): 4:12pm On Sep 23, 2015
Boss77:
you dey there o..na only you see inspired stealing abi? I dey go report you to Oga inspiredm. I no dey here o, no be me talk o
I no see anything ooo cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly by williams20(m): 4:44pm On Sep 23, 2015
MrMcJay:
OP, thou sayest true words.
Verily I say unto you, there remaineth one member of this forum that selleth cars he haveth not and refuseth to refund funds obtained by his cunningly devised fables.

In simple english, be careful of scams and ask the seller why he is selling so as not to buy cars obtained by fraud, robbery or inspired stealing.

Blessed art thou for thou speakest in KJV language

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly by williams20(m): 4:47pm On Sep 23, 2015
calculusx:
[size=14pt] from a dealer's perspective: Most Unkept Mechanic and Close pal always (want to) milk the buyer dry.

These 2 set of people demand for outrageous amount of money to be added to the cost by dealer before they can convince the buyer to buy.

Buyer believe so much in whatever they say and if a dealer didn't dance to their tune, they convince the buyer and take him elsewhere. This is a norm especially in Lagos.
[/size]

Yes this is true , oftentimes , close pals and mechanics demand outrageous sums and end up not having the best advice for the buyer ,
Re: Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly by Nobody: 5:15pm On Sep 23, 2015
ok...
Re: Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly by Mordyb: 5:33pm On Sep 23, 2015
Realacars:
Based on the promise, we'll try as much as possible to share helpful articles on realacars.com

Fortunately, i didn't suffer that much with my first car but i only know i get comfortable space to sit at my mechanic place, don't ask me the minimum time I've spent before.

Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly, there are lots of reasons we'd like to share with our dear readers on realacars.com but we'll try as much as possible to make this article short so you don't get bored reading.

Maintenance: i don't need to stress this, just read Things You Must Consider Before Buying That Car. https://www.nairaland.com/2614851/things-must-consider-before-buy.
Thank me later.

Scammers/Fake Sellers: this is one of the reason why we created this platform, we want to source Real Available Cars for our readers.
There are lots of scammers out there and they're ready to pounce on their prey without hesitation, they know some people are vulnerable.
Most times, people that fall victim are the silent ones, you see the reason why you should never buy that car secretly because if you discuss with one of two friends they'll share their own idea with you and that can safe you some money.

I could remember sourcing a car for a client in 2014 and the seller told me to pay 13k into a certain bank account number before inspection. I can't be this dumb.

Disgraceful Car Dealers: Shout out to the reputable ones out there, keep doing the good job and if you happen to fall in the other category, your cup will be full one day.

They're aware of your ignorance and they understand how impatient some buyers can be when the cash is available.
Hence, they'll never be honest in any way to you. Some of them can even claim the AC of a car is as chilled as a Deep Freezer... Well done!

That Unkept Mechanic: Be contended with him if he's the closest to your area, if you're that kind of person that doesn't like to involve friends and family in your deals.
Well, you still can't get that your car secretly because chances that you might regret your decision is very high, so if Kazeem, Chinedu or Abubakar is readily available.
Meet and discuss with him, he should be able to give you one or two tips.
After all, he's a mechanic and he most dev have experience than you for a start!

Lastly, Involve closest pal: Involve people you can confide in because you're not buying a toy car that will limit to your room, you're buying a car in reality.

Although, "What people think about you or your car is none of your business but what your 'Pocket' think about you is most definitely your business and your concern".

The people you excluded when you're about buying the car are the same set of people that will be available to assist you. Don't mind the mechanic, he's just doing his job and he'll get paid.

Are you still saving towards your first car, why not Subscribe to our updates and be the first to read our Articles, it'll best guide you when you're about to get one.

Source: http://www.realacars.com/2015/09/why-you-should-never-buy-your-car.html

Cc: Marpol, lalasticlala, isilove
all this applies to second hand cars
Re: Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly by nkemdi89(f): 5:47pm On Sep 23, 2015
had the same experience because I wan ted to take my friends and family by surprise after purchasing Honda civic from someone I drove it for a while before selling it for camry. had to make wide consultation.
Re: Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly by wtfCode: 9:45pm On Sep 23, 2015
amunkita:
Reason dad bought mii a private jet
lool
Re: Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly by charlesbailey(m): 8:54am On Sep 24, 2015
Bros,check olx or cheki or any of those sites, you can geta better car for 700k and save the rest. pencil lite no be car
you can get EOD/DC/big daddy for 700k on any of those sites and you take your mechanic along to inspect or you can visit any diagnostic centre near you

cotonue sef no dey see sales again because of dese sites.
tenry:
Please, I have saved 800k to buy toyota camry(2001) the one popularly referred to as pencil. I am planning to go to Cotonue very soon with a good mechanic but a friend told me yesterday that this amount cannot get the car. Pls those who have information on the current price of this car directly from Cotonue should advice m. Thank you
Re: Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly by tenry(m): 9:42am On Sep 24, 2015
charlesbailey:
Bros,check olx or cheki or any of those sites, you can geta better car for 700k and save the rest. pencil lite no be car
you can get EOD/DC/big daddy for 700k on any of those sites and you take your mechanic along to inspect or you can visit any diagnostic centre near you

cotonue sef no dey see sales again because of dese sites.
I can never buy any Honda product talkless of EOD. Those cars advertised on olx, are they Tokunbo or naija used?
Re: Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly by charlesbailey(m): 11:21am On Sep 24, 2015
i get why people don't like honda..but even after buying new gear twice at 120k each,i still can't dislike honda

the cars on olx are either tokunbo or naija used and it's spelt out there but it's predominantly naija used

i advised naija used because some are already running cars with almost no faults unlike tokunbo cars that have been parked for long while looking for buyers and sometimes a lot of things are missing in the tokunbo car

at the end of d day,they are both fairly used,so why not go for naija used and take it to diagnostics or take a mechanic with you

check there for cars around 650-1m and beat the price
please do NOT pay anyone before seeing any car o and fix meetings in public places. Good luck
tenry:

I can never buy any Honda product talkless of EOD. Those cars advertised on olx, are they Tokunbo or naija used?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Lexus Gs300 Check Engine, Vsc, Vsc Off Light Is On. How Do I Wipe It Off? / Timi's Garage, Ibadan. / 10 Driving Offences In Lagos And Their Penalties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.