Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,137 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye (23074 Views)

5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University / Dangote To Establish A Private University In Abuja, Earmarks N200 Billion / Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by millionboi(m): 6:12pm On Sep 22, 2015
fabre4:
Sometimes being a professor does not equate to having common sense
Guy u wickd ooo
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by vislabraye(m): 7:15pm On Sep 22, 2015
oluwaKStar:
go to private universities abroad and you will understand what expensive is...havard costs 45 million or there about

But can you compare Havard to any of our schools.

Btw this professor forgot to tell us that tuition fee in Germany, Sweden and a few are free.
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by SonOFaGun(m): 7:47pm On Sep 22, 2015
datagigilo:
K

i can only buy ur data on one condition, only if i recieve the data before sending the airtime
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Nobody: 7:58pm On Sep 22, 2015
vislabraye:

But can you compare Havard to any of our schools.

Btw this professor forgot to tell us that tuition fee in Germany, Sweden and a few are free.

Yes...tutition fees in Germany and Sweden are free....

And in return for the free fees...the people pay heavy taxes.

Plus.....German economy is several times larger than your Nigerian economy....so the taxes from the companies in Germany are enough to fund all manner of projects....including free educaiton.

Same in Sweden.

If you want Nigeria to be like those countries....be prepared to pay more taxes.Nothing goes for Nothing.

Nigerians and awoof....
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Sheggy13(m): 7:59pm On Sep 22, 2015
basille:

What type of Beer parlour statistics is this, and to think its coming from a professor.

Now i believe this man is drunk. University of ghana ranks 1757 in the world and 22nd in Africa.
While University of ibadan ranks 15120 (-13363 difference) in the world and 62nd in africa.
My friend, which mushroom university ranking website rated Legon ahead of UI?..Is it QS, Times Higher Education, Complete University Guide?..which of them please?
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by chocorod(m): 8:25pm On Sep 22, 2015
crispberry:
Hmmmm. Shey dis one dey okay sha?
no know wit am oooo see mumu sef... cry
crispberry:
Hmmmm. Shey dis one dey okay sha?
no know wit am oooo see mumu sef...

1 Like

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Nobody: 10:06pm On Sep 22, 2015
Lolz, d man is a comedian
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by pus30: 10:29pm On Sep 22, 2015
c
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by pus30: 10:41pm On Sep 22, 2015
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by AzontoGhost(m): 10:54pm On Sep 22, 2015
CARLOSZ:

Tuition fees being paid in the country’s private universities are still relatively low, the Pro-Chancellor of Lead City University, Ibadan, Jide Owoeye, has said.

Professor Owoeye, who is also the chairman of the university’s governing council, said on Sunday that the fees being paid in private institutions were relatively low compared to their public counterparts which receive billions of naira in government subvention.

“The cost per head of a student in University of Ibadan or University of Lagos, for example, cannot be less than N700,000 when you are talking about Arts courses or Basic Social Sciences courses,” he said. “But when it comes to courses like Medicine, Engineering, government is spending nothing less than N1.5 million on each of the students, but the students do not know this because they are not paying.

Those students that attend public universities are not attending for free. Somebody is paying. It is you and I, the tax payers that are paying because that money could have been spent on something else like electricity; but it is a function of opportunity cost.”

According to him, very few private universities in Nigeria charge over one million naira in fees for certain courses.

“In our own case, the highest fee is about N500,000; we have fees as low as N100,000 in the Faculty of Arts for courses like Performing Arts as well as English and Literary Studies,” he said. “But people don’t know because they don’t come and find out in the belief that private universities must be expensive.

We really must thank JAMB Registrar, Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, who has made it possible for people to find out what is happening in private universities. We have state universities which charge higher fees than ours. But we think quality can be guaranteed if resources are well managed and if you have good enrolment.

Go to Ghana, you pay an average of 6,000 dollars as school fees. Ghana is a third world country; it is not as developed as Nigeria. The best public university in Ghana is Legon (University of Ghana, Legon), but it cannot match our own premier university, University of Ibadan. Yet people run there for reasons I cannot understand; it may be they don’t have the information they need

http://dailytimes.com.ng/professor-says-private-university-fees-are-low/

Cc Lalasticlala
Some gullible Nigerians will fall for this undecided

1 Like

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by JiggamanGh: 11:10pm On Sep 22, 2015
CARLOSZ:

Tuition fees being paid in the country’s private universities are still relatively low, the Pro-Chancellor of Lead City University, Ibadan, Jide Owoeye, has said.

