Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,806 members, 7,956,061 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:06 PM

~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ (1981 Views)

Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? / Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing / What Does Your Name Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Winnergal(f): 11:04pm On Apr 18, 2009
Does Your Name(First/Last Name) Have An Influence On You/Your Destiny . . .?

Or is it just a cliche' . .  .?

People bear names like 'Esubiyi' et al . . .
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Nobody: 11:07pm On Apr 18, 2009
i can say for a fact my last name certainly does describe my person.
although, im not so sure about my destiny.
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Winnergal(f): 11:11pm On Apr 18, 2009
OMO IBO:

i can say for a fact my last name certainly does describe my person.
although, im not so sure about my destiny.

I know short people who have surnames like 'short' . . .
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Nobody: 9:35am On Apr 19, 2009
are you referring to english or american names?

i doubt african or even NIgerian names have anything similar to that. our names have proper meanings
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by iice(f): 4:54pm On Apr 19, 2009
@Topic personally no. My name is a misdirection of my character cheesy

But my brothers are aptly named. Legends grin
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Nobody: 4:56pm On Apr 19, 2009
No.
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 19, 2009
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .

I hope it does. cheesy
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Sissy3(f): 8:15pm On Apr 19, 2009
my last name is not even close to anything me
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Nobody: 8:41pm On Apr 19, 2009
Sometimes, I don't know why married women keep their maiden names.

Me, Mines have nothing to do with me o
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by ChinenyeN(m): 9:42pm On Apr 19, 2009
I actually thought about this quite a while ago, and all my names don't particularly describe me (as I see myself -- or as I would like to see myself), but they seem very representative of my life and the interaction between me and my environment[s]. So me, I'm a believer in names affecting people's lives (how they conduct themselves, how they are viewed by others, etc. etc.). I also do believe in names having a psychological impact on a person's life, and I do believe that the psychological impact can often times manifest itself in reality.
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Nobody: 2:52am On Apr 20, 2009
Mine does have an impact. It means 'prominient'. And that's just what I turn out to be wherever I find myself. Sometimes prominient in a good way, sometime not in such a good way embarassed . . .but prominient nevertheless.
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by iice(f): 3:17am On Apr 20, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

Sometimes, I don't know why married women keep their maiden names.

Me, Mines have nothing to do with me o

Han han, me i love my last name. . .i would rather change my first name
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Nobody: 4:18am On Apr 20, 2009
Iice, we're opposite here tongue
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by SeanT21(f): 4:39am On Apr 20, 2009
My name is "Peace" cheesy and people tell me that I am not peaceful. embarassed
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by teissys(f): 2:27pm On Apr 27, 2009
My middle name is Waleghwa, meaning that I have been disowned. I hate that name, Sometimes I go through experiences that make me have a re-think about the name my parents gave me. . . cry cry cry
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Gabry(f): 2:58am On Apr 28, 2009
teissys:

My middle name is Waleghwa, meaning that I have been disowned. I hate that name, Sometimes I go through experiences that make me have a re-think about the name my parents gave me. . . cry cry cry

Oh my dear. . . Common now. . . I dont think that could be the meaning of your middle name when you parents thought of naming you naa. . . Am sure there is another meaning to that. have you asked them? Anyways, your name sound beautiful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

@Topic,

My native name does. My native name is Yen Li (That be chinko now) and it means Free Spirited. It 100% resembles me.

My first name comes from the bible and I dont think it matches me cause Im too yeye for that sef. LOL grin
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by teissys(f): 8:24am On Apr 28, 2009
Thanx Gabby. The name means that. Anyways, I was named after my grandma but she wants me to change that name; maybe at one point in life, it brought her some ill-luck or something cheesy
We also got some other funny, ugly names like;
Kina- Meaning an abyss
Majala- Meaning Dust bin
Malemba- Meaning Tea Leaves
Mwamburi- Meaning He-goat
All these are people's names grin grin grin. Inconsiderate, huh?
Like my mum's name (Mkakala) means that she's the wife of a Somali pirate. . . Tehehehehehehehe
Never will I give my kidz such names, they're too spooky for my liking
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Gabry(f): 9:07am On Apr 28, 2009
He goat LMAO!!! grin grin grin Thats funny ooo,. . . grin cheesy

But even thouhg the meanings are funny but the sounds are quite nice . cheesy wink smiley

One of my colleague here , his name is Preety . . . Can you imagine?!?!? One day I met his mom and I ask her why did she name him preety she said she just love the sound of it and I ask her does she know what does it mean? She said no and I told her and she got shock and laugh.
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by iice(f): 4:45am On Apr 29, 2009
teissys:

Kina- Meaning an abyss

I like this name. . .
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Phemour: 8:37pm On Apr 29, 2009
Yep, am phemi pple like me alot
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by ifyalways(f): 9:33am On Apr 30, 2009
@Teissy,pls what does Macharia mean?it shld be a kukuui name undecided
@Topic,i dont know though my first name is just a replica of who i am and it even rubs on ppl around me . . . .Good things always cheesy kiss
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by teissys(f): 10:03am On Apr 30, 2009
Lol, Ify. I really don't know what the name means because I'm not of that tribe. Your boyfie is a of the Kikuyu tribe? Lol
Welcome to Kenya grin grin grin
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by ifyalways(f): 10:04am On Apr 30, 2009
Nope,Teissy.a very good mutual friend. smiley
welcome to Nigeria cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by teissys(f): 10:16am On Apr 30, 2009
Teheheheheeh . . .
I'm here baibe. . ! In Enugu, you have a broda? Cz I'm single to mingle wink
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by IFELEKE(m): 3:30pm On Apr 30, 2009
My Names Define me and might influence my destiny but that is Subject to my Decison/Control.
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by slimfine(f): 6:53pm On Jun 13, 2009
don't think so! big baloney
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Beaf: 3:11am On Jun 18, 2009
My first name gives me strength when I'm weak.
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Beaf: 3:13am On Jun 18, 2009
If I live up to my last name, very, very many women will be pregnant!!!! grin grin
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by tpiah: 4:36pm On Jun 18, 2009
@ topic

I'm not sure. It could also be the way people around you see your name, that gives the effect.
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by rubi(f): 6:21pm On Jun 22, 2009
My name has a powerful and positive influence upon my life till present I am happy and grateful my parents named me those name
As they say words are powerful so as names are
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by bawomolo(m): 6:49pm On Jun 22, 2009
not at all.

just a myth
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Winnergal(f): 7:37pm On Jun 22, 2009
Beaf:

If I live up to my last name, very, very many women will be pregnant!!!! grin grin

Is ur last name oko to dun?

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Carnival. / Daiko: The Mysterious Leaf / Make A Wish Here And It Will Come True (it Works For Me)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.