Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,643 members, 7,823,829 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:11 PM

Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye (23069 Views)

5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University / Dangote To Establish A Private University In Abuja, Earmarks N200 Billion / Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by dhesmond(m): 2:21pm On Sep 22, 2015
I smell lies.....
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by desmondyoung11: 2:22pm On Sep 22, 2015
undecidedthat man must be joking....
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 22, 2015
actually he's right for y'all crticising him.

i went to govt uni tho

1 Like

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by dhesmond(m): 2:23pm On Sep 22, 2015
Ode ni man yi shaaa.... Been a prof no mean say u get sense ooo

1 Like

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by oc2fish: 2:23pm On Sep 22, 2015
After enjoying quality free education in Nigeria and scholarship from Cocoa money abroad. Yeye. The lectures teaching in private universities have not seen or know how to use modern tools.

Tell me what the students are paying for. University owner buy expired lab equipment and display. The lecturer dont know how to operate equipment and you talk about quality education in glorified secondary schools. WASTED GENERATION
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 22, 2015
what is this 1 saying sef.. undecided
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 22, 2015
CARLOSZ:

Tuition fees being paid in the country’s private universities are still relatively low, the Pro-Chancellor of Lead City University, Ibadan, Jide Owoeye, has said.

Professor Owoeye, who is also the chairman of the university’s governing council, said on Sunday that the fees being paid in private institutions were relatively low compared to their public counterparts which receive billions of naira in government subvention.

“The cost per head of a student in University of Ibadan or University of Lagos, for example, cannot be less than N700,000 when you are talking about Arts courses or Basic Social Sciences courses,” he said. “But when it comes to courses like Medicine, Engineering, government is spending nothing less than N1.5 million on each of the students, but the students do not know this because they are not paying.

Those students that attend public universities are not attending for free. Somebody is paying. It is you and I, the tax payers that are paying because that money could have been spent on something else like electricity; but it is a function of opportunity cost.”

According to him, very few private universities in Nigeria charge over one million naira in fees for certain courses.

“In our own case, the highest fee is about N500,000; we have fees as low as N100,000 in the Faculty of Arts for courses like Performing Arts as well as English and Literary Studies,” he said. “But people don’t know because they don’t come and find out in the belief that private universities must be expensive.

We really must thank JAMB Registrar, Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, who has made it possible for people to find out what is happening in private universities. We have state universities which charge higher fees than ours. But we think quality can be guaranteed if resources are well managed and if you have good enrolment.

Go to Ghana, you pay an average of 6,000 dollars as school fees. Ghana is a third world country; it is not as developed as Nigeria. The best public university in Ghana is Legon (University of Ghana, Legon), but it cannot match our own premier university, University of Ibadan. Yet people run there for reasons I cannot understand; it may be they don’t have the information they need

http://dailytimes.com.ng/professor-says-private-university-fees-are-low/

Cc Lalasticlala
It's like the man took dry weed before talking

1 Like

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Bluffly: 2:25pm On Sep 22, 2015
Imortal001:
I dont agree with him! private universities are too expensive..

Read well, his explanation is relative. The not expensive analysis was based on the source of funding to fund the budget. But truly from the view of the customer it could be expensive be it government subvention or not.

1 Like

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 22, 2015
booqee:
actually he's right for y'all crticising him.

i went to govt uni tho

Idiotic fool, why didn't you go to a private university...mtscheeeew..na una be the problem of this country, so it means when u become president of this great nation, you wil start telling students in private university to pay 10 million...u such a nincompoop..

2 Likes

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by faye01: 2:27pm On Sep 22, 2015
angryProfessor Jide.......

Mad man angry
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by BobUg28(m): 2:30pm On Sep 22, 2015
Ologogoro:
I am not surprised cos my Father once said , If a rich man is spending lavishly in the presence of a poor man, the poor man will think the rich man is not making sense with the spending. To him the millions they pay in private universities is low but to some people the amount is crazy cos the most expensive amount I paid while in school was 35,400 in Naira

This N500k, N600k and N1.5M they are talking about, is it per annum or the cumulative/gross total of what students pay all through their years of study while in School? Cos I don't seem to understand what he is saying.
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Imortal001: 2:33pm On Sep 22, 2015
Bluffly:

Read well, his explanation is relative. The not expensive analysis was based on the source of funding to fund the budget. But truly from the view of the customer it could be expensive be it government subvention or not.
Ok, lets assume that both private and government university student buy thesame text book with thesame amount, but the fee and accomodation can never be thesame.
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by OlujobaSamuel: 2:34pm On Sep 22, 2015
I have no issues with the private institutions fees, they are cheap compared to other countries and some even have facilities better than our public institutions, however I know that public institutions are highly subsidized.
On the issue of Ghanaian educational system, as it stands, it's better than ours, our so called big schools never made the best 700 in the world while Ghana has a representative.
Oga prof, talk another thing.

3 Likes

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by mansadi(m): 2:34pm On Sep 22, 2015
oluwaKStar:
go to private universities abroad and you will understand what expensive is...havard costs 45 million or there about

Talkin in contrast to Naira ryt? Nd u can nt compare d standards. So stop comparing d cost with harvard. If with d extremely low standard of such universities, they wil charge dat high I wonda wat they'll charge if they shuld eva get 2 d standard of harvard
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by sarutobie(m): 2:35pm On Sep 22, 2015
kai! majority of nigerians are irredeemably ignorant! what he is saying in a layman's words are that government schools are heavily subsidized. And even at that, some subsidized government schools (state universities in particular) still pay between 150k-200k per annum..jeezz

4 Likes

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by florence15(f): 2:37pm On Sep 22, 2015
Ok..
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Acidosis(m): 2:38pm On Sep 22, 2015
99% of Nigerians are irredeemable illiterates. Can't people read nitori olorun?!