Professor Owoeye, who is also the chairman of the university’s governing council, said on Sunday that the fees being paid in private institutions were relatively low compared to their public counterparts which receive billions of naira in government subvention.

“The cost per head of a student in University of Ibadan or University of Lagos, for example, cannot be less than N700,000 when you are talking about Arts courses or Basic Social Sciences courses,” he said. “But when it comes to courses like Medicine, Engineering, government is spending nothing less than N1.5 million on each of the students, but the students do not know this because they are not paying.

Those students that attend public universities are not attending for free. Somebody is paying. It is you and I, the tax payers that are paying because that money could have been spent on something else like electricity; but it is a function of opportunity cost.”

According to him, very few private universities in Nigeria charge over one million naira in fees for certain courses.

“In our own case, the highest fee is about N500,000; we have fees as low as N100,000 in the Faculty of Arts for courses like Performing Arts as well as English and Literary Studies,” he said. “But people don’t know because they don’t come and find out in the belief that private universities must be expensive.

We really must thank JAMB Registrar, Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, who has made it possible for people to find out what is happening in private universities. We have state universities which charge higher fees than ours. But we think quality can be guaranteed if resources are well managed and if you have good enrolment.

Go to Ghana, you pay an average of 6,000 dollars as school fees. Ghana is a third world country; it is not as developed as Nigeria. The best public university in Ghana is Legon (University of Ghana, Legon), but it cannot match our own premier university, University of Ibadan. Yet people run there for reasons I cannot understand; it may be they don’t have the information they need

http://dailytimes.com.ng/professor-says-private-university-fees-are-low/

Cc Lalasticlala

Damn these people are so obsessed with Ghana and everything Ghana. Is Ghana the only country in Africa. Yet some Nigerians will come here and say we don't care about Ghana but everyday Ghana this and Ghana that, last I check Ghanaians aren't trooping into Nigerian universities is the other way around. Smh

3 Likes

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Nobody: 11:13pm On Sep 22, 2015
hostine316:

Idiotic fool, why didn't you go to a private university...mtscheeeew..na una be the problem of this country, so it means when u become president of this great nation, you wil start telling students in private university to pay 10 million...u such a nincompoop..
bastard son of a b:tch av I insulted anyone? go back and read his post because I know you didn't. dyu know how much is been subsidized on education? nobody is saying private school should keep charging higher fees but then who is going to subsidize it for them? government? hell no! that is why they charge so high although not all of them charge reasonably.

Please just go back and read d OP..I hate having to explain things to blockheads who just can't comprehend anything. now please fccck off u smelly massive sack of dung. idiot!
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by mavelos1o(m): 11:27pm On Sep 22, 2015
true talk, most people don't see it that way. all they believe is these schools are trying to steal from people.
oluwaKStar:
go to private universities abroad and you will understand what expensive is...havard costs 45 million or there about
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by oluwaKStar(m): 11:28pm On Sep 22, 2015
paix:
You mean 45 million naira per annum?
sure
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by vislabraye(m): 11:57pm On Sep 22, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Yes...tutition fees in Germany and Sweden are free....

And in return for the free fees...the people pay heavy taxes.

Plus.....German economy is several times larger than your Nigerian economy....so the taxes from the companies in Germany are enough to fund all manner of projects....including free educaiton.

Same in Sweden.

If you want Nigeria to be like those countries....be prepared to pay more taxes.Nothing goes for Nothing.

Nigerians and awoof....

The tax we pay what do they use it for ?
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by vislabraye(m): 11:59pm On Sep 22, 2015
pus30:
[size=28pt]American University 5,927,147,948
Bingham University433,477,000

