Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,319 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics (2106 Views)

Air Peace - Fraudulent Activities / Recent Kidnapping Tactics Used By Kidnappers / I Cant Schedule For Us Visa Appointment I Forgot My Password (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by wooleyboi(m): 8:35am On Apr 16, 2009
Recently, i noticed that when you make reservations online for a VN flight, and decide to pay in their outlet, the amount you pay become higher, the last one that happened to me was in February, when i made a reservation for my wife online to Dakar, the value was about 89,000, but when it was time for her to pay, she had to pay 139,000, and this was printed on the ticket receipt, indicating that the cashier was not fraudulent , something is wrong some where can someone enlighten me. This had also happened to someone else.
Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by ikeyman00(m): 11:10am On Apr 16, 2009
they are bro; was gona make a thread on that, but na laziness naw

very fradulent firm be that!! will expose them soon
Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by MrCrackles(m): 11:16am On Apr 16, 2009
Poster

I cant get my head round it!

You paid 40K more for a ticket price that was initially advertised less?

You shouldnt have, you should only pay the face value of goods/services bought!

You had other options anyway

Virgin Nigeria may be absolved of blame if they advertised the ticket price for a specific period and your itenary fell outside it!
Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by edwinagili: 2:57pm On Apr 16, 2009
It happened to me once, i booked for a return ticket to abuja in late 2007, but could not pay because the network messed up when it got to payment time, I then dashed to their office at Bishop Aboyale Cole street, V.I. to pay. At the office they told me i have to pay N36,000.00 instead of N32,000.00. I refused and was about to leave when the Guy at the counter allowed me to pay the N32,000.00.
So I learnt my lesson and that is to pay promptly online as i'm making my reservations.
Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by bigboyslim(m): 4:51pm On Apr 16, 2009
i think its common practice in some organizations that when you pay online you pay less than when you pay at the premises. But i dont think the margin should be that wide
Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by KollyJay(m): 4:51pm On Apr 16, 2009
@ edwinagili,

Wao, so u went off with 4k. Can u imagine. I was to fly to PH on 16th of march as well, I booked online then went to their VI outlet to pay, i was having 30k for the return as i read on their web, but when i wanted to pay, the guy on the counter said, its 37k, so i had to pay extra 7k!!!

So, if i had pretended as if i was leaving, he would have call me back ?

Menn, God will help those dude,
Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by showbobo(m): 5:36pm On Apr 16, 2009
Maybe its a matter of the itinerary difference or so. . . . .
Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by AmAlone: 6:17pm On Apr 16, 2009
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by eiete(f): 7:16pm On Apr 16, 2009
It's not only VN that does it. It is done here in the UK aswell.

BA, Virgin Atlantic have similar ticketing procedures. Prices advertised online

are different from prices offered at the ticketing desk. And some of the

prices online have a set period in which you have to depart or arrive to pay

the advertised price. Online ticketing is just a way of encouraging people by luring them with

cheap prices to book and pay for their ticket online, especially for short haul flight; therefore

eliminating the middleman.
Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by Omonla(f): 7:32pm On Apr 16, 2009
wooleyboi:

Recently, i noticed that when you make reservations online for a VN flight, and decide to pay in their outlet, the amount you pay become higher, the last one that happened to me was in February, when i made a reservation for my wife online to Dakar, the value was about 89,000, but when it was time for her to pay, she had to pay 139,000, and this was printed on the ticket receipt, indicating that the cashier was not fraudulent , something is wrong some where can someone enlighten me. This had also happened to someone else.

Taxes and other airline/aviation fees.
These are usually not included in the base price you see when viewing the ticket. It's usually added on when you are checking out (At least, that's the way it is in North America, I am not sure about the location where you are trying to book your ticket).
Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by carlosikem(m): 9:39pm On Apr 16, 2009
they are the main air travel carriers now
Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by Guk: 11:10pm On Apr 16, 2009
Let me share my experience, it could help with omissions you might have made.

When you book but do not pay online & if you supply your email address, you usually receive a confirmation by email which contains 2 vital pieces of Infor: (1) A Reference Number & (2) The price advertised to you online as you booked.

If you quote the Ref Number or present a printed copy of the booking/reservation, you can never pay above the agreed amount.

Pls note that your booking/reservation without payment is valid for only 48hrs from when you made the booking online. The booking expires on the dot of the 48hrs which reverts you back to whatever fee is available at time of payment.

Other factors can come up as well e.g in Sept 2008, I booked on Virgin Atlantic but between my booking and payment, govt had increased fuel tax which the Airline promptly passed on to the customer.

For Regional & International flights, pls remember that they also swing along with the Pendulum of unstable $:-N- exchange rate.

As i said, the above is my own personal experience
Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by mujila: 1:54am On Apr 17, 2009
As GUK rightly stated am sure the poster's booking got cancelled before he made payment. Airline have ticketing time limit.
Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by wooleyboi(m): 7:39am On Apr 17, 2009
[/quote]

Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics
« #11 on: Yesterday at 11:10:41 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me share my experience, it could help with omissions you might have made.

When you book but do not pay online & if you supply your email address, you usually receive a confirmation by email which contains 2 vital pieces of Infor: (1) A Reference Number & (2) The price advertised to you online as you booked.

If you quote the Ref Number or present a printed copy of the booking/reservation, you can never pay above the agreed amount.

Pls note that your booking/reservation without payment is valid for only 48hrs from when you made the booking online. The booking expires on the dot of the 48hrs which reverts you back to whatever fee is available at time of payment.

Other factors can come up as well e.g in Sept 2008, I booked on Virgin Atlantic but between my booking and payment, govt had increased fuel tax which the Airline promptly passed on to the customer.

For Regional & International flights, pls remember that they also swing along with the Pendulum of unstable $:-N- exchange rate.

As i said, the above is my own personal experience

thank,ye all, i paid within thirty six hours after the reservation, my reservation was on the fourth of february and patment was on the 5th of february. i received the itinirary, in my mail, including taxes and all charges, this was taken to the ticket outlet, yet this guys insisted my wife should pay 139k. i was fully aware of all you wrote. thanks
[quote]
It happened to me once, i booked for a return ticket to abuja in late 2007, but could not pay because the network messed up when it got to payment time, I then dashed to their office at Bishop Aboyale Cole street, V.I. to pay. At the office they told me i have to pay N36,000.00 instead of N32,000.00. I refused and was about to leave when the Guy at the counter allowed me to pay the N32,000.00.
So I learnt my lesson and that is to pay promptly online as i'm making my reservations.

i think I have an idea, dont you guys think there is fraud somewhere?
Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by KollyJay(m): 10:25am On Apr 17, 2009
@ GUK

Thanks for this explanation. I was giving a reference number as well which i quoted when i wanted to make the payment. I think the problem was that i got no email from them after the online booking , so i got nothing to print and take along for payment.

But the fact that they called him back to pay 32k instead of the 36k earlier demanded when he was about to leave makes the whole thing looks crappy.

Once again , may God help us all.

Jeje lomo eko nlo o.
Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by atedo(m): 12:45pm On Apr 17, 2009
Hi All,

There is no fraud in all of this, we need to understand how airlines that operate mixed fares do.

The airline industry operates on the principle of advance payment.

This enables the airline to have money in hand to provide the service; most of the services provided have no credit facility.

In order to encourage the public to book and pay in advance, the airline release difference fares; the earlier you buy the cheaper ticket you get.

So if you want a cheaper ticket you have to book and pay early.

If you book a ticket, you are giving a time limit to pay for this and if you default, booking is cancelled; you may not get that amount when you rebook as it may have been exhausted. The agent at the desk only sales what is available; ticketing agent does not fix the fares, it is controlled from remote.

There are a number of seats for each fare class.

Also note that, if the flight is busy and people are asking for these seats the airline have the right to cancel the unpaid bookings even before the time limit for payment.

They cant be waiting for you with no guarantee that you will pay. If you book a seat in an airline, try to pay ASAP if you realy desire to travel and on the rate you got.

I hope this clears the doubt and allegations; this is the principle all major carriers of the world operates.
Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by theforce(m): 11:17pm On Apr 19, 2009
@ Guk you seem widely travelled so you are making sense.

@ Kolly, what happens with such a scene that one gets 36k quoted and a few minutes later, you are asked to pay 32k is simple. while the agent may have checked the price on the system and seen 36k, someone may have lost his or her booking (32k) during your arguement or on your way out and he noticed it and decided to call you back to come have it.

The truth is that in this modern day and age, no one can make you pay more than what is written on your ticket
Re: Is Virgin Nigeria Fraudulent? I Cant Understand Their New Tactics by cretin: 7:18pm On Apr 21, 2009
its in naija that i found out that u cud haggle air fares!!, it happened to me in aero office, i managed 2 slah abt 8k from the official fARE 4rm ph 2 lagos

(1) (Reply)

Confirmation Letter From Ait Uk, That My Appeal Was Successful / DV Lottery 2016 / Visa To Greece To Attend A Conference

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.