2 Likes

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Niyeal(m): 2:39pm On Sep 22, 2015
How much did he paid when he was an undergradu8 ?. If schl fee of some fg univ is raise to N50k u wil c protest, ija student.
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by free2ryhme: 2:39pm On Sep 22, 2015
CARLOSZ:

Tuition fees being paid in the country’s private universities are still relatively low, the Pro-Chancellor of Lead City University, Ibadan, Jide Owoeye, has said.

Professor Owoeye, who is also the chairman of the university’s governing council, said on Sunday that the fees being paid in private institutions were relatively low compared to their public counterparts which receive billions of naira in government subvention.

“The cost per head of a student in University of Ibadan or University of Lagos, for example, cannot be less than N700,000 when you are talking about Arts courses or Basic Social Sciences courses,” he said. “But when it comes to courses like Medicine, Engineering, government is spending nothing less than N1.5 million on each of the students, but the students do not know this because they are not paying.

Those students that attend public universities are not attending for free. Somebody is paying. It is you and I, the tax payers that are paying because that money could have been spent on something else like electricity; but it is a function of opportunity cost.”

According to him, very few private universities in Nigeria charge over one million naira in fees for certain courses.

“In our own case, the highest fee is about N500,000; we have fees as low as N100,000 in the Faculty of Arts for courses like Performing Arts as well as English and Literary Studies,” he said. “But people don’t know because they don’t come and find out in the belief that private universities must be expensive.

We really must thank JAMB Registrar, Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, who has made it possible for people to find out what is happening in private universities. We have state universities which charge higher fees than ours. But we think quality can be guaranteed if resources are well managed and if you have good enrolment.

Go to Ghana, you pay an average of 6,000 dollars as school fees. Ghana is a third world country; it is not as developed as Nigeria. The best public university in Ghana is Legon (University of Ghana, Legon), but it cannot match our own premier university, University of Ibadan. Yet people run there for reasons I cannot understand; it may be they don’t have the information they need

http://dailytimes.com.ng/professor-says-private-university-fees-are-low/

Cc Lalasticlala

even a market woman knows you are lying
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Damsman10(m): 2:40pm On Sep 22, 2015
oluwaKStar:
go to private universities abroad and you will understand what expensive is...havard costs 45 million or there about

what u will gain n receive in Harvard divided by 1million u cannot find in our private universities.. dnt ask me aw I know
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by cozy7(m): 2:41pm On Sep 22, 2015
Imortal001:
I dont agree with him! most private university in nigeria are too expensive joh..
Just like u said "MOST". What abt d few? I believe that's what d prof is talking about.
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Acidosis(m): 2:42pm On Sep 22, 2015
Illiterates everywhere on the thread. Do you all think your N30k school fees in Osogbo University is what Aregbesola use in paying PhD holders and all the staff of the school? Maintaining the school, library, buses, cars, etc?

#exits thread

6 Likes

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by seedorfg(m): 2:43pm On Sep 22, 2015
this man should be called "the drunken master"
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Amplikane: 2:47pm On Sep 22, 2015
This man nid a common sense
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by samzepaparazi: 2:49pm On Sep 22, 2015
You all need to be enlightened.
I attended a private school and I must tell you that our school fees only accounted for only 25% of the running cost.

It couldn't even fully pay for the diesel we were consuming so what are you ppl saying.

And to those of you attacking the quality of education there, wait till u attend any nysc camp then ull know that the products of todays federal universities are nothing to write home about.

They are just living on past glory

4 Likes

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by ehiwarior: 2:52pm On Sep 22, 2015
helphelp:
Ode ni prof yi sha

The way dis guy talk dis thing eeh laugh wan kill me...na real ode jarey

1 Like

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by AleAirHub(m): 2:53pm On Sep 22, 2015
Just Imagine!!!...
Hot Weed Is Over Reacting In His Brain!!!
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by idinye(m): 2:57pm On Sep 22, 2015
By my own calculation it means that universities like UI will be collecting not less than N35billion as subventions from FG. Prof said 700k per student times 40,000 students which is the least carrying capacity of the school. The question is: can FG pay that much to a university?
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Nobody: 2:59pm On Sep 22, 2015
Infohelp:

It's like the man took dry weed before talking

No o

It's Ukwale weed
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Nobody: 3:02pm On Sep 22, 2015
Acidosis:
Illiterates everywhere on the thread. Do you all think your N30k school fees in Osogbo University is what Aregbesola use in paying PhD holders and all the staff of the school? Maintaining the school, library, buses, cars, etc?

#exits thread

So you are saying the government spends as much as 750,000 and 1,500,000 respectively on each student in government schools??

Abeg let's leave talk for market women
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by gdamola(m): 3:06pm On Sep 22, 2015
See the man cap... OLE BURUKU
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by GboyegaD(m): 3:15pm On Sep 22, 2015
This guy just wants his voice heard. 700k per head for each student is untrue.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NANS Reacts To Fg’s Reduction Of Jamb, Neco Fees, Speaks On ASUU Strike / NECO GCE 2011/2012 / International Student's Day: NANS Mobilises Students On Nationwide Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.