Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:55 AM

Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor (1420 Views)

Joshua Iginla Visits Holy Sepulchre Where Jesus Was Crucified & Buried (pics) / Thoughts On Religious Intolerance And Muslim - Christian Relations / Photo:mode Of Dressing Muslim, Christian And The Third Unknown (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by rabzy01: 8:10am On Sep 29, 2015
A professor at an Iowa college says as a Christian, he has to say that Jesus was a Muslim.

Ignoring the historical timeline in which Jesus taught some 2,000 years ago in the Middle East and the advent of Islam is dated six centuries later, after Christianity had impacted much of the known globe, Robert F. Shedinger, who wrote “Was Jesus a Muslim?” said his research convinced him of Jesus as aligning in thought with Islam.

In a video report that was uncovered by CampusReform.org, the professor is interviewed by In The Community television in Raleigh, N.C.,

Shedinger said the issue arose when a Muslim student challenged his teaching about Islam, and he rethought not only Islam, but all of religion.

He came to perceive Islam as a social justice system instead of a religion, and found that he thought the same about Jesus.

“I had to rethink what Islam is,” Shedinger said in the interview. “I came to the conclusion that it was a social justice movement and I think that’s who Jesus was in the first century so I conclude Jesus is more like a Muslim.”

He admitted it would “be a stretch” for many to follow his process and consider Jesus a Muslim, but, “It doesn’t make me uncomfortable any more.”

“Even as a Christian I have to answer yes to that,” he said

“We’re not trying to aggravate nobody,” said the interviewer, Abdush Shahid Munir.

Noting that his audience included Christians, Muslims “and other denominations,” Munir asked Shedinger to explain this book.

Shedinger said he re-evaluated a lot of the research he’d encountered during his training, and he suddenly recognized “there were a lot of scholars out there who are arguing the points I make in the book.”

He described his book as a “call for Christians and Muslims to work together to promote social justice.”

His book is published by Fortress Press, the academic book imprint of Augsburg Fortress, which “is noted for its significant publishing in the areas of religious studies, Jewish-Christian studies, African American religion, religion and science, feminist theology, and ethics.”

“The Fortress Press is academic, ecumenical, inclusive, and international,” the company explains.

For more and a video of his interview, visit:
http://mobile.wnd.com/2012/07/christian-prof-says-jesus-was-muslim/
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by chocolateme(f): 8:11am On Sep 29, 2015
If he was, then y are they hatin on him?
Where are all the nairaland Ishmaels, reply.
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by rabzy01: 8:13am On Sep 29, 2015
chocolateme:

Oya choco, no book FTC. Say something nah..
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by Segadem(m): 8:14am On Sep 29, 2015
stop this blasphemy

3 Likes

Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by Oladimejjy(m): 8:17am On Sep 29, 2015
Jesus is a Muslim take it or you leave it....cos we have so many proof in the Bible written by..........

1 Like

Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by realtestament(m): 8:20am On Sep 29, 2015
People still dey mumu like dis angry

1 Like

Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by jhydebaba(m): 8:23am On Sep 29, 2015
Nothing like christianity or islam while Jesus lived.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by Annunaki(m): 8:37am On Sep 29, 2015
I laugh in spanish grin muslim ko terrorist ni tongue
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by saintkash(m): 8:39am On Sep 29, 2015
chocolateme:

Muslims neva n will neva hate on Jesus.... be truthful to urself and ur God.. on what occasion that u hav seen or heard Muslims hating or disregarding Jesus... The only contention Muslims have with Christians over jesus is "jesus is not God" just as most Christian claim He is, while some says jesus is the son of God but Muslims says jesus is a prophet and messenger of God amongst others... do u call that hating?
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by rabzy01: 8:41am On Sep 29, 2015
No, they don't hate him. Instead they love him. They love him more than the Christians do. This is a fact.

Do you know that for one to ne a Muslim he or she has to believe in Jesus as God sent?

Do you know that Muslims don't abuse Jesus?

Do you know that any Muslim who abuses Jesus is considered an unbeliver?

Do you know that Muslims don't worship Jesus because he (Jesus) never said "worship me" to anyone but they (muslims) worship Him (God) who sent him?

chocolateme:
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 29, 2015
If you like you can call Him Buddhist, the fact still remains that, He will judge prophet of Islam and the world. Many Muslims have wrong proof of their counter from the Bible when a Christian take a verse from the quran they say such Christian lies even if the verse is in the exact place quoted from the quran
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by truthman2012(m): 8:51am On Sep 29, 2015
Irony!!!

Jesus was a muslim who built churches by his disciples.

The disciples were muslims who wrote the Gospel and built churches.

Moses was a muslim who received the Laws for the Jews, which should mean the Jews are muslims. Are they?

Quran is full of lies!!!

2 Likes

Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by rabzy01: 10:00am On Sep 29, 2015
Please help me with biblical references for the following:

(1) Where Jesus said he was a Christian or said that the name of the religion he brought is Christianity.

(2) Where Jesus built a place of worship and called it church.

(3) When and where was the first church built.

Can you confirm to me that all those who wrote the "Gospel" were disciples?

Thank you.

truthman2012:
Irony!!!

Jesus was a muslim who built churches by his disciples.

The disciples were muslims who wrote the Gospel and built churches.

Moses was a muslim who received the Laws for the Jews, which should mean the Jews are muslims. Are they?

Quran is full of lies!!!
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by Anas09: 10:12am On Sep 29, 2015
The man who said this did not ask certain questions.
1)When was Islam formed?
2) Why are Jesus' followers being beheaded everyday just for believing in him?
3) Why do muslims love Jesus but kill his follwers?
4) Why didn't jesus exibit one single trait of Islam?
5) Why do Muslims want Jesus removed from the world and only Islam established?
Why do Muslims hate Jews and Christians so much?
Isorite, he has choosen his path.
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by stev2526: 11:21am On Sep 29, 2015
Go and read the bible, make sure u read it with understanding, ask the holy spirit to guide u if u hv humans if u don't give ur life to Christ and he will gv his spirit to u , u will c on several occasions where Jesus declared himself God and where God (father) declared him also... Few references are as follow john10:30, john 14:6-10, john 16:2-15,john17:5-11, romans9:5, Hebrew 1, Colossians 1:12-16. as for Some one thinking Jesus as a Muslim ! How can one who was before Mohammad (the founder of islam) be a Muslim? As Mohammad been a prophet of God read this bible reference with keynote Colossians 2:23, galassian1 :8,gal 4:8-29.... So my brethren give ur life to Christ now... Jesus loves u
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by Nobody: 11:28am On Sep 29, 2015
stev2526:
Go and read the bible, make sure u read it with understanding, ask the holy spirit to guide u if u hv humans if u don't give ur life to Christ and he will gv his spirit to u , u will c on several occasions where Jesus declared himself God and where God (father) declared him also... Few references are as follow john10:30, john 14:6-10, john 16:2-15,john17:5-11, romans9:5, Hebrew 1, Colossians 1:12-16. as for Some one thinking Jesus as a Muslim ! How can one who was before Mohammad (the founder of islam) be a Muslim? As Mohammad been a prophet of God read this bible reference with keynote Colossians 2:23, galassian1 :8,gal 4:8-29.... So my brethren give ur life to Christ now... Jesus loves u

Doesn't look like you have understanding though. How can you give your life to someone you do not know? Are you saying you are lifeless at the moment? What does that make you,a Zombie?
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by johnydon22(m): 12:08pm On Sep 29, 2015
If there is a historical Jesus then he must have been a [size=20]Judaic man[/size] (Practised Judaism) which was the religion of the jews of which his parents belonged to, in fact in the bible Jesus was shown to have practised Judaism, he went to the synagogue and stuff.

Who ever think Jesus was a muslim is merely swimming in the idiocy of his own delusion. . .Islam started some centuries after Jesus...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by truthman2012(m): 12:09pm On Sep 29, 2015
rabzy01:
Please help me with biblical references for the following:

(1) Where Jesus said he was a Christian or said that the name of the religion he brought is Christianity.

(2) Where Jesus built a place of worship and called it church.

(3) When and where was the first church built.

Can you confirm to me that all those who wrote the "Gospel" were disciples?

Thank you.

1. Jesus didn't establish a religion, He promised to build His church, which was built by His disciples:

And I say also unto thee, That
thou art Peter, and upon this rock
I WILL BUILD MY CHURCH; and the
gates of hell shall not prevail
against it (Mat. 16:18).

It was in Antioch that the disciples were called Christians because the people saw them behaving like Christ, though it was after Jesus had gone: ''When he found him, he brought
him back to Antioch. Both of them
stayed there with the church for a
full year, teaching large crowds of
people. (It was at Antioch that the
believers were first called
Christians.) Acts 11:26.
Christian means ''like Christ'' We love the name and we answer it.

Jesus knew about the name as he didn't object to it when He sent messages to the churches after he had gone (Rev. 1:4-20).

2. Already answered.

3. See church history here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_church_buildings
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by Elimamakundaray: 3:08pm On Sep 29, 2015
Hmmmmm...let's just continue praying for our muslim brothers and sisters cos I believe that they know the truth but they are only scared of what other muslim brothers and sisters, imam will say about them Or do to them. That the spirit of boldness may come upon them that they may stand up for that which is truth.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by Elimamakundaray: 3:16pm On Sep 29, 2015
Pls the ablution Jesus did does not make him a muslim.. Get it right, he was only Demonstrating servant leadership to his disciples. Islam came some 600 and something years after Christ and you claim that Mohammed is the father of Islam....

HOW?
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by rabzy01: 3:21pm On Sep 29, 2015
Is like you dont know when Islam started.

Ok, Judaism. Are confirnming the fact that Jesus was never a Christian and had never practiced Christianity?Are you saying that the religion he practiced was JUDAISM?

That is a good one. Now tell me, when did JUDAISM started and who named it so.

johnydon22:
If there is a historical Jesus then he must have been a [size=20]Judaic man[/size] (Practised Judaism) which was the religion of the jews of which his parents belonged to, in fact in the bible Jesus was shown to have practised Judaism, he went to the synagogue and stuff.

Who ever think Jesus was a muslim is merely swimming in the idiocy of his own delusion. . .Islam started some centuries after Jesus...
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by mubarakopeyemi(m): 3:21pm On Sep 29, 2015
chocolateme:

The Muslims are not hating on Jesus (Iesa), surely Jesus (Iesa) Is a muslim prophet and is beloved by muslims. We wont accept the biblical version of Jesus.

Because the Muslim Jesus was a prophet, he wasn't God and Son of God at the same time as claimed in the bible.
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by johnydon22(m): 3:33pm On Sep 29, 2015
rabzy01:
Is like you dont know when Islam started.

Ok, Judaism. Are confirnming the fact that Jesus was never a Christian and had never practiced Christianity?Are you saying that the religion he practiced was JUDAISM?

That is a good one. Now tell me, when did JUDAISM started and who named it so.

What ever they tell you guys in the Mosque has really messed up your brain, you need to go collect your brain back from the mosque.

Just seeing this reply shows you are not worth my disturbing myself over to engage. . Who said anything about Jesus and Christianity here..

Please here read about Judaism https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism Then you have to go rest your bones on Jesus being a muslim that is a blatantly idiotic claim..
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by Annunaki(m): 3:52pm On Sep 29, 2015
johnydon22:

What ever they tell you guys in the Mosque has really messed up your brain, you need to go collect your brain back from the mosque.

Just seeing this reply shows you are not worth my disturbing myself over to engage. . Who said anything about Jesus and Christianity here..

Please here read about Judaism https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism Then you have to go rest your bones on Jesus being a muslim that is a blatantly idiotic claim..

Labelling it an idiotic claim is actually an understatement.
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by rabzy01: 3:53pm On Sep 29, 2015
Habaaaa Johny!! No need to be childish here and now.

If only you can cool your temper and read the title of this topic, you will understand that the person who said Jesus was a Muslim is indeed a Christian like you, not a Muslim. That person is a Christian and a professor in the US. I only copied his interview and posted here. I even refer readers to the site where I got it. Go there you can even whatch his interview.

Apart from that what else didi I do? What is my offence? Responding to nairalanders query or asking simple questions which you cannot answer?

From your responses you yourself will know who between the parties who has to go and get its brain.

johnydon22:

Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by rabzy01: 4:05pm On Sep 29, 2015
Though you did not answer all my questions, I will comment on your answers.

1- You confirmed that Jesus was not a Christian. So why are you Christian?

2- To claim that he did not establish a religion is quet funny.

3 Good to know that jesus did not call his diciples Christians, but the unbelievers did.

4- It is also good to know that you know that jesus did not build a church, but others did.

truthman2012:

1. Jesus didn't establish a religion, He promised to build His church, which was built by His disciples:

And I say also unto thee, That
thou art Peter, and upon this rock
I WILL BUILD MY CHURCH; and the
gates of hell shall not prevail
against it (Mat. 16:18).

It was in Antioch that the disciples were called Christians because the people saw them behaving like Christ, though it was after Jesus had gone: ''When he found him, he brought
him back to Antioch. Both of them
stayed there with the church for a
full year, teaching large crowds of
people. (It was at Antioch that the
believers were first called
Christians.) Acts 11:26.
Christian means ''like Christ'' We love the name and we answer it.

Jesus knew about the name as he didn't object to it when He sent messages to the churches after he had gone (Rev. 1:4-20).

2. Already answered.

3. See church history here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_church_buildings

Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by truthman2012(m): 4:38pm On Sep 29, 2015
rabzy01:
Though you did not answer all my questions, I will comment on your answers.

1- You confirmed that Jesus was not a Christian. So why are you Christian?

2- To claim that he did not establish a religion is quet funny.

3 Good to know that jesus did not call his diciples Christians, but the unbelievers did.

4- It is also good to know that you know that jesus did not build a church, but others did.

Yes, Christianity is not a religion, it is a way of life. Note that the disciples were not in any form of religious worship when the unbelievers observed them to be behaving like Christ. That was a good testimony from other people outside their group. It would have been self-praise if the disciples called themselves Christians - Christ-like.

Jesus was more than a Christian because He is the Christ. The meaning of Christian is Christ-like. Would he have called Himself Christ-like when He is the Christ? It is the followers that can be like Him, Christ-like.

Jesus said He would build His church and the gate of hell cannot prevail against it, meaning no satan or islam can eradicate His church. It doesn't matter whether the church was built by Himself or His disciples. He wanted the church built and it was built, period. Then He was and is communicating with the church till date because He is alive. All other prophets died and their bones remain in the grave but Jesus.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by adullam210: 7:58pm On Sep 29, 2015
No confusion, isa is different from Jesus!
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by Richirich713: 6:54am On Oct 08, 2015
I don't get why people think jesus was muslim when it's clear that he was not. The fact that Jesus called himself the son of god already proves he was not muslim.
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by adullam210: 7:12am On Oct 08, 2015
Richirich713:
I don't get why people think jesus was muslim when it's clear that he was not. The fact that Jesus called himself the son of god already proves he was not muslim.
a lie repeated over and over so that it can become truth
! I believe Jesus is not isa, eg, Jesus description of men when they get to heaven is different from that of the quran where men will be given virgins to marry, Jesus says no marriage in heaven, and that we, in heaven will be like the angels, no male female. This single point makes it impossible for a sane person to refer to Jesus in the Bible as a Muslim.
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by Kudducini(m): 7:24am On Oct 08, 2015
Na Wa Oh Una No go Stop This
My God Vs Your God Version??
Re: Jesus Was A Muslim - Christian Professor by ProfessorPeter(m): 7:52am On Oct 08, 2015
Yes. Let us agree that Jesus was a Muslim. The Islam Jesus Practiced was totally different from what Muhammad practiced. Jesus preached peace and His own people rejected him and no one was kill. But Muhammad was rejected by his own people, he raised a rag tag army, who went killing anybody who disagreed with his Islam, What about looting and raiding of caravans by Muhammad's gang of thieves to established his Islam? Did Jesus marry a six years old girl? ,

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

10 Gospel Songs You Should See / Kerry's Visit To Nigeria, And A Puzzling Itinerary / Can A Polygamous Man Make Heaven?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.