Universities in the country of western Nigeria
Bowen University 2,592,060,000

Covenant University 4,878,722,000
Redeemers University 1,610,226,000[/size]
Bingham university costs that much ? What currency ?
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by lumeneng22: 12:47am On Sep 23, 2015
Who is this owo eyes?
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by mikolo80: 1:00am On Sep 23, 2015
helphelp:
Ode ni prof yi sha
kilode ti o se pe lode
no be true him de talk
no be oyel moni dem take pay our school fees
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by alexrufabot(m): 6:08am On Sep 23, 2015
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by hitchowoyemi(m): 7:44am On Sep 23, 2015
Private universities aren't private-like in payment. That's what d Prof is saying. Someone stating beer parlour statistics. I don't smell any beer stench in his analysis. Have you met this man before sir? I have. There are Professors, and there are Erudite Professors. Dis man is perfectly in the second category. Any Educated man understands the content of his words. Well, many of us do not deem it appropriate and acceptable that private schools aren't so expensive due to the lacuna state of our educational sector and poor quality deliverance. Oh yeah, they are expensive for the poor and cheap for the people that prioritise education. #Africa

1 Like

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by ifeojobas(f): 8:01am On Sep 23, 2015
Happy birthday to you! Long life and prosperity...God himself will give you THAT birthday present. Enjoy your day smiley
Sicozone:
well, gud for him....... so nairalanders, today is
my birthday and I've come to have my likes just
as is the tradition......Happy birthday to me

1 Like

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by iamord(m): 8:18am On Sep 23, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Damn these people are so obsessed with Ghana and everything Ghana. Is Ghana the only country in Africa. Yet some Nigerians will come here and say we don't care about Ghana but everyday Ghana this and Ghana that, last I check Ghanaians aren't trooping into Nigerian universities is the other way around. Smh
you can just imagine. The people are just a pathetic bunch. Never have I heard a Ghanaian vc complain about Nigerian Universities. They just do their own thing. It has always been the Nigerian counterparts throwing tantrums. Is that the answer to their own educational failure? Instead to address the loop hole in their educational system. They look at the traffic of students coming to Ghana. And start to insult everything just to give a bad name. And not providing ideal solutions. With all the insults. Nigerian students spent over a billion dollars on education in Ghana. In just a year! . So let them keep hating and not put their house in order.. Of all schools.? Lead city. What is a lead city. . A school known to harbour yahoo boys and high class oloshos. That Is easy to runz and get a cool 2.1?? This man is a joker

1 Like

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by mkbessman(m): 8:29am On Sep 23, 2015
oluwaKStar:

65000USD
don't say what you're not sure of
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by sweetyugo1010(f): 9:33am On Sep 23, 2015
basille:

What type of Beer parlour statistics is this, and to think its coming from a professor.

Now i believe this man is drunk. University of ghana ranks 1757 in the world and 22nd in Africa.
While University of ibadan ranks 15120 (-13363 difference) in the world and 62nd in africa.

Whose ranking are you referring to?
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by free37: 10:35am On Sep 23, 2015
He may be right.
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by oluwaKStar(m): 10:49am On Sep 23, 2015
mkbessman:

65000USD
don't say what you're not sure of
you realize I didn't mean per annum right?you understand that I was talking in naira right? You understand converting that figure will give you 13 million or there about?multiply that by 4.
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by ochobaba(m): 11:38am On Sep 23, 2015
Ologogoro:
I am not surprised cos my Father once said , If a rich man is spending lavishly in the presence of a poor man, the poor man will think the rich man is not making sense with the spending. To him the millions they pay in private universities is low but to some people the amount is crazy cos the most expensive amount I paid while in school was 35,400 in Naira
....35k? U must be an oau student
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 23, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Its my birthday. No fighting grin
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by JiggamanGh: 1:11pm On Sep 23, 2015
dovelike:

Its my birthday. No fighting grin

Happy birthday baby!!!!!

How have you been?
Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by V0lv0(f): 2:05pm On Sep 23, 2015
JiggamanGh:

What's new. Ghana must always be involved in anything and everything be it from jollof rice (food), politics, economy, women, university etc etc. The day Ghana stops being mentioned will be the day that Jesus comes grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private University Fees Are Low - Professor Jide Owoeye by Captainswag225(m): 2:37pm On Sep 23, 2015
V0lv0:

What's new. Ghana must always be involved in anything and everything be it from jollof rice (food), politics, economy, women, university etc etc. The day Ghana stops being mention will be the day that Jesus comes grin grin
lol, i think its love and obssession combined for ghana........sometimes u just cant help it but laugh it off and move on.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NECO GCE 2011/2012 / Whatsapp Group For Jamb 2015/2016 and your university stats / International Student's Day: NANS Mobilises Students On Nationwide Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.