Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? (18741 Views)

What Are The Things You Will Like Your Church To Change? / Is It Right For A Church To Be Located In An Hotel Premises? / Stephanie Otobo's Mother & Sister At Apostle Suleman's Church To Beg (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Winneygirl(f): 1:08pm On Sep 27, 2015
Some churches have instances where all the men in the church are asked to come to the church on a Saturday, where a professional trainer is invited to walk them through some exercises to keep fit.

Churches have long been involved in healthcare programs which focus more on health than on evangelism. It doesn't mean the church has lost focus.
You could organize fitness programs where not just the youth, but men and women can participate.

Let the focus be on keeping fit, not just on sports.

Such programs also bring church members together.
There are many youths today who are not part of any group in church, they know nobody and nobody knows them.
If they don't come to church for 10 weeks, nobody would notice.

The church can also be a place to make friends.
No one is an island.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Chigold101(m): 1:21pm On Sep 27, 2015
blueto:
I have the privilege of being a Youth executive in my Church. And since I enamour football, I have been thinking of initiating and establishing a football group, were we can train and organise friendly matches with other Churches as well.

But I feel skeptical about this innovation because it is unbiblical. Thus, it may be unacceptable to God.

So I am don't know if it is really right to proceed with the idea.

Please I need your advise. Your contributions will be well appreciated.
if you look at England... There are clubs that were originally owned by churches. One of English cups were originally donated by Assemblies of God church.
Mountain of fire been have s club in Nigerian league today
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by ayodot123(m): 1:21pm On Sep 27, 2015
Organizing a football match isn't a bad idea. I think it will help in promoting the unity of the church if it is properly managed. All the best
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by CertifiedSamuel: 1:35pm On Sep 27, 2015
blueto:
hmm. but there are 'peaceful' things that God abhors also. E.g sex.

sex is peaceful and it is in 'any language', but yet God still detest it

Please where in d bible did God say he detest Sex?? When 'couples' indulge in Sex, is it fornication or adultery?
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by warrior01: 1:42pm On Sep 27, 2015
just4now:
l plead with you in the name of the Lord to jettison your idea it is inspiration from hell. l used to love football until one day the Lord showed me how deep He detests football in the church or church getting involved. In addition He frown at TV stations own by churches from showing it. He said worldly news casting in these stations also infuriate Him. Please always ask Holy Spirit before you introduce anything to the church.

Shalom.

I hope you treated the malaria very well. Sorry and may the good Lord heal you

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by ifeomaekol(f): 1:43pm On Sep 27, 2015
juicee1:
This is what hppens when the church leaves its calling and duty to go meddle in affairs that doesn't relate to it.

What has sport got to do with the work of Christ?

I'll advice you to gather those youths nd use them to preach the word of God instead of kicking some football and making it look like you're doing God's work. Face the duty given to you as a christian which football is not part of. Sports in church is distraction. Don't bring the world into the church. Play your football outside while you face the work of God inside.

This is exactly what happens when christianity becomes dumb-down. Christiansno longer have tasks cos their pastors only require money from them. How many of you would be thinking of hosting football games as a christian hd it been you existed in the time Roman soldiers where persecuting christians nd killing them? Now that christianity has become soft and more worldly with people seeing it as fun all because pastors don't give difficult tasks like going to preach in the Northeast, you now want to start enjoying more by playing football in church. Someone even said it's just football and nothing more...it helpd build the talent of youths in the church. Why don't we bring in modelling and break dancing also?

If you know the task Yahshua christ gve christians nd how far behind they are, you won't even be thinking about sleeping talkless of playing football even outside the church as a true christian.
wow ur comment------food for thought.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by korres00(m): 1:46pm On Sep 27, 2015
sport is good....and evrytin can be a sin or blessing depending on how it is used....thus, If sport is a sin, den 92% of the world is going to hell including our top men of God cos there churches has football teams...
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by korres00(m): 1:48pm On Sep 27, 2015
CertifiedSamuel:

Please where in d bible did God say he detest Sex?? When 'couples' indulge in Sex, is it fornication or adultery?
lolzzz...fornitery i guess...
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by evisexxy(f): 1:48pm On Sep 27, 2015
Please pray about it and when you have peace within. Go ahead it's a very nice and beautiful idea. God bless you as you birth this idea.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by yak(m): 1:53pm On Sep 27, 2015
go study d UK FA cup. it started as a Christian movement. who knows, some football lovers may b brought to Christ through this medium. nothing contradicts d Bible with dat. mind u bodily EXERCISE PROFITS a little

meanwhile am a coach, u may need my services wen u start

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by NiRfreak(m): 2:01pm On Sep 27, 2015
We cant all be pastors and ministers of God.....If so, there wouldn't have been the need for destiny and providence to produce the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Albert einstein ,Michael jackson, Dangote...etc Our life purpose can never be thesam.....where u find your fulfillment maximising your God given potential is your life purpose. Sin is overrated. We should focus on building peoples talent and potential than depressing and destroying their life purpose with fear and hell based concept of sin. If it is a sin to play football then it is a sin for nature to bless u with the talent

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Sep 27, 2015
Please go ahead. It is a very good idea, keeps the youths off the streets and channels their energy to something useful. But always remember to give God all the glory whether you win or loose and encourage team spirit. It is what makes a good future leader.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Generalkorex(m): 2:02pm On Sep 27, 2015
blueto:
I have the privilege of being a Youth executive in my Church. And since I enamour football, I have been thinking of initiating and establishing a football group, were we can train and organise friendly matches with other Churches as well.

But I feel skeptical about this innovation because it is unbiblical. Thus, it may be unacceptable to God.

Redeem christian church of God at ogudu beside total has a mini football beach and a basketball court so.
Nothing spoil.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Touchey: 2:06pm On Sep 27, 2015
redcliff:

What they should do is study the word of God together. Simple!

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 27, 2015
Many Christians are myopic and make Christianity look like hard work. It is not. This is why your so called new converts go back to the world a week after accepting Christ. Y'all judgmental and feel like God's spokes man. Christ has done everything for us, ours is to accept his gift of salvation, favor, protection and all in faith. Winning souls is not by carrying bible and knocking on doors, its about others actually seeing Christ in you everyday. Which is something you can never achieve by "living holy" but by accepting and living in Christ's own righteousness. Please re evaluate your so called christian life and don't say things that make you sound like you are loosing your mind.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Dpearlz: 2:16pm On Sep 27, 2015
blueto:

Brother, God doesn't abhor sex, he created it for crying out loud. He hates Sex outside the canopy of marriage (1 man to 1 wife).

As concerning the topic. it is not a bad idea at all.

If you initiate the weekly football training session for youths, my guess is that other people will come and join you from time to time.
Here you can get to know these people and preach the Gospel to them. It is easier to reach out to somebody you already have some form of relationship with than someone you just met randomly on the streets.

The devil always uses what people love to lure them to hell, we as God's children should also try our best to spread the gospel through as many means as possible.

That's what I feel though.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by davesndy: 2:23pm On Sep 27, 2015
just4now:
l plead with you in the name of the Lord to jettison your idea it is inspiration from hell. l used to love football until one day the Lord showed me how deep He detests football in the church or church getting involved. In addition He frown at TV stations own by churches from showing it. He said worldly news casting in these stations also infuriate Him. Please always ask Holy Spirit before you introduce anything to the church.

Shalom.
Oga. Please give scriptures or scriptural backups and not ur dreams and imaginations.
Worldy news casting! Really? Oga wake up o
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by deymolar(m): 2:24pm On Sep 27, 2015
How I wish my comment was front page, pls Mr Just4now, ppl lyk u make ppl wu don't knw d scriptures get lost more n more! D Bible says "bodily exercise profits little" so it means dia is a profiting in working out including playing football, moreso, God has giving every1 talent in which 2 evangelise and expand d Kingdom, wat if d OP's God Vision 4 his life is 2 reach out 2 souls tru football (sport) evangelism dat starts from his passion? U will derail him with ur fake prophecy abi? Pls d bible says d "Spirit of d Prophet is subjected 2 d Prophet" and d Word of God (D Bible) is d more sure word of prophecy! All we nid 2 do is locate our purpose and follow it puting God n His Kingdom first n d sky is ur beginning! OP follow ur heart but put God first in it! B careful of pple wu will want 2 use dia shallow understanding of d scriptures 2 derail u by Studying 2 show thyself approved unto God a workman wu is not ashamed rightly dividing d word of truth! God bless ur Vision!
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by mikaael(m): 2:24pm On Sep 27, 2015
blueto:

What are u sayiin?...so God detest sex even wif married couples?...na wa to u o
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Sep 27, 2015
just4now:

Shalom.

you are a bloody liar
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Sep 27, 2015
just4now:

Shalom.
It is people like you that will remain stupid for the rest of their lives. Religious bigots
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by deymolar(m): 2:36pm On Sep 27, 2015
yak:
go study d UK FA cup. it started as a Christian movement. who knows, some football lovers may b brought to Christ through this medium. nothing contradicts d Bible with dat. mind u bodily EXERCISE PROFITS a little

meanwhile am a coach, u may need my services wen u start

God bless u jare! Some pple are just 2 over Christian! Dat person saying Pastors have not told dia pple 2 preach n dos nt suporting football don't read dia bilble @ all! Exercising is scriptural (sport) ia as much as u put God 1st! Every1 has a minstry which God has calld him/her 2, it culd b farming, sporting, trading, pulpit ministry e.t.c. Just make sure Matt6:33 is part of ur guiding scripture n u will shine more n more till d perfkt day in Christ!
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by qreem231(m): 2:37pm On Sep 27, 2015
just4now:

Shalom.
oh please!!! even mountain of fire and miracle ministries has a football unit playing in one of the local leagues. I am a redeemer and several times,we have organised football competitions all to the glory of God. I just dey wonder the God wey u dey talk for here.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Etruth: 2:37pm On Sep 27, 2015
blueto:

God doesn't detest sex. On the contrary he approves of it, but within the boundaries of marriage. He detests fornication and adultery, not sex. Get it right, sex isn't same thing as fornication.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by ewosk: 2:38pm On Sep 27, 2015
Op are you waiting for it is Written.....oya look at it

For it is Written

"Bodily Exercise profited little""

So get the little profit from the bodily exercise of football....if you dont introduce the football team will it stop the youth of the church from playing football...

Nah i dont think so; they will still go to the field where all manners of person's assemble...my guy started smoking indian hemp from d field.

I know guys who became serious in church because of the church team...

But pray about it and see if it will bring help the lives of the youth there...
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Sep 27, 2015
just4now:

Shalom.
please sir kindly explain the 'TV Station part' cos how would the gospel be preached to unbelievers all over world ? undecided
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Walelavender(m): 2:42pm On Sep 27, 2015
Nothing wrong about it bro. Let brotherly love continue via playing football. Let genuine prayers be said before and after the match. God can save souls and meet needs through this medium. However discourage Baba Ijebu and Sports betting in your football club. MFM that started small is now being promoted to the GLO premier league. COD not doing badly too.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by successinlife: 2:44pm On Sep 27, 2015
There is no how i will allow this type of question fly past me,no way.THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH SPORT IN ANY RELIGIOUS SETUP muslim,xtian,traditional or whatever.There is alot of hypocracy in us as Nigerian or let me say in our Nigerian society hypocracy rules.Please what is bad in sport that makes it diabolical?God can not spit fury because a righteous xtian or muslim takes to sport,no way.

The problem we have as Nigerians is inbuilt,i mean it is factory fitted and it takes alot of time before we can really change.Holiness has got nothing against sport if it is practised in honesty but a case where it is practised with bias,lies or falsification then it becomes total sin.

In our society even religious leaders lies,all religion is inclusive with no exception.Let us cleanse ourselves of lies and false lives and do things the right way instead of saying God say this,God say that when we the mouthpiece are full of double deals.I see nothing wrong in sport within religoius circle.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Karleb(m): 3:09pm On Sep 27, 2015
What's bad in that? Wake up people, this is the 21st century!
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by rocoh(m): 3:11pm On Sep 27, 2015
blueto:

ITS A GOOD THING BRO.Even MFM has a football club . Its a good thing for the youths. The reason why we have a high level of vice is that the youth do not have something positive, cheap and easily accessible to channel their youthful energy into.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Gaucho(m): 3:12pm On Sep 27, 2015
City of David has a thriving football club and a foreign manager,Mountain Of Fire too in Nduka Ugbade,Redeem too. It's a war of keeping the boys away from the streets to be useful member of the society and make money from their God given talent. I don't think God will be angry because of that. Those boys that I know have gone for trials abroad and some have signed long time ago. They are putting food on the table of their family now. The God I know,I don't think he would be angry because of that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Comparison Between The Bible And Quran With Proof. / Weaknesses That Beset Youths And How To Overcome Them / Antichrist At Work!the Maddest Novel History Ever Produced. (the Davinci Code)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.