Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,362 members, 7,815,776 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage (2127 Views)

One Night From Twelve Years Ago Is Now Tearing My Marriage Apart / My Parents Will Not Approve My Marriage Becauseā€¦. / Should I Cancel My Marriage Plans? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by pinkybeny(f): 9:56am On Sep 24, 2015
Please I need advice on this issue it's really getting me off balance......... My mum disapproved of my marriage because the guy in question is from Edo not an Igbo guy it hurts my to have to take a decision and my mum isn't happy with it but I love dis guy and he truly loves me too,he's being trying to please her but it's not working out I won't forget to say that have had my first daughter for this same guy I know someway somehow i shouldn't v been careless enough to allow a baby before marriage but I wouldn't have aborted it either she would be two in some months and she's Neva been to her paternal grand parent they v also tried to plead with her on this issues she still wouldn't approve...my dads in support bt the fact that I grew up wit my mum made it more difficult to take decisions wit my dad,my brothers are like whatever I want as long as am sure I would be fine with him.what hurts the most is that I can't even take my baby out at my wish,I think am trying really hard not to displease my mum but as it is now am at a cross road and need to face reality I have beg people to talk to her but nothing seems positive,v pleaded it's not working.I am a lady close to mid 20 and will be done schooling dis December.please I need sincere advice...............I forgot this guy is working and capable to care for us,His even willing to take responsibilities even when we are still under her roof but it's a NO NO from her
Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by buygala(m): 9:57am On Sep 24, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised if your mum has some hidden 'history' with your fiance sad .... Shitt like that does happen attimes sad

Anyway

Please go ahead and marry him if you think he is best for you... After all your dad is in your support and your mum's excuse for disapproval is very flimsy... Shey Edo man no be human being?

YOUR MUM'S APPROVAL IS DESIRABLE BUT NOT INDISPENSABLE. ... IT IS TO BE GOTTEN MORE OUT OF RESPECT THAN NECESSITY sad

1 Like

Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Dotwillis1(m): 9:59am On Sep 24, 2015
... Still try and persuade her. She is ya mum and I'm sure she wants the best for you. And if she is still not in support then forget it and concentrate on building a perfect marriage with your guy. Parents should also respect their children's choice in some cases.

At least you have your father's and siblings support

Follow the way that your heart leads you

1 Like

Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Nobody: 10:01am On Sep 24, 2015
Your mum is actually keeping d daughter u had for d Edo guy and stillll don't want u to marry him? shocked

U still need to talk to ur mum and try figure out wat the problem is.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Cutehector(m): 10:01am On Sep 24, 2015
Mtchew.... BlEep ur mum's attitude for d guy mehn!
Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by marshalcarter: 10:01am On Sep 24, 2015
To tell you the truth...you and your husband should come together and solve your problems.....cos seekin advice from social media..you won't get a suitable answer

#dropsMic

#happy sallah to all muslims cheesy
Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by braine(m): 10:05am On Sep 24, 2015
Do what she asks you to. Shes your mother; if you disobey her, you'll most likely regret it.
Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by MrsChima(f): 10:07am On Sep 24, 2015
If you live your life pleasing anyone but yourself you will be miserable for the rest of your life.

Do what you feel is right to you and accept that decision with no regrets.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by NOBODYY: 10:08am On Sep 24, 2015
Are u the one getting married or Your mum??
C'mon girl...
If u live ur life based on instruction from ppl..U'll av to deal with the consequences not them

1 Like

Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Burger01(m): 10:16am On Sep 24, 2015
Op, you're not living your life for your mum neither are you marrying because of her. Many what would've been good marriages and happy homes were shattered because of parental interferences, especially the mothers.

Just take your boo and head to the registry for court wedding. Inform her of the court wedding...nothing she can do about it. Live your life and have a happy marital home.

More so, its your dad that will give your hands out in marriage...not your mum. If your father is in support of the marriage then the better. Just get married in your father's house and live a happy lifesmiley

1 Like

Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Nobody: 10:16am On Sep 24, 2015
All I can say is, put your big girl panties on & grow a spine. With all due respect, she sounds like a suffocating, dominating helicopter parent that's hovering all over your business like you're a little girl still. Come on. You can't even take out your own baby! That's too much. Get off the bosom & cut the apron strings before she runs your life for you on a permanent basis. Otherwise you're going to end up an old maid, stuck at home with her for the rest of your life because very few men will tolerate a woman that's weak (under her mother's thumb). Sorry to be so blunt but her interferring in your private life to this extent is inappropriate, especially at your age. It's like she's the boss of you undecided Grow up!

3 Likes

Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Burger01(m): 10:25am On Sep 24, 2015
lagmostkuit:
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][size=12pt][i]Your mum is actually keeping d daughter u had for d Edo guy and stillll don't want u to marry him? shocked

You can imagine. A broken home should be avoided as much as possible..yet her mum is encouraging a broken home. She should disregard her mum and marry her baby daddy and live a happy marital life with peace of mind. Smh for some ignorant motherssad

1 Like

Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by tosyne2much(m): 10:28am On Sep 24, 2015
The notion that your parents want the best for you does not mean they cant mislead you

At a point in your life, you have to disobey either of your parents just to make a lifetime choice

In as much as you want to live your life pleasing your mom, then you will end up living your life in misery

At this point a little violence should be employed since all effort to make her understand your decision proved irrelevant

1 Like

Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Nobody: 10:28am On Sep 24, 2015
Burger01:
You can imagine. A broken home should be avoided as much as possible..yet her mum is encouraging a broken home. She should disregard her mum and marry her baby daddy and live a happy marital life with peace of mind. Smh for some ignorant motherssad
I'm sure d sole reason her mum doesn't want her to marry d guy is because he's not igbo and which to me is no reason!

God will help them sha.. smiley

1 Like

Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Godfullsam(m): 10:30am On Sep 24, 2015
As soon as u are done with it studies the in another pregnancy for the guy. By the time ur kids are up to three for the same guy, you will not need to persuade ur mum to approve your marriage to the man u love .

I wonder why some parents will not allow their children to make their choice when it comes to marriage.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Burger01(m): 10:33am On Sep 24, 2015
braine:
Do what she asks you to. Shes your mother; if you disobey her, you'll most likely regret it.
You don't know life. So, you can let go of your love and your very own happiness pleasing your mother? Smh. Anyways, I hope your mum will one day disapprove of what really makes you happy, until then would understand what we are talking aboutsmiley

1 Like

Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by pinkybeny(f): 10:37am On Sep 24, 2015
braine:
and get into another marriage I won't be happy with the rest of my life? Which regret is more
Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Burger01(m): 10:38am On Sep 24, 2015
lagmostkuit:

I'm sure d sole reason her mum doesn't want her to marry d guy is because he's not igbo and which to me is no reason!

God will help them sha.. smiley
To heck with tribes. Who cares? Are igbos not human?

Btw, if that's the case then her mother should return the grand daughter to the paternal family for proper care. She doesn't want her to marry the Igbo guy and yet she hold on to the guy's daughter. Smh. My advice for the op would be to marry the guy in the registry, take her child away from her mother and start living with her husband and child under one roof. Broken home is not good and should be avoided as much as possible. It's wellsmiley

1 Like

Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by braine(m): 10:40am On Sep 24, 2015
Burger01:
You don't know life. So, you can let go of your love and your very own happiness pleasing your mother? Smh. Anyways, I hope your mum will one day disapprove of what really makes you happy, until then would understand what we are talking aboutsmiley

Has it ever occurred to you that what may make you happy may not be good for you? Its like a drug addict; he feels the drugs makes him happy, but we all know its bad for him.

Besides, talking about not listening to mothers, I've been there. Wanted something, she said no but I did it anyway. Now I regret doing it and wish I had listened.
Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Burger01(m): 10:41am On Sep 24, 2015
pinkybeny:
and get into another marriage I won't be happy with the rest of my life? Which regret is more
I wonder. smiley
Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Nobody: 10:41am On Sep 24, 2015
Burger01:

Btw, if that's the case then her mother should return the grand daughter to the paternal family for proper care. She doesn't want her to marry the Igbo guy and yet she hold on to the guy's daughter. Smh. My advice for the op would be to marry the guy in the registry, take her child away from her mother and start living with her husband and child under one roof. Broken home is not good and should be avoided as much as possible. It's wellsmiley

Lol, the guy is from Edo. Even I got that. I'm guessing the family are Igbos.

But anyway I concur.
Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Burger01(m): 10:42am On Sep 24, 2015
braine:

Has it ever occurred to you that what may make you happy may not be good for you? Its like a drug addict; he feels the drugs makes him happy, but we all know its bad for him.

Besides, talking about not listening to mothers, I've been there. Wanted something, she said no but I did it anyway. Now I regret doing it and wish I had listened.
... Not in a situation like this..a child is involved for goodness sake!sad

1 Like

Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by braine(m): 10:43am On Sep 24, 2015
pinkybeny:

That's your choice to make. You may find someone much better though. Its not the end of the world.
Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Nobody: 10:43am On Sep 24, 2015
Burger01:

The guy in question is Edo while d lady is Igbo.

smiley
Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Burger01(m): 10:45am On Sep 24, 2015
PunkyVeer:

Lol, the guy is from Edo. Even I got that. I'm guessing the family are Igbos.

But anyway I concur.
Sorry. I meant Edo jare. Are Edo guys not human
Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Tallesty1(m): 10:46am On Sep 24, 2015
lagmostkuit:
Your mum is actually keeping d daughter u had for d Edo guy and stillll don't want u to marry him? shocked

U still need to talk to ur mum and try figure out wat the problem is.
Story won't be the same if the Edo guy were her son.

Some mothers sha....., I know its important to respect them but there are times that you just need to stand up for what you believe in as long as they are right.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by braine(m): 10:47am On Sep 24, 2015
Burger01:
... Not in a situation like this..a child is involved for goodness sake!sad

You see, in a normal circumstance such as this, you'd expect that the parents would expressly give away their daughters to their baby daddies. This is the main reason why I feel the mum must have seen something and I don't think it should be ignored.
Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Burger01(m): 10:47am On Sep 24, 2015
lagmostkuit:

The guy in question is Edo while d lady is Igbo.

smiley
Yeah, my bad. I meant Edo. People should do away with tribe and live happy lives. If its an American or European the mother would be jumping up and down. Rubbishsad

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Nobody: 10:51am On Sep 24, 2015
Burger01:
Sorry. I meant Edo jare. Are Edo guys not human

Hmm, let's ask her @ss backwards mama. I still can't believe there are people who are into this tribal nonsense but what do I know. Shruglife
Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Nobody: 10:52am On Sep 24, 2015
Tallesty1:
Story won't be the same if the Edo guy were her son.

Some mothers sha....., I know its important to respect them but there are times that you just need to stand up for what you believe in as long as they are right.
Mothers could be annoying sometimes buh all dey do is what dey feel is for our own good..

As u said, the lady need to stand up for what she believes in as long as it is right!
Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 24, 2015
Burger01:
Yeah, my bad. I meant Edo. People should do away with tribe and live happy lives. If its an American or European the mother would be jumping up and down. Rubbishsad
Lol,
Bros calm down! grin
Re: My Mum Won't Approve My Marriage by Burger01(m): 11:08am On Sep 24, 2015
lagmostkuit:

Lol,
Bros calm down! grin
The thing dey pain me. How some parents mislead their children and start living in regrets afterwards.

I will share a personal story with you. A very sad one. My first cousin got pregnant for a guy when I was so young and just about ending my primary school. Then she was in class 5 of those good days. She got pregnant, her mother disapprove and rained curses on the guy for getting my cousin pregnant and rejected outrightly of their desire to marry. Long story short, my cousin aborted the pregnancy after too much pressure from her mother to do so. Fast forward to this very moment, my cousin is yet to conceive and now about 49 years old. She is still single and living alone. She regrets terminating her pregnancy and regretted listening to her mother. Now, who bears the brunts the most That's a destiny derailed. May God never derail our destinies. I feel so sad for my cousin..so sad. A very nice womansad

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Advice!!! About To Quit A 5 Years Courtship. / Some Stupeed Behaviour Girls Have.. Guys Come And See!! / Cheating Or Lying, Which Is Deadlier In A Relationship?